Hire Tom Thibodeau

tiger0330

Legend
It’s interesting. If we move fast and the price is right, definitely a good chance at snagging a head coach caliber candidate as an assistant. I like both Miller and Woodson. Either one of them would be great. Atkinson seems like a pipe dream for us to get as an assistant coach, but he wouldn’t be the first head coach to do a solid job, get fired at the first sign of trouble, and then find he doesn’t have a market as a head coach anywhere else.

You have to let Thibodeau assemble his staff, but if Dolan feels generous, there is definitely an offer that could be made that I think gets Atkinson on board as an extra assistant coach. Not going to hold my breath though.
Melo’s trainer Chris Brickley used to work for the Knicks and he’s probably making a nice living training that roster of NBA players he’s got but he might be a good hire for the development staff. I wonder if there would be mutual interest.

mafra

Legend
Thibs a good fit bc we have a really young roster, who have stalled in their developments.... a roster with little expectations.

MRob, RJ, Knox and Knits are gym rats. In essence, this is our core (along with our 3 picks this upcoming draft). That?s 7 guys who will do what Thins instructs, will show up and work and practice hard.

They will buy in bc this will Almost be like a college type of feel... A Randle, Taj, Ellington and Bullock and we have our vets...

Lets get to work!

tiger0330

Legend
Thibs a good fit bc we have a really young roster, who have stalled in their developments.... a roster with little expectations.

MRob, RJ, Knox and Knits are gym rats. In essence, this is our core (along with our 3 picks this upcoming draft). That’s 7 guys who will do what Thins instructs, will show up and work and practice hard.

They will buy in bc this will Almost be like a college type of feel... A Randle, Taj, Ellington and Bullock and we have our vets...

Lets get to work!
Lot of talk about not picking up the options of guys like Taj, Portis, Ellington, Payton but Thibs is comfortable with those guys esp Taj. We might not be moving on from those guys after all.

CoolClyde

congrats HTR10! you called it, you win the internet. Mr. Thibs was my first choice, if Knicks get Woodson and Miller as asst's we'll be in very good shape. Kenny would be the cherry on top. Lots of articles coming out in support of Thibs, all the smart coaches and players, saying the right things. Defense first, holding players accountable. Thibs already has General Taj in place to be a player-coach conduit re first hand experience with every player.

It seems Rose/Wes carefully picked a brain trust of scouts, money people, moneyball statisticians, coaches, and players and filled all the positions intelligently, there's reason to assume the same careful approach will apply to players thru the draft, free agency and trades. It's an exciting time for a brand new team.

Looking forward to the Delete 8 Bubble, where Thibs and crew, Leon/Wes and FO can assess team as a whole, along with guys like Harper, Pinson, Peters and Wooten (new law firm).

I hope CP3 comes to boost the entire team's IQ, and work with Thibs on forging a young smart defensive team for years to come.

Hope everyone is safe and well at this forum. this news was the fuel of happiness.

tiger0330

Legend
congrats HTR10! you called it, you win the internet. Mr. Thibs was my first choice, if Knicks get Woodson and Miller as asst's we'll be in very good shape. Kenny would be the cherry on top. Lots of articles coming out in support of Thibs, all the smart coaches and players, saying the right things. Defense first, holding players accountable. Thibs already has General Taj in place to be a player-coach conduit re first hand experience with every player.

It seems Rose/Wes carefully picked a brain trust of scouts, money people, moneyball statisticians, coaches, and players and filled all the positions intelligently, there's reason to assume the same careful approach will apply to players thru the draft, free agency and trades. It's an exciting time for a brand new team.

Looking forward to the Delete 8 Bubble, where Thibs and crew, Leon/Wes and FO can assess team as a whole, along with guys like Harper, Pinson, Peters and Wooten (new law firm).

I hope CP3 comes to boost the entire team's IQ, and work with Thibs on forging a young smart defensive team for years to come.

Hope everyone is safe and well at this forum. this news was the fuel of happiness.
Voice out of the past. Where are Crazy8s, Metrocard and King?

NickThick

Rookie
Well you asked for it in 2016 and it finally came true.

I heard they were waiting for Woj suspension to end to let him make the announcement.

mafra

Legend
David West lost his mind bc NYK hires Thibs? What did Thibs ever do to DW?

Shouldn?t he bash Butler too, for stunting KAT and Wiggins development in MIN?

Shouldn?t he bash Butler too, for stunting KAT and Wiggins development in MIN?

