Other NBA games and League

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by tiger0330
Three NBA head coach job openings today with the dismissals of Bickerstaff, Joerger and Drew by the Griz, Kings and Cavs respectively. Magic stepping down probably saved or delayed the firing of Luke but I don't see how you can avoid being fired after signing LeBron and then not making the playoffs.

Kiya wishing Fizdale is next but he probably gets another year like our last 2 coaches.

Lakers fired Luke today. I'd expect LeBrons old war horse Ty Lu to be their next coach.

What part of the 17-65 record the Knicks front-office didn't understand bout FIRING their FAKE coach David Fizdale ???
At the end of the 2018-19 regular season the Knicks front-office had 65 reasons to FIRE David Fizdale after the final game of the regular season .. Why are the Knicks going to wait till the 18th regular season game of the 2019-20 season to have a 4-12 record to decide to FIRE BUM coach David Fizdale like the Grizz did ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Brooklyn Nets are in the House by winning the first game of the post-season over the 76er's All-Star starting-5 lineup.
Embiid shooting 5-15 fga, and the 76er's team shooting 3-25 from the 3-ball line .... D'Angelo Russel dynamic postseason game performance makes Magic Johnson decision to quit, and the firing of Luke Walton a good decision for the Lakers.
Head coach Kenny Atkinson strategic-move and 10 Man rotation out-coached Philly coach Brett Brown throughout all 4 quarters of the game for a 111 - 102 Brooklyn Nets win.

Hold-On .. we had more under-dog wins in the postseason games today by the Orlando Magic 104 -101 win over the Toronto Raptors .. than the experience Spurs grabbed a 101 - 96 win over the Denver Nuggets in their first game showdown.

tiger0330

Legend
Luke Walton now being accused of sexual assault from back in 2016, as per story on ESPN.com.
Bad couple of weeks for Luke, first the Lakers fire him and then this. What next his wife filing for divorce?

Suns also fired their rookie coach Igor Kokoskov. This was a surprise to me since like Fizdale he wasn't hired to win but to develop the young players. Seems to have been caught in that front office shakeup in PHX like Hornacek was when they fired PJ.

Last edited:
How do you know when your league is broken? When a team without 2 star players rolls its way to another championship.

tiger0330

Legend
How do you know when your league is broken? When a team without 2 star players rolls its way to another championship.
EC has home court this year. If KD is out for the finals, I'm predicting a Bucks upset of the World Champion Dubs which implies that I believe the Bucks will win the EC finals in 6.

mafra

Legend
GSW would?ve lost if not for McCullom collapse last night late 4th. He missed 5 shots and had a turnover the final 3 minutes of the game.

Here come the Raptors. I think this is going to be a case of 2 teams battling to the death in the Conference Finals to then face a team in the NBA Finals who is going to just destroy whichever team makes it through. I hope I am wrong though and either Toronto or Milwaukee will have enough left to take on a well rested GSW team.

tiger0330

Legend
Here come the Raptors. I think this is going to be a case of 2 teams battling to the death in the Conference Finals to then face a team in the NBA Finals who is going to just destroy whichever team makes it through. I hope I am wrong though and either Toronto or Milwaukee will have enough left to take on a well rested GSW team.
Funny thing is the Sixers may have been the the best team in the EC if Kawhi hadn't made that lucky game winner and Joel wasn't sick for a couple of those games, we might be seeing a Bucks/Sixers Finals.

I posted that JVG agreed with me in game 3 that the Bucks were the best team in the NBA and they would go on to beat the Warriors in the finals but after seeing them dismantle POR with KD, Iggy and Cuz out I wouldn't bet against them even if KD doesn't make it back, that team has the right stuff.

mafra

Legend
If the Knicks want to sign Kemba Walker, they might need the New York native to take quite the hometown discount.

The 29-year-old Hornets guard was named to the All-NBA Third Team Thursday, making Walker immediately eligible to receive a supermax extension from the only NBA team he?s ever known

tiger0330

Legend
If the Knicks want to sign Kemba Walker, they might need the New York native to take quite the hometown discount.

