Hire Tom Thibodeau

tiger0330

Legend
Throw another name into the hat Jamahl Mosely of the Mavs will interview for our HC spot. I think this was the guy that they assigned DSJ to when he broke into the league. DSJ showed promise under Mosely so I think he’s a capable player development coach. What I remember about him that I never saw with RJ or Nits is Mosely would huddle with DSJ on almost every play perhaps telling him what he did wrong or could improve on when DSJ first broke into the league.

Kiyaman

Legend
We been complaining bout the Knicks PG position for to long .. We need to hire/sign one of the ex-player PG having coaching experience like Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd as the Knicks head-coach for the next four seasons.

tiger0330

Legend
We been complaining bout the Knicks PG position for to long .. We need to hire/sign one of the ex-player PG having coaching experience like Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd as the Knicks head-coach for the next four seasons.
Those two haven't even been mentioned as candidates for interviews which is curious when you would think they would be. MJ being passed up again for an open coaching opportunity, doubt he ever becomes an NBA head coach again unless he leaves that ESPN announcer job and takes an asst job somewhere before getting another head coaching opportunity.

tiger0330

Legend
Those two haven't even been mentioned as candidates for interviews which is curious when you would think they would be. MJ being passed up again for an open coaching opportunity, doubt he ever becomes an NBA head coach again unless he leaves that ESPN announcer job and takes an asst job somewhere before getting another head coaching opportunity.
Kidd was a confirmed interview along with Mike Brown. This is going to be the ultimate diss if Mark Jackson doesn't get an interview, ain't right for one of the greatest Knicks PGs not to get an interview.

mafra

Legend
Kidd was a confirmed interview along with Mike Brown. This is going to be the ultimate diss if Mark Jackson doesn't get an interview, ain't right for one of the greatest Knicks PGs not to get an interview.

Steve Popper

@StevePopper
Sources close to Kidd have said that he would have interest in this job (he played for Dolan and Knicks in last successful season for NY) - and some teams interested in Kidd think that he could provide a link to the prize of next year's free agent class, Giannis.

? Kidd brought the Nets to the Eastern Conference Semifinals in his lone season in Brooklyn. He then had the Bucks in the playoffs in two of his three full seasons there, helping develop Giannis Antetokounmpo during the early stages of his career. League sources have indicated that some teams with interest in Kidd believe not only that he has experience guiding teams to the postseason, but that he could help in free agency next summer recruiting not only Antetokounmpo, but any number of stars.?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
As SNY's Ian Begley confirmed on Monday, Lakers assistant coach Jason Kidd will be getting an interview for the Knicks' head coach position. He had reported last week that there was "strong internal consideration" to interview Kidd for the job.

Not only does Kidd have the head coaching experience, but there might be one specific reason -- a player to be exact -- the Knicks might be considering his employment.

Giannis Antetokounmpo will be playing in the final year of his four-year, $100 million pact with the Bucks next season, making him the most intriguing free agent to hit the market in 2021. He has confessed his desire to stay in Milwaukee, but only if they prove to remain one of the top teams in the East, so he can compete for the Larry O'Brien Trophy every year.

But other teams in the league that can offer the supermax to him could be of interest to the uber-dynamic point guard when he's allowed to test the market. That's where Kidd comes in.

As Newsday's Steve Popper first reported, Kidd could help a team land Antetokounmpo in free agency given his time coaching the Bucks during the All-Star's developmental years.

Kidd was head coach of the Bucks from 2014-18, and when he started, Antetokounmpo was just coming off his rookie year. By 2016, though, Antetokounmpo's development under Kidd led to 22.9 points per game and 52.1 percent shooting from the field. "The Greek Freak" has spoke very highly of Kidd during his time in Milwaukee.

So could Kidd, who also played his final NBA season in New York in 2012-13 and has a good relationship with owner James Dolan, be that bridge between Antetokounmpo and the Knicks? It's a long shot, of course, but it does factor into Kidd's case. Not only would landing Antetokounmpo immediately benefit the Knicks, but other free agents might be inclined in joining him at Madison Square Garden.

The Knicks want to return to glory, and that means hiring a coach that can not only help develop key pieces like RJ Barrett and Mitchell Robinson, but also one that can help generate wins quickly. Through his years head coaching, Kidd owns a 44-38 record, and has reached the playoffs three times -- once with the Brooklyn Nets in his first year as head coach in 2013-14, and twice with the Bucks during the 2014-15 and 2016-17 seasons.

