Other NBA games and League

Boston fans were apparently pretty brutal about taunting Kyrie, even though he was out injured and not present for the Nets. Kyrie?s social media response then showed how thin skinned he is despite years of being in the spotlight.

mafra

Legend
Boston fans were apparently pretty brutal about taunting Kyrie, even though he was out injured and not present for the Nets. Kyrie?s social media response then showed how thin skinned he is despite years of being in the spotlight.

Unless NYK get a stud in the draft, I?ll probably watch more Nets game than Knicks next year... but, it?ll be bc if rubbernecking. No way this doesn?t end any way but KD and KI getting hammered by this media market. Especially
If they falter in playoffs. They won?t handle
The negative press...

mafra

Legend
Carmelo Anthony dropped 19 points on 9-of-11 shooting -- averaging out at 81.8 percent, the best single-game clip of his 17-year career -- as he helped the Portland Trail Blazers to Wednesday's 136-119 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Anthony's debut before the home crowd at Mora Center in Portland, Oregon, complemented the Blazers' 20-point trio of guards Damian Lillard (27) and CJ McCollum (22) with center Hassan Whitesite (21) for 89 points between the four starters.

The fifth game of Anthony's Blazers stint followed Monday's 117-94 win over the Bulls at United Center in Chicago, where he lifted the Blazers (7-12) with his game-high 25 points on 10-of-20 shooting and 4-for-7 clip from three-point range.

"This ain't a damn farewell tour," Anthony told Shams Charania of The Athletic. "My love for the game don't stop. I don't know where this 'farewell tour' thing came from. I've never talked about a farewell tour."

Through five starts with Anthony, the Blazers are 2-3 as the former Knicks star from 2011-17 averages 16.6 points on 45.3-percent shooting and a 37.5-percent mark on triples in 29.3 minutes per game.

"I know what I can do and I believe in myself," Anthony told Charania. "When a farewell tour comes, it comes. That's not something I think about. I'm not thinking about retiring right now. I had (thought about it) during this past stretch over the summer. But ain't no retiring in my mind. I believe in what I have left."

Kiyaman

Legend
Carmelo Anthony dropped 19 points on 9-of-11 shooting -- averaging out at 81.8 percent, the best single-game clip of his 17-year career -- as he helped the Portland Trail Blazers to Wednesday's 136-119 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Anthony's debut before the home crowd at Mora Center in Portland, Oregon, complemented the Blazers' 20-point trio of guards Damian Lillard (27) and CJ McCollum (22) with center Hassan Whitesite (21) for 89 points between the four starters.

The fifth game of Anthony's Blazers stint followed Monday's 117-94 win over the Bulls at United Center in Chicago, where he lifted the Blazers (7-12) with his game-high 25 points on 10-of-20 shooting and 4-for-7 clip from three-point range.

"This ain't a damn farewell tour," Anthony told Shams Charania of The Athletic. "My love for the game don't stop. I don't know where this 'farewell tour' thing came from. I've never talked about a farewell tour."

Through five starts with Anthony, the Blazers are 2-3 as the former Knicks star from 2011-17 averages 16.6 points on 45.3-percent shooting and a 37.5-percent mark on triples in 29.3 minutes per game.

"I know what I can do and I believe in myself," Anthony told Charania. "When a farewell tour comes, it comes. That's not something I think about. I'm not thinking about retiring right now. I had (thought about it) during this past stretch over the summer. But ain't no retiring in my mind. I believe in what I have left."

WOW! Melo Won Player of the week ....
The league on Monday named the Portland Trail Blazers forward its Western Conference Player of the Week. The Trail Blazers went 3-0, beating the Bulls twice as well as the Thunder. Anthony led those efforts, averaging 22.3 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists.

The last time Anthony was named a player of the week was March 10, 2014, while he was a member of the Knicks.

tiger0330

Legend
Mind boggling to me that Melo was not picked up sooner. I posted earlier in the thread that I thought he would be in the preseason. Glad he put in the work and stayed ready, would have been easy to not give it 150% like he had to not being in a structured NBA environment and gain weight eating fried chicken and waffles.

Nothing against Melo, but the Player of the Week award is clearly a dog and pony show. Just read an article on CBSSports and Harden and Doncic both had much, much better weeks than Melo.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mind boggling to me that Melo was not picked up sooner. I posted earlier in the thread that I thought he would be in the preseason. Glad he put in the work and stayed ready, would have been easy to not give it 150% like he had to not being in a structured NBA environment and gain weight eating fried chicken and waffles.

If the Knicks would've resigned DeAndre Jordan, and signed Taj Gibson & Morris .. I would have been happy to sign Melo, instead of Randle.
Watching Randle each game TRY to imitate Melo at the point-forward is a horrible watch. Melo has a decent handle, Randle has a clumsy handle that leads to consistent turn-overs that could drive a Knick fan crazy. Both are clueless and poor defenders, especially when it comes to defensive switching. Both are not CLOSERS because they dont know what to do when double or triple-team, unless its a 3 second catch n shoot play no dribbling.

mafra

Legend
? "Boston's a tough town, dawg. You have to have some major cojones to be there," Garnett said. "You got to want that. The people want it for you. That's why Paul (Pierce) is perfect for it. Paul wants the shot every time. Like, 'You're 0-for-14.' And he's like, 'I know, but they WANT it.'"

Garnett, who plays himself in the film as a customer of Sandler, who is a gambler and jeweler, also said he thought Irving and Kevin Durant should have signed with the Knicks.

"If they did the Nets, I thought they should have done the Knicks, if I'm being honest." Garnett said. "I'm not a Knick fan by far. But if they come to the city and dominate, man. ?The first superstar to hit New York and be vibing is going to be bigger than life. Remember I said that. Any piece of hope in this city is going to skyrocket. People are waiting."

New York missed out on Durant and Irving in free agency. The duo signed with the Nets, a development Garnett said he was 'very surprised' by. The Knicks are a disappointing 4-17 and have missed the playoffs for five straight seasons. New York has won just one playoff series since 2001.

Garnett was asked why it hasn't worked for New York.

"I don't know, man. I wish I knew so I could go up there and say, 'Hey look, I got the plan,'" Garnett said. "But pretty much anybody looking at Phil Jackson could say, 'S--t, I could've pretty much done what he did.'"

Garnett added that he wouldn't come to New York as a free agent without other stars in tow. He was part of one of the first Big 3s in Boston, along with Pierce and Ray Allen.

"You got to come with pieces. I don't think (the Knicks) put superstars around Melo," Garnett said. "Obviously, they had to pocketbook to be able to bring players here. But for some reason, they haven't put it together."

The directors of 'Uncut Gems' were also in New York for the interview on Tuesday. They said they originally considered ex-Knick Amar'e Stoudemire for the role. Later, they considered Sixers big man Joel Embiid.

Josh joked that in his initial meeting with Garnett, a known Knicks tormentor, he told the Hall of Famer that he hated him. There are references to ex-Knick Jeremy Lin and Knicks owner James Dolan in the film.

Knicks fans will probably appreciate this: the brothers jokingly said on Tuesday that they'd like to see a banner raised for New York's two wins over Kristaps Porzingis and the Dallas Mavs this season.

"We beat him twice. That's it," Josh said. "We'll hold on to anything we can get. RJ, Frank and Mitch. I love our young trio."

Sandler, who lived in New York until early in his childhood, is also a Knicks fan. He roots for the Jets and Yankees as well. He's passionate about all of those teams, but realistic when it comes to the Knicks.

"The Knicks, I don't get too upset anymore (when they lose), I just face facts," Sandler said. "I'm almost madder when they win. I'm like, 'How did that happen?'"

mafra

Legend
Harden scores 50... that?s the headline... not ?he missed 27 shots (4-20 from downtown).?

Of course, in highlights they show all 4 threes he swished...

Dude was 24-24 from FT line and headline reads ?his 50 point game spoiled by controversial charge call?.

Controversial? It was an obvious charge... and, a dude who routinely gets 15-25 FT shots a game shouldn?t be whining about a whistle, no?

????-

Rockets hopeful NBA acts after James Harden dunk not counted
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
10:29 PM PT
Tim MacMahon
ESPN Staff Writer
SAN ANTONIO -- The Houston Rockets are optimistic the NBA office will take action after the referees mistakenly did not count a James Harden dunk in Tuesday night's 135-133 double-overtime loss to the San Antonio Spurs, sources told ESPN.

