Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Memphis Grizzlies 7:30pm 2/5/2016

tiger0330

Legend
On the replay, that was a good move by Afflalo. He got himself open against Green. The shot just rimmed out. Only problem if he had made it would have been that Memphis would have had too much time left to get the lead back. Tough loss.
Thanks htr10 to you and Mafra for the game comments. So AA took a good shot for the tying bucket, they made it a fight w/o Melo and LT. Still its a loss and the playoffs look like a remote possibility w/o a mid season makeover. I agree its going to be tough making significant deals with what we have.

tiger0330

Legend
Affalo had another horrible game... He's 4-15... I don't need him shooting a shot with the game on the line. How are we building for the future when we basically played AA and Calderon the entire game?

Even a coach on life support would call a timeout when NYm got ball with 17 seconds and down 2 points. Building for the future is a decent HC actually drawing up a play to et the future of your franchise experience in these late-game, clutch situations.

Taking the worst shot in BBall (a long 2 point shot) that would only tie the game... Just shows you where ISO-Affalo's head is at.

I'm sorry... Our guards are worst in Western Hemisphere, so watching a game where we go with a 3-guard lineup for basically 38 of 48 minutes... Watching Calderon just hand the ball to MEM 5 times... Enduring long stretches of ugly BBall as AA, JC, LG dance around the perimeter... Ugh.

Not only was this another loss... But this does nothing for our future. It's getting to be just like the Walsh-D'antoni days where vets come here and selfishly look to post numbers to get another contract someplace else...

Grant and Williams and KP should be getting big minutes and be in the game down the stretch. We're losing anyway... Must we watch AA miss 11 shots?

There was a stretch in the third quarter... For about 5-6 minutes... We had 3 guards... Nobody would pass the ball to KP. Just a waste.

And Grant doesn't bong in the NBA right now... But I still would prefer playing him over AA and JC. Still, this looks like this bust will burn NYK for years to come... Lots of quality players went after we took JG, and with no draft pick this year... It's evident we are well on our way to ensure we never surround KP with another star.
I thought you would have been more positive after nearly pulling this one out without Melo and LT. Have to go with your unvarnished analysis about the game since you know your stuff. I have to catch this on replay.

mafra

Legend
I thought you would have been more positive after nearly pulling this one out without Melo and LT. Have to go with your unvarnished analysis about the game since you know your stuff. I have to catch this on replay.

KP was OK... But he was rarely involved in the offense. He didn't force much but rarely touched the ball (first 3 quarters)... I think he took 2 shots in the first half...

JG didn't play much, and when he did he looked lost...

Wiiams hardly played... And since he hasn't played much lately (like JG) it's almost impossible to expect much in the limited role they're currently serving.

So, the bulk of the minutes went to AA, JC, LG, Sasha, KP, and ROLO... Who is part of our future with this bunch? You might say AA and Lopez will be here in 2-3 years? Affalo as a bench player and ROLO as the starting center... But since Lopez is the most likely candidate to be dealt, for 7" footers seem to fetch something at trade deadline... I think he could be dealt...

Langston and Affalo are redundant. They are both really backup SG... Not sure if LG will be here either...

So, watching vets like Calderon and Affalo doesn't do much for our future... I'm also beyond the point getting excited bc we compete... We should expect professionals... Millionaires... To care and compete on a nightly basis.

Also, it's somewhat of an illusion anyway... MEM hardly tried, or cared, and, from what I saw, they toyed with us... They exerted min effort... they did just enough to win the game... But they have to catch a flight and fly south and get ready to play DAL Sat night... So, we basically trailed wire-to-wire against a team that gave us their "C" game...

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
Sellers. We clearly have 0 assets to bring in anything even remotely Inpactful. We have to dump Calderon's 2017 contract. I would trade Grant or Galloway just to dump that contract... Hope Affalo, Williams, Lioez can fetch you something... Pray Melo asks out and we can trade him too... Porzingis and Thomas are my only untouchable (but I would deal LT too if it mean a young asset or potential lottery pick).

I doubt Me-Lo will ask for a trade.. afterall he re-up'd here to bring home a championship..