Hire Tom Thibodeau

Berman of the NY Post thinks hiring Thibs has a snow ball's chance in hell of happening. John Paxon who played for PJ is still an exec with the Bulls and PJ is still probably in contact with him, Paxson probably shot him down as hard to work with, doesn't communicate with mgt. major requirements and hot buttons for Phil.

Can he really give the job to Kurt with the record he's compiled? Brian Shaw, not enough meat on the bone to hire him either in my view. Luke Walton is his best hope, let's hope PJ can convince him to leave GS for the Knicks.

I am filled with a sense of dread about our coaching situation for next year. Maybe it will all be part of the ''master plan' to tank for another lottery pick.

tiger0330

Legend
Smart money says Walton stays in GS but if he's offered a 25M 5 yr guarantee deal can he turn it down? Problem is will Dolan give it to him after DFish, DFish deal was only guaranteed for 4 years but Walton has more experience and with a winner unlike Fisher who had zero experience.

I say give Walton the money, he knows the triangle and was successful in his brief stint filling in for Kerr.

If he turns it down we're left with these names.

Brooks
Blatt
Shaw
Hornacek
Jackson

Walton turns it down I've read Rambis is going to be the guy maybe as a proxy and next best thing to PJ coming down to the sidelines. If PJ goes with Rambis that's how I'd sell it to NY fans.

mafra

Legend
nY Post said forget Thibs and Walton. Berman noted that the Paxson brothers in CHI have nothing good to tell JAX about Thibideau, and that he thrives on crisis and chaos... NYK org doesn't need that, PJ believes.

Also said this about DF and Grant: "Things were so bizarre under Fisher that, according to sources, assistant coach/former point guard Jim Cleamons was told to limit his contacts with rookie Jerian Grant. Rambis has given Cleamons free rein to speak with Grant, and he?s showed progress in recent weeks after stagnancy under Fisher."

tiger0330

Legend
Now Marc Stein and Begley are saying Rambis may be the Knicks head coach.Phil can't talk to Walton until the playoffs are over for the Warriors. I hope he at least waits until then before hiring someone and he should be interviewing the large number of candidates out there in the mean time. Hiring Rambis in May would make a make the whole thing a sham.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
This franchise needs to give Ewing a chance, he's been an assistant coach for other teams for 13 years and has done a lot of work bith big men like Yao or Howard. I could see him help Porzingis develop into a legit superstar. What do you guys think of a combination between Thibodeau & Pat?

This franchise needs to give Ewing a chance, he's been an assistant coach for other teams for 13 years and has done a lot of work bith big men like Yao or Howard. I could see him help Porzingis develop into a legit superstar. What do you guys think of a combination between Thibodeau & Pat?

I would take them in a second. Unfortunately, if the reports are true that Thibodeau is not even going to be a consideration, I think this is beyond unlikely.

PJ is going to bring back Rambis for next season in all likelihood. Why? Because PJ likes Rambis. That's it. Bottom line. It doesn't matter to PJ how much worse Rambis' record has been than Fisher or that many of the players including Melo don't seem to be too interested in being coached by Rambis.

My guess at this point is that any head coaching search is going to be a complete farce. Maybe the end goal will be a 2017 lottery pick and forcing Melo to waive his no-trade clause. Who knows?

tiger0330

Legend
Ewings name is never mentioned as one of the coaching candidates so probably a million in one shot. I think maybe as a big man coach for KP and as an asst with the next head coach would be a great job for him. He probably would only leave Charlotte for a head coaches job though.

tiger0330

Legend
If you've been reading what DFish has been saying about the triangle and Rambis criticism that DFish didn't practice it enough during training camp, you can see Rambis is going to be named the new head coach for the Knicks. PJ's thinking is going to be "I know the triangle can work, I won 11 titles with it. It just needs to be taught and implemented correctly, the best guy to do that is Kurt with me working behind the scenes with him". Get used to it people, Kurt Rambis head coach of the NY Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil Jackson has the famous Alzheimer disease .. Phil won 11 championship with the triangle offense having veteran NBA Super-Star scorers mixed with veteran super-star defensive players .. Phil has yet to pass our 37 win season when we didnt have a GM or president.
Rambis was a ex-player of Pat Riley doing what Kareem Abdul Jabbar told him what to do in the frontcourt to keep up with the transition speed of Magic Johnson. When Kareem retired Rambis became useless as a player. Rambis has been a BIG-JOKE as a headcoach in the NBA .. Ex-Laker Big-man Lonnie Divac has 10 times the skills, leadership, and player coaching experience than Rambis rolled up in one sneaker. Yet for some phenomenal power the NBA keep endorsing a BUM head coach Rambis to teams. SMFH

