Hire Tom Thibodeau

I wonder are we going to here about being on the hook with Fiz and his assistants as much as we hear about Noah? I agree signing Noah was bad but Fiz and his assist. Phil just sign Noah not all of those bums. No wonder Fiz is good at keeping his mouth shut and singing all the way to the bank.

BTW, if it is Thib then he would be crazy as hell to let someone pick his coaching staff.

tiger0330

Legend
I wonder are we going to here about being on the hook with Fiz and his assistants as much as we hear about Noah? I agree signing Noah was bad but Fiz and his assist. Phil just sign Noah not all of those bums. No wonder Fiz is good at keeping his mouth shut and singing all the way to the bank.

BTW, if it is Thib then he would be crazy as hell to let someone pick his coaching staff.
This isn't like the old days that Clyde always talks about when there was Red Holzman and no one else. Lakers and Clips haven't done so bad with former head coaches like Frank, TLu, Hollins, Kidd, Woody on their benches. Plenty of jobs for Thibs to fill allowing for Rose to put in one or two of his guys.

Kiyaman

Legend
This isn't like the old days that Clyde always talks about when there was Red Holzman and no one else. Lakers and Clips haven't done so bad with former head coaches like Frank, TLu, Hollins, Kidd, Woody on their benches. Plenty of jobs for Thibs to fill allowing for Rose to put in one or two of his guys.

Headcoach .. Thibs
Developing-coach .. Kidd or Mark Jackson

NickThick

Rookie
Man this would be a massive step backwards on what seems to be a treadmill going in reverse in terms of decision making.

The guy had a bunch of years off for his voice to heal and to actually learn some basketball nuance, but came back just as hoarse and equally poor if not worse (as the NBA had moved on) at coaching basketball.

They need a thoroughly more modern approach!

Same old Knicks. NY Daily News reporting that Jason Kidd is now the frontrunner for the Knicks head coaching job because contract negotiations with Thibodeau fell apart:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200724-jw5f4ec5vfg7xmnredsmfqtzsa-story.html

Somehow everything we do turns into a mess. I know some people like Kidd, but at least go with Atkinson or Woodson if you can't get Thibodeau. Kidd will bring the circus and will not bring The Greek Freak. Only our sorry franchise could lose out on a head coach when we are literally competing with no one for his services.

Thibodeau maybe doesn?t want front office picking his assistants after all? Could this really be about money? Just awful.

I?m just going to say this now. Jason Kidd will be a terrible hire. We?ll be doing this again in a year and a half if we hire him.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks have to meet Thibs terms, he's the reported top candidate for the Rockets job and he can wait another season while getting paid by the TWolves. Knicks probably want to give him a 4 year deal and he wants 5 to compensate him for the year he's guaranteed by the TWolves. Knicks position is we have a guy that we think is outstanding so no need to give into unrealistic demands by anyone.

mafra

Legend
Reportedly, Dolan balking atneetioj g Samson demands. Considering he?s laying Fiz too, this may be the line inn the sand.

Unless Atkinson and Woodson are his assistants, I want no part of Kidd here

tiger0330

Legend
Reportedly, Dolan balking atneetioj g Samson demands. Considering he?s laying Fiz too, this may be the line inn the sand.

Unless Atkinson and Woodson are his assistants, I want no part of Kidd here
Woody and Atkinson probably wouldn?t accept asst jobs so it?s going to be someone else that is going to have to be Kidd?s lead asst. Thibs is probably asking for the moon in terms of compensation, Fiz got 5.5M a year, I?m thinking Thibs asking at least 8M and for 5 years guaranteed. Dolan balking and probably a deal breaker with Thibs in no hurry to take another job with the Rox job waiting and the Knicks job a pressure cooker.

Job looks to be Kidd?s in my mind. Last guy to get turned down for wanting too much money, Ty Lue and he won a championship.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Sources: Tom Thibodeau finalizing 5-year deal to be coach of New York Knicks

The New York Knicks and Tom Thibodeau are finalizing a five-year deal to make him the franchise's next head coach, sources tell ESPN.

Knicks president Leon Rose and agent Spencer Breecker of CAA Sports were working Saturday to complete contractual terms and a signed agreement is expected in the near future, sources said.

Rose and executive VP William Wesley are completing a two-month search process with the candidate, Thibodeau, long expected to emerge with the job. Together, they'll be tasked with the daunting challenge of restoring a forlorn franchise to NBA relevance.

Full story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-finalizing-5-year-deal-coach-new-york-knicks

Yes! Hell yeah! Public reaction so bad to idea of losing out on Thibs yesterday for Kidd that it forced the agreement on a 5th year? Who knows? More likely yesterday?s story about Kidd was fake news.

I?ve wanted this for years, obviously based on this thread. Thibs can fix this team. If we?re not above 0.500 and a playoff team by year 2, I?ll bow out on these forums. That?s how much I believe in Thibs.

And yeah, sure, bring DRose back. Whatever Thibs needs to get this done.

mafra

Legend
Rose ropes another line drive single....
Would love Atkinson or Woodson to join him. Let?s go play some defense.

It?s interesting. If we move fast and the price is right, definitely a good chance at snagging a head coach caliber candidate as an assistant. I like both Miller and Woodson. Either one of them would be great. Atkinson seems like a pipe dream for us to get as an assistant coach, but he wouldn?t be the first head coach to do a solid job, get fired at the first sign of trouble, and then find he doesn?t have a market as a head coach anywhere else.

You have to let Thibodeau assemble his staff, but if Dolan feels generous, there is definitely an offer that could be made that I think gets Atkinson on board as an extra assistant coach. Not going to hold my breath though.

pat

Starter
This is good news! Knicks need to be a force on defense. Tibs is the best coach on the market. Now they've got to get the personnel right.
That's the point. You won't get the personnel right with him at the helm. Players want to have long careers and that ain't gonna happen with him.

That's the point. You won't get the personnel right with him at the helm. Players want to have long careers and that ain't gonna happen with him.

MRob, Ntilikina, RJ, and whoever we draft this year don?t exactly have a choice.

I guess my question is: what big impact free agent was coming here with what other coaching candidate?

tiger0330

Legend
We got a guy the complete opposite of Fizdale, who always said when asked why the defense broke down and allowed 20 3s, “I don’t know, I got to look at the film”. We got a guy in Thibs that will get in the players faces during a game and not wait until the game is over to look at the film after the loss.

tiger0330

Legend
DJ Augustin another guy coming out in support of Thibs, saying if you want to be great, Thibs will push you to be great. We will see but I think Thibs has learned something about load management, he might play guys 30-40 minutes but they?ll practice less and maybe get more days off.