Hire Tom Thibodeau

mafra

Legend
We always hear about how Thibs burns out players.... Can anyone cite an example? You think he asked Rose and Butler to practice any harder than MJ?

Rose is still playing. Noah maximized his skill set, Butler became a max guy bc of the work with Thibs... he?s still playing.

I?m just wondering who this lottery stud was, whom say his HoF career derailed bc coach Thibs asked him to sweet?

I know Thibs will work here now bc our core 4 are all gym rats who want to work.

mafra

Legend
JVG PUSHES BACK AGAINST PLAYING TIME NARRATIVE

Van Gundy also criticized the media, players and fans who felt that Thibodeau played his players too many minutes/practiced too often.

?Even when I was coaching in the NBA, I think it?s always been said, ?Players are hard.? I think that does a disservice to players. Some players are hard (to coach). And it usually is about not wanting to work or not wanting to commit to the sacrifice that it takes to win at a high level. But I don?t think players have changed nearly as much as organizations and coaches have changed. You can?t demand less of players and then complain that they?re willing to do less at times. I find it does a disservice to players.

?I think good players in any era want to be challenged and pushed to be their best and they want to play on teams of significance. This idea that Tom doesn?t know how to pace his team is one of the great slanders that has been perpetuated by the media on a coach. And I think all coaches have to learn to adapt and adjust to the slights and not fight them because you can spend a lot of time trying to fight against some slanderous stuff that is said by, really, the unknowing.

?It?s not like people have gone into Tom?s practices and watched. Not the only time you pace a team is during games and not every minute is the same for every player. Like, if I?m one of his players in Chicago and I?m Keith Bogans I can spot up in the corner for 50 minutes a game because I?m not being asked to do as much.

?So I think the pacing - Bill Parcells said this long ago and it?s so true, one of the most important jobs of a coach is to pace his team correctly. That doesn?t just go to game minutes. It goes to practice minutes. It goes to how much contact you do in practice. It goes into a lot of things.

?And I think unfortunately for Tom since they couldn?t get him on the results they tried to get him on other stuff. When you look at the factual nature of it, it?s just not true. Guys played more minutes back in those days. You look at Tom in Minnesota, their guys didn?t play as much. If you want to win as a player, you?re going to do the things that it takes to win. I think as coaches we have to give them the chance to be pushed and be challenged and not subjectively say that players aren?t the same and they?re not willing to do as much.?

Thibodeau had previously addressed the criticism that he?s too hard-driving. He also intimated that he?s adapted some of his approaches to practice after visiting with teams over the past year. That?s something to keep an eye on next season.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/mark-ja...knicks-for-hiring-tom-thibodeau-as-head-coach

tiger0330

Legend
Suns Monty Williams on Thibs. Thibs is going to be the most successful coach we’ve had around here since Woody but Rose is going to have to bring in better players than Mills was able to.

On Tuesday, Suns coach Monty Williams, who worked with Thibodeau on Team USA’s 2016 Olympic Team, disputed that sentiment against the 62-year-old Thibodeau.

“I laugh at all these people that say he can’t develop younger players and he wears his teams out,” Williams said on SiriusXM Radio. “Look at the success of his programs, teams and the results bear witness.”

mafra

Legend
It?s all about the players. I expect Thibs to meld the young foundation into a precise and efficient unit, who play together, pass, defend, execute... He should weld Knits-Knox-RJ-MRob into a 4-headed Kraken. Those 4 should be on the same page, every moment, and simply banking the valuable equity of experience, which only the passing of time affords.

Task Randle with being the unselfish leader and alpha...

Work with the vets to include them
In this mentor ship, and ask Taj, Bullock, Ellington and whoever else remains around to be available when called upon. Provide the outside shooting.

Most importantly, working the roomies into this system.

There has to be consistency with minutes and rotations. Define roles day 1, let competition simmer, playing time is based on merit, but don?t go experimenting with lineups.

This, alone, would be a maximization OG the talent that?s in the room and would battle fight and claw for about 36 wins.

Now, it?s up to Rose and Perry and upgrade this talent. All options are on the table... but for Thibs, the focus has to be on the slow broil... there is no microwaveable fix here.

And, let?s be honest, it?s 3 parts preparation but 1 part luck anyway... after 2 decades... this franchise could use some.

Kiyaman

Legend
Apparently, my question about MJ not getting a whiff for the HC job was one that was being asked all over social media. No.real explanation given for it so someone is going to have to ask Mr. Rose if you want the answer. Mark Jackson apparently sanguine about being passed over but if I'm him I'm pissed with guys like Will Hardy and Jamal Mosely getting looks but not him.

MJ desperately wants a HC opportunity and his buddy JVG says he's going to make the guy that hires him very happy but if he really wants a HC job maybe he should aim for one of those asst jobs the Knicks have and maybe the HC job falls into his lap like it did for Miller.