I could be wrong, but I think a big part of why David West was upset had to do with the concept that if a black head coach fails, he doesn?t get another chance. We were Fizdale?s 2nd chance, so there?s that. He does have a point with regards to Mark Johnson and Ty Lue. Not sure if Patrick Ewing, who he also mentions, is ready to be an NBA head coach. Regardless, not Thibodeau?s fault those other guys can?t get jobs.

Thibodeau has the 11th highest winning percentage as a head coach in NBA history of guys who have coached more than 500 games. To answer David West, that?s why Thibodeau is getting a 3rd job.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
NBA just got an A for for their diversity hiring and B In gender hiring so West can't accuse them of racial discrimination but there are guys that aren't Thibs fans out there for sure. Watching the Bucks during the scrimmages shows you what a good coach can do in remolding a team, not only has Bud got them playing high level elite defense but he's got the Lopez brothers shooting 3s with them hitting 6 the other day, Brooks hitting 4 of them and RLo 2. Brooks looking like a better Point forward than what Fiz tried to do with Randal and he's got both playing together during the game I saw. Not sure if Bud installs that as a permanent feature but its what I expect from a good coaching staff, innovation.

tiger0330

Legend

Shouldn’t he bash Butler too, for stunting KAT and Wiggins development in MIN?

I could be wrong, but I think a big part of why David West was upset had to do with the concept that if a black head coach fails, he doesn’t get another chance. We were Fizdale’s 2nd chance, so there’s that. He does have a point with regards to Mark Johnson and Ty Lue. Not sure if Patrick Ewing, who he also mentions, is ready to be an NBA head coach. Regardless, not Thibodeau’s fault those other guys can’t get jobs.

Thibodeau has the 11th highest winning percentage as a head coach in NBA history of guys who have coached more than 500 games. To answer David West, that’s why Thibodeau is getting a 3rd job.
I'd like to know why the Knicks didn't even interview Mark Jackson though, one of the greatest PGs in our history doesn't get an interview seems outrageous and I haven't seen any reporting explaining why when it's an obvious news worthy story. I'm going to ask the guy over at The Athletic why he didn't get an interview, maybe he'll write a story about it.

mafra

Legend
I agree with wanting to know why Mark Jackson never received a call or why PE couldn?t be Herb Williams 2.0 for the org... they employed Kurt Rambis!

But NYK just had the black triumvirate ? the head coach, GM, and team president (Fizdale, Perry, Mills or plopplop fiz-fiz), yet KD and Kyrie fo to Nets over Knicks? Come on!

When West wanted a ring he went to GSW... He didn?t seem to mind they dumped Jax for Kerr.... so why all of a sudden, after NYK interviews 11 candidates, 2-3 times, and takes a franchise record time in finding their HC... now is the time to crap on a team?

Just seems like kicking an easy target for his own interest.

tiger0330

Legend
A lot of players don’t like Thibs same way guys don’t like him here, has that rep of burning out guys. West is one those players that doesn’t like Thibs it seems even though I don’t think he ever played for him in his long career.

To his credit, Mark Jackson praised the hiring of Tom Thibodeau.

Also, just read online that apparently Carmelo Anthony is a big fan of Thibodeau.

tiger0330

Legend
Apparently, my question about MJ not getting a whiff for the HC job was one that was being asked all over social media. No.real explanation given for it so someone is going to have to ask Mr. Rose if you want the answer. Mark Jackson apparently sanguine about being passed over but if I'm him I'm pissed with guys like Will Hardy and Jamal Mosely getting looks but not him.

MJ desperately wants a HC opportunity and his buddy JVG says he's going to make the guy that hires him very happy but if he really wants a HC job maybe he should aim for one of those asst jobs the Knicks have and maybe the HC job falls into his lap like it did for Miller.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If there's a former NYK who deserves a shot it's Ewing - the fact that we never even gave him a courtesy interview in the last 20 years is ridiculous.

Yet at one point we literally hired Derek Fisher who was never even an assistant coach in his life

That said when it comes to Thibs I'm OK with it. He wasn't my first choice - I wanted Kenny Atkinson - but at the very least Thibs brings a lot to the table. He's a brilliant basketball mind who's dedicated to his job and holds his players to a high standard. If he can learn to ease up on the players just a little bit when it comes to minutes, then I think he can succeed with our roster. He's criticized for being tough on players but...we NEED someone who will be tough on Kevin Knox.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Nice to see you, CoolClyde.