There are many other candidates for new team president Leon Rose to interview including Tom Thibodeau (the reported favorite), Mike Woodson, Kenny Atkinson, Mike Brown and others.

tiger0330

Legend
You don't hire a coach because he MIGHT attract a FA. Kidd is a middling HC, Thibs has forgot more about coaching than Kidd ever knew. Nate said Thibs has a got a game plan and 7 backup plans behind it, talked like he was the best coach he ever played for. Hire Kidd as Thibs lead asst instead of Kenny if you think there's a chance he might be able to attract the Freak here but I can't think of superstar that signed with a team because of the coach. The top guys want to win, so hire the guy that gets us into the playoffs like Thibs did with the TWolves after 14 years.

Wargames

Starter
You don't hire a coach because he MIGHT attract a FA. Kidd is a middling HC, Thibs has forgot more about coaching than Kidd ever knew. Nate said Thibs has a got a game plan and 7 backup plans behind it, talked like he was the best coach he ever played for. Hire Kidd as Thibs lead asst instead of Kenny if you think there's a chance he might be able to attract the Freak here but I can't think of superstar that signed with a team because of the coach. The top guys want to win, so hire the guy that gets us into the playoffs like Thibs did with the TWolves after 14 years.

Honestly I think Kidd has a really good shot at the HC position. On top of the fact he has led teams to the playoffs most of the seasons he?s been a HC, and developed some of the best youngish guys in the league who personally are all overproducing from the position they were drafted at.

He is currently the lead assistant for arguably the best team in the league with the Lakers and as somebody said, we?re trying to draft a PG high this year. It makes just as much sense to hire him as it does Thibs and Kenny and that is when you (like me) think that Giannis story is pure humbug. My only thing is I would want the knicks to pair him with a defensive assistant like they did when they put Woodson next to D?antoni. He is a leader, and has a good concept of offense. Defensively though he was lacking and could use help. Pay Udoka or Mosley HC money and see if they are willing to come to NY. The unspoken aspect being if Kidd messes up (and their is a pretty fair chance of that occurring) they would slot in as his HC.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Kidd sort of has a bit of each trait.... I mean, Thibbs praises for always being competitive, for the most part. Atkinson praised for development of kids.

Kidd ?developer? some talent in MIL and has them competitive every season.

I just feel like his off the court issues and ego issues may derail things, but only if there isn?t a connection with Rose. I don?t know their history, so it may come down to the interview.

I do know that the season he was here, in 2012, probably the only decent year we?ve had this century....

tiger0330

Legend
Rose says expect head coaching decision to be made in mid to late July. So, a few weeks to a month from now.
Looks to be on track with the 2nd round of 3 hr interviews completed for all 11 candidates. Our boy Thibs said to have the inside track with Kidd's interview the only one reported as one that was outstanding. Would have thought we would have heard something about Kenny being interviewed since he's one of the higher profile guys that are candidates but I had to ask the guy at The Athletic if he was interviewed.

Read there was some concern that Thibs might turn down the job like Kerr did but I doubt it with Rose here and the Rockets and Nets still in the running for the remainder of the season.

Mark Jackson not even considered for the job along with JVG. Have to think a reason is their time away from the game their broadcasting jobs aside.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Honestly I think Kidd has a really good shot at the HC position. On top of the fact he has led teams to the playoffs most of the seasons he’s been a HC, and developed some of the best youngish guys in the league who personally are all overproducing from the position they were drafted at.

He is currently the lead assistant for arguably the best team in the league with the Lakers and as somebody said, we’re trying to draft a PG high this year. It makes just as much sense to hire him as it does Thibs and Kenny and that is when you (like me) think that Giannis story is pure humbug. My only thing is I would want the knicks to pair him with a defensive assistant like they did when they put Woodson next to D’antoni. He is a leader, and has a good concept of offense. Defensively though he was lacking and could use help. Pay Udoka or Mosley HC money and see if they are willing to come to NY. The unspoken aspect being if Kidd messes up (and their is a pretty fair chance of that occurring) they would slot in as his HC.

The NBA winning Logic says, "Jason Kidd is the wisest choice for the Knicks head coaching (and GM assistant) job for the next 5 seasons."

tiger0330

Legend
I'm not a big J. Kidd fan.

Perfectly honest with you not a fan at all.
Write up I saw about him said he talks a good game, which is how he made that seamless transition from player to a rookie head coach spot, not many have the privilege of doing that most have to pay their dues like Udoka. His interview with the Knicks confirmed that, only guy I heard whose interview was described as great. Still when he left the Bucks, they were last in rebounding and the next year Bud turns that around to make them the top rebounding team along with a substantial improvement in the Bucks record. My guy is still Thibs, sink or swim with a guy with the most experience, a proven track record, guys like Nate and BJ that praise him. Offer Kidd the lead asst job, he should see the possibility of becoming the next HC if Thibs falls on his sword like every HC we’ve had around here.

tiger0330

Legend
I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. I?d rather have Thibs, but if we?re down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I don?t hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Even Mike Miller took over a team that was 4 - 18 and then coached them to a 17 - 27 record.

