Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Atlanta Hawks 7:30pm 12/26/2015

tiger0330

Legend
Fish threw out the white flag. Save energy for that game in Boston. Putting Grant in to try to make up a big lead by Atl isn't going to work and they need guard help.

If we go 2-8 ending in that Spurs game Jan 8 PJ is going to be looking for help, 10 day contracts start around then so if we get help it may be that way. If PJ has balls he tries to make a deal for Jennings or Lawson, I don't think they're PJ type of players so I'm doubtful.

tiger0330

Legend
Tony Wroten cleared waivers but I suggest you check out his numbers before suggesting we get him. They're terrible on top of the fact that he's on a minutes restriction after ACL surgery.

My prediction Jimmer gets called up if we're way below .500 early Jan.

knicksin60

Starter
Garbage team! I think the likelihood that I win the NYC Powerball is higher than the Knicks avoiding a 14-24 record after 38 games. We have a team that is the true definition of non playoff. They are going to beat up on the Sixers, the Nets and the Lakers all season long but at the same time are going to get anally rapped by all the other NBA teams with a winning record. We have a coach whose purpose here is to be a Phil Jackson experiment. Everybody on this roster and front office can GTFO except for Porzingis. No reason to go into an offseason spending the millions of dollars that they did so that the team can come out and be an utter embarrassment once again. We have lived through this bullcr*p with Scott Layden, Isiah Thomas, Steve Mills and with Phil Jackson. I love the Knicks so much but I just had it with them.

mafra

Legend
Garbage team! I think the likelihood that I win the NYC Powerball is higher than the Knicks avoiding a 14-24 record after 38 games. We have a team that is the true definition of non playoff. They are going to beat up on the Sixers, the Nets and the Lakers all season long but at the same time are going to get anally rapped by all the other NBA teams with a winning record. We have a coach whose purpose here is to be a Phil Jackson experiment. Everybody on this roster and front office can GTFO except for Porzingis. No reason to go into an offseason spending the millions of dollars that they did so that the team can come out and be an utter embarrassment once again. We have lived through this bullcr*p with Scott Layden, Isiah Thomas, Steve Mills and with Phil Jackson. I love the Knicks so much but I just had it with them.

The only hope we have is (1) Melo keeps playing the way he has since POR; (2) we slide into the abyss right now so quickly that Melo is forced to do a soul-check come end of Jan.

If we can find a way to trade Melo, Lopez, Affalo, Calderon for a young building block, a few assets or draft picks... Then we can earnestly build for the future.

Melo for Kyrie baby! Make it happen Phil.

CLE would sport a James-Melo-love front court and that could battle SA or GSW...

Bottom line: if NYK cannot get a legit PG by Aug... The Melo-PORZ won't work... You just can't compete in the NBA without guards... And we've had a bunch of dudes for basically a decade now.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Didn't see the game but the thread tells it all. Should have drafted Mudiay at 4 instead of the Zinger. The kid the Bulls drafted at the back end of the first round Portis is better than the Zinger...SEC player of the year and can shoot just like the Zinger...could have had them both but it is what it is... This will continue to happen until PJAx figures out he doesn't have MJ, Scottie, or Kobe so u need better backcourt play....Just the fact Sasha is on our roster should tell you everything...what happened to the Cuban kid btw????

Didn't see the game but the thread tells it all. Should have drafted Mudiay at 4 instead of the Zinger. The kid the Bulls drafted at the back end of the first round Portis is better than the Zinger...SEC player of the year and can shoot just like the Zinger...could have had them both but it is what it is... This will continue to happen until PJAx figures out he doesn't have MJ, Scottie, or Kobe so u need better backcourt play....Just the fact Sasha is on our roster should tell you everything...what happened to the Cuban kid btw????

No, we definitely should not have drafted Mudiay. He is shooting 31% from the floor on 12 attempts a game and averaging 4 turnovers a game. He is actually going to get into the history books if he keeps it up as having one of the most inefficient seasons in the history of basketball.

Portis is not better than Porzingis. He's only managed to get on the court for 8 games this season and he had a monster game against us (surprise, surprise), but otherwise has done nothing to suggest he is anything special.

Porzingis is worn out already. He needs to sit some games. This was predicted by a lot of people before the season started. It is not ideal, but he is going to need to build stamina before he can do what he was doing earlier in the season on a regular basis again.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't see how with hindsight you draft Mudiay over Porzingis. He's proving why he fell in the first place, he can't shoot yet and he's turnover prone, he didn't even make this rookie power rankings list even being beaten out by TJ McConnell at 11. Porzingis on other hand was ranked 3 behind KAT and Okafor. At this point Mudiay has a lot more development ahead of him than Porzingis and KP is looking like the better pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...towns-still-historic-winslow-still-cant-shoot

I'm a fan of Bobby Portis, he had a great summer league and I was wondering why the Bulls are bringing him along so slowly, great pickup by the Bulls at 22. Similar to the Taj Gibson pick at 19 for them.

By the Cuban kid, do you mean Guillermo Hernangomez the Spanish kid we picked up in the 2nd round? He's playing for Real Madrid and not playing big minutes which is common for Euro teams and rookies. Hernamongez is averaging: 3.9ppg, 3.4rpg, .6bpg and shooting 67% in just 10mpg. I think with the front court depth the Knicks have he's not coming over for a couple of years.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
The only hope we have is (1) Melo keeps playing the way he has since POR; (2) we slide into the abyss right now so quickly that Melo is forced to do a soul-check come end of Jan.

