arron_afflalo.png
jeremy_lin.png

jose_calderon.png
kemba_walker.png
]

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Charlotte Hornets
Lance Thomas - Sore Left Knee (QUEST)Michael Kidd-Gilchrist ? Right shoulder surgery (OUT)
Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)Al Jefferson ?Right knee surgery (OUT)
-Nicolas Batum ? Right second toe sprain (OUT)
-Cody Zeller ? Right shoulder strain (OUT)
-Jeremy Lamb ? Right great toe sprain (QUEST)

Game Preview

The New York Knicks just got picked apart by a top point guard and now they have to face one who has been very explosive.

Kemba Walker has scored at least 40 points twice in his last three games and the New York native will try to lead the short-handed Charlotte Hornets to a fifth straight home win over the Knicks on Saturday night.

New York (22-23) allowed the Los Angeles Clippers to shoot 56.6 percent - a season-high for an opponent - in Friday's 116-88 home loss. Chris Paul had 13 of his club's 23 assists, as New York had no answer for his repeated pick-and-rolls with teammates.

"The game got away from the start. We weren't ready to play against this team tonight," coach Derek Fisher said. "They were physically, faster, better tonight. We've had very few of these so far this year."

New York will now try to slow down Walker, who scored a franchise-record 52 points in Monday's 124-119 victory over Utah in double overtime. After he scored 21 two nights later in a loss at Oklahoma City, Walker came through with 40 in Friday's 120-116 overtime win at Orlando.

"Great week," Walker said. "I would never have thought this would happen but I'm playing pretty well, and I'm just playing off my teammates, playing the game, letting the game come to me."

The Hornets (20-23) ended a 10-game road losing streak Friday despite trailing by 15 points in the third quarter behind Walker, who added nine assists and seven rebounds as he played the entire final period and overtime.

"He'll do anything to win so if he feels he has to keep scoring the ball, he's going to do it," forward Marvin Williams said. "But he's making the right plays, though, he's getting assists as well, he's rebounding as well so he's going to give you his all each and every night and I think that's why he's playing so well."

Charlotte's win came without two starters. Second-leading scorer Nicolas Batum was out with a sprained right toe while center Cody Zeller was out with a strained right shoulder. It's unlikely either will play Saturday.

Former Knicks guard Jeremy Lin replaced Batum in the starting lineup and had seven points. Spencer Hawes took Zeller's spot and finished with a season-high 16 points and 10 boards for his first double-double since April 4, 2014.

Knicks center Robin Lopez was ejected with two technical fouls Friday. He got involved in an altercation with DeAndre Jordan and finished with six points and seven boards after totaling 38 and 22 in his previous two games.

"Things were getting really chippy out there, it happened so fast it's kinda hard to recall," Lopez said. "Maybe I overreacted a little bit but what happened, happened. I'm OK with it."

New York's Lance Thomas has missed two straight game with a sore left knee. Fisher said the reserve forward was getting better, but wasn't sure if he could play Saturday.

The Knicks are 3-6 in the second half of back-to-back games while the Hornets are 3-4.

(nba.com)

Thanks for another great game thread, Rady.

We're a solid 13 - 9 at home, but only 9 - 14 on the road. That kind of split is pretty much the norm among mediocre teams, but regardless we need to start playing better away from MSG unless we want to spend the rest of the season with small winning streaks to get back to 0.500 followed by losing streaks to fall back under 0.500.

Team performance was dismal last night. Charlotte is a surprisingly tough team at home (15 - 8), but we need to step up tonight and save this weekend from being a complete disaster.

knicksin60

Starter
I just hope they find a way to pull this one out. Aside from the games they had against Atlanta, Miami and San Antonio the Knicks have been terrible on the road as of late.

tiger0330

Legend
They're undermanned with Hawes as their starting C. Keep Walker semi-contained and the Knicks should win this going away. Lets get to .500 and stay there.

finestrg

Rotation player
Any word on Lopez? I hope he's available for tonight. Any further discipline would be overkill. He paid the price last night getting tossed. It's over now.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
He's reported to be in the starting lineup so i guess he's available!
On the other hand, Lance Thomas is still out

Kiyaman

Legend
Rady .. nice info on the Hornets for the Game-Thread .. The Hornets are short of two of their starters, and their replacements Lin n Hawes are playing well with the extra playing-time. Calderon & Afflalo have to forget last night game to get a jump start this game at holding Walker n Lin from controlling the tempo of the game.
I havnt heard anything about the weather cancelling the game, or Lopez being charged again for the little push on DeAndre.
Lebron .. I mean the Cavs organization fired their coach Blatt !!

