Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    12th man

Bud was praising Kenny for his player development skills, seems he's hands on according to Bud and I read Felton said the same that he gets on the floor to work with the players. Not surprising to hear since he played in Europe and I was wondering if he would accept a lead asst role to Thibs along with Robinsons job of VP of Player Development. It would mean Dolan would have to pay Kenny head coach money but he's never been worried about paying guys and I think that would be a creative way to bring both guys on.

Veteran

I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. Iíd rather have Thibs, but if weíre down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I donít hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Even Mike Miller took over a team that was 4 - 18 and then coached them to a 17 - 27 record.

These are 4 guys who can help this franchise. Best case scenario, as others have suggested, is that Dolan opens up his wallet and gets us 2 of them as head and assistant coaches.
    Last edited by htr10; Jun 14, 2020 at 10:51.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. I’d rather have Thibs, but if we’re down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I don’t hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Even Mike Miller took over a team that was 4 - 18 and then coached them to a 17 - 27 record.

These are 4 guys who can help this franchise. Best case scenario, as others have suggested, is that Dolan opens up his wallet and gets us 2 of them as head and assistant coaches.
    I don't think its crazy to think we could get both Kenny and Thibs. Clips got Frank to team with Doc, similar scenario with Thibs and Kenny, younger head coach in Kenny with less experience than Thibs. Frank is now president of the Clippers so it hasn't been a bad career move for him and Kenny might have the same opportunity with the Knicks.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    I think Atkinson is a good choice who would obviously be a steal as an assistant coach, but also could be great as head coach. I’d rather have Thibs, but if we’re down to him, Atkinson, Woodson, and Miller, no matter what, I like where this is going.

Woodson in Atlanta and New York, Thibs in Chicago and Minnesota, and Atkinson in Brooklyn, all are coaches who sooner or later coached those teams in the playoffs. In all cases, those relationships then soured, which is a reason why I don’t hold Minnesota against Thibs.

Hiring Thibs as a GM/Head-coach, plus hiring Atkinson as the top assistant coach in charge of offense would mean the Knicks has plans on becoming a winning competitive team.
    Perry is good to go fetch coffee.

12th man

Little Nate Robinson came out with a strong endorsement for Thibs, coming from a guy that had 7 head coaches and to practically say he was the best head coach he played for says something about Thibs. The season is over for the Knicks, lets get this done already and work on getting Kenny for a kicker.

Knicks plan to interview Spurs assistant Will Hardy for head coach
    Some in the coaching community see Hardy as the most likely internal candidate to eventually replace Gregg Popovich

I like Udoka as well. Pop and Brett Brown tree. Also they say he had a hand in developing Kawhi and Danny Green. Plus the Bulls are looking at him too which means he has a good rep overall.

Itís between Atkinson and Udoka in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Wargames View Post
    I like Udoka as well. Pop and Brett Brown tree. Also they say he had a hand in developing Kawhi and Danny Green. Plus the Bulls are looking at him too which means he has a good rep overall.

It’s between Atkinson and Udoka in my mind
    The two of them over Thibs any day of the week. He's been grinding players to a shell of their best version throughout his career. He's a good defensive assistant, but not a championship calibre coach. Thibs also lacks creativity.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    Kurt Vonnegut

12th man

Looks like the Knicks want to interview as many candidates as possible with the Knicks being sidelined for the rest of the season and opening day for next season delayed until Dec. Rose better not drag his feet on this and let Thibs or Atkinson get stolen away by some other team. I'd like to see this wrapped up by the end of July.

Hardy joins a growing list of candidates who are expected to be interviewed for the Knicks job. That includes Chicago Bulls assistant Chris Fleming, which was first reported by SNY on Tuesday, Philadelphia 76ers lead assistant Ime Udoka and Orlando Magic assistant Pat Delany.

