Other NBA games and League

Halliburton definitely better than Obi so far, but Obi not getting same opportunity. There was a play where he set a screen to clear 2 defenders so that Quickley could sink a 3. In time, Obi is going to develop a rapport with our guards where he can then get the ball back on some of those screens and he definitely knows how to finish at the rim.

Obi only got 13 minutes last night, but he had 5 points, 3 boards, an assist, and a block. He is going to be more active in every facet of the game than I was expecting.

The more I watch him, the more I realize Obi and Randle are very different players. We could definitely play MRob, Randle, Obi, RJ, and Quickley together, but I doubt that is a priority for Thibs at the moment. Obviously, that lineup will get shredded defensively by some teams, but in other matchups it could work to stretch the floor while still having a lot of rebounding on the court.

Thibs getting criticized for his starting lineup choices, but announcers last night saying how once the game started, Thibs really outcoached Cleveland with rotations. I have faith Thibs will get Obi where he needs to get.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I think he?s bringing him along slowly, and perhaps the injury set him behind in Thibbs?s rotation.

The last few games he?s hitting 50% of his shots, and getting a few rebounds. We know he can pass, so hopefully he?s working on his decision making, bc it doesn?t look Helter Skelter for him right now.

We have to trust in this development crew and his willingness to be coached. Nothing would excite me more than to be totally wrong on this kid.

mafra

Legend
Imagine NYK make playoffs and cause a ripple in the first round and still get a top 3 pick... thanks to DAL!

"Right now it's looking like we don't care, honestly, if we win games or not," said Luka Doncic after the Mavs' fourth straight loss on Friday night.
Dallas has lost seven of its last 10 games, nine of which Kristaps Porzingis has been on the court for. They were without some key rotation players such as Josh Richardson and Jalen Brunson during most of that stretch. But with those guys back, the Mavs need to get it together especially on defense as they continue to surrender nearly 111 points per game, according to Team Rankings.

Dallas loses again, this time to Phoenix playing without Devin Booker, and fall to 8 - 12. Porzingis not playing again because he was resting on a back to back.

KP in year 2 of a 5 year 158 million dollar deal. That sound you just heard is the bullet that the Knicks dodged.

Mavs have arguably the best player in the league and they?re struggling.

Dallas going to need to find a way to move KP?s contract and surround Doncic with a winning roster or I bet Doncic considers testing free agency in 2 years.

mafra

Legend
If Randle makes All-Star team and Mavs hands NY a top 10 pick... well, Knicks will boast winning the trade.

mafra

Legend
Michael Kay said today that Luka and KP aren?t getting along. 2 ?alphas?... KP enjoys the celebrity of being in NBA more than he cares about winning...

He added: NYK cleared cap space but couldn?t get KD. They did sign like 6 guys (5 PF). The last guy they signed was Marcus Morris. Hey flipped him for a first, which was used on IQ.

So, now add Quickly as part of the return NYK got for KP... and, imagine if we get a lottery pick from DAL and KP demands a trade. Lol.

mafra

Legend
JJ Redick?s saga with the New Orleans Pelicans continues, and according to reports, the New York Knicks have emerged as another preferred destination for the sharp-shooting veteran. Redick already appears to have one foot outside the door at this point, with a move away from New Orleans already on the horizon.

tiger0330

Legend
Halliburton definitely better than Obi so far, but Obi not getting same opportunity. There was a play where he set a screen to clear 2 defenders so that Quickley could sink a 3. In time, Obi is going to develop a rapport with our guards where he can then get the ball back on some of those screens and he definitely knows how to finish at the rim.

Obi only got 13 minutes last night, but he had 5 points, 3 boards, an assist, and a block. He is going to be more active in every facet of the game than I was expecting.

The more I watch him, the more I realize Obi and Randle are very different players. We could definitely play MRob, Randle, Obi, RJ, and Quickley together, but I doubt that is a priority for Thibs at the moment. Obviously, that lineup will get shredded defensively by some teams, but in other matchups it could work to stretch the floor while still having a lot of rebounding on the court.

Thibs getting criticized for his starting lineup choices, but announcers last night saying how once the game started, Thibs really outcoached Cleveland with rotations. I have faith Thibs will get Obi where he needs to get.

Haliburton the topped rank rookie according to this with Obi coming in 25th so far and IQ ranked 4th behind Lamelo and Xavier Tilman.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-rookie-rankings

mafra

Legend
Halliburton with a 21-3-4-2 line tonight, with just 1 turnover.... 5-9 from downtown. He had this one incredible play at the end of the third quarter. Pure hustle play. Heild fired a 3 as time expires, but missed badly.... Halliburton, crashing glass, caught ball off rim and laid it back up as time expired.

He played 30 minutes and SAC beats BOS 116-111. He probably would be stuck behind EP and IQ with us... but, again, man Inwould be so pumped about a IQ-Halliburton-RJ frontcourt for the next 10 years.

Obi might be something, but he?s clearly another project. Not as NBA ready as they told us, as evident by Thibbs recent remarks on his game right now.

Now, Halliburton... that?s a plug-in and play dude.

Last edited:
Mavericks lose by 31 and are now 9 - 14. I expect Cuban to make some major move, somehow. Not sure how he will do it, but no way is he going to let us get a lottery pick out of that trade.

mafra

Legend
Also, for the ?RJ will never be a Zion or Ja player? guy: Ja has been blah since returning from injury.

mafra

Legend
Halliburton was money this afternoon. I watched the game, and SAC beat DEN for the third time this season!

The rookie posted a narly 23-4-6-2 line, on just 12 shots. He was 4-7 from downtown. All 4 makes went swoosh. Didn?t even nik the rim.

Halliburton was money this afternoon. I watched the game, and SAC beat DEN for the third time this season!

The rookie posted a narly 23-4-6-2 line, on just 12 shots. He was 4-7 from downtown. All 4 makes went swoosh. Didn?t even nik the rim.

Yeah. My original criticism of him was that he played like a role player. Now, not even halfway through the year, he stepped it up further and is routinely scoring 20+ per game. He is emerging head and shoulders above the rest of this rookie class.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like Toppin is going to sit 7-10 days, then be re-evaluated. Ankle issue. Just a disaster for the 8th pick....

mafra

Legend
I see he?s playing today? What the heck is Ian Bagley saying? He ain?t out?

I think Toppin will be much improved next season... he?ll work and put himself into a position to contribute.

If he was given Knox-like rookie minutes, who knows... right? Tough to get involved playing 8 minutes.

Mavs lost so now we?re both sitting at 13 - 15. Kind of funny since they?re supposed to be in championship contention and we?re supposed to be doomed forever.

Charlotte also lost giving us the tie for the 6th seed.

tiger0330

Legend
Mavs lost so now we’re both sitting at 13 - 15. Kind of funny since they’re supposed to be in championship contention and we’re supposed to be doomed forever.

Charlotte also lost giving us the tie for the 6th seed.
There isn't a dominant team in the EC, though I'm expecting the Nets to start pulling away when KD is back and their big 3 to continue gelling. Nash has Harden running the show at PG and KI as the SG, good move both are great passers but KI is the better shooter so if Harden can accept his role as the playmaker and forget about scoring titles it'll help the Nets.

Said DRose was going to help win a few games for us but he may solidify that bench enough to get us a 4 seed in the playoffs. I liked that combo that Thibs rolled out of DRose, IQ, RJ, JR and Noel late in the ATL game. Maybe not the best defensive lineup you could roll out but they had a positive net rating while out there.

mafra

Legend
Nets don?t play any defense tho. Going to be tough for them to outscore everybody, although they have the weapons to do so