The Knicks are in desperate need of a ex-player PG head coach Mark Jackson to tutor both guards in the backcourt to control the game by keeping the ball out of "SLOW ISO-Melo" hands 60% of each game.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Hire Thibs... Beg Melo to agree to a trade to CLE. Get that high pick (via BKLN) from BOS... Draft Simmons or Ingram or a guard...
Be another lottery team next year... Draft another top talent... Then, with 3 lottery picks in place... Surround them with vet and talent and round out roster with cap space.

Thibs plus our youth and 2 lottery picks is how we get out of this mess.

Mafra gets it IGHT again.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Phil Jackson has the famous Alzheimer disease .. Phil won 11 championship with the triangle offense having veteran NBA Super-Star scorers mixed with veteran super-star defensive players .. Phil has yet to pass our 37 win season when we didnt have a GM or president.
Rambis was a ex-player of Pat Riley doing what Kareem Abdul Jabbar told him what to do in the frontcourt to keep up with the transition speed of Magic Johnson. When Kareem retired Rambis became useless as a player. Rambis has been a BIG-JOKE as a headcoach in the NBA .. Ex-Laker Big-man Lonnie Divac has 10 times the skills, leadership, and player coaching experience than Rambis rolled up in one sneaker. Yet for some phenomenal power the NBA keep endorsing a BUM head coach Rambis to teams. SMFH

The Knicks are in desperate need of a ex-player PG head coach Mark Jackson to tutor both guards in the backcourt to control the game by keeping the ball out of "SLOW ISO-Melo" hands 60% of each game.

Said to perfection.

paris401

Starter
if Me-Lo agrees to a trade and we do a 3 way ... don't we have to take back 24m in salary... give or take a few $$$$...????

if Me-Lo agrees to a trade and we do a 3 way ... don't we have to take back 24m in salary... give or take a few $$$$...????

Can't remember exactly how it works, but for example, both us and Boston are under the cap by a decent margin this offseason, so as long as Cleveland gives up Love's big contract to take Melo's big contract, it should overall be doable with the numbers. Not sure if other 3 team trade scenarios are as workable.

Broadway

All Star
Can't remember exactly how it works, but for example, both us and Boston are under the cap by a decent margin this offseason, so as long as Cleveland gives up Love's big contract to take Melo's big contract, it should overall be doable with the numbers. Not sure if other 3 team trade scenarios are as workable.

Both teams over the cap, I think they have to be within the 125% rule. If one is under you don't have to match but there still are some stipulations for the team over the cap

Broadway

All Star
lol

Not that he isn't a bad candidate but on the basis of playing with Steve Mills at Princeton is laughable

Last edited by a moderator:

rady

Administrator
Staff member
If Carmelo supports Rambis having the interim tag removed he’s keeping that a secret. Carmelo has had ample opportunity to endorse Rambis but instead suggested a full blown coaching search. What does that tell you?

For the second time in three days, Anthony said he’d like to have his voice heard this summer. For most players, that’s code for “hire the coach I want to play for.”

A source close to Anthony insists that his preferred choice is Tom Thibodeau, a coach Jackson seems to have no interest in speaking to. Remember that the next time someone says or reports that Phil is just doing his due diligence. Yeah right.

Maybe Carmelo would be fine with Mark Jackson, Scott Brooks, David Blatt or even Jeff Van Gundy. Either way, he wants input.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...carmelo-anthony-dolan-coach-article-1.2600393

There it is, Melo wants a say on the head-coach and he's not supporting Rambis, now it's up to you, Phil