Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards 8:00pm 2/9/2016

tiger0330

Legend
Gallo misses a wide open 3 nobody within 30 FT of him for the tying bucket. Knicks lose 111-108. Unbelievable how consistent this script is for them, start slow, furious comeback to take a 1 point lead but come up short. They should try like hell to make some kind of change in the roster I don't think they are that far away from winning some games.

mafra

Legend
KP with a big block on wall after a bogus reach in foul. AA gets a blocking call on his drive but the refs review it and reverse it to a charge and take away the bucket. 106-101 Wiz with 44 secs left.

Bill Callahan should never work an NBA again. You cannot do that... First of all... They call 3 total fouls for most of third quarter... Letting them play... Then start blowing whistle the final minute of 4th?

I have never seen this tho... Affalo drives, is fouled and makes layup... They call a blocking foul.... But go review the play? Then, even tho it isn't a charge... Take away hoop and rule it a charge? Are we reviewing fouls now? What! Lol.

Rambis shaking why he is 100 games under .500 as a HC. Porzingis has 14 in third quarter... Did he sit him until 6 minute mark of 4th?

Calderon and Sasha combine for 0 points and getting abused by Wall... Yet Grant doesn't play? Great job coach...

54 & 19 for WAS starting guards... Our starting guards have 11 (and neither score in the second half)...

And, of course, Calderon misses a wide open 3 as time expires (to tie game).... So, we lose, Calderon has 0 and gets abused....how does it help our future playing him over Grant?

Was was 10-12 from 3 in first half. NYK 2-12 from 3 in first half.

We finish 8-26 and they finish 16-26 from downtown. That's the game...

Also, with about 2 minutes to go in the game... We trailed by 10 and had about 13 points in the 4th... Melo missed 3 shots and had 2 turnovers... Another pathetic performance from our closer...

Galloway had a good game but a killer... Foolish turnover at the end that pretty much sealed our fate...

why Williams and Thomas play 9 minutes but Calderon and Affalo okay 28 and 38 minutes? Wall had 27 and 17... Forget about the triangle Rambis... Try something to stop their guards... Again... Affalo and Calderon didn't score in second half yet play the entire time? Where was KP for the first half of the 4th? LT? Grant?

mafra

Legend
Lost 7/8 at home... Totally free fall now. TOR (or DEN) pumped... Looks like a good lottery pick heading their way... 31 wins seems like a long shot now.

tiger0330

Legend
They were talking about fatigue with Porzingis so I think you're not going to see him play the entire 4th qtr until he builds up his endurance.

mafra

Legend
Yeah... Turnovers in the 4th and WAS setting season record for 3s (they average 9 a game) were the story...

KP was red hot... You have to get him in early to start the 4th and then sit him if he's not scoring... We had 13 points the first 10 minutes...

Why Rambis played Affalo the entire game and why he didn't play Grant and went with Calderon is a head scratcher? Then, after game, he says our defense needs to get better! Classic.

This is the same coach who played Ryan Gomes over Love in MINNY.

Still... Even tho they both had good games... We win if not for terrible turnover and missed shot by LG at end... And how Melo was hurting NYK from the 6 minute mark to the 2 minute mark in the 4th.

tiger0330

Legend
9-10 man rotation is going to mean some guys are DNP, I'd say Quinn and Grant are going to be DNP for most of the games.

mafra

Legend
At 22-22, I was positive we would be chilling during the ASB a few games over .500

Lol

As a NYK fan, why do I ever doubt that they'll always find a way to humiliate themselves... A 1-10 finish has them tucking their tail between their legs and limp into ASB at 23-32!

27 games left... I'm guessing 11-16 in those 27... Finish season at 34-48.

mafra

Legend
9-10 man rotation is going to mean some guys are DNP, I'd say Quinn and Grant are going to be DNP for most of the games.

Calderon and Sasha aren't part of our future. Affalo is a backup. Not a 38 minute starter... I want LT, Williams, Grant playing at least 18-24 minutes a game. Enough of these 3 guard lineups. Our guards are atrocious. I barely can stomach 2 of them on the floor at once... Let one 3.

LT,
Grant or Affalo or DWIll,
KP or ROLO,
Galloway
Melo...

This is who should be on the floor at the end. There should never be 3 guards and Calderon should not be there...

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
Jose Calderon tonight...

MinFG3ptFT+/-OffDefRebAstTOStlBlkBAPFPts

28:200-40-30-0-70336110110

How the hell could Grant be any worse than Calderon???????????

tiger0330

Legend
Those 4 games when JC was out didn't convince you guys he was the best PG on the roster. Rambis saying he still wants to make the playoffs means he's not going to be developing Grant in real games.