They join a group of veteran coaches including ex-Knicks head coach Mike Woodson, former Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves head coach Tom Thibodeau and former Brooklyn Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson expected to interview for the opening.
    Interim head coach Mike Miller will also get an interview with the Knicks. Team president Leon Rose was thoroughly impressed by Miller in the brief time he spent around the coach this season (prior to the suspension of the year due to coronavirus), as SNY reported.
    Miller will likely get an offer to be an assistant -- or to take on another role in the organization -- if Rose doesn't name him head coach.
    It's unclear who else New York will interview. Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson both have fans in the organization. There is some support in the organization for Kidd to be among those who get an interview for the opening, per sources. Spurs assistant Becky Hammon was described by a source as a name to keep an eye on for a potential interview, as Newsday first reported.

The Knicks began reaching out to potential candidates outside of Atkinson, Miller, Woodson and Thibodeau in recent days, per sources.

There is also some interest in bringing in former Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown in for an interview, per sources. It would make sense if other ascendant assistant coaches, such as Milwaukee's Darvin Ham and Utah's Johnnie Bryant, get an audience with New York.
    Agents and coaches who have a vested interest in the Knicks' process have long believed that Rose is most likely to hire Thibodeau. But there is legitimate internal support for Atkinson, as SNY reported last week.
    As for the other candidates, Udoka, 42, was an assistant under Popovich with the Spurs for seven seasons before joining Brett Brown's staff in Philadelphia for the 2019-20 season. Udoka is Brown's lead assistant. In San Antonio, Udoka aided in the player development of Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, Dejounte Murray and others. Player development is seen as a pivotal for New York, which has several young players on the roster.
    Prior to joining the coaching ranks, Udoka played seven seasons in the NBA, including a brief stint with the Knicks is 2005-06.
    Delany, meanwhile, hats been an assistant with Orlando for five seasons after rising through the Miami Heat organization, where he spent one season as their G League head coach and worked with Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra. He also spent four seasons as an assistant with the Charlotte Hornets.
    Delany has worked with several established players early in their careers, including Kemba Walker, Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. He's coached under Steve Clifford, who coached with Thibodeau in New York.
    Fleming has coached in Denver and Brooklyn. With the Nets, he was one of Atkinson's lead assistants. Fleming has also coached the German men's national team.
    The Knicks' plans to interview Udokah were first reported by The Athletic. The club's plans to interview Delany were first reported by ESPN.
    If they aren't hired as the head coach, Woodson, Miller and other candidates outside of Atkinson and Thibodeau could be added as assistants on the new coaching staff.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Wargames View Post

It’s between Atkinson and Udoka in my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    The two of them over Thibs any day of the week. He's been grinding players to a shell of their best version throughout his career. He's a good defensive assistant, but not a championship calibre coach. Thibs also lacks creativity.
    Thibs is the odds on favorite in my mind. Knicks had their go with a young hot shot in Fizdale, I don't think they repeat that mistake with a coach with no head coaching experience.

I agree, especially after Fisher-Hornachek

12th man

Throw another name into the hat Jamahl Mosely of the Mavs will interview for our HC spot. I think this was the guy that they assigned DSJ to when he broke into the league. DSJ showed promise under Mosely so I think he’s a capable player development coach. What I remember about him that I never saw with RJ or Nits is Mosely would huddle with DSJ on almost every play perhaps telling him what he did wrong or could improve on when DSJ first broke into the league.

12th man

We been complaining bout the Knicks PG position for to long .. We need to hire/sign one of the ex-player PG having coaching experience like Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd as the Knicks head-coach for the next four seasons.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    We been complaining bout the Knicks PG position for to long .. We need to hire/sign one of the ex-player PG having coaching experience like Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd as the Knicks head-coach for the next four seasons.
    Those two haven't even been mentioned as candidates for interviews which is curious when you would think they would be. MJ being passed up again for an open coaching opportunity, doubt he ever becomes an NBA head coach again unless he leaves that ESPN announcer job and takes an asst job somewhere before getting another head coaching opportunity.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Those two haven't even been mentioned as candidates for interviews which is curious when you would think they would be. MJ being passed up again for an open coaching opportunity, doubt he ever becomes an NBA head coach again unless he leaves that ESPN announcer job and takes an asst job somewhere before getting another head coaching opportunity.
    Kidd was a confirmed interview along with Mike Brown. This is going to be the ultimate diss if Mark Jackson doesn't get an interview, ain't right for one of the greatest Knicks PGs not to get an interview.