Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Los Angeles Lakers 9:30pm 3/13/2016

mafra

Legend
"But more important is the fact the Knicks? star player and Jackson are communicating again. They?ve had a distant relationship recently; Anthony related after the trade deadline they hadn?t talked in a while. But Jackson seems willing to be around the team more on the road now that his buddy Kurt Rambis is running the show. He has made the entire trip that continues Wednesday in Oakland, Calif., against the Warriors."

The one major plus, if NYK hire Kurt Rambis to coach next year, is it basically means JAX is coaching this team. Phil wants to be the lead voice for this team...
He wanted a Robyn who could handle the day to day stuff... Long with the nightly grind, while he sat back and served as some Yoda.

Fisher stiff-armed his would-be mentor and distanced himself.
We all know that to maximize what PJ brings to the table, you need him to coach.

If he won't coach, then let him
Be a defector HC, who masquerades as an exec.

Then again... Maybe Dolan said I am paying you 20 mil, and now I am paying DF not to coach, so get down there (ala what happened with IT) and lead your team. Ergo, The Rambis puppet

tiger0330

Legend
"But more important is the fact the Knicks’ star player and Jackson are communicating again. They’ve had a distant relationship recently; Anthony related after the trade deadline they hadn’t talked in a while. But Jackson seems willing to be around the team more on the road now that his buddy Kurt Rambis is running the show. He has made the entire trip that continues Wednesday in Oakland, Calif., against the Warriors."

The one major plus, if NYK hire Kurt Rambis to coach next year, is it basically means JAX is coaching this team. Phil wants to be the lead voice for this team...
He wanted a Robyn who could handle the day to day stuff... Long with the nightly grind, while he sat back and served as some Yoda.

Fisher stiff-armed his would-be mentor and distanced himself.
We all know that to maximize what PJ brings to the table, you need him to coach.

If he won't coach, then let him
Be a defector HC, who masquerades as an exec.

Then again... Maybe Dolan said I am paying you 20 mil, and now I am paying DF not to coach, so get down there (ala what happened with IT) and lead your team. Ergo, The Rambis puppet
Most ridiculous rumor I've heard is that PJ is going to coach home games and Rambis the road games. Plain silly the idea of PJ being a home game coach but I sure would like to see him become the full time coach of the team.

It sure would cement his legacy if he managed to get this team to the playoffs next year. Why not, he's got Steve Mills in place to run the front office, Rambis as an able ass't on the bench, he'd be hiring one of the best coaches available and wouldn't have to make a difficult decision on the new HC if he took the job and would have continuity with the offensive and defensive schemes and coaching staff.

mafra

Legend
Most ridiculous rumor I've heard is that PJ is going to coach home games and Rambis the road games. Plain silly the idea of PJ being a home game coach but I sure would like to see him become the full time coach of the team.

It sure would cement his legacy if he managed to get this team to the playoffs next year. Why not, he's got Steve Mills in place to run the front office, Rambis as an able ass't on the bench, he'd be hiring one of the best coaches available and wouldn't have to make a difficult decision on the new HC if he took the job and would have continuity with the offensive and defensive schemes and coaching staff.

That's not ridiculous. Rambis and JAX have the relationship to do this sort of thing; plus it'll be probably the only chance Dolan and NYK fans allow for Phil to name his buddy -- Kurt -- as the HC of the NYK. Having one of the greatest HC of all time on the bench for 41 games couldn't be a bad thing. The in-game knowledge i=he could impart might be the difference in 4 or 5 games or 10 games even. Why not?

Perhaps Phil needs to do this to prove to 'Melo and other free agents: HEY.... KD... DeRozan... COME TO NYK. I AM IN THIS FOR THE LONG RUN.

This would be the only scenario I could stomach if Thibs isn't offered the job.

tiger0330

Legend
That's not ridiculous. Rambis and JAX have the relationship to do this sort of thing; plus it'll be probably the only chance Dolan and NYK fans allow for Phil to name his buddy -- Kurt -- as the HC of the NYK. Having one of the greatest HC of all time on the bench for 41 games couldn't be a bad thing. The in-game knowledge i=he could impart might be the difference in 4 or 5 games or 10 games even. Why not?

