Hire Tom Thibodeau

Wargames

Starter
BTW, nice seeing old posters back esp. guys that know what they’re talking about.

Hey Thanks

I remember being in here are writing way to long posts about trying to trade Amare to Philly for Iggy and Vucevic, and how the Melo deal was bad because we gave up to many assets, and how stupid amnestying Billups was......

It sucks being right lol

mafra

Legend
Now that front office is in place, Rose will turn attention to HC.

Short list...

Thibs
Atkinson
Miller

tiger0330

Legend
Now that front office is in place, Rose will turn attention to HC.

Short list...

Thibs
Atkinson
Miller
Thought Thibs had the inside track for the job because he was a Rose client but Kenny might get the job because I have to agree he might be the better coach for a young team like the Knicks then Thibs might be.

Miller is a long shot because you don't want to miss a shot at established coaches like Thibs and Kenny before another team snatches them up. He deserves a shot to stay on but new coaches usually bring in their own guys so he might not even stay as an asst with the new HC.

Read they want to make a decision in the next few weeks, which may mean the HC will be in here for the draft if not on the bench coaching when the NBA reopens,

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
I?ve been doing a lot of research and I changed my mind. They shouldn?t hire Thibs. On top of all the legit concerns we don?t need a coach to challenge players.... last time that happened KP got so pissed we had to ship him out.

Hire Atkinson, it?s the smart choice. Yeah he has his own flaws but he develops players and we have a team full of underdeveloped player. It?s literally a 1+1=2 situation.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I'm sure there's an old thread back before we hired D'Antoni that I posted hire Tibs. That was long before anyone really knew who Tibs was, but I saw he was a big part of the defensive strength for the championship Boston Celtics so it seemed like a no brainer to bring him on. Instead, he went to Chicago and coached well while we got stuck with D'Antoni and a Melo who rarely passed the ball and was a blackhole on the offense.

So the game has changed but in the end the objective is to put the ball in the hoop and any team that plays solid defense can do fairly well in this new league. Knicks are so young there really aren't any egos to manage at this point. Tibs can handle it and thrive. We just need to stay the course and build through the draft for the next few years. Really not interested in trading every asset for a big name star just to stink it up again like we did with Melo. Bring back Galinari. I want a bench that's good enough to be a starting line up.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I’ve been doing a lot of research and I changed my mind. They shouldn’t hire Thibs. On top of all the legit concerns we don’t need a coach to challenge players.... last time that happened KP got so pissed we had to ship him out.

Hire Atkinson, it’s the smart choice. Yeah he has his own flaws but he develops players and we have a team full of underdeveloped player. It’s literally a 1+1=2 situation.

My dream hire is Atkinson as head coach and Miller as his assistant. Give me two player development guys over a coach like Thibs anyday

jimkcchief88

All Star
I lived here and Chicago during Thibbs entire run here. Here are some Thibbs pros/cons Chicago media was all over. Pros: Great defensive coach. I just remember Thibbs screaming ?ball pressure.? A guy like Frank would thrive under Thibbs because Thibbs would get the most out of Frank on the defensive side of the ball. Pro: Thibbs demands effort or you don?t play. We won?t see those lazy first quarters with Thibbs at the helm. Pro: Thibbs will bring D-Rose along. We still need a PG and Thibbs still trusts Derrick and Derrick still has some tread left. Cons: Thibbs is suspect on the offensive side of the ball. We will need an ?offensive coordinator? because Thibbs coaches defense to a fault and this is an offensive league now. Con: Thibbs will fall out with management. Right or wrong Thibbs tells it like it is and at some point he will run afoul of Ownership/Management. That leopard ain?t changing his spots. Con: Thibbs overworks/overplays his players. No load management with Thibbs. Better have a young team which we do because Thibbs is gonna overwork them. Team better rest up during this hiatus because if Thibbs gets the job look out. See the ?pukedrill? in ?Semi-Pro.? That?s how Thibbs works his guys. Noah was an MVP candidate here in Chicago, but was a used up shell by the time he hit NYC. I would prefer Mark Jackson or Woody, but I?ll settle for Thibbs . Thibbs will demand effort and accountability and return us to relevance and respectability. But in the end the 3-4 years from now we will be back in the coaching hunt looking for someone to get us over the hump. The team will plateau, Thibbs will fallout with management and get fired. That?s just what Thibbs does.

