Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Portland Trail Blazers 10:00pm 12/12/2015

tiger0330

Legend
Melo played great... Basically made 7 cluch FTs (1 was blown dead)... Great defense, good passing... Only forced about 4 shots... If only we had a coach who could draw up a play during a TO.

Our 4 guards combined for 24 points (AA had 15)... 29 for Lillard, 22 for CJ, and the POR backup duo of Henderson and Crabbe had 24 themselves... So, our guards were outscored by 51 points!!! Yikes.

At least LG wasnt a complete no show on offense, although down the stretch he missed an easy layup, an open 3, and nearly had a turnover on a terrible pass to Melo (CA made a nice play to fight for it, then a beautiful pass to AA for the 3)...

CA and AA combine for 52. NYK wins.

KP had his worst game so far... Fisher should've pulled him earlier in the first quarter... but made the wise decision to keep him on the bench down the stretch...

Lopez getting the offensive board / put back... 1 on 5... Play of the game.

What we saw tonight from Thomas-Quinn-Williams is why we have to endure the stupid plays... accept their flaws... Bc they have something positive to contribute... We need their toughness, athleticism, and their offense. Look, they all have lapses... We saw that tonight... Stupid mistakes on defense... We know that. BUT... OUR GUARDS ARE SO BAD... We need these 3 to help on offense... And we need them to improve, mature, and be part of the future...

Fisher better get off their backs, ease their minds and coax their confidences... Play this trio major minutes for 4-6 weeks and see how they respond.

If Calderon isnt hitting the 3... He sits (like tonight)...

We can only hope Melo gets his stroke back... That this isn't an abberation (like the WAS game)... But the effort, the assertiveness, the force of will... On defense, the glass, for easy buckets... That has to be there consistently, regardless of calls or if shots are falling... And Fisher has to find ways to get Melo decent looks when he comes in after his early fourth quarter hiatus...

Good win... We went 2-8 last 10... So, lets see if this starts a 7-3 run... Or if this is just the start of another 2-8 type plummet.
Great recap. Took a great effort by a lot of players to get it done you hope they can do that on a consistent basis. If they can, they can be the team we saw preseason and first 10 games.

Broadway

All Star
Simple question

Why doesn't Melo play like he did last night in the majority of his games?

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow! I missed the game last night, and thas the road game we win .. My Luck!
Looks like Melo had his best game of the season shooting above 50% plus blocked 2 shots (Remarkable!).
Looking at the stats .. our bench players scored 46 pts, grab half of our rebounds, plus contribute 11 dimes, and only 3 turn-overs .. lead by Quinn/Lance/Galloway

The Jason Kidd Milwaukee Bucks stopped GS win streak at 24 games .. Giannis had a triple-double
Now I don't feel so bad about our two losses to the Bucks lol

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Simple question

Why does't Melo play like he did last night in the majority of his games?
This is what I don't get. Is/was he still recovering from last season's injury? Even his bad decision making games he's better than he has been most of the season scoring-wise.

Maybe because his shots were falling, but he looked like a star last night. Not just because of his efficient, high scoring, also because of the way he was doing it. He looked strong and in control.

Lillard's three to try to win the game scared me, especially because as it was happening it reminded me of him closing out the Houston series. Breen thought of it as well.

That shot from Lopez was awesome. Good game from the Knicks.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Melo played great... Basically made 7 cluch FTs (1 was blown dead)... Great defense, good passing... Only forced about 4 shots... If only we had a coach who could draw up a play during a TO.

Our 4 guards combined for 24 points (AA had 15)... 29 for Lillard, 22 for CJ, and the POR backup duo of Henderson and Crabbe had 24 themselves... So, our guards were outscored by 51 points!!! Yikes.

At least LG wasnt a complete no show on offense, although down the stretch he missed an easy layup, an open 3, and nearly had a turnover on a terrible pass to Melo (CA made a nice play to fight for it, then a beautiful pass to AA for the 3)...

CA and AA combine for 52. NYK wins.

KP had his worst game so far... Fisher should've pulled him earlier in the first quarter... but made the wise decision to keep him on the bench down the stretch...

Lopez getting the offensive board / put back... 1 on 5... Play of the game.

What we saw tonight from Thomas-Quinn-Williams is why we have to endure the stupid plays... accept their flaws... Bc they have something positive to contribute... We need their toughness, athleticism, and their offense. Look, they all have lapses... We saw that tonight... Stupid mistakes on defense... We know that. BUT... OUR GUARDS ARE SO BAD... We need these 3 to help on offense... And we need them to improve, mature, and be part of the future...

Fisher better get off their backs, ease their minds and coax their confidences... Play this trio major minutes for 4-6 weeks and see how they respond.

If Calderon isnt hitting the 3... He sits (like tonight)...

