Other NBA games and League

tiger0330

Legend
I was wondering what they were going to fine Mark Cuban for saying the best thing for the Mavs to do was tank. Well Silver hit him with a big fine but nothing he can't afford.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $600,000 by the NBA for saying his team should tank this season.

Cuban called tanking "brutal" but acknowledged that he told his team that it would be best to lose for the rest of the 2017-18 season.
Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement that the fine was for "for public statements detrimental to the NBA."

Cuban told Julius Erving on the "House Call with Dr. J" podcast Feb. 18 that he shared his opinion with the team recently.

"I'm probably not supposed to say this, but, like, I just had dinner with a bunch of our guys the other night, and here we are, you know, we weren't competing for the playoffs. I was like, 'Look, losing is our best option,'" Cuban said on the podcast. "Adam [Silver] would hate hearing that, but I at least sat down and I explained it to them. And I explained what our plans were going to be this summer, that we're not going to tank again. This was, like, a year and a half tanking, and that was too brutal for me. But being transparent, I think that's the key to being kind of a players' owner and having stability."
"I earned it,'' Cuban told The Associated Press when asked about the latest fine. "I got excited talking to Dr. J and said something I shouldn't have.''
In May, Cuban said the Mavericks looked to lose as much as they could at the end of last season once the team was out of postseason contention. Dallas finished with the ninth-worst record in the NBA and didn't improve its draft position through the lottery.
The Mavericks (18-40) have the third-worst record in the NBA but are among a logjam of seven teams with fewer than 20 wins. The team with the worst record will have a 25 percent chance of making the No. 1 pick in June's draft.

Starting with the 2019 draft, the three teams with the worst records will share a 14 percent chance of getting the No. 1 overall pick, lessening the incentive to lose at the end of the season.

I was wondering what they were going to fine Mark Cuban for saying the best thing for the Mavs to do was tank. Well Silver hit him with a big fine but nothing he can't afford.

I love stuff like this. Really taught Cuban a lesson with this 600,000 dollar fine. Cuban's net worth is 3.7 billion. Not that I'm saying the fine should have been bigger. Cuban is just saying what everyone is already thinking.

mafra

Legend
They need to end the nonsense. Either your record determines your draft position or every team not in playoffs should have same exact odds to land 1 or 14th. What contributes more to parity anyway?

A team who is up and coming and finishes 42-40 but just misses being top 8 in Conf... give that team the top pick and watch them turn it around.

After all, how many teams who drafted 1st overall won NBA title during Lottery era? CLE did... SA... not many else? And Spurs with Robinson injury were more like the 14th team than a traditional lottery dog.

And CLE won bc Lebron a GOAT candidate

Broadway

All Star
They need to end the nonsense. Either your record determines your draft position or every team not in playoffs should have same exact odds to land 1 or 14th. What contributes more to parity anyway?

A team who is up and coming and finishes 42-40 but just misses being top 8 in Conf... give that team the top pick and watch them turn it around.

After all, how many teams who drafted 1st overall won NBA title during Lottery era? CLE did... SA... not many else? And Spurs with Robinson injury were more like the 14th team than a traditional lottery dog.

And CLE won bc Lebron a GOAT candidate

That would be a bad idea because you'd have 8th seeds(possibly Pelicans) avoiding getting waxed in the 1rst rd(GSW) to get the #1 pick. The whole point is to create competitive balance, which the NBA has done well in recent yrs as records are more comparable yr-to-yr. One thing I'd like to see is the league implement something similar like they do with trades on picks

Take for instance when it comes to 1st rounders
A team can't trade out of it in consecutive yrs...as many of you already knew

Well take this same principle with the draft
A team can't finish in the Top whatever(let's say 5 for example) in consecutive yrs

So if a team finishes anywhere 1-5 this summer, then in 2019 the best they can do is a Top 6 pick. If a team finishes with the #2 pick in 2018 the best they could do is 6th in 2019. No matter how bad their record was

Now the drawing takes place as it normally would(based on record) and if said team still drew a top 5 pick on selection day, they have to forfeit it to the next available team. So in the example above you got the #2 overall pick in 2018 and then drew #4 in 2019...#5 goes to #4 and #6 goes to #5 and #4 goes to #6(best possible outcome). It would almost be a like a draft selection trade of sorts, might make draft selection day even more exciting before draft day

This is about what's best for the league, not what's best for your team in the current set of circumstances(when those change from yr-to-yr). I would allow an exception to the above written if injury becomes a weighty factor but it would have to be gms based. Say you lose a key player a certain amount of gms. I guess such player(s) would already have to be a designate(listed starter having played so many gms-mins as one) prior to season's begin.

The Top whatever has wiggle room doesn't have to be Top 5

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I don?t see much competitive balance in the NBA.... it?s the worst of all the major sports. Only 10 teams have won a title since 1984. Something has to change.

