I think today's the day teams can offical add 10-day contracts

finestrg

Rotation player
We've got the open spot. Immediate, cost-effective guard help is probably #1 on our list. Just curious who you guys like most. I think I like the following players in this order:

Elliot Williams
Erick Green
Sean Kilpatrick
Jimmer Fredette
Darington Hobson
Tony Wroten
Thanasis Antentokounmpo
Elijah Millsap (just cut by Utah)

Also, 6'11" 220 lb. F Christian Wood was just cut by the Sixers. Again, adding another guard is probably more important but man, there's an awful lot to like about this kid Wood: versatility to play 3, 4 & 5, terrific size/length, ability to shoot and put it on the floor, soft touch finishing around the rim, he rebounds and has good potential as a shot-blocker.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
We need a PG and not a big but Christian Wood is tempting. Sixers made a mistake to cut him to pick up Brand.

Unless they can get an uptempo PG that they think is better than Grant or an off the ball 2 that is better than Sasha, they may not sign anyone. I think the next 3 games will dictate what they do, a couple of wins will make it less urgent for them to get some help. A 3 game losing streak and Mills will be working the phones or he'll bring up Jimmer.

finestrg

Rotation player
Just read that the Suns waived Cory Jefferson and Bryce Cotton. Not sure how/if Jefferson fits here but I like Cotton A LOT. He'd give us a lightning quick PG (more of a scoring point but probably a better overall PG than Galloway--definitely more of an offensive weapon than Galloway), very good shooter/scorer, shifty/tight handle... Not sure if I like him better than Elliot Williams or Erick Green (or one of the pure 2Gs like a Kilpatrick) for us but he's intriguing.

tiger0330

Legend
The Suns waived Bryce Cotton? The guy can't stick anywhere, I liked him in summer league but the Jazz and now the Suns waived him, probably not ready for the NBA so I would pass on him. I dpn't think the Knicks are going to make any moves with the team playing well now, maybe sign a guy to a D-League contract but I don't see them doing anything except bringing up Jimmer.

mafra

Legend
The problem the Knicks face right now... They have taken off since Fisher has settled into a consistent 9-man rotation. Signing a guy to a ten-day contract right now may be bad timing... I think you can yank Grant for a few games... But won't that stunt his development? So... Where do minutes come from?

Now... After SA we hit a fairly easy stretch of games... So, we could sign a guy and hope for a blowout or two, where we can get a good look.

I think with Quiin and Seraphim we don't need a BiG. We could use 1 more guard...
A guy like Johnson for MIa would be perfect... Something to supplement AA and LG on nights both are cold.

An upgrade at PG will have to come via a trade and it will, most likely, cost us Grant.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Suns waived Bryce Cotton? The guy can't stick anywhere, I liked him in summer league but the Jazz and now the Suns waived him, probably not ready for the NBA so I would pass on him.
I dpn't think the Knicks are going to make any moves with the team playing well now, maybe sign a guy to a D-League contract but I don't see them doing anything except bringing up Jimmer.

Yeah, i also dont believe the Knicks are gonna add anyone else to the roster now .. Fisher has his hands full now keeping the bench-players confidence n mentally ready for when he do give them playing-time after decreasing the game rotation down to 9 players.
I'm still expecting Phil Jackson to trade Calderon for a starting PG before the trade-deadline!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah, i also dont believe the Knicks are gonna add anyone else to the roster now .. Fisher has his hands full now keeping the bench-players confidence n mentally ready for when he do give them playing-time after decreasing the game rotation down to 9 players.
I'm still expecting Phil Jackson to trade Calderon for a starting PG before the trade-deadline!!!
I wonder if the Sixers would be interested in him, they dealt for an over the hill Brand because they were looking for leadership in the locker room and JC can give them that.

They traded 2 second round picks to get Ish Smith so maybe PJ can get a low 1st or a couple of seconds for Calderon. I'd bring up Jimmer and see if he can run the point as well as Calderon and pull the trigger on a deal for draft picks if he can.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
Read we've been scouting Toure' Murry. Decent player, looks marginally improved from when we had him and I can see why they like him--6'5" can man the point, play the 2, handle the ball, play some defense--but is he honestly the right choice? The best choice available? In my eyes, Elliot Williams is a far better talent than Murry, a guy with similar combo skills--he's the guy I really wanted. I think Memphis called him up. Go back to the original list in the first post (+ Bryce Cotton). Is Murry really better than any of those guys?? Better than Erick Green?? I don't see it. Wouldn't be devastated, I think he could help, just not sure he was the best choice, that's all.

