Jeff Hornacek Hired to be Knicks' New Head Coach

News just broke that Jeff Hornacek has been hired to be the Knicks' new head coach. Literally just read this within the last minute. Details to follow.

Ian BegleyESPN Staff Writer

The Knicks will hire Jeff Hornacek as their next head coach, a league source confirmed to ESPN. First reported by Bleacher Report.

Broadway

All Star
News just broke that Jeff Hornacek has been hired to be the Knicks' new head coach. Literally just read this within the last minute. Details to follow.

Ian BegleyESPN Staff Writer

The Knicks will hire Jeff Hornacek as their next head coach, a league source confirmed to ESPN. First reported by Bleacher Report.

Just saw this...this is going to be kind of interesting. Can't see a real silver lining besides him getting Phx off to a get start initially then flaming out. I guess at least he's not Rambis(although his hire is a package)

Last edited:
Just saw this...this is going to be kind of interesting. Can't see a real silver lining besides him getting Phx off to a get start initially then flaming out

he didnt flame out at all

they completely overhauled the entire team. he had dragic playing into the contract he currently has only for him to demand a trade because they had too many point guards.

eric bledsoe injured
brandon knight injured

they sign chandler past his prime

that suns team had no business winning 48 games that year and then they literally dismantled that entire squad the next two years.

Broadway

All Star
he didnt flame out at all

they completely overhauled the entire team. he had dragic playing into the contract he currently has only for him to demand a trade because they had too many point guards.

eric bledsoe injured
brandon knight injured

they sign chandler past his prime

that suns team had no business winning 48 games that year and then they literally dismantled that entire squad the next two years.

Naaaaaahhhh man he flamed out, he did have some injuries to deal with but that's not a legit excuse. Bulls injuries, Hornets injuries, Heat injuries and lots of overhauling still were successful. Suns back-to-back lotto that's flaming out after winning 48gms.

Last edited:
I have so many questions. Does hiring Hornacek mean we are changing our offensive philosophy? Does hiring Hornacek mean we chose him over Vogel and Blatt or does it mean neither Vogel nor Blatt wanted to come here? Did Melo push for PJ to hire someone, anyone, other than Rambis for the head coaching job and this was the best available compromise? Is this even a PJ hire or is this a sign that PJ has lost his autonomy for decision making for this franchise?

Probably never going to know the answers to some of those questions, at least not in the immediate future.

mafra

Legend
After losing out on Thibs, I was fine with either Vogel, Hornachek, or Blatt. All 3 were solid albeit somewhat flawed candidates. I was even fine with Rambis, if it meant PJax was more involved with Xs & Os.

Jeff should've received a Nobel Prize for having that PHO team in playoff contention in the WC...

Blaming JH for the mounting Ls would be akin to saying Thibs could never get his team over the playoff hump and take his potent regular season to an NBA Finals (unlike Stan "the man" Van Gundy).

Mike Woodsen did a decent job.... Other than that, most NYK HCs since JVG have been rotten.

Nothing matters if we don't improve our G play. Jeff is a system coach... Not a triangle guy per se, but is a believer in unity and fluidity and movement... Not ISO and P&R...

tiger0330

Legend
He must have blown the socks off of Phil with his interview because he's had no connection with Phil in the past.

I'm going to guess he's going to run some sort of motion offense but not a strict triangle offense though he probably had answers to Phil's questions about integrating the triangle into his offensive philosophy. He's more known as a players coach who is more offensive oriented than a defensive coach but his teams can play defense.

I think Hornacek won't run a strict triangle offense because I think PJ would have more respect for a coach that demanded to run his own system. But let's see what happens to Rambis, if he becomes the lead asst, maybe PJ and him agreed Rambis would run the offense and teach him the triangle.

Broadway

All Star
After losing out on Thibs, I was fine with either Vogel, Hornachek, or Blatt. All 3 were solid albeit somewhat flawed candidates. I was even fine with Rambis, if it meant PJax was more involved with Xs & Os.

Jeff should've received a Nobel Prize for having that PHO team in playoff contention in the WC...

Blaming JH for the mounting Ls would be akin to saying Thibs could never get his team over the playoff hump and take his potent regular season to an NBA Finals (unlike Stan "the man" Van Gundy).

Mike Woodsen did a decent job.... Other than that, most NYK HCs since JVG have been rotten.

Nothing matters if we don't improve our G play. Jeff is a system coach... Not a triangle guy per se, but is a believer in unity and fluidity and movement... Not ISO and P&R...

So in other words it didn't really matter who we interviewed or who we hired you were going to support it. Okay

But back to Phx they started sputtering back half of season his second yr right before the trade deadline. He at one point had Dragic/Bledsoe/Thomas(name a better trio collection of individual guards than these 3) but fans were wondering what the heck they were doing with all those guards. So they traded Thomas along with Dragic got back Knight and all of sudden they did too much roster tinkering? Every move they made during his tenure honestly was about a wash. He didn't even play Booker until all the guards were injured. Earl Watson basically developed Booker.

As if we have the talent now on our squad as they had then...competing in an ever improving Eastern Conference. It's not so much Phx record either vs what kind of player development imprint/foundation did he leave there? Like what was Phx known for his whole time there? So what do we hang our hat on with Hornacek? He was a heckuva player though and I'm sure he knows the game, but still.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
So in other words it didn't really matter who we interviewed or who we hired you were going to support it. Okay

But back to Phx they started sputtering back half of season his second yr right before the trade deadline. He at one point had Dragic/Bledsoe/Thomas(name a better trio collection of individual guards than these 3) but fans were wondering what the heck they were doing with all those guards. So they traded Thomas along with Dragic got back Knight and all of sudden they did too much roster tinkering? Every move they made during his tenure honestly was about a wash. He didn't even play Booker until all the guards were injured. Earl Watson basically developed Booker.

As if we have the talent now on our squad as they had then...competing in an ever improving Eastern Conference. It's not so much Phx record either vs what kind of player development imprint/foundation did he leave there? Like what was Phx known for his whole time there? So what do we hang our hat on with Hornