Other NBA games and League

mafra

Legend
I drove by John Jay the other day and saw their football field and soccer field which sit side by side and are large and well maintained and I thought they spend a lot on their sports programs so I bet they're pretty successful. Checked and they have a very good sports program with success in soccer, lacrosse and football but no mention of a baseball team.

I think they had beaten us in football from like 1969-1990... then we beat them my first football game.

No baseball now but what about in 1991? It could?ve been Stepinak, Brewster, Fox Lane? I keep thinking JJ tho?

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy move for D?Antoni going from a HC to asst. and they got Udoka as well who interviewed for multiple HC spots. Nets have put together a top coaching staff, Nash is a great player development guy and has to learn the other aspects of coaching but he now has a staff that can support him with at least 3 guys that could be head coaches in the NBA.

Great Plan Brooklyn .. PG-Irving, SG-LeVert, SF-Durant, PF-Prince, C-D.Jordan ....
Four Stars go out to head-coach Nash decision-making in selecting assistant coaches!
Nash, will start-off his first NBA head-coaching season playing above .500 B.ball, by having his ex-HC Dantoni on the bench with him as the Brooklyn Nets assistant-coach.
Wow! Nash are doing the same-thing as his old Phoenix Suns G.M Steve Kerr did when he turn to coaching to become the head-coach of the GS Warriors, plus bringing HC Alvin Gentry a long to become the assistant coach.

How well will HC Thibs coaching staff turn out ???

tiger0330

Legend
Our former coach Hornacek will be an asst with the Houston Rockets. I wonder if Fizdale gets another shot somewhere, I would think he might find a spot in Miami esp since they made it to the Finals.

pat

Starter
How well will HC Thibs coaching staff turn out ???

I don't think that it's important. His defensive strategy is yelling "ICE!" at the sideline. Offensively it boils down to playing his starters 40+ minutes until they fall apart. No need for competent assistants for that.

tiger0330

Legend
Morey going to say something about his resignation tomorrow but the situation was similar to Doc and Balmer, Morey was the GM for 13 years and never won that championship. Their new owner and Morey coming to an agreement that it was time for a change, I said they were a team in flux despite their 2 MVP stars, don't see how they're going to surround The Beard and Russ with talent without cap space and no picks. My bet is JH and/or Russ ask to be traded and we see a rebuild in Houston.
Looks like Russ wants out of Houston seeing a rocky road to a championship and having to play second banana to JH.

Rockets All-Star Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston, sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania. Westbrook, who has three years and $123 million remaining on his deal, has expressed the sentiment to Houston officials, sources said. Westbrook has informed team officials that he has been uneasy about the team's accountability and culture, and wants to join a team where he can have a role similar to his prior, floor-general role in Oklahoma City. The Rockets are fully intending to continue building a title-contender around James Harden, and rival team officials tell The Athletic that the franchise has so far been protective of both Harden and Westbrook in trade discussions.

mafra

Legend
The good news on the RW front, if you are hoping for a Trade, is the fact NYK are 1 of a few teams that can absorb his contract. HOU doesn?t have many options....

SAS suggests that BKLN deal Dimwiidy, Lavert and other stuff for Harden.

The good news on the RW front, if you are hoping for a Trade, is the fact NYK are 1 of a few teams that can absorb his contract. HOU doesn?t have many options....

SAS suggests that BKLN deal Dimwiidy, Lavert and other stuff for Harden.

I would laugh my butt off at Durant, Kyrie, and Westbrook on the same roster. The second things go wrong, that team would explode. Also, if they got rid of Kyrie?s buddy Dinwiddie? Hilarious.

mafra

Legend
It sounds like NYK are exploring their options. What else is new.

HOU doesn?t have much choice, for only a few teams can absorb the RW contract. But, would it be smarter to use that money on FVF and another free agent, or using cap space to swallow a bad contract while getting assets, or simply stand pat and wait until next offseason?

tiger0330

Legend
It sounds like NYK are exploring their options. What else is new.