We can only hope Melo gets his stroke back... That this isn't an abberation (like the WAS game)... But the effort, the assertiveness, the force of will... On defense, the glass, for easy buckets... That has to be there consistently, regardless of calls or if shots are falling... And Fisher has to find ways to get Melo decent looks when he comes in after his early fourth quarter hiatus...

Good win... We went 2-8 last 10... So, lets see if this starts a 7-3 run... Or if this is just the start of another 2-8 type plummet.

come on now... so the flavor of the month Prozingis struggles and now you have to move back to the former flavor of the month. This is an aberration , we know it is because we have 10 years of data with carmelo.. he simply doesn't put together complete efforts consistently.. next game he struggles fans will be back to saying his knee hurts.. the guy is a bum.. yea I said it.

BTW what happened in the Utah game? He sucked and the excuse was his knee, refs, etc....

Broadway

All Star
Simple answer: it ain't easy to score 30 plus points a night on over 50% jump shooting in the NBA

Who said good games are only determined by how much you score and how efficient one is? What about the other things related to good play? Better yet a few games before, in particular the Utah game part of this road trip in which he shot 3-11fg, 2ast, 4TOs and all I heard was that his knee could be bothering him still. A couple games later he drops 30+ and reels you guys back in again. Chalk this up in a nutshell..

EMOTIONAL INSTABILITY

Can't even govern your compass of feelings properly. Time to drop reality again

13-21
8-21
3-11
6-18
6-17
9-18
5-16

Remember what I stated early on what his FG usage output would look like this yr...in reply to mafra saying "have to hope Melo gets hot this yr"!

This is what his FGA/FGM have been like this month(DEC and for chunks of his career) while his ast 3.4 and TO 3.7... ratio cancel each other out. There's nothing to see here only an escape by the hairs of our chinny chin-chin win over a hapless Blazer team. We aren't going to lose every game and Carmelo is not going to play like trash every game.

But know this fans(you) will be sweating bullets the next few gms knowing Melo will more than likely be subpar. I won't because I've accurately assessed what he is as a player.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Simple question

Why does't Melo play like he did last night in the majority of his games?

LMFAO ...
We were playing a 10-15 record Portland Blazers team that lost 3 of their starter players in the offseason from their 51 win season team, Blazers had a 19-6 record last year in their first 25 games.

That was the big thing about Melo which always bothered me about him being a star, Melo will score 30 or more points on defenseless or mediocre opponents that we could've beat without Melo's 20 to 30 shot attempts in the game.

tiger0330

Legend
LMFAO ...
We were playing a 10-15 record Portland Blazers team that lost 3 of their starter players in the offseason from their 51 win season team, Blazers had a 19-6 record last year in their first 25 games.

That was the big thing about Melo which always bothered me about him being a star, Melo will score 30 or more points on defenseless or mediocre opponents that we could've beat without Melo's 20 to 30 shot attempts in the game.
This is what bothers me about the win on Saturday, Portland ain't that good and it took a great game by Melo, the best game by Rolo he's had this season, some others getting back on track and the Knicks only win by 2 pts.

We're just ahead of the Bucks in the standings but who is confident we're better than them after they just beat the Warriors. We may only be better than the Nets and the Sixers, which would be another bitter pill for PJ and Knicks fans to swallow.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
This is what I don't get. Is/was he still recovering from last season's injury? Even his bad decision making games he's better than he has been most of the season scoring-wise.

Maybe because his shots were falling, but he looked like a star last night. Not just because of his efficient, high scoring, also because of the way he was doing it. He looked strong and in control.

Lillard's three to try to win the game scared me, especially because as it was happening it reminded me of him closing out the Houston series. Breen thought of it as well.

That shot from Lopez was awesome. Good game from the Knicks.

I guess it is just me, but I don't like to throw that word "star" around.. Carmelo looked like any other volume shooter hitting most of his shots on a given night. Actually late in the game he was saved by some bad calls, one of them was clearly and offensive foul on mason plumlee where carmelo out of control dipped his shoulder clearly into plumlee who had beat him to the spot..

I tend to watch a lot of NBA games in a given night, and what carmelo did is what you see from real stars on a nightly basis.. take a look at what john wall is doing of late, or kyle lowry, or Paul George, or durant, or west brook, the list can go on and on..

Kiyaman

Legend
This is what bothers me about the win on Saturday, Portland ain't that good and it took a great game by Melo, the best game by Rolo he's had this season, some others getting back on track and the Knicks only win by 2 pts.

We're just ahead of the Bucks in the standings but who is confident we're better than them after they just beat the Warriors. We may only be better than the Nets and the Sixers, which would be another bitter pill for PJ and Knicks fans to swallow.

I missed the game but i seen the stat-sheet of the game .. Melo received 39 minute of playing time in Saturday game. Remember Melo don't participate in fast break basket unless Melo is able to score.
When Melo plays 40 minute in a game that mean Melo played 10 minute in EACH quarter.
Which mean Melo is in every "Line-Up" throughout the game slowing the tempo down of the young players!!!