Hey Chief,

That was very good and I agree with you. Likce the part about bring D-Rose along. He would help out Frank developing into very good PG. Not Thib fan... more of a Woodson guy. The Rose thing seal it for me because it help Frank.

Didn't know you had it in YOU!!!

tiger0330

Legend
I lived here and Chicago during Thibbs entire run here. Here are some Thibbs pros/cons Chicago media was all over. Pros: Great defensive coach. I just remember Thibbs screaming ?ball pressure.? A guy like Frank would thrive under Thibbs because Thibbs would get the most out of Frank on the defensive side of the ball. Pro: Thibbs demands effort or you don?t play. We won?t see those lazy first quarters with Thibbs at the helm. Pro: Thibbs will bring D-Rose along. We still need a PG and Thibbs still trusts Derrick and Derrick still has some tread left. Cons: Thibbs is suspect on the offensive side of the ball. We will need an ?offensive coordinator? because Thibbs coaches defense to a fault and this is an offensive league now. Con: Thibbs will fall out with management. Right or wrong Thibbs tells it like it is and at some point he will run afoul of Ownership/Management. That leopard ain?t changing his spots. Con: Thibbs overworks/overplays his players. No load management with Thibbs. Better have a young team which we do because Thibbs is gonna overwork them. Team better rest up during this hiatus because if Thibbs gets the job look out. See the ?pukedrill? in ?Semi-Pro.? That?s how Thibbs works his guys. Noah was an MVP candidate here in Chicago, but was a used up shell by the time he hit NYC. I would prefer Mark Jackson or Woody, but I?ll settle for Thibbs . Thibbs will demand effort and accountability and return us to relevance and respectability. But in the end the 3-4 years from now we will be back in the coaching hunt looking for someone to get us over the hump. The team will plateau, Thibbs will fallout with management and get fired. That?s just what Thibbs does.
Nice assessment of Thibs, Chief. Some stuff I haven't seen in the numerous articles that have been printed about him, like Nits development under him and the puke drill when Thibs has our guys running suicides and 2 a days made me laugh. You hope he's learned something about load management after his various head coaching stints and how to stick around and not fall out of favor with the front office.

If Woody or MJax get the job it'll be because some other teams like the Rockets managed to snag him and would put the Knicks in the same position as when we lost Kerr to the Warriors and would be a bad start for Rose as our talent magnet.

mafra

Legend
Kenny Atkinson is reportedly receiving "legitimate internal support" to be named the next head coach of the New York Knicks, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.

Atkinson is gaining support due to his ability to develop young players.

Atkinson will be among the next round of interviews, which will also include Tom Thibodeau, Mike Miller, and Mike Woodson.

Thibodeau has long been rumored the favorite for the job due to his past relationship with Leon Rose.

tiger0330

Legend
Bud was praising Kenny for his player development skills, seems he's hands on according to Bud and I read Felton said the same that he gets on the floor to work with the players. Not surprising to hear since he played in Europe and I was wondering if he would accept a lead asst role to Thibs along with Robinsons job of VP of Player Development. It would mean Dolan would have to pay Kenny head coach money but he's never been worried about paying guys and I think that would be a creative way to bring both guys on.

I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. I?d rather have Thibs, but if we?re down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I don?t hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Even Mike Miller took over a team that was 4 - 18 and then coached them to a 17 - 27 record.

These are 4 guys who can help this franchise. Best case scenario, as others have suggested, is that Dolan opens up his wallet and gets us 2 of them as head and assistant coaches.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. I’d rather have Thibs, but if we’re down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I don’t hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Even Mike Miller took over a team that was 4 - 18 and then coached them to a 17 - 27 record.

These are 4 guys who can help this franchise. Best case scenario, as others have suggested, is that Dolan opens up his wallet and gets us 2 of them as head and assistant coaches.
I don't think its crazy to think we could get both Kenny and Thibs. Clips got Frank to team with Doc, similar scenario with Thibs and Kenny, younger head coach in Kenny with less experience than Thibs. Frank is now president of the Clippers so it hasn't been a bad career move for him and Kenny might have the same opportunity with the Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. I’d rather have Thibs, but if we’re down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I don’t hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Hiring Thibs as a GM/Head-coach, plus hiring Atkinson as the top assistant coach in charge of offense would mean the Knicks has plans on becoming a winning competitive team.
Perry is good to go fetch coffee.

tiger0330

Legend
Little Nate Robinson came out with a strong endorsement for Thibs, coming from a guy that had 7 head coaches and to practically say he was the best head coach he played for says something about Thibs. The season is over for the Knicks, lets get this done already and work on getting Kenny for a kicker.

mafra

Legend
Knicks plan to interview Spurs assistant Will Hardy for head coach
Some in the coaching community see Hardy as the most likely internal candidate to eventually replace Gregg Popovich

Wargames

Starter
I like Udoka as well. Pop and Brett Brown tree. Also they say he had a hand in developing Kawhi and Danny Green. Plus the Bulls are looking at him too which means he has a good rep overall.