Not offering the Knicks last ROY Mark Jackson a interview for the head coaching job are 100% Dolan.
Hiring Thibs is o.k for a lot of folks ... The next-step should be hiring a top-assistant Developing-coach to a 5 yr contract for the young-core players .. preferably Mark Jackson, or Kidd, or Atkinson.
Any of the trio-coaches mention above are much better developer/chemistry coaches than what Thibs gave to the Timbewolves.
Thibs offensive plans on Bulls/Wolves has always been a question mark?
I hope Rose know he have to hire a great offensive-developer coach for Thibs staff ???

mafra

Legend
TBH, I truly enjoy listening to MJ broadcast games. He, JVG, and Breen are a treat. I?m sure MJ is doing well and living easy. Can anybody attest to just how aggressive MJ is behind the scenes pursuing another coaching gig... dealing with the social media savvy prima donnas and the daily grind... or perhaps is he content with his current position?

tiger0330

Legend
TBH, I truly enjoy listening to MJ broadcast games. He, JVG, and Breen are a treat. I’m sure MJ is doing well and living easy. Can anybody attest to just how aggressive MJ is behind the scenes pursuing another coaching gig... dealing with the social media savvy prima donnas and the daily grind... or perhaps is he content with his current position?
I agree Breen, JVG, MJ maybe the finest broadcast team in the NBA. I do like Harlan and Reggie though. MJ has gotten too comfortable in that announcers spot and the longer he stays in it the less likely he gets a HC spot, imo he should take an asst job and build up his street cred and maybe another HC opportunity will come along. Knicks did not even give him an interview others are going to be even less likely to give him one if a team he played for would pass him up.

tiger0330

Legend
Thibs is a bball junkie, 62 years old, never married except to the game, lives in CT. You won't catch him falling asleep at practices or flying off to CA for a family issue. If work and effort define the success of a coach, Thibs will be the best coach in Knicks history.

mafra

Legend
Could Tom Thibodeau?s offense help Dennis Smith Jr.?

Thibs has been called the point guard whisperer. He has had success coaching Derrick Rose, DJ Augustin, Ricky Rubio and even Nate Robinson. All of those guys had their best years under Thibodeau.

The workaholic coach leans heavily on his point guards and asks them to initiate his offense. DSJ has some of the Rose mold, but isn?t much of a threat from the outside, using his immense speed and athleticism to get into the paint.

Can Thibs get DSJ to be aggressive again?

I think he will try to get him in more pick-and-roll situations to use his speed to his advantage. I also think under Fizdale the Knicks did not really run a set offense, which should be a major change under Thibs, who knows how to draw up plays to highlight players? strengths.

Thibodeau created his offense around Rose and I think he can do same for DSJ. The athletic guard thrives in the open court and out of the pick-and-roll. Anytime he can be the guy the with ball in his hands, it plays to his strengths and hides his lack of a perimeter game.

Thibodeau has had some good success with reviving point guard?s careers in the past. For all the talk of being a defensive guru, he has had very good offensive teams as well. With Thibodeau running the helm, it might be DSJ?s best chance to succeed in the NBA and perhaps his last shot to be a starter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailyk...om-thibodeau-save-dennis-smith-jr-career/amp/

Remember when DSJ got drafted by Dallas and they asked him to describe his game and he said ?Derrick Rose with a jump shot??. Yikes.

I sure hope Thibs can help DSJ. Personally, I think DSJ is going to disappoint again this coming season.

tiger0330

Legend
Remember when DSJ got drafted by Dallas and they asked him to describe his game and he said “Derrick Rose with a jump shot?”. Yikes.

I sure hope Thibs can help DSJ. Personally, I think DSJ is going to disappoint again this coming season.
He's got to start hitting on his jump shot but after 3 seasons, he's probably not going to get much better. Michael Porter on the other hand, less than one full active season can sure stroke it, might be a slightly bigger Klay Thompson.

mafra

Legend
He's got to start hitting on his jump shot but after 3 seasons, he's probably not going to get much better. Michael Porter on the other hand, less than one full active season can sure stroke it, might be a slightly bigger Klay Thompson.

Slightly bigger Klay, who doesn?t even try on the defensive end tho. His HC gave him the Death Stare the other day, in a game the big boy scooped up just 1 rebound.

He is like a KP who doesn?t block shots. Gonna be fascinating to see who has the better career, MP or Knox. By my count, it is 1-1 after 2 seasons. Still, foolish to pass on a sliding lottery pick.

We could have had both(Knox and MPJ) if Perry had just taken Gaines advice. Never will forget the look Perry gave me when I asked him about drafting MPJ.

tiger0330

Legend
Not offering the Knicks last ROY Mark Jackson a interview for the head coaching job are 100% Dolan.
Hiring Thibs is o.k for a lot of folks ... The next-step should be hiring a top-assistant Developing-coach to a 5 yr contract for the young-core players .. preferably Mark Jackson, or Kidd, or Atkinson.
Any of the trio-coaches mention above are much better developer/chemistry coaches than what Thibs gave to the Timbewolves.
Thibs offensive plans on Bulls/Wolves has always been a question mark?
I hope Rose know he have to hire a great offensive-developer coach for Thibs staff ???
Knicks must have paid through the nose to get Kenny Payne to leave Kentucky where he was the highest paid asst in the country at $900K. Has to be pulling in way over a million with the Knicks as an asst. I wonder if it’s in the plans to make him the lead asst along with his development role, he’s making enough dough to take on the added responsibility. Also, could be a possible path and reason he left a cushy job at Kentucky seeing an opportunity to be a head coach in the NBA.

mafra

Legend
KP on Louisville team that beat Dawkins-Alarie Duke squad.

