Tony Wroten?

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Shocked that we are giving him a 3 year deal but I definitely wanted to look at him, don't think he's a future all star but I like his style of play, we need, in my opinion, guys that can penetrate and cause havoc

tiger0330

Legend
Three year deal, wtf?? He's been out of the league for a couple of months now and nobody signed him so why are they giving him a 3 year deal? He's one guy I think Rambis will give playing time to but they're just starting a WC road trip where they're not going to practice much so why sign him now when he's not going to help much this year if at all.

Scratching my head on this one.

tiger0330

Legend
Wroten may not even play this year according to this. He's coming off ACL surgery so this report about the Knicks wanting him to rehab his knee and play him in practice, summer league and next season makes more sense.

DENVER — The Knicks are planning to bring on former 76ers point guard Tony Wroten as an audition for at least the remainder of the season, even if he would see minimal if any playing time.

Though the Knicks are negotiating a two-year deal at the NBA minimum, there’s no assurance he’ll be on the roster next season as they determine if he’ll be a good point guard fit in their triangle offense. The second year is not expected to be guaranteed, making him a very low risk. And according to a source, Wroten, who’s coming off a partially torn ACL from last season, is no guarantee to see any game action as the club wants him to strengthen the leg.

The plan is to develop Wroten, who turns 23 in April and was released by the Sixers in January, and perhaps bring him to the summer league. Wroten didn’t make the trip to Denver and is not expected to join the Knicks on their five-game road trip this week.

The Knicks had been hesitant about giving him a 10-day contract prior, feeling he wouldn’t make the rotation as they strove to make a playoff push.

But now the philosophy is more on development. If Wroten gets acclimated in time, that could mean the Knicks go away from using Jose Calderon next season if he’s still on the roster. He has one year left on his contract but could be waived in a stretch provision after the year.

Knicks interim coach Kurt Rambis said last week the club was looking into younger players for the 15th roster spot — someone they could nurture with an eye toward next season.

According to sources, the Knicks consider Wroten a good defender who is active in the passing lanes. However, Wroten, who played at Washington, was mired in a horrible situation in Philly, where he was their leading scorer last season at 16.9 points per game in 30 contests. He has played in 145 games in parts of four seasons, starting his career in Memphis.

mafra

Legend
Maybe they think this guy is Klay Thompson bc next to our guards he appears to be an emerging all-star. Lol. If he plays defense... I'm all for it.

We're gonna use stretch provision on Calderon(if nobody takes him off our hands)... Affalo may opt out... Not sure what value Langston has (at best he is a 6th man, but since his offense is putrid, then he really is just a guy to keep end of bench warm (11-15 roster type).

We may just have Grant and Wroten on this team next Sept

tiger0330

Legend
Klay Thompson he's not with that 23% 3pt shooting pct. Calderon is still probably a better PG than Wroten, guys are calling him Rotten on the bball blogs already.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wroten may not even play this year according to this. He's coming off ACL surgery so this report about the Knicks wanting him to rehab his knee and play him in practice, summer league and next season makes more sense.

Tiger is right, Wroten is coming off a ACL injury which made teams sceptical bout signing walking FA.
It looks like the 22 yr old Wroten will be Phils replacement for the 2017 draft pick.
Wroten is a combo-guard, very quick & gets to basket regularly.
This summer he will have to work on his poor shootin, n turnover .. i dont think the 3 years are guaranteed
Now we have 3 young combo-guards in Grant, Gallo, n Wroten

rady

Administrator
Staff member
So we allow Fredette just 5 minutes of garbage time on a 10 day contract because there are other guys on the team who deserve to play but then we sign a guard coming off a torn ACL that has been waived by the worst team in the league to a three year deal? I'm trying to put some sense into this..

paris401

Starter
So we allow Fredette just 5 minutes of garbage time on a 10 day contract because there are other guys on the team who deserve to play but then we sign a guard coming off a torn ACL that has been waived by the worst team in the league to a three year deal? I'm trying to put some sense into this..

the zen-master had a dream....

mafra

Legend
Maybe we are kicking ourselves for not overpaying to bring Shaun Livingston here a few years ago... IDK, what can you do but LOL on this one. Sad reality is he probably still is our best G right now.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I like him, he is good, but is going to need time to resemble what he was before the injuries. He has missed a lot of games. Knicks should be patient with him.

paris401

Starter
I like him, he is good, but is going to need time to resemble what he was before the injuries. He has missed a lot of games. Knicks should be patient with him.

how good can he be??? as rady says... he was waived by the worse team in the league...