I know Phil said trades are probably not going to happen, I'd like to see them bring up Jimmer on a 10 day and see if he can help.

mafra

Legend
It's obvious that you base rotations in the second half on feel for game that given night... A combination of JC not doing anything on offense, one with him not being able to even slow down WAS guards... You have to pull him in the 4th...

We are winless since he's returned too. At this point, playoffs aren't realistic. Knicks have as much chance winning Stanley cup or World Series than we do making the playoffs.

We've now had a 2-8 stretch and an 1-10 stretch... We can go 3-18 with Grant, Williams, Thomas playing starter minutes. We don't need Sasha and Calderon anymore, aside from being a vet in locker room and grooming Grant.

For the life of me... Why do we need 2 old, slow, PGs who don't score or play defense? Cut Sasha and get a guard who plays defense. I don't care if he never scores a point. We need some bench guard that can at least stay in front of a quick guard.

This is the problem now... Rambis is now coaching for the hope of 1 more HC gig. He could care less about NYK in 2017. So, there will be no development of Grant, Williams, KP.

JAX won't be here in 2 years anyway... So we have to waste this season and next sticking with the triangle, only to start over again in 2018 when Phil
Bolts for LA.

Good times.

mafra

Legend
Again, Beal & Wall combined for 54 points and 19 assists... Some of those assists led to 3s... Pretty much accounting for at least 95 of their 111 points.

Our starting dynamic G duo of Calderon (0 points & 6 assists) and Affalo (11 points & 0 assists) accounted for 25 points of NYk's 108 points... Oh, Neither scored in the second half.

It doesn't get much worse than that for an NBA starting backcourt.

mafra

Legend
Melo was 7-12 in the second half... Unfortunately, when game was 93-92... Melo went 1-4 with 2 turnovers and NYK found themselves in a 10 point hole with under 2 to play... Melo then scored 10 to give us a chance tho...

KP scores 4 in first half... 14 in third... 2 in 4th (only played final 5 minutes b/c Rambis was irate KP lit up bucket in 3rd and wanted to preserve him for the end of the game... Still, he was 8-14 (2 misses down stretch)...

We just didn't feed KP enough.

Gallo had solid game but had costly turnover and missed final shot...

Lopez battled.

How good would we be if we had Wall!

mafra

Legend
(Theknicksblog)

And after Tuesday's loss, Rambis openly talked about the defensive deficiencies of point guard Jose Calderon and forward Derrick Williams.

"We know that real quick, explosive point guards are going to cause Jose some problems," he said of Wall, who at times was defended by the 7-foot-3 Kristaps Porzingis. "We have to continue to find ways to support him and help him defend pick-and-rolls and quick guards. No team is perfect at all your defensive positions. You have to figure out where the weakness and matchup problems are and then you have to support your teammates."

Calderon went scoreless and managed just 6 assists and 3 rebounds.

"I've got to continue to urge Jose to be aggressive offensively because I want him to be not only a faciltator and an organizer, but he's gotta be a scorer for us, too," Rambis said.

The truth is, no matter who the Knicks coach is, if their guards are outplayed by opposing backcourts more often than not, they are not going to be a very good team.

Calderon, Galloway and Sasha Vujacic are just not as athletic and explosive as most teams' guards. And Rambis may have given an early indication about his rotation preferences by giving rookie Jerian Grant a DNP-Coach's Decision.

Rambis made similarly frank comments about Williams' defensive liabilities -- something Fisher would never have done.

"He's does have to do more things and be better connected to his teammates," Rambis said. "There's time defensively where he misses his assignments."

Asked what it felt like to be back on the sidelines as the head man, Rambis said, "It is a lot of fun, it really is."

But the fun won't last if the Knicks continue to fall from the playoff race. And Rambis said he cautioned his guys about sitting around and not staying in shape over the break.

With 10 days off before their next game in Brooklyn, Rambis had a strong message for his guys.

"My message to them was to make sure that they just don't lay around over the break," he said. "They've gotta continue to keep up their cardiovascular conditioning and they've gotta be able to get into a gym. I don't expect them to pound themselves and go through two-a-days, but they can't just lay around for 10 days and then come back and expect to get off to a great start."

pat

Starter
Same ol' story. Falling behind, early, fighting themselves back into the game only to not close out the game.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
That's part of the problem with "veteran" coaches. They only trust "veteran" players and won't play rookies. Sasha doesn't belong in the league(he'd been out of the league for years) and JC is about 1/2 a step ahead of him. And you match those two up against Wall/Beal???? And leave a young at least more athletic guard on the bench?