If you didn?t have Bird, MJ, Shaq/Kobe, Lebron, or weren?t SA or GSW you basically had not shot to win a title (aside from the outlier years HOU, DET, DAL).

Now, if just being good and winning 50 games and winning a round or 2 in the playoffs is good enough, then... sure.... competing balance.

In MLB, there?s been 8 different champs the last 10 years.and that?s a sport without a salary cap...

I seriously doubt teams would tank to avoid being the 8th seed... if so, what?s the difference between what occurs now. Presently, there?s about 10 teams in full on tank mode the final quarter of the season. This is getting ridiculous.

Broadway

All Star
I don’t see much competitive balance in the NBA.... it’s the worst of all the major sports. Only 10 teams have won a title since 1984. Something has to change.

If you didn’t have Bird, MJ, Shaq/Kobe, Lebron, or weren’t SA or GSW you basically had not shot to win a title (aside from the outlier years HOU, DET, DAL).

Now, if just being good and winning 50 games and winning a round or 2 in the playoffs is good enough, then... sure.... competing balance.

In MLB, there’s been 8 different champs the last 10 years.and that’s a sport without a salary cap...

I seriously doubt teams would tank to avoid being the 8th seed... if so, what’s the difference between what occurs now. Presently, there’s about 10 teams in full on tank mode the final quarter of the season. This is getting ridiculous.

I can guarantee you if Zion Williamson was declaring this summer every 6th-8th spot would be vacated if the 9-10th spot landed you the #1 pick

The other leagues have one big xfactor variable on competition balance(post season results as the tell all)

THEY DON'T ALLOW OVER HALF THEIR LEAGUE TO MAKE POST-SEASON PLAY...thus you see more changing results in who the champions are

I like the fact at least the NBA is acknowledging the playoff format is wacky and is looking heavily to at least going best overall league record then seeding them accordingly.

You know who doesn't like this idea right?

"THE FRAUD, DON'T MAKE ME GO THROUGH STIFF COMPETITION TO PROVE MY GREATNESS​ LEBRON JAMES"

Yeah he'd rather not play a gauntlet of Sixers 1st-rd, OKC 2nd rd, GSW 3rd, before possibly sniffing a Finals. Doing this probably provides even more competitive balance and can't wait until this gets approved which I feel highly likely it will. Not to mention I think it would be the first inter-league of it's kind. I'm All-In with this.

mafra

Legend
I?d prefer NBA do shorter series earlier to give underdogs a better shot to upset top dawgs. First 2 rounds should be best of 3.

Mike1989

Rookie
I?d prefer NBA do shorter series earlier to give underdogs a better shot to upset top dawgs. First 2 rounds should be best of 3.

I suppose in a best of 3 there is a chance that a team could restrict a Golden State twice and cause an upset. But would we want to watch New Orleans vs Miami, battle of the 8th seeds, in the finals? Or would we rather watch the best teams that have earned their spot?

I'd love to see a non-Warriors and Cavs finals this year, but when the Knicks aren't involved I want to see the best teams compete. If someone like New Orleans gets there by winning best of sevens then that's great, but it takes a little shine off it if they get to the finals by winning shorter series. But I suppose that is one way to change the play offs without removing conferences or adding a competition for 7 to 10 placed teams.

Broadway

All Star
I’d prefer NBA do shorter series earlier to give underdogs a better shot to upset top dawgs. First 2 rounds should be best of 3.

I'd be okay with this in theory although I'd rather see as much basketball as possible(selfish reasons). My how guys like Lebron's and Durant's career numbers would look so different. In many cases they're still chasing Jordan after having played more gms/minutes in some respects...Jordan lived through the 3gm/5gm series era Lebron never has(inflated/bloated numbers). Then again Jordan got to be so good he didn't need 7gms to finish teams off

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
An 82 game season plus 3 Conf rounds of Best-of-7 just to get to the Finals is overkill.

This might be fourth year in a row GSW-CLE meet. In other words, too much meaningless b-ball from Nov-May just to get to June.

Broadway

All Star
An 82 game season plus 3 Conf rounds of Best-of-7 just to get to the Finals is overkill.

This might be fourth year in a row GSW-CLE meet. In other words, too much meaningless b-ball from Nov-May just to get to June.

Yeah it's pretty scripted(although some are still fascinated by it, it's losing steam)...that's why I hope Adam Silver starts making quick work of offseason dialogue. Changing things with innovation but implement it quickly. I don't want to see rule changes based on a few yrs of undesired results. Constant tinkering of operation with no true long term solutions(just band aids) only spells weakening bball eras.