These are 4 guys who can help this franchise. Best case scenario, as others have suggested, is that Dolan opens up his wallet and gets us 2 of them as head and assistant coaches.

I don't think its crazy to think we could get both Kenny and Thibs. Clips got Frank to team with Doc, similar scenario with Thibs and Kenny, younger head coach in Kenny with less experience than Thibs. Frank is now president of the Clippers so it hasn't been a bad career move for him and Kenny might have the same opportunity with the Knicks.
Seems Kenny came in for what maybe his third interview leading to speculation that Rose may want to bring Kenny on as the lead asst to our new HC. I mentioned Craig Robinson's job is vacant since departing so seems logical the Knicks could offer him that spot also. I'd redefine the Robinson role to one being more hands on, traveling with the team instead of being a front office one.
I don?t think it?s the former. I also think, however unlikely it might be, there?s a chance this was a pitch for an associate HC position. But again, that?s pure speculation.
? Jonathan Macri (@JCMacriNBA) July 21, 2020

tiger0330

Legend
Reports now say Kenny's last interview was his second so he's just completing his interview process so you can dismiss any of the other speculation. He's in the running for the HC spot just like Thibs is.

mafra

Legend
Per Ian Bagley, over on SNY Sports (Knicks):

Sources: Knicks expected to hire at least one head-coaching candidate as an assistant

The Knicks still plan to wrap up their coaching search by the end of the month. As they get closer to the finish line, several people briefed on the Knicks? thinking expect them to hire at least one of the current head-coaching candidates as an assistant on the next head coach?s staff.

Some old-school coaches bristle at the idea of a team hiring assistant coaches for their staff. But the practice has become more common recently as franchises collaborate with coaches on the coaching staffs.

Two examples of late: Both Derek Fisher and David Fizdale had assistant coaches on their staffs that were favored by management.

As of late last week, the Knicks had continued to do due diligence on candidates. It is believed that candidates interviewed briefly for the job over 30-minute Zoom calls and then followed up with more formal interviews. An unconfirmed report from Sports Illustrated stated that Kenny Atkinson had received an interview on Monday.

Agents and coaches with a vested interest in the Knicks? search have long believed that Tom Thibodeau is the coach most likely to be hired by Knicks president Leon Rose.

Rose and Thibodeau have a close relationship. Thibodeau is also close with Knicks executive vice president and senior advisor William ?World Wide Wes? Wesley.

Atkinson, Jason Kidd and Mike Woodson also have strong ties to the organization and significant support from some at Madison Square Garden.

Additionally, Rose was impressed by interim head coach Mike Miller during the brief time that he got to work alongside him in March. Miller interviewed for the head-coaching position.

There is some internal support at the Garden to adding Miller and/or Woodson on the next coaching staff, regardless of who the head coach is.

Golden State assistant Mike Brown, Bulls assistant Chris Fleming, Dallas assistant Jamahl Mosely, San Antonio assistant Will Hardy, Philadelphia 76ers lead assistant Ime Udoka and Orlando Magic assistant Pat Delany also have interviewed for the job.

Rose, Wesley, GM Scott Perry and Vice President of Basketball and Strategic Planning Brock Aller have been among the group of Knicks participating in the interviews, per SNY sources.

mafra

Legend
NY Post Reporting that Thibs is amenable to having assistant coaches picked for him by Rose, bc he trusts Leon.

? Thibodeau would want at least a few familiar faces with him in New York if hired ? certainly his longtime assistant Andy Greer and right-hand utility man, Daisuke Yoshimoto.

Greer worked alongside Thibodeau on Jeff Van Gundy?s Knicks? staff and followed him to Chicago and Minnesota. Yoshimoto, who started as video coordinator, also has been with Thibodeau in Chicago and Minnesota.

Another top candidate would be Andy?s brother, Larry Greer, a Suns assistant this past season who was on Thibodeau?s Minnesota staff.

Dolan is on the hook to pay Fizdale next season and the season thereafter. The Post has learned the $22 million pact was fully guaranteed.

In addition, Fizdale?s assistant coaches are under contract next season ? including the already ousted Keith Smart and currently employed-but-in-limbo Kaleb Canales, Pat Sullivan, Jud Buechler and Royal Ivey.

?In trying to be thorough and doing everything perfectly, the Knicks are dragging it out to a new level,?? one NBA source said. ?I believe they know who they?re going to hire, always have. They just need to make sure.??