HOU doesn’t have much choice, for only a few teams can absorb the RW contract. But, would it be smarter to use that money on FVF and another free agent, or using cap space to swallow a bad contract while getting assets, or simply stand pat and wait until next offseason?

FVF is a pipe dream, he's an UFA but the Raps have his bird rights and can match any offer. I guess they have to try but why would the guy leave when he can be a go to guy on a winner like the Raps instead if the go to guy on a rebuilding team like the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
I don?t want FVF, bc he?s not a near-max player. But Freddy just went on record stating he wants to get paid. I think TOR will have a line they won?t be willing to cross, and I imagine some team will overpay for his services, and TOR will be forced to let him walk.

Then again, TOR can?t attract free agents, so maybe they go all in? But, if they couldn?t beat BOS with this roster, it would be foolish to waste all your cap space on just maintaining the status quo.

When speaking recently on JJ Redick?s podcast ?The Old Man and the Three,? VanVleet asserted that he?s ready to cash in.

?I?m trying to get paid, man,? he said. ?I?m not shy about that. I don?t have to tell people that I value winning. Like, just look at my story, do your research, I?ve never been on a losing team in my entire life. ? I won a championship and now it?s time to cash out. I?m 26. ? I?m only four years in (to his NBA career) but I feel like I?m on the verge of blossoming even more, with more of a lead role.?

More of a lead role? I wonder what he means?

mafra

Legend
It?s beginning to look like NYK the only option for HOU. If Rose is smart, and he truly wants RW, then he better not be giving up assets to get him. He should be the one getting assets.

Now, if they want Frank or Knox and are willing to send us picks... go for it. Or, if they want a DAL future 1st... fine.

The marketplace for a possible Russell Westbrook trade is "slow developing," according to sources of Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

It's not exactly surprising that teams aren't clamoring to nab a 31-year-old point guard who has had multiple knee surgeries and is due roughly $132.7 million over the next three seasons. There's no denying that Westbrook stuffs the stat sheet, but he's also quite confident jacking up objectively bad shots and he doesn't seem to have many issues with constantly throwing the ball out of bounds. So far, only the Hornets and Knicks have been mentioned as potential suitors, but Charlotte GM Mitch Kupchak played down those rumors during today's presser, saying he didn't think it would be "wise" to trade for a star player given where the franchise is at.

tiger0330

Legend
Gasol and Ibaka both come off the books this season, I think they have plenty of wiggle room to overpay FVF if they have to but I agree he won't be seen as a max type of guy ala JH, Lebron, AD. We will see but I see TOR matching any offer.

Kiyaman

Legend
Looks like Russ wants out of Houston seeing a rocky road to a championship and having to play second banana to JH.

Rockets All-Star Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston, sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania. Westbrook, who has three years and $123 million remaining on his deal, has expressed the sentiment to Houston officials, sources said. Westbrook has informed team officials that he has been uneasy about the team's accountability and culture, and wants to join a team where he can have a role similar to his prior, floor-general role in Oklahoma City. The Rockets are fully intending to continue building a title-contender around James Harden, and rival team officials tell The Athletic that the franchise has so far been protective of both Harden and Westbrook in trade discussions.

The Houston Rockets "Go-Small" management decision were a playoff joke, especially after the Lakers added Lebron & AD, plus Cousin & McGee to their roster. The Rockets first round win vs OKC went all 7 games. They actually deserve to get beat in 5 games vs the Lakers in the 2nd round.
Chris Paul, and now Westbrook wanting out of the Rockets organization says the Rockets management decision-making needs to clean house.

My mismanagement Knicks WISH they could get a HOF Chris Paul or HOF Russel Westbrook strong career leadership at guiding and improving the young-core players performance.
Chris Paul & Westbrook all-around skills has help develop a lot of young NBA players on their teams roster throughout their career.
The only decent veteran PG the Knicks could afford to trade for are PG-Dennis Schroder $15M contract.
The Knicks will be lucky if they could get FA PG-Van Fleet or FA PG-Rondo to come to NY for a Knicks interview. SMH

The Knicks are in desperate need of a play-maker PG to tandem alongside combo-guard Frank in a lineup throughout next season.
The Knicks also need to tandem center MitchRob alongside PF-Gibson in a lineup throughout next season, plus they need to sign FA-Jerami Grant, or Marcus Morris who can play both forward position.