And I'm sorry if fans can endure a 162gm season of stick ball(longer time played per/gm) plus post-season, we can endure an 82gm NBA season. Plus they make way too much money(coming out of our pockets) to be playing any less

I know it blows when our team isn't the horse in the race but there's a level of reasonableness here. Once again stop allowing 16 teams in out of 30(as mentioned a few posts back by Mike there's soft talk of expanding this with a play in) that's so childish. The NBA does not need to look like March Madness in April. The 7-10 seed play in is an absolutely ridiculous idea, I believe originally suggested by Bill Simmons(from his podcast)...so no surprise there he's an idiot

I mean Lebron(more so he) and Durant are responsible for trying to turn the whole league into DC vs Marvel. Players with no pure competitive juice will manipulate rules if they suck. Start making them more iron clad. If you have a player like Lebron saying he doesn't like a rule change coming on the horizon...then maybe just maybe you might be close to solving the puzzle.

The All-Star tweak was a small step in the right direction of ramping up the spirit of competition. Adam Silver needs to continue on this upward trend

Last edited:
Jimmy Butler injured his right knee last night. He has an MRI today. Is another Thibs team about to be derailed by a major knee injury to a star player?

tiger0330

Legend
Jimmy Butler injured his right knee last night. He has an MRI today. Is another Thibs team about to be derailed by a major knee injury to a star player?
Didn't look that bad when Butler got hurt, wasn't like KP's injury doing a highlight dunk and getting contact injuring the knee coming down. No contact when Butler got hurt, just awkwardly twisting his knee pivoting his body. Hard to believe it's going to be more than a bad sprain but if he's out the other guys are going to have to step up, I think they have enough talent to get into the playoffs without Butler. Wiggins has to step up in particular with Jimmy out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Didn't look that bad when Butler got hurt, wasn't like KP's injury doing a highlight dunk and getting contact injuring the knee coming down. No contact when Butler got hurt, just awkwardly twisting his knee pivoting his body. Hard to believe it's going to be more than a bad sprain but if he's out the other guys are going to have to step up, I think they have enough talent to get into the playoffs without Butler. Wiggins has to step up in particular with Jimmy out.

I don't know .. KP injury looked like a 2 week sprain .. Butler injury looked more like a month sprain .. that's me

Kiyaman

Legend
Ben Simmons gets the Rookie of the year hands down .. no rookie has come close to Simmons high b.ball IQ or all-around leadership performance.
Donovan Mitchell has put up some nice high scoring numbers but not half as good as Simmons outstanding 2-way performance to win games.
Ben Simmons quick movement on the defense-end of the court has all his teammates on the 76ers following in suit of Simmons to where the 76ers went on a 7 game win streak in February .. and may go on another long win streak in March to become a 4th or 5th seeded postseason team.

tiger0330

Legend
Good game down in HOU. Rox win their 15th straight, really a deep team beating the Celts w/o an injured Ryno and Gerald Green who is shooting 39% from 3 didn't even get off the bench. Boston bench were really good also scoring 67 pts. Moose looks to be a good pickup for them, the bench will be critical to beat the Raps whose 2nd unit has the best net rating in the NBA. Might see a HOU/TOR finals which I would love to see rather than a Cavs/GS finals.

Broadway

All Star
Ben Simmons gets the Rookie of the year hands down .. no rookie has come close to Simmons high b.ball IQ or all-around leadership performance.
Donovan Mitchell has put up some nice high scoring numbers but not half as good as Simmons outstanding 2-way performance to win games.
Ben Simmons quick movement on the defense-end of the court has all his teammates on the 76ers following in suit of Simmons to where the 76ers went on a 7 game win streak in February .. and may go on another long win streak in March to become a 4th or 5th seeded postseason team.

Their defensive numbers are close

Simmons has a 103 overall Defensive Rating
Mitchell has a 106.6 overall Defensive Rating

Simmons has a .550 Defensive Win Share
Mitchell has a .444 Defensive win Share

And maybe you haven't paid attention because it's UTAH but they've gone 16-5 and are currently 2gms out of a playoff spot in a more competitive West

Kiyaman

Legend
Their defensive numbers are close

Simmons has a 103 overall Defensive Rating
Mitchell has a 106.6 overall Defensive Rating

Simmons has a .550 Defensive Win Share
Mitchell has a .444 Defensive win Share

And maybe you haven't paid attention because it's UTAH but they've gone 16-5 and are currently 2gms out of a playoff spot in a more competitive West

Utah made the playoffs last year, they also lost a couple of good players in the off-season but they also picked up a few decent players in the off-season especially grabbing a 2-way multi-position player out the draft Donovan Mitchell to go alongside of their new pass-first PG Rubio .. the two players clicked well in the backcourt throughout the Preseason games.

What's remarkable bout Ben Simmons performance are the comparison to the roles of Magic Johnson / Larry Bird rookie season. By performing the team leadership role on the court as rookie before midseason start.
Ben Simmons high IQ at leading the point for Philly as a rookie having his lineup performing on the same-page by doing all the things a leader does for 32 minute per game has Philly record standing at 34-28 plus a 6th seed postseason team .

The Dolan Knicks dont allow winning leadership players to play for the Knicks !!!

Bulls just got warned by the NBA for tanking too obviously and not playing healthy guys like Robin Lopez in an obvious effort to lose.