For that money, the Knicks are getting a respected basketball mind, both at the college and pro level. Per WDRB.com?s Rick Bozich:

?The thing about Kenny most people don?t know is that he has been respected across the NBA as much as he?s been respected in college basketball,? said Milt Wagner, Payne?s friend and teammate on Louisville?s 1986 NCAA title team.

?When people in the NBA want to know about a college player, they call Kenny Payne. And not just about Kentucky players. Any player. Nobody is more plugged in.?

That is true. Always has been true.

Without an NBA Draft combine or individual workouts since the end of the college season because of the novel corona virus, Payne has taken multiple calls from NBA scouts. They asked him questions about players like Jaden McDaniels of Washington, Jordan Nwora of Louisville and others.
Bozich goes on to write that Payne?s dream of being a head coach was never realized despite 10 years at one of the NCAA?s best programs. ?College basketball failed him,? Bozich said.

Kiyaman

Legend
KP on Louisville team that beat Dawkins-Alarie Duke squad.

For that money, the Knicks are getting a respected basketball mind, both at the college and pro level. Per WDRB.com’s Rick Bozich:

“The thing about Kenny most people don’t know is that he has been respected across the NBA as much as he’s been respected in college basketball,” said Milt Wagner, Payne’s friend and teammate on Louisville’s 1986 NCAA title team.

“When people in the NBA want to know about a college player, they call Kenny Payne. And not just about Kentucky players. Any player. Nobody is more plugged in.”

That is true. Always has been true.

Without an NBA Draft combine or individual workouts since the end of the college season because of the novel corona virus, Payne has taken multiple calls from NBA scouts. They asked him questions about players like Jaden McDaniels of Washington, Jordan Nwora of Louisville and others.
Bozich goes on to write that Payne’s dream of being a head coach was never realized despite 10 years at one of the NCAA’s best programs. “College basketball failed him,” Bozich said.

Payne is the Knicks' first coaching addition since they officially named Thibodeau as their new bench boss July 30.
"I'm thrilled that Kenny has joined my staff as an assistant coach," Thibodeau said in a statement. "He has an outstanding ability to forge relationships with players and improve their skills.

"He knows what it takes to win and has learned from one of the best coaches there is in John Calipari. Kenny will be a tremendous addition to our organization."

Payne joined Calipari's staff in 2010 as an assistant before being promoted to associate head coach in 2014. During his time with the Wildcats, Payne helped recruit several players who would go on to become NBA stars, including Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns. He also played a role in Kentucky's national championship in 2012.

"I am a better coach and leader of young men today because of my time in Lexington under the legendary Coach Cal," Payne said. "I now take the next step in my basketball journey and fulfill my dream of coaching in the NBA.

"I'm beyond grateful and excited for the chance to work for such a prestigious organization as the New York Knicks under the leadership of Leon Rose, Scott Perry, William Wesley, and Tom Thibodeau, who I have such great admiration and respect for.

I just hope Payne's able to recruits FA Cauley-Stein to backup MitchRob at Center.

A WINNER !!!

tiger0330

Legend
First project I want KP to take on is DSJ, not Knox, not Randle, not Nits. Tell Thibs after a couple of months, the kid has what it takes or not.

Bulls fire head coach Jim Boylen. This is a team who fired Tom Thibodeau, whose record was 255 - 139 as Bulls head coach, and have since gone 132 - 196 with 2 different head coaches.

Their loss is our eventual gain I think. If we hadn?t hired Thibodeau, would have been interesting to see if there was any spark of interest for a reunion in Chicago. Probably not.

tiger0330

Legend
Bulls fire head coach Jim Boylen. This is a team who fired Tom Thibodeau, whose record was 255 - 139 as Bulls head coach, and have since gone 132 - 196 with 2 different head coaches.

Their loss is our eventual gain I think. If we hadn’t hired Thibodeau, would have been interesting to see if there was any spark of interest for a reunion in Chicago. Probably not.
Boylen had the second worst record in Bulls history next to Tim Floyd with a .317 record in his 2 seasons but listening to a Bulls reporter this season that was calling for him to be fired, it wasn't about the record but about the young team not developing under him. Thibs has that same challenge, Fizdale didn't want to hire dedicated development coaches preferring all his coaches to take some part in development, but now with Rose more than Thibs looks to hire a guy like KP who has an excellent reputation as a development coach. I think that's the right approach, alway thought Robinson was full of crap trying to develop young guys from the front office. We need development down in the trenches, I mentioned that guy Chris Brickley that trains Melo as a guy that I'd like to see hired.