The 29-year-old Hornets guard was named to the All-NBA Third Team Thursday, making Walker immediately eligible to receive a supermax extension from the only NBA team he’s ever known
I actually think the odds got better at signing Kemba now that he's eligible for that supermax. He plays for a small market team with an owner that has not lavished players with huge deals, the track record for paying PGs these supermax deals has been mixed, worked for GS, hasn't worked out for Wall and Conley. Maybe Jordan factors in the fact they underpaid Kemba like the Griz seemed to do with Conley and gives him that supermax deal but I think he goes cheap and tries to convince KW to take less money to give CHA financial flexibility to build around him. The Knicks offer would then be competitive with the deal MJ offers him. KW is a very good player but not one of the few players that can change a game with their 2 way play like KL or KD, I'd think hard about offering him a max deal.

Kind of crazy to think that because Klay Thompson didn?t make All-NBA this year, a subjective award, his 5-year deal is now 30 million dollars less than a guy like Kemba.

mafra

Legend
NBA will have to drastically alter their monetary incentive max/Supermax/Bird Rights nonsense, which were devised and implemented to encourage homegrown talent to remain in small markets. It hasn?t worked and has made life miserable for capologists to circumvent...

It?s are leaving, signing short term deals and opting out and re-upping.

Stop the crap. Either a hard cap or none at all.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kind of crazy to think that because Klay Thompson didn’t make All-NBA this year, a subjective award, his 5-year deal is now 30 million dollars less than a guy like Kemba.

I'm still baffled on how Kemba beat out Klay & Simmons & Beal ???

tiger0330

Legend

The 29-year-old Hornets guard was named to the All-NBA Third Team Thursday, making Walker immediately eligible to receive a supermax extension from the only NBA team he’s ever known

I actually think the odds got better at signing Kemba now that he's eligible for that supermax. He plays for a small market team with an owner that has not lavished players with huge deals, the track record for paying PGs these supermax deals has been mixed, worked for GS, hasn't worked out for Wall and Conley. Maybe Jordan factors in the fact they underpaid Kemba like the Griz seemed to do with Conley and gives him that supermax deal but I think he goes cheap and tries to convince KW to take less money to give CHA financial flexibility to build around him. The Knicks offer would then be competitive with the deal MJ offers him. KW is a very good player but not one of the few players that can change a game with their 2 way play like KL or KD, I'd think hard about offering him a max deal.
If the Knicks want Kemba they probably can get him for a 4yr 141M deal. CHA most likely won't offer him that super max deal.

When it was announced that Kemba Walker was a 2019 All-NBA third-team selection, it appeared that the Charlotte Hornets became more likely to keep their best player. A new report, however, suggests that isn’t quite the case.
According to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, Charlotte won’t offer Walker the supermax contract that he’s now eligible to receive. By making an All-NBA team, Walker can sign a five-year, $221 million extension with the Hornets this summer, while teams with salary cap space can only make him a four-year, $141 million offer.
Smith reported on “First Take” Friday morning that Hornets’ chairman Michael Jordan is unwilling to keep Walker if it means surpassing the luxury tax threshold. The NBA is projected to have a $109 million salary cap and a $132 million tax level for the 2019-2020 season.
If Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marvin Williams exercise their player options—that’s a safe assumption—the Hornets will be committed to paying about $98 million in player salaries next year before addressing Walker’s contract. The supermax would pay Walker a little over $38 million for the 2019-2020 season, putting Charlotte well into the tax.

Maybe the Hornets could get creative with trades to shed some payroll, but their roster is filled with undesirable contracts. No team is taking on the $52.6 million Nicolas Batum is owed over the next two years. Bismack Biyombo’s $17 million salary would be hard to move unless Charlotte wants to also give up an asset in a potential deal.
Walker’s greatest incentive to stay in Charlotte would be the money. The Hornets can offer him $80 million more in guaranteed money than anyone else.
If the gap between contract offers isn’t that significant, you’d have to think Charlotte’s odds of keeping Walker will decrease significantly. There’s a good chance the veteran will get a max offer from either the Los Angeles Lakers or New York Knicks since the two teams have three available max slots between them this offseason.
The Lakers prefer to use their max contract on a superstar like Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard, but they seem unlikely to land one of the top players on the market. Los Angeles has a better shot to land Kyrie Irving or Jimmy Butler, though they aren’t the favorites for either player.
The Knicks are eyeing Durant and Irving. If they miss out on Irving, Walker would make a ton of sense for New York.
The Dallas Mavericks have also been linked to Walker. They will have money to spend this offseason.
No one knows exactly what will happen this summer, but the Lakers, Knicks and Mavericks should all give Walker a better chance to win than the Hornets.
Charlotte’s payroll situation will keep them from contending for the foreseeable future unless they somehow land an All-Star in the draft. The Hornets have the No.12 overall pick on June 20.
Walker has made the playoffs twice and never advanced to the second round of the postseason. If the Hornets aren’t willing to offer him the most money possible, the All-Star’s other options will start to look much, much more appealing.