Plus the type of leadership Melo shows on defense can be seen on Rondo's dunk ...
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/B0...p4?versionId=jKJJjJ5qONcpZxY6eyDNXejFwJVuxyFz

blob:https%3A//vine.co/dda1c44d-8a1a-469a-a054-40c90e478684

Kiyaman

Legend
I guess it is just me, but I don't like to throw that word "star" around.. Carmelo looked like any other volume shooter hitting most of his shots on a given night. Actually late in the game he was saved by some bad calls, one of them was clearly and offensive foul on mason plumlee where carmelo out of control dipped his shoulder clearly into plumlee who had beat him to the spot..

I tend to watch a lot of NBA games in a given night, and what carmelo did is what you see from real stars on a nightly basis.. take a look at what john wall is doing of late, or kyle lowry, or Paul George, or durant, or west brook, the list can go on and on..

So True !!!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been a star this season. The only reason why he stands out is because of his past All-Star (real All-Star, not last season) seasons. Naturally we're gonna talk about him a lot more than most of the other players on the team now.

I don't expect or hope much for anything different from how he played most of this season anymore. Yeah, I do want him to be above average consistently, but he rarely has even been scoring well, which is what he's famous for. A lot of times he has gotten into Stoudemire territory when he used to turn over the ball or get blocked a lot. He hasn't quite gotten there, but yeah.

mafra

Legend
come on now... so the flavor of the month Prozingis struggles and now you have to move back to the former flavor of the month. This is an aberration , we know it is because we have 10 years of data with carmelo.. he simply doesn't put together complete efforts consistently.. next game he struggles fans will be back to saying his knee hurts.. the guy is a bum.. yea I said it.

BTW what happened in the Utah game? He sucked and the excuse was his knee, refs, etc....

If that's the gist of the theme you came away with after reading my post... I would seriously recommend taking some online courses to improve your reading comprehension.

Porzingis struggled bc he is a rookie and just played 3 games in 4 days (or something)... All on the road. Kristaps won't be the flavor of the month... He is herpes baby... He's not going away.

mafra

Legend
LMFAO ...

To all of you who watch all of these other NBA teams.... Why would you believe we stand a chance vs POR? Lillard and CJ are head and shoulders better than our guards... This is a guard-driven league... Their guards out-scored ours by 51 points!

Some are comparing Melo to guards? The dude is a BIG scoring FWD. of course he is not Wall or Westbrook.

Melo is playing the best defense we've seen from him... He is rebounding... He is passing more (by his standard)... Defenses lock him down with overemphasis and attention in the 4th... Yet our guards suck, so they can't take advantage of that afforded space.

Recapping the game at hand shouldn't entail a discourse on Melo's entire career. Melo was a great a few years ago... Terrible and hurt the last 2 and a quarter... He's no longer an all star or a dominant player... He's not even consistently good...

Big deal? If Melo sucks or is great, with or without Melo... I will be watching and rooting and hoping... After each game, I will assess performance based on that game... Call out a dog and salute a warrior.

Some are so much on the lunatic fringe everything is all Melo all the time. Mellow out boys... The problem with the Knicks is the same as it always has been... Crappy guards.

On a night Vintage Melo finally resurfaced from Hades... Appreciate it... Bitch about the crappy guards who nearly handed POR the win.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
If that's the gist of the theme you came away with after reading my post... I would seriously recommend taking some online courses to improve your reading comprehension.

Porzingis struggled bc he is a rookie and just played 3 games in 4 days (or something)... All on the road. Kristaps won't be the flavor of the month... He is herpes baby... He's not going away.

honestly sometimes it is tough to tell what where you are going with your post because it seems as if you are posting while holding the pom poms.... maybe it is your writing skills that needs improving? how about this, I promise to take some more reading comp courses if you promise to post more objectively.

Porzingis didn't struggle just because he is a rookie, gotta give some credit to how teams have been playing him and honestly he has had some tough matchups, ones I think he will have problems with 5 years in. He is a 7'3 guy trying to play the wing and he really doesn't have any wing player skills.. shooting is just not a WING skill... saying he is a rookie paying a stretch of games in so many days is really bailing him out here.. ITs more than that, while he has had some good games and got the attention of the NBA a lot of that has come off hustle plays, teams are paying a little more attention.. now time for him to adjust a bit .. meanwhile carmelo who has been a disaster plays a good game and all of a sudden we are talking as if he put up a historical performance. You even go as far to blame fisher for carmelo not getting good looks.. I know fisher hasn't been the greatest coach, but you need to take an honest look at the guys we have.. they are not that good, most of them that is..

So forgive me if I ramble at times I tend to address different points when I post, sometimes it covers a variety of other post that preceded mine...