If we can find a way to trade Melo, Lopez, Affalo, Calderon for a young building block, a few assets or draft picks... Then we can earnestly build for the future.

Melo for Kyrie baby! Make it happen Phil.

CLE would sport a James-Melo-love front court and that could battle SA or GSW...

Bottom line: if NYK cannot get a legit PG by Aug... The Melo-PORZ won't work... You just can't compete in the NBA without guards... And we've had a bunch of dudes for basically a decade now.

let me ask you this. You are saying adding melo to the cavs and taking out kyrie makes the cavs a team that can now battle the warriors and spurs.

So basically you are saying that carmelo is better than kyrie( which he is not) but I will go along with it for arguments sake. Well if that is the case why would you want to trade carmelo for Kyrie?

with that trade you basically turn kevin love into the Center... Not going to work, and cleveland is just not that stupid..

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I don't see how with hindsight you draft Mudiay over Porzingis. He's proving why he fell in the first place, he can't shoot yet and he's turnover prone, he didn't even make this rookie power rankings list even being beaten out by TJ McConnell at 11. Porzingis on other hand was ranked 3 behind KAT and Okafor. At this point Mudiay has a lot more development ahead of him than Porzingis and KP is looking like the better pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...towns-still-historic-winslow-still-cant-shoot

I'm a fan of Bobby Portis, he had a great summer league and I was wondering why the Bulls are bringing him along so slowly, great pickup by the Bulls at 22. Similar to the Taj Gibson pick at 19 for them.

By the Cuban kid, do you mean Guillermo Hernangomez the Spanish kid we picked up in the 2nd round? He's playing for Real Madrid and not playing big minutes which is common for Euro teams and rookies. Hernamongez is averaging: 3.9ppg, 3.4rpg, .6bpg and shooting 67% in just 10mpg. I think with the front court depth the Knicks have he's not coming over for a couple of years.

I have watched every game mudiay played in. And he is more dynamic than porzingis.. He can get into the lane and he is a very slick passer.. His turnovers are up and his shot is iffy, but how many times have we seen that with guards? and how many times have they improved.. even if he turns into an average shooter, he will have the chance at being a top PG in this league.. He gives the knicks something they haven't had in years. A guy who can break down defenses, and create for others... the knicks don't have one player on this team that can do that.. and the teams that do look vastly superior to the knicks.. Look at what a guy like Isiah thomas did for the celtics...

mafra

Legend
I have watched every game mudiay played in. And he is more dynamic than porzingis.. He can get into the lane and he is a very slick passer.. His turnovers are up and his shot is iffy, but how many times have we seen that with guards? and how many times have they improved.. even if he turns into an average shooter, he will have the chance at being a top PG in this league.. He gives the knicks something they haven't had in years. A guy who can break down defenses, and create for others... the knicks don't have one player on this team that can do that.. and the teams that do look vastly superior to the knicks.. Look at what a guy like Isiah thomas did for the celtics...

There's also folks who get paid to watch all these games and offer their opinion... and the majority (of those supposed experts in the NBA community) claim PORZ > Mudiay. At the very least, it's six in one hand and a half dozen in the other...

Still, Mudiay may be the next Jerry West... but if he is in street clothes... he's not helping his team much. IS he injury-prone? Well, it's too early to label him with that... BUT... it cannot be denied... his first 2 seasons of professional basketball... he's been injured (and early in the season). Muddily, more than PORZ, is reliant on his athleticism... take that away.... you have the reincarnation of Jayson Williams and Derek Rose.

All things equal... given our PG woes... I would've taken the perennial all-star PG over the first ballot HOF lanky PF if I was absolutely sold on EM, or had doubts about KP.

I'm happy and content with our pick....

Broadway

All Star
There's also folks who get paid to watch all these games and offer their opinion... and the majority (of those supposed experts in the NBA community) claim PORZ > Mudiay. At the very least, it's six in one hand and a half dozen in the other...

Still, Mudiay may be the next Jerry West... but if he is in street clothes... he's not helping his team much. IS he injury-prone? Well, it's too early to label him with that... BUT... it cannot be denied... his first 2 seasons of professional basketball... he's been injured (and early in the season). Muddily, more than PORZ, is reliant on his athleticism... take that away.... you have the reincarnation of Jayson Williams and Derek Rose.

All things equal... given our PG woes... I would've taken the perennial all-star PG over the first ballot HOF lanky PF if I was absolutely sold on EM, or had doubts about KP.

I'm happy and content with our pick....

Mudiay has much to show and improve but all the tools are there and he's clearly THE point guard of this draft. OTOH there are players picked after #kporzee who are showing their talents...

Turner(before hand injury), Portis(lowkey could be the best big right now sans Towns), Kaminsky(his +/- is off the charts), Jokic(as tkf pointed out real skill in the paint 2014 2nd rd pick), Larry Nance Jr.(very underrated). Then there's Towns and Okafor obviously. Not including any other players drafted who have really good talent.

Prozingis has to be clearly better than all these guys for starters and close the gap on the established players, if our fortunes are to change.

I don't understand people talking up Mudiay. I don't agree that all the tools are there. He can't shoot. He is a terrible shooter. He is one of the worst shooters ever so far given the volume with which he shoots the ball. He also turns the ball over a ton. I would argue his tools are lacking substantially. Take away the volume that he was getting with Denver lacking other options and his stats are crap. He is going to have a long career of coaches getting excited about him and then benching him.

Mudiay literally needs to fix a huge portion of his game to be an NBA player. He is the big project from this draft. Not a single winning team in this league would play him significant minutes right now.