The Knicks best bet are to package Randle, JR Barrett, and a first rounder in a trade to get a consistent scoring player for next season.

tiger0330

Legend
The Houston Rockets "Go-Small" management decision were a playoff joke, especially after the Lakers added Lebron & AD, plus Cousin & McGee to their roster. The Rockets first round win vs OKC went all 7 games. They actually deserve to get beat in 5 games vs the Lakers in the 2nd round.
Chris Paul, and now Westbrook wanting out of the Rockets organization says the Rockets management decision-making needs to clean house.

My mismanagement Knicks WISH they could get a HOF Chris Paul or HOF Russel Westbrook strong career leadership at guiding and improving the young-core players performance.
Chris Paul & Westbrook all-around skills has help develop a lot of young NBA players on their teams roster throughout their career.
The only decent veteran PG the Knicks could afford to trade for are PG-Dennis Schroder $15M contract.
The Knicks will be lucky if they could get FA PG-Van Fleet or FA PG-Rondo to come to NY for a Knicks interview. SMH

The Knicks are in desperate need of a play-maker PG to tandem alongside combo-guard Frank in a lineup throughout next season.
The Knicks also need to tandem center MitchRob alongside PF-Gibson in a lineup throughout next season, plus they need to sign FA-Jerami Grant, or Marcus Morris who can play both forward position.

The Knicks best bet are to package Randle, JR Barrett, and a first rounder in a trade to get a consistent scoring player for next season.
I said I thought Rondo would be good for the Knicks if you wanted leadership and b-ball IQ for a whole lot less than you would have to pay CP3. Rumor is he’s going to sign with the Clips and we haven’t heard his name in the Knicks rumor mill, I think Mark Jackson called him the smartest player in the NBA during the finals so why aren’t the Knicks interested smh?

mafra

Legend
Boston is reportedly looking to move up in the draft in order to select Auburn wing Isaac Okoro according to Heavy.com's Sean Deveney.
The Celtics currently have three first-round picks (14th, 26th and 30th), and due to the team's situation regarding guaranteed contracts for next season it has been rumored that Danny Ainge is looking to make a deal. The Okoro rumor comes just a couple days after it was reported that Boston was looking to package those picks in order to move up, with the goal being to acquire Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday. Given how limited teams have been when it comes to evaluating draft prospects, and the fact that this class doesn't have any clear-cut stars, Wednesday night should be pretty wild.

mafra

Legend
According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the Lakers and Thunder have agreed in principle to a trade that sends Dennis Schroder to Los Angeles in exchange for Danny Green and the 28th overall pick in this week's draft.

tiger0330

Legend
Green was good in TOR, not as good with the Lakers. Good trade for both teams but I give the edge to the Lakers filling a need at PG with both Bradley and Rondo reportedly leaving in FA.

tiger0330

Legend
Morey going to say something about his resignation tomorrow but the situation was similar to Doc and Balmer, Morey was the GM for 13 years and never won that championship. Their new owner and Morey coming to an agreement that it was time for a change, I said they were a team in flux despite their 2 MVP stars, don't see how they're going to surround The Beard and Russ with talent without cap space and no picks. My bet is JH and/or Russ ask to be traded and we see a rebuild in Houston.

Now Harden reportedly looking for a way out of Houston with the Nets as his destination of choice after talking with Kevin Durant. Talks with teams on trading Russ have reportedly been slow also but with so much turmoil surrounding the franchise the Rox will be forced to trade one of their stars to start their rebuild sooner rather than later.

tiger0330

Legend
I feel like Lakers fleeced OKC with that deal
Advanced analytics give the nod to Danny Green as the better player but Schroeder is younger and fills the Laker need at a critical position. Saw an analysis of the trade that was critical of the Lakers saying they didn't get the best value for Green and OKC would eventually trade Green for other picks, players that would net them a better deal than Schroeder.