Perhaps Phil needs to do this to prove to 'Melo and other free agents: HEY.... KD... DeRozan... COME TO NYK. I AM IN THIS FOR THE LONG RUN.

This would be the only scenario I could stomach if Thibs isn't offered the job.
Mafra you really believe platooning the head coaching job could really happen? I'd rather see PJ in a wheel chair roaming the sidelines as the first handicapped head coach then see a platoon system for the job. ;)

Broadway

All Star
Mafra you really believe platooning the head coaching job could really happen? I'd rather see PJ in a wheel chair roaming the sidelines as the first handicapped head coach then see a platoon system for the job. ;)

It's an asinine rumor that has no shot of coming to reality

mafra

Legend
It's possible for 2 reasons:

1) Phil wants Rambis to be the HC and feels if they platoon for 1 season, then it makes it easier for fan base to swallow.

2) Dolan demands it.

Most likely, this is Phil working the media hoping to get into potential free agent heads... Who knows, maybe somebody floated it out there that they might come here if PJ was in the bench.

Or, maybe Phil just has that competitive itch.

knicksin60

Starter
Don't understand why it has to be Rambis platooning with Phil rather than someone like Luke Walton, aside from Dolan perhaps not wanting to dish out another multi-million dollar contract to another unproven guy.

Kurt Rambis couldn't coach a blind man to get through a crowded sidewalk. Don't even know how he got the position of an assistant coach. He makes Derek Fisher look like Tex Winter.

I have to call BS on this rumor.In my opinion, I believe that Phil Jackson has a better chance of running the Lakers in a couple of years than he has at ever coaching another NBA game.

mafra

Legend
"ah, nah, nah. I don't think that should be accepted. I wouldn't accept that if that was the case," Carmelo Anthony said of the home-game-only coaching gig for Jackson, according to Frank Isola (March 15).

Broadway

All Star
You know it's absurd when Melo is trying to be a voice of reason on how ridiculous of an idea this is

They recently had a meeting of the minds. If this really had any legs Melo would have hinted at this without question if he had good vibes about it.

Listen folks don't believe everything the media writes. Always remember to tell yourself "they have a job to do and their job is to sell stories to create buzz get public hits" (to incite, to muse).

They don't care if it makes sense or not

mafra

Legend
Believing and talking about the possibility of something are two entirely different entities. This is what we do on message boards (when we follow a team perennially out of the playoff picture by Feb).

Now... If we're buying stocks or investing out hard-warned cash in something... Well, then we only act on what we believe or forecast to be true.

tiger0330

Legend
Some ESPN reporter decided to recycle something PJ suggested to the Lakers but Buss turned down. Not even the old standby "an unnamed team official" was quoted as the source of this stupid rumor, in fact Rambis said PJ probably won't coach again and had never mentioned to him that he would. I think ESPN's Ramona Shelburne was the one that started this rumor, she's more entertainer than journalist.

Broadway

All Star
Some ESPN reporter decided to recycle something PJ suggested to the Lakers but Buss turned down. Not even the old standby "an unnamed team official" was quoted as the source of this stupid rumor, in fact Rambis said PJ probably won't coach again and had never mentioned to him that he would. I think ESPN's Ramona Shelburne was the one that started this rumor, she's more entertainer than journalist.

It's funny you say this as I had a very brief conversation with a major media pundit from New York on Twitter in my DM. He actually reached out to me first with a response and I essentially quoted the very end of your last post in replay back to him.

BINGO!

It was her and if you read more of the Tea Leaves her angle quickly shifted from Phil/New York to Phil/LA in the same article. Once again two teams going nowhere at the moment desperate for ink to be written and discussed. I bet her source was Jeannie Buss you know Phil's bae and she simply ran with make believe scenarios.