The Rockets are hopeful the league office will either award the win to Houston due to the Rockets outscoring the Spurs in regulation or order that the final 7 minutes, 50 seconds be replayed at a later date, sources said.

Harden's breakaway dunk with 7:50 remaining would have given the Rockets a 103-89 lead. The ball whipped through the net and back over the rim before bouncing off, and the officiating crew mistakenly ruled that Harden missed the dunk and denied Houston coach Mike D'Antoni's attempt to challenge the call.

"When the play happened, Harden goes in for a dunk, and then the ball appears to us to pop back through the net," crew chief James Capers told a pool reporter. "When that happens, that is basket interference. To have a successful field goal, it must clear the net. We have since come in here and looked at the play. He dunked it so hard that the net carried it back over the rim a second time, so in fact it did clear the net and should have been a successful field goal.

"As to could the play have been reviewed, it is a reviewable matter, but you have a window of 30 seconds to challenge the play during that timeout that he had and while they were protesting the call, trying to get clarification of it, that window passed. So therefore, it elapsed, and they were not able to do it."

D'Antoni, who spoke to the media before the pool report was released, had a different account of the referees' explanation immediately after the play.

"I have no idea," D'Antoni said. "I heard that they said the ball hit James and went back through, so it was a goaltend on James. I challenged that, and I didn't get a response. Then another guy said it wasn't a goaltend; it went out of bounds on us. And I said, 'Well, I challenge that.' Can't do that. You know, I don't know, to answer your question. I've got nothing. I can't tell you."

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Harden scores 50... that’s the headline... not “he missed 27 shots (4-20 from downtown).”

Of course, in highlights they show all 4 threes he swished...

Dude was 24-24 from FT line and headline reads “his 50 point game spoiled by controversial charge call”.

Controversial? It was an obvious charge... and, a dude who routinely gets 15-25 FT shots a game shouldn’t be whining about a whistle, no?

————-

Rockets hopeful NBA acts after James Harden dunk not counted
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
10:29 PM PT
Tim MacMahon
ESPN Staff Writer
SAN ANTONIO -- The Houston Rockets are optimistic the NBA office will take action after the referees mistakenly did not count a James Harden dunk in Tuesday night's 135-133 double-overtime loss to the San Antonio Spurs, sources told ESPN.

The Rockets are hopeful the league office will either award the win to Houston due to the Rockets outscoring the Spurs in regulation or order that the final 7 minutes, 50 seconds be replayed at a later date, sources said.

Harden's breakaway dunk with 7:50 remaining would have given the Rockets a 103-89 lead. The ball whipped through the net and back over the rim before bouncing off, and the officiating crew mistakenly ruled that Harden missed the dunk and denied Houston coach Mike D'Antoni's attempt to challenge the call.

"When the play happened, Harden goes in for a dunk, and then the ball appears to us to pop back through the net," crew chief James Capers told a pool reporter. "When that happens, that is basket interference. To have a successful field goal, it must clear the net. We have since come in here and looked at the play. He dunked it so hard that the net carried it back over the rim a second time, so in fact it did clear the net and should have been a successful field goal.

"As to could the play have been reviewed, it is a reviewable matter, but you have a window of 30 seconds to challenge the play during that timeout that he had and while they were protesting the call, trying to get clarification of it, that window passed. So therefore, it elapsed, and they were not able to do it."

D'Antoni, who spoke to the media before the pool report was released, had a different account of the referees' explanation immediately after the play.

"I have no idea," D'Antoni said. "I heard that they said the ball hit James and went back through, so it was a goaltend on James. I challenged that, and I didn't get a response. Then another guy said it wasn't a goaltend; it went out of bounds on us. And I said, 'Well, I challenge that.' Can't do that. You know, I don't know, to answer your question. I've got nothing. I can't tell you."

The complaining about officiating never ends. In this case the Rockets are right but this is kind of ridiculous when you think about it

This sport is becoming unwatchable in many cases!