mafra

Legend
According to ESPN.com, Rockets GM Daryl Morey has made all of his players and picks available in trade talks with the exception of James Harden. Even Chris Paul may be available, according to the report. The New York Times backed up ESPN, saying the Rockets have shopped around center Clint Capela in recent days.

Paul has a lengthy injury history and is 34 years old with three years and $124 million left on his contract, which could make him a difficult piece to trade off. Capela, 25, could be seen as much more valuable as one of the rising centers in the game and a reasonable four years and $76 million left on his contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
According to ESPN.com, Rockets GM Daryl Morey has made all of his players and picks available in trade talks with the exception of James Harden. Even Chris Paul may be available, according to the report. The New York Times backed up ESPN, saying the Rockets have shopped around center Clint Capela in recent days.

Paul has a lengthy injury history and is 34 years old with three years and $124 million left on his contract, which could make him a difficult piece to trade off. Capela, 25, could be seen as much more valuable as one of the rising centers in the game and a reasonable four years and $76 million left on his contract.

I would actually trade for Chris Paul's high $$$ contract, or Conley's high $$$ contract to have a winning veteran play-maker to mentor and advise our cheap young-core players .. RJ Barrett, Frank, DSJr, Trier, Dotson, and Kadeem into star role-player guards the next two seasons.

tiger0330

Legend

Other than Harden and PJ the Rockets should blow it up.

[FONT=&quot]The Ikosystem: Rockets aggressive in tradetalks; Nick Nurse forever a Viper
[/FONT]

gettyimages-1052721608-594x594.jpg

By Kelly Iko[FONT=&quot] 23m ago[/FONT]
save-icon.png

[FONT=&quot]Isaiah Hartenstein and Michael [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Frazier had a 9:30 workout at Toyota Center Wednesday morning, as they’ve had every day for over a week now.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At some point during a break, Hartenstein checked his phone and muttered “Damn” after reading the Adrian Wojnarow[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ski tweet that the Rockets were making all players and picks available in trade talks.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another young Rocket, Vince Edwards, was in Ohio when he heard the news.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Both figured everything could be on the table with how the season ended for the Rockets this year, another excruciating playoff ouster by the Golden State Warriors, but seeing it spelled out for all to see was still shocking.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Houston owner Tilman Fertitta had warned of as much minutes after the disappointing Game 6 loss at home to the undermanned Warriors, saying, “They kicked our ass on our home court. They beat us by 10 points in the f[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ourth quarter. It’s unacceptable, Okay? We just have to be better. I know that we’re going to rise to the occasion and our time is going to come. “James (Harden) is 30 years old (this August). … Hakeem (Olajuwon) didn’t win his first championship until (31). I can promise you, we’re going to win some championships with James Harden, because we are not going to sit here. We will go to battle every year. We’re going to have a strong offseason, and we’re going to do whatever we need to do to be a better team. We are not going to sit on our hands, I can promise you that.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the two and a half weeks since that night, there have been four high-profile exits in the coaching staff — top defensive assistant Jeff Bzdelik, assistant coaches Roy Rogers and Mitch Vanya and player development assistant [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rv Roland. Head coach Mike D’Antoni has said he wants to come back, and the team [/FONT][FONT=&quot]stated during the season that it intends to extend him this offseason. Negotiations are believed to be ongoing. But how much more will D’Antoni’s team have changed if he indeed returns?[/FONT]

Adrian Wojnarowski

✔@wojespn

[FONT=&quot]Sources: In calls to front offices, Houston GM Daryl Morey is showing an aggressive desire to improve roster with all players and picks available [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in talks. Hard to imagine James Harden scenario, but the rest under contract - perhaps even Chris Paul - could be moved in right deal.[/FONT]

