Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Going over this thread it’s insane how much a fiasco the wolves were that Thibs went from being considered a top 5 coach to everyone saying he is done. He really screwed up over there because they didn’t have the players he needed for his system, and as a GM he traded the a lot of talent to get it. He’s actually a pretty decent coach and like someone else said the kids are all legit gym rats, Randle is too. I don’t think the knicks having a winning season, but I am ok with Thibs. We actually got a few players who can run his system and play defense.

Blame KAT and Wiggins. They don’t want to work....

12th man

Thibs got fired because he was a bad president and personnel guy not because he was a bad coach. If JB stayed instead of asking out and they traded Wiggins instead of Zack he might still have his job in MN. These guys are making more money than ever, none of these guys should be complaining about putting in the work. KAT never missed a game his first 2 years, not sure what his issue with Thibs was.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Thibs got fired because he was a bad president and personnel guy not because he was a bad coach. If JB stayed instead of asking out and they traded Wiggins instead of Zack he might still have his job in MN. These guys are making more money than ever, none of these guys should be complaining about putting in the work. KAT never missed a game his first 2 years, not sure what his issue with Thibs was.
    The issue with KAT is he is soft.....Also yeah keeping Wiggins instead of Lavine and JB leaving was a fiasco. Thibs deserved to be fired from the wolves. In NY he would just be the coach. I think he might thrive again in that role.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Wargames View Post
    The issue with KAT is he is soft.....Also yeah keeping Wiggins instead of Lavine and JB leaving was a fiasco. Thibs deserved to be fired from the wolves. In NY he would just be the coach. I think he might thrive again in that role.
    BTW, nice seeing old posters back esp. guys that know what they’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    BTW, nice seeing old posters back esp. guys that know what they’re talking about.
    Hey Thanks

I remember being in here are writing way to long posts about trying to trade Amare to Philly for Iggy and Vucevic, and how the Melo deal was bad because we gave up to many assets, and how stupid amnestying Billups was......

It sucks being right lol

Now that front office is in place, Rose will turn attention to HC.

Short list...

Thibs
    Atkinson
    Miller

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Now that front office is in place, Rose will turn attention to HC.

Short list...

Thibs
    Atkinson
    Miller
    Thought Thibs had the inside track for the job because he was a Rose client but Kenny might get the job because I have to agree he might be the better coach for a young team like the Knicks then Thibs might be.

Miller is a long shot because you don't want to miss a shot at established coaches like Thibs and Kenny before another team snatches them up. He deserves a shot to stay on but new coaches usually bring in their own guys so he might not even stay as an asst with the new HC.

Read they want to make a decision in the next few weeks, which may mean the HC will be in here for the draft if not on the bench coaching when the NBA reopens,
    Last edited by tiger0330; May 28, 2020 at 15:23.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I changed my mind. They shouldn’t hire Thibs. On top of all the legit concerns we don’t need a coach to challenge players.... last time that happened KP got so pissed we had to ship him out.

Hire Atkinson, it’s the smart choice. Yeah he has his own flaws but he develops players and we have a team full of underdeveloped player. It’s literally a 1+1=2 situation.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

I'm sure there's an old thread back before we hired D'Antoni that I posted hire Tibs. That was long before anyone really knew who Tibs was, but I saw he was a big part of the defensive strength for the championship Boston Celtics so it seemed like a no brainer to bring him on. Instead, he went to Chicago and coached well while we got stuck with D'Antoni and a Melo who rarely passed the ball and was a blackhole on the offense.

So the game has changed but in the end the objective is to put the ball in the hoop and any team that plays solid defense can do fairly well in this new league. Knicks are so young there really aren't any egos to manage at this point. Tibs can handle it and thrive. We just need to stay the course and build through the draft for the next few years. Really not interested in trading every asset for a big name star just to stink it up again like we did with Melo. Bring back Galinari. I want a bench that's good enough to be a starting line up.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wargames View Post
    I’ve been doing a lot of research and I changed my mind. They shouldn’t hire Thibs. On top of all the legit concerns we don’t need a coach to challenge players.... last time that happened KP got so pissed we had to ship him out.