Teams getting blown out on a regular basis night-after-night. Teams scoring 130-150pts like it's nothing. The horrible officiating throughout the entire league. Teams like the Rockets who have a player who shoots a total of 50FGA at 30% FG but is regarded as the greatest offensive player EVER? Not to mention the violations he commits on several offensive possessions that are rarely called. Another player in the other Conference who violates in a similar fashion, yet is regarded as the league's MVP. I've never seen a player take 1 dribble from half court and score at the rim no jumper. Melo winning POTW was insane. This league goes out of it's way to be a mockery. A team like ours who are complete disaster in every aspect practically, in the largest market

It's just crazy man!

Jay Williams said on NBA Countdown last week said he'd never teach his kids to play like Harden, although loves him as a player. Charles Barkley last night said if he played with James Harden he'd demand a trade. If you look at the final play last night PJ Tucker was WIDE OPEN, I mean WIDE OPEN! I bet Lebron makes that pass

Listen both are fantastic players Greek and Harden but how obtuse are the standards these days? I personally feel Harden is a great talent but the ascetics are weird with him. How come he hasn't figured things out in the Playoffs? Why isn't his prowess just as great then?

It's a strange time being fans watching this game. Most nights fans feel they were cheated in one way or another. It's almost like you're being forced to accept what you know deep down in your heart isn't pure in how the game was meant to be played and governed

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Game was meant for grace and beauty.... passing and movement. Now, it?s like watching tennis... Mano y Mano. Star vs star. Everything is abrupt and stagnant.

Funny you mention moving violations, b/c on that controversial dunk he was allowed the Euro 3.5 steps.

And, yes, when a dude shoots 11-38.... he should be benched. 4-20 from downtown? Maybe he thought it was May?

Broadway

All Star
Game was meant for grace and beauty.... passing and movement. Now, it’s like watching tennis... Mano y Mano. Star vs star. Everything is abrupt and stagnant.

Funny you mention moving violations, b/c on that controversial dunk he was allowed the Euro 3.5 steps.

And, yes, when a dude shoots 11-38.... he should be benched. 4-20 from downtown? Maybe he thought it was May?

This is insane, The Rockets had a 15pt lead with 7:50min left and they want the league to award them a win or a playoff of the final 7:50? I'm sitting here cackling at this nonsense

Imagine if the league relented and said okay Rockets-Morey go ahead and play the final minutes of the 4th after bad call...this would be a precedent of all precedents to the point of no return. Teams across the league would hammer them every week. Of course no surprise Morey is one of the biggest public complainers along with Mark Cuban when it comes to officials and their respective teams

This is what the offseason is for when they meet as a competition committee. Instead of tweaking the game for this current style of Steph Curry slappy basketball(although appears it's trending away from it some this yr) meet together and lock in exclusively on officiating. I'm dead serious, put everything on the table and focus solely on how the game is officiated and nothing else for that summer. Air out all grievances and allow for some restitution if necessary and make league-wide adjustments access to the public

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Harden and Westbrook had so many opportunities to put that game away against the Spurs. The Beard might have scored 50 but he had an off night shooting, nights like he had Russ should shoulder the load but he hardly looks like the triple double machine of his OKC days, first he defers to Harden like everyone on that Rockets squad and his skills are diminishing esp his jumper and I've never seen him miss so many layups.

mafra

Legend
This is insane, The Rockets had a 15pt lead with 7:50min left and they want the league to award them a win or a playoff of the final 7:50? I'm sitting here cackling at this nonsense

Imagine if the league relented and said okay Rockets-Morey go ahead and play the final minutes of the 4th after bad call...this would be a precedent of all precedents to the point of no return. Teams across the league would hammer them every week. Of course no surprise Morey is one of the biggest public complainers along with Mark Cuban when it comes to officials and their respective teams

This is what the offseason is for when they meet as a competition committee. Instead of tweaking the game for this current style of Steph Curry slappy basketball(although appears it's trending away from it some this yr) meet together and lock in exclusively on officiating. I'm dead serious, put everything on the table and focus solely on how the game is officiated and nothing else for that summer. Air out all grievances and allow for some restitution if necessary and make league-wide adjustments access to the public

I thought the same thing watching the recap... you control what you control and they had plenty of chances.

I read that NYK is 7th or something in FT attempts. Crazy.

mafra

Legend
June 2, 1993

With the Knicks down 95-94 at home in Game 5 of the 1993 Eastern Conference Finals, Charles Smith miraculously missed 4 point blank layups to give the Bulls a surprising upset victory in Madison Square Garden for a 3-2 series lead. With around 10 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter, Patrick Ewing drove to the paint. He lost the ball and it went directly to Smith. Smith was not able to get a shot off on 4 attempts before the Bulls recovered the ball.

