ian_mahinmi.png

arron_afflalo.png
monta_ellis.png

jose_calderon.png
george_hill.png
]

Injury Report

New York KnicksIndiana Pacers
Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)CJ Miles - Strained left calf (QUEST)
-Rodney Stuckey - Right foot sprain/bone bruise (OUT)

Game Preview

The Indiana Pacers were left lamenting a costly defeat in their quest for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs their last time out.

That advantage has been evident when they have faced the New York Knicks.

The Pacers have beaten the Knicks nine straight times at home including the postseason heading into Wednesday night's first 2015-16 matchup between these clubs.

Indiana (30-26) fell short in its bid for a perfect three-game trip with Monday's 101-93 overtime loss to Miami. The Pacers blew an early 14-point lead and fell two games behind the Heat and Boston - teams they are chasing for a top-four Eastern Conference finish.

"We control the game for so long and then it's always late in the game where it gets away from us," star forward Paul George said. "It's always been the story and really our history here."

The Pacers' recent history against New York (24-34) has been kinder with a four-game sweep last season that included two more wins in Indianapolis. Indiana's nine-game run at home in this series includes three victories in the 2013 conference semifinals.

Indiana only faced Carmelo Anthony once a season ago and is getting its first look at Kristaps Porzingis, who is third among rookies with 13.9 points per game.

Porzingis has been a bright spot during a stretch in which New York has dropped eight of nine and 12 of 14. The Knicks were blown out at home Monday by Toronto 122-95.

"We just weren't connected defensively all night," interim coach Kurt Rambis said.

The Knicks allowed the Raptors to shoot 52.9 percent and spent a good portion of Tuesday's practice working on defense, with team president Phil Jackson observing. They have struggled to defend the 3-point arc in the last four games, allowing foes to make 40 of 80 attempts.

Prior to this dismal stretch, New York was in contention for a playoff spot and now seems likely to miss out for the third straight season. This is its fifth game since Rambis replaced Derek Fisher as coach.

"Regardless of the record, just losing, accepting that, it is hard to accept that," Anthony said. "You can't be satisfied with losing basketball games."

Porzingis is averaging 16.5 points on 46.4 percent shooting in his last six games. His worst effort in that span was a six-point performance in Saturday's 103-95 win over Minnesota that ended New York's seven-game road slide.

It won't be easy for New York to prevail in Wednesday's return to Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Its last win there was a 102-88 victory March 17, 2012, that came when Jeremy Lin was enjoying his flash-in-the-pan success for the Knicks.

George is averaging 25.3 points in his last seven after scoring 31 with 11 rebounds against the Heat. The Pacers were hurt by Monta Ellis going 2 of 17 for seven points after he totaled 48 in the first two games of the trip as Indiana dropped to 0-6 in road games on the second of back-to-back days.

"I thought late in the game we were a little fatigued," George said. "Guys were banged up. We tried, this is a game that we felt we should've won."

(nba.com)

Thanks for another great game thread, Rady.

Even if there has been no news regarding our starting lineup, I've hit the point where I am now hoping that each game will be the game where our starting backcourt changes come tipoff. It may not improve things, but there is no more harm that can come from it.

Based on recent internet rumors, Melo seems pissed off, PJ seems pissed off, and most importantly, Dolan seems pissed off. Our chances at a difference making free agent signing this offseason were poor from the start and now dwindle even further with each loss. We have no 1st round pick in the upcoming draft.

Very few major changes this team can make between now and the start of next season other than new head coach, new front office, and/or trading Melo to a destination of his choosing.

Tonight we get Indiana, who can just pile things on us at this point. Still, let's hope for a win.

Pacers wearing the Hickory uniforms in honor of the 30 year anniversary of the movie Hoosiers. It actually looks kind of cool.

Beautiful pass by Melo to the driving Porzingis who without breaking stride runs full court in transition and hits the layup.

Porzingis draws the foul from Myles Turner. I think this is what some fans want to see. A more active Porzingis.

Rambis said before the game that we had a 'rough' and 'aggressive' practice since the last game. He also said the practice was kind of 'sexy' or maybe I made that last part up.

tiger0330

Legend
No changes to the starting backcourt tonight. It remains Calderon and Afflalo.
What did I say, the next game the PG will be JC. Rambis is doing the same crap Fish was doing so how is anything going to change? Probably good reason to not dump Calderon, he maybe the best PG the Knicks have.

We continue to pass well and attack the paint. This time Afflalo draws the foul after a nice entry pass from Porzingis. We now lead 12 - 8.

Here's the problem though. Our defense still looks bad.

Afflalo penetrates and then kicks out to Calderon who drains the corner 3. Starting lineup playing near flawless offense. Now, if only we were playing better defense.

tiger0330

Legend
Holy crap, wasn't Hill JC's man? Why wasn't he guarding him, I didn't see a screen, guy is useless when he doesn't score and not much better when he does.

Holy crap, wasn't Hill JC's man? Why wasn't he guarding him, I didn't see a screen, guy is useless when he doesn't score and not much better when he does.

I want to be very clear. I like Calderon. He seems like a really good person and extremely high character guy who has had a nice career. But that said, watching him play defense night after night has been one of the hardest things I have had to do in recent memory as a Knicks fan.

tiger0330

Legend
Big turn around in Rolo's stats doubling his scoring from his first months with the team. No reason he can't maintain his recent performance, looking like PJ actually got a bargain with Rolo.

Okay, maybe this is something. Galloway is first guy off the bench to replace Calderon 7 minutes into the game.

Big turn around in Rolo's stats doubling his scoring from his first months with the team. No reason he can't maintain his recent performance, looking like PJ actually got a bargain with Rolo.

I know some fans will argue with me, but I honestly believe a starting frontcourt of Melo, Lopez, and Porzingis could have been the starting frontcourt of a 0.500 team right now if paired with an average starting backcourt.

Well, let's call a spade a spade. Since checking into the game, Galloway has done no better a job defensively on Hill and just made a terrible turnover. Time for Grant?

O'Quinn and Vujacic continue to be regular parts of Rambis' rotations, both seeing 1st quarter minutes.

Galloway with another bad turnover and for the first time we trail 28 - 26 as the 1st quarter ends.

Last game it was reported that Grant is getting one on one coaching on the bench throughout the game. Is this a good enough reason to keep limiting his minutes this late in the season? Should we be applauding this move instead of criticizing his lack of playing time? Hard to say unless we see some results.

2nd unit of Vujacic, Galloway, Lance Thomas, and O'Quinn paired with starter Porzingis to start the 2nd quarter. This is Porzingis' chance to be a focal point of the offense, if appropriate to game flow.