Hire Atkinson, it’s the smart choice. Yeah he has his own flaws but he develops players and we have a team full of underdeveloped player. It’s literally a 1+1=2 situation.
    My dream hire is Atkinson as head coach and Miller as his assistant. Give me two player development guys over a coach like Thibs anyday

Veteran

I lived here and Chicago during Thibbs entire run here. Here are some Thibbs pros/cons Chicago media was all over. Pros: Great defensive coach. I just remember Thibbs screaming “ball pressure.” A guy like Frank would thrive under Thibbs because Thibbs would get the most out of Frank on the defensive side of the ball. Pro: Thibbs demands effort or you don’t play. We won’t see those lazy first quarters with Thibbs at the helm. Pro: Thibbs will bring D-Rose along. We still need a PG and Thibbs still trusts Derrick and Derrick still has some tread left. Cons: Thibbs is suspect on the offensive side of the ball. We will need an “offensive coordinator” because Thibbs coaches defense to a fault and this is an offensive league now. Con: Thibbs will fall out with management. Right or wrong Thibbs tells it like it is and at some point he will run afoul of Ownership/Management. That leopard ain’t changing his spots. Con: Thibbs overworks/overplays his players. No load management with Thibbs. Better have a young team which we do because Thibbs is gonna overwork them. Team better rest up during this hiatus because if Thibbs gets the job look out. See the “pukedrill” in “Semi-Pro.” That’s how Thibbs works his guys. Noah was an MVP candidate here in Chicago, but was a used up shell by the time he hit NYC. I would prefer Mark Jackson or Woody, but I’ll settle for Thibbs . Thibbs will demand effort and accountability and return us to relevance and respectability. But in the end the 3-4 years from now we will be back in the coaching hunt looking for someone to get us over the hump. The team will plateau, Thibbs will fallout with management and get fired. That’s just what Thibbs does.

Hey Chief,

That was very good and I agree with you. Likce the part about bring D-Rose along. He would help out Frank developing into very good PG. Not Thib fan... more of a Woodson guy. The Rose thing seal it for me because it help Frank.

Didn't know you had it in YOU!!!

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by jimkcchief88 View Post
    I lived here and Chicago during Thibbs entire run here. Here are some Thibbs pros/cons Chicago media was all over. Pros: Great defensive coach. I just remember Thibbs screaming “ball pressure.” A guy like Frank would thrive under Thibbs because Thibbs would get the most out of Frank on the defensive side of the ball. Pro: Thibbs demands effort or you don’t play. We won’t see those lazy first quarters with Thibbs at the helm. Pro: Thibbs will bring D-Rose along. We still need a PG and Thibbs still trusts Derrick and Derrick still has some tread left. Cons: Thibbs is suspect on the offensive side of the ball. We will need an “offensive coordinator” because Thibbs coaches defense to a fault and this is an offensive league now. Con: Thibbs will fall out with management. Right or wrong Thibbs tells it like it is and at some point he will run afoul of Ownership/Management. That leopard ain’t changing his spots. Con: Thibbs overworks/overplays his players. No load management with Thibbs. Better have a young team which we do because Thibbs is gonna overwork them. Team better rest up during this hiatus because if Thibbs gets the job look out. See the “pukedrill” in “Semi-Pro.” That’s how Thibbs works his guys. Noah was an MVP candidate here in Chicago, but was a used up shell by the time he hit NYC. I would prefer Mark Jackson or Woody, but I’ll settle for Thibbs . Thibbs will demand effort and accountability and return us to relevance and respectability. But in the end the 3-4 years from now we will be back in the coaching hunt looking for someone to get us over the hump. The team will plateau, Thibbs will fallout with management and get fired. That’s just what Thibbs does.
    Nice assessment of Thibs, Chief. Some stuff I haven't seen in the numerous articles that have been printed about him, like Nits development under him and the puke drill when Thibs has our guys running suicides and 2 a days made me laugh. You hope he's learned something about load management after his various head coaching stints and how to stick around and not fall out of favor with the front office.

If Woody or MJax get the job it'll be because some other teams like the Rockets managed to snag him and would put the Knicks in the same position as when we lost Kerr to the Warriors and would be a bad start for Rose as our talent magnet.

Kenny Atkinson is reportedly receiving "legitimate internal support" to be named the next head coach of the New York Knicks, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.

Atkinson is gaining support due to his ability to develop young players.

Atkinson will be among the next round of interviews, which will also include Tom Thibodeau, Mike Miller, and Mike Woodson.

Thibodeau has long been rumored the favorite for the job due to his past relationship with Leon Rose.