The Knicks never recovered after the disappointing home loss. After taking an initial 2-0 series lead, the Bulls won 4 straight games to head to their 3rd straight NBA Finals.

????-

Heck, why stop there.

They could?ve called a foul and sent Ewing to line, Smith arguably fouled 3 times.... MJ with nasty swipe at ball could?ve been a whistle, twice a potential foul from behind.

We should go back to game 5 1993 and replay that game and then entire 1994-1999 era.

mafra

Legend
The official is starring right at LJ.

NBA has to suspend him for ?missing? (ignoring, not noticing) the call.

mafra

Legend
Carmelo Anthony: After Rockets exit, told Chris Paul to 'just be careful'

Nick Friedell - ESPN Staff Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul have a lot of shared basketball history after almost two decades in the NBA, but one specific tie between the two former All-Stars has bound both proud men over the past year: their respective unceremonious divorces from the Houston Rockets.

Anthony, who was exiled by the Rockets after just 10 games last season and ultimately traded to the Chicago Bulls with cash in a separate transaction, struggled to find a job in the league this season before being picked up by the Portland Trail Blazers last month. He said he wasn't surprised by the way Paul's deal was handled and that he had in fact warned Paul.

"No, I wasn't surprised at all," Anthony told ESPN after his team's 108-96 loss to Paul and the Thunder on Sunday. "When my situation happened in Houston, he was the first person that I called to come to my room. And we had to clear some things up, and I wanted to know if he had anything to do with it. And that was the first thing that I wanted to know, and he told me, 'No.' And from that point on, I told him, looked him in his eyes and said, 'Look, just be careful.' You know what I mean? Just be careful. And damn sure if [the same situation] didn't happen to him."

Paul, who was traded to the Thunder last summer as part of a package that sent Russell Westbrook to the Rockets, recently told The Undefeated's Marc Spears that Rockets GM Daryl Morey told Paul he would not be moved, but then the player was dealt a few days later.

"I was shocked," Paul told The Undefeated. "Truth be told, I just talked to Daryl a couple days before the trade, and he said he wasn't going to trade me [to Oklahoma City]. That's funny because that is going to be the alert that pops up on everybody's phone because nobody knows that. But what the hell, I just said it."

Anthony said he has no ill will toward Morey or the Rockets, but he admitted that the sting of not being told why he was let go bothered him for a while.

"I haven't talked to nobody in their organization, no," Anthony said. "I'm not angry. I'm not bitter at it. It happens. I wish I had an explanation when it happened, but I'm past it."

When asked whether there's a feeling in the league that Morey and the Rockets might not be straight shooters after the situations with both him and Paul, Anthony took a broader approach with his response.

"Well, nobody has an answer, right?" he said. "My situation and Chris' situation is totally different, but nobody has an answer. Like, nobody really has an answer for my situation. Still. The only people that know is me. Me and them. That's it. And I don't even think they know. It's just something that was already established before I even got there. It was on a trial-run basis. You look back at it, and 10 games is an evaluation. So that's the business, right? You see New York have a press conference eight games in, 10 games. So that's the new analytics. That's the new game. Everything's based off of your first 10 games. And once you know that, it gives you clarity on a lot of things."

Both Anthony and Paul take a great deal of pride in what they've accomplished in the league and what they've accomplished in the famed "Banana Boat" foursome alongside Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James and recently retired Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade.

Anthony and Paul exchanged hugs before Sunday's game and are enjoying the fact that they get to face off at least a few more times in the league. But Anthony noted that after Paul was dealt from the Rockets, the veteran point guard didn't call to tell him that his prediction about how Paul's future in Houston might unfold had come true.

"No, he didn't say I was right," Anthony said. "He was in Vegas when all of that happened, so we was talking. And when I talked to him, he was like, 'Man, look, I understand it. It's messed up, but I understand it.' And for me, I'm like, 'Yo, it took me months to kind of, like, get past that.' My pride was hit. My ego was hit. I had to really get past that. To a point where it was like, 'Man, Chris, is you good?' I wanted to make sure he was good. So he told me he was good, and that was that."