Wasn't a fan of not signing Cole to sign Quinn. I think he's more value at 2yrs/4M than Quinn at 4/16M.

I also would have liked to keep Cole as a backup center however, PJ selected a 7.3 foot backup center name Porzingis with the 4th pick of the draft, then PJ signed FA center Lopez to be our starting center.
All this small-ball got us twisted ..
6.10 Kyle O'Quinn is a natural big-body Power-Forward (just like our Charles Oakley). O'Quinn has showed us repeatedly at the start of the season that he was our best Strong-Forward on the roster.
Our 6.10 Kevin Seraphin is also a natural power-forward in the NBA.
Some how the powers that BE .. has our rookie Porzingis, Melo, and D.Will taking up all the 48 minutes of the PF rotation each game. A winning triangle-offense system always has TWO big-men playing the paint area on offense and defense!
from Bynum n Gasol, Shaq n Horry, to Grant n Cartwright! Those big-men would dunk over Melo n D.Will all game just like DeAndre Jordan 7-7 shooting last night.

Hint .. Half of Carmelo Anthony playing time per game has always been at the power-forward position since playing on the Denver Nuggets alongside Camby, the result always ended in a first-round playoff exit for the Denver Nuggets.
What we need is a player like "Last-Shot"Chauncey Billups or superstar PG CP3 to lead our coach Fisher and Melo on several ways to win using the triangle offense.

Both Grant and Galloway have easy, give me, simple opportunity to loft DWILL an alley oop and both turn ball over on terrible passes... Grant tries a 25 foot bounce pass that gets intercepted and LG flings a fastball at DW's face. If you can't make these passes... You should be sent to the D League.

Fisher Fisher .. has no design plays for the guards in the triangle .. Galloway n Grant are two young ferocious combo-guards that started the season tandem in the back-court together making huge strive of excellence by putting strong effort on both sides of the court, their creativeness to compliment each other growth as a tandem this season were toyed with by coach Fisher. We are talking about two healthy complimentary guards in Gallo/Grant that should have receive 14 minutes together on the court in each of the 45 games to expand their young growth in the league.
What coach Fisher did to rookie PG-Grant (confidence) in the 45 game rotation, Fisher would have been FIRED on the spot if he did the same to rookie Porzingis.

tiger0330

Legend
Ass backwards play. They posted AA and he kicked it out to KP for a 3. Should have been kp in the post, kicking it out to AA.

Kiyaman

Legend
We hitting our shots early in first quarter cant say the same for Hornets we challenging their shots .. good Knicks defense

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we could have picked up Lin this of season we wouldn't be talking about finding someone to replace Calderon.
I hope we get a free agent this season or our younger guards play a lot better because Calderon is a good player, and I don't want chemistry to be messed with, and I certainly don't want any of our impact players (Derrick Williams for example) traded just to get rid of a contract.

mafra

Legend
Lin got the better of AA that quarter... Man, Grant makes Charlie Ward look like Isiaih Thomas offensively-speaking...

CHA is without 5 key players... We should be arrested if we lose this game... No Batum, Jefferson, MKG, Lamb, Zeller...

mafra

Legend
CHA began game shooting 2-18... At 26% now... Yet we barely have a lead. Not a great sign.

11-18 from FT line not great for NYK. CHA has only 6 attempts.

Kiyaman

Legend
I hope we get a free agent this season or our younger guards play a lot better because Calderon is a good player, and I don't want chemistry to be messed with, and I certainly don't want any of our impact players (Derrick Williams for example) traded just to get rid of a contract.

The thought of us making the playoffs this season having Calderon as our starter PG messed-up the chemistry when u think of our opponents PG Lowry, Rose, Kyrie, Teague

mafra

Legend
CHA is 11-38 from the field... We are 11-19 from the FT line.

We have almost twenty attempts at a free point and they've missed 27 shots already...

cHA is winning... 33-32 midway thru 2nd Q.

Melo has 3 turnovers and just missed a violation FT attempt...

Affalo has 2 points and 0 assists...

tiger0330

Legend
Can't believe they're losing holding them to 32% shooting. Like Mafra said they need to be roasted if they don't win this one.