Celebrity coach Mike D'amntoni might be back again...

knicksin60

Starter
...but thankfully not with the Knicks!

MD2008112912.jpg

It appears like the Rockets have joined the list of teams that are allured by him and have made him a top candidate to impose his innovative and revolutionary SSOL offense.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Mike-D-Antoni-emerges-as-front-runner-for-7648456.php

tiger0330

Legend
...but thankfully not with the Knicks!

MD2008112912.jpg

It appears like the Rockets have joined the list of teams that are allured by him and have made him a top candidate to impose his innovative and revolutionary SSOL offense.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Mike-D-Antoni-emerges-as-front-runner-for-7648456.php
No way the Rockets hire him. Their problem was they could not hold anybody under 100 pts, I give D'Antoni credit for introducing the SSOL to the league which led to this 3 ball happy league but he's not the guy to fix Houston's problems. Van Gundy is the guy they need to hire.

knicksin60

Starter
No way the Rockets hire him. Their problem was they could not hold anybody under 100 pts, I give D'Antoni credit for introducing the SSOL to the league which led to this 3 ball happy league but he's not the guy to fix Houston's problems. Van Gundy is the guy they need to hire.

With the options available to them I doubt that the Rockets will put themselves in a position in which they will continue to fail. All that Morey and the Rockets' front office needs to do is look at D'antoni's track record with a prime Steve Nash and his track record without a prime Nash. The only way I see D'antoni getting hired is if he gets these guys drunk and convinces them that he could turn James Harden into the 2005-07 Nash.

tiger0330

Legend
With the options available to them I doubt that the Rockets will put themselves in a position in which they will continue to fail. All that Morey and the Rockets' front office needs to do is look at D'antoni's track record with a prime Steve Nash and his track record without a prime Nash. The only way I see D'antoni getting hired is if he gets these guys drunk and convinces them that he could turn James Harden into the 2005-07 Nash.
Looks like I was wrong knicksin60. Seems D'Antoni is the leading candidate to get the Rox HC job, they like the offense he runs and they'll address the defensive issues by hiring an ass't that specializes in D.

knicksin60

Starter
Looks like I was wrong knicksin60. Seems D'Antoni is the leading candidate to get the Rox HC job, they like the offense he runs and they'll address the defensive issues by hiring an ass't that specializes in D.

Ironically he got the job while others that are more qualified than him to coach are still in limbo.

tiger0330

Legend
Ironically he got the job while others that are more qualified than him to coach are still in limbo.
Unbelievably Houston interviewed the most candidates, everyone from Kenny Smith to David Blatt and hired MD. Read their GM was against the hire but the owner wanted him.

Maybe Houston figures with D'Antoni at the helm they can at least make Harden league MVP by putting up ridiculous offensive stats in D'Antoni's offense. I guess you could argue if the problem with your team's defense is the players and not the coach, hiring a defensive minded coach would not solve anything and that the only option is to try and score even more points.

Regardless, I feel like Houston signing D'Antoni continues to show how nebulous the head coach hiring process is in the NBA. Thibs to Minny. Luke Walton to the Lakers. Vogel to Orlando. Hornacek to the Knicks. Blatt to no one so far. Hard to predict any of this, outside of maybe Walton to the Lakers.