11:27 AM - May 29, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

4,746 people are talking about this

[FONT=&quot]Of the players who could net the most via trade, one is center Clint Capela, who came up small in the series against the Warriors and seems to be a poor match against them in playoff settings. The 25-year-old big man is in the first year of a five-year, $80 million guaranteed deal. That’s an extremely team-friendly contract and a moveable piece.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Capela has improved in every season he’s bee[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n a part of the organization and is the prototypical rim-running big man so many teams are dying for these days. Phoenix and Sacramento were high on him a year ago, only to see their lottery luck pan out differently.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then there’s the case of Chris Paul, whom the Rockets owe $124 million over the next three years. As [/FONT]The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported earlier this month, Paul had tense moments with Harden throughout the Game 6 loss to the Warriors, culminating in a verbal back-and-forth postgame that went into the locker room. Sources said the verbal exchange was regarding the ball distribution throughout Game 6. By the time the remainder of the locker room was ready to talk, Paul and Harden had gone their separate ways, with Paul swiftly making his way to the postgame podium. The Rockets dispensed with exit interviews this year, so the media hasn’t been able to ask Paul or Harden about the disappointment.

With the way Houston’s current offense is set up, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where they could get drastically better by moving the 34-year-old Paul. If D’Antoni returns and sticks with his staggering scheme, how would the Rockets improve without the All-Star guard’s services? He’s still one of the game’s best floor generals and defenders, even at his age. His scoring might not be what it once was, but it’s hard to pin the Rockets lack of a Western Conference Finals berth on him alone.

One league source said that Houston “would move heaven and earth” if it could acquire someone like Kawhi Leonard, who has shown he can lead a team to the Finals — first with San Antonio and now Toronto. Every other big-name free agent will be on Houston’s radar as well, as GM Daryl Morey looks for an avenue to climb into that elusive championship tier.

As for the coaching changes, perhaps the most surprising was the decision to move on from Roland. There are some within the organization who believe D’Antoni could have tried to prevent Roland’s firing, but contend that he didn’t stand in the way.

The remaining assistants — Jon Lucas, Matt Brase and Brett Gunning — could be safe for now, but there’s a strong sense of uneasiness. Some are looking over their shoulder, unsure of the state of their job security amidst the upheaval. Specifically, the contracts of Gunning and Brase are likely not to be renewed after their current deals expire in 2020.

All of it has the potential to affect the high level of morale and camaraderie the Rockets have enjoyed for so long. You have Coach D’Antoni, insistent on an extension and obsessed with getting over the hump. He was not comfortable without the assurance of long-term security and wants to put pen to paper. There’s Morey, the wheeler and dealer whose feelings on a three-year extension are unclear at this point. There’s even one school of thought that the recent moves were done to discourage D’Antoni from wanting to extend his time in Houston.

Kiyaman

Legend
NBA will have to drastically alter their monetary incentive max/Supermax/Bird Rights nonsense, which were devised and implemented to encourage homegrown talent to remain in small markets. It hasn?t worked and has made life miserable for capologists to circumvent...

It?s are leaving, signing short term deals and opting out and re-upping.

Stop the crap. Either a hard cap or none at all.

Good point .. if the league wants to do these type of high $$$ contracts it should not count as full against the cap.
I?m thinking if league wants players to really stay, supermax deals need to have a cap discount. Charlotte could keep Kemba but its the tax and prohibitive to add players for them to do both.

Nobody wants Paul. It would take most of their assets just to convince a sap to take him.

Dolan/Mils/Perry/and Tank-Tank Fizdale are the SAP that should take Chris Paul $124M 3yr contract.
It would be a much brighter move than giving Joakim Noah $80M for a NO-Show.
Or giving away a load of future first round draft picks plus all the young-guns on the team for a ISO-Melo, or AD.
Plus Chris Paul leadership comes with CP3 own creative 2-Way system that's a 100 times better than Fizdale's LOSER isolation system.
Recall .. The best season the knicks had in the past 20 years were the one (2012-13) season Jason Kidd provided the Knicks with Kidd's creative player/coach/system/and leadership to take us Knicks fans to the 2nd round of the post-season games.
All I'm saying .. are CP3 and Durant complimentary performance could make our young-core players into a post-season team over-night !!! '