Saw on the SA game thread guys talking about Steve Mills supposedly eyeing Darren Collison. A good guy to target, def. in favor (I was thinking maybe Aaron Brooks in FA next summer possibly as a PG upgrade with some more speed and overall ability but Collison's younger and probably an even better choice), I just wonder what the cost would be for him. I think you're talking Jerian Grant and/or KOQ probably, maybe Seraphin too. Too bad Early's hurt--I can't see him having much trade value now..

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
Just thinking about Collison and what the cost would be -- what about Ty Lawson? I know, I know...but really think about it. Compare Lawson to Collison--I think they compare favorably and the cost should be much cheaper (as in no jerian Grant maybe, a guy I'd like to keep and develop), with Lawson having a terrible yr and with all his off-the-court troubles (which aren't good but could be far worse--the few DWIs were while he was still in Denver. Hasn't done anything recently, has he?). Same age, similar size and ability and they both would add that speed/uptempo/breakdown ability that I feel we desperately need out of our next PG. The last thing I wanna see is another over-the-hill PG like Calderon or another limited "triangle" PG like Galloway. We need more, man. A real quick, modern age PG if you will. Seems like so many teams have this type of guard already.

I like Collison a lot but if the cost proves to be too much I might call up Morey and ask about Lawson. Couldn't hurt. What if we could get a very similar player for a fraction of the cost? You can't tell me Lawson's done as a player--he's still pretty young and very talented. A history of being quite productive up until just recently.. What about when we got Sprewell? How'd that work out? Ray Felton landed on his feet, no? Dark time for Lawson but I think he'll rebound. I like that he has experience playing with Melo and Afflalo too--that's an added plus. That he should come far cheaper than Collison is what makes this idea attractive imo.

EDIT: I see Lawson's making a lot of money -- about $12.4mm this year, over $13mm next year. Any deal would have to start with Calderon's contract, then maybe KOQ + cash (we keep Grant + no picks involved, best case)? If we could pull something like that off, Lawson slides in and man's the point full-time (huge upgrade provided his mind's right and he's ready to turn things around and resume being an efficient threat at PG. I think he could do that here--NY loves a reclamation project and this dude's not even that broken. NYC plus being reunited with Melo and Afflalo should be enough to get the old competitive juices flowing again, I bet right away) and we either dust off Seraphin who had some good mins. not too long ago when Fish went to him and/or promote a DL big to take KOQ's place on the roster (Jordan Bachynski, Darion Atkins, Gani Lawal, Jeff Ayres (Pendergraph), Earl Clark), then with the open 15th spot we've had all along, we go get yet another guard (Green, Kilpatrick, Murry) or take a low risk look at Darington Hobson and see if he could be something close to Nick Batum).

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
-The Knicks has two potential FUTURE combo-guards in Galloway n Grant ...
Its our two veteran guards Calderon n Afflalo ($8M contracts) that are up for grabs in a trade for a veteran Guard

mafra

Legend
(NY Post - Marc Berman)

It has been two weeks since teams were able to offer 10-day contracts, and the Knicks have yet to act despite having an open roster spot and small forward Cleanthony Early being out until March with a gunshot wound to his right knee.

According to a person familiar with the club?s thought process, the available players, including point guard Tony Wroten, wouldn?t crack the rotation, so a 10-day contract would be wasteful. If a rotation player sustained a serious injury, then the club would act ? possibly on Wroten or Jimmer Fredette ? pending the position of need.

If Lance Thomas? left-knee injury were deemed more serious, the Knicks probably would have signed somebody.

Thomas missed the Knicks? 118-111 overtime victory over the Jazz on Wednesday, the first time he has missed a game this season. But doctors have determined he has a mild knee sprain. Thomas said he believes he could be back as soon as Friday versus the Clippers.

?It?s a sore knee, mild little sprain,?? Thomas said. ?I?m just going to rest it. It?s nothing that will keep me out. An MRI [exam] wasn?t necessary.??

Thomas injured the knee when he got kicked Monday in the fourth quarter by Sixers center Nerlens Noel.

The Knicks also are contemplating using a 10-day contract on a young free agent, but that player would then play some games in the D-League with their Westchester affiliate on an experimental basis to learn the triangle while also practicing with the Knicks.

Wroten, cut by the Sixers last month, tweeted the other day a picture of himself in a Knicks uniform, then deleted it. The Knicks have some interest because they consider him a good penetrator, an active defender, strong in the passing lanes, but also are concerned about his tendency to gamble on defense.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Thanks, mafra. I'm glad the Knicks aren't signing somebody just because they can. Yeah, it'd be something for me to look forward to, but it's something that might not be necessary.