It?s between Atkinson and Udoka in my mind

pat

Starter
I like Udoka as well. Pop and Brett Brown tree. Also they say he had a hand in developing Kawhi and Danny Green. Plus the Bulls are looking at him too which means he has a good rep overall.

It’s between Atkinson and Udoka in my mind

The two of them over Thibs any day of the week. He's been grinding players to a shell of their best version throughout his career. He's a good defensive assistant, but not a championship calibre coach. Thibs also lacks creativity.

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like the Knicks want to interview as many candidates as possible with the Knicks being sidelined for the rest of the season and opening day for next season delayed until Dec. Rose better not drag his feet on this and let Thibs or Atkinson get stolen away by some other team. I'd like to see this wrapped up by the end of July.

Hardy joins a growing list of candidates who are expected to be interviewed for the Knicks job. That includes Chicago Bulls assistant Chris Fleming, which was first reported by SNY on Tuesday, Philadelphia 76ers lead assistant Ime Udoka and Orlando Magic assistant Pat Delany.

They join a group of veteran coaches including ex-Knicks head coach Mike Woodson, former Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves head coach Tom Thibodeau and former Brooklyn Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson expected to interview for the opening.
Interim head coach Mike Miller will also get an interview with the Knicks. Team president Leon Rose was thoroughly impressed by Miller in the brief time he spent around the coach this season (prior to the suspension of the year due to coronavirus), as SNY reported.
Miller will likely get an offer to be an assistant -- or to take on another role in the organization -- if Rose doesn't name him head coach.
It's unclear who else New York will interview. Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson both have fans in the organization. There is some support in the organization for Kidd to be among those who get an interview for the opening, per sources. Spurs assistant Becky Hammon was described by a source as a name to keep an eye on for a potential interview, as Newsday first reported.

The Knicks began reaching out to potential candidates outside of Atkinson, Miller, Woodson and Thibodeau in recent days, per sources.

There is also some interest in bringing in former Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown in for an interview, per sources. It would make sense if other ascendant assistant coaches, such as Milwaukee's Darvin Ham and Utah's Johnnie Bryant, get an audience with New York.
Agents and coaches who have a vested interest in the Knicks' process have long believed that Rose is most likely to hire Thibodeau. But there is legitimate internal support for Atkinson, as SNY reported last week.
As for the other candidates, Udoka, 42, was an assistant under Popovich with the Spurs for seven seasons before joining Brett Brown's staff in Philadelphia for the 2019-20 season. Udoka is Brown's lead assistant. In San Antonio, Udoka aided in the player development of Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, Dejounte Murray and others. Player development is seen as a pivotal for New York, which has several young players on the roster.
Prior to joining the coaching ranks, Udoka played seven seasons in the NBA, including a brief stint with the Knicks is 2005-06.
Delany, meanwhile, hats been an assistant with Orlando for five seasons after rising through the Miami Heat organization, where he spent one season as their G League head coach and worked with Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra. He also spent four seasons as an assistant with the Charlotte Hornets.
Delany has worked with several established players early in their careers, including Kemba Walker, Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. He's coached under Steve Clifford, who coached with Thibodeau in New York.
Fleming has coached in Denver and Brooklyn. With the Nets, he was one of Atkinson's lead assistants. Fleming has also coached the German men's national team.
The Knicks' plans to interview Udokah were first reported by The Athletic. The club's plans to interview Delany were first reported by ESPN.
If they aren't hired as the head coach, Woodson, Miller and other candidates outside of Atkinson and Thibodeau could be added as assistants on the new coaching staff.

tiger0330

Legend

It’s between Atkinson and Udoka in my mind

The two of them over Thibs any day of the week. He's been grinding players to a shell of their best version throughout his career. He's a good defensive assistant, but not a championship calibre coach. Thibs also lacks creativity.
Thibs is the odds on favorite in my mind. Knicks had their go with a young hot shot in Fizdale, I don't think they repeat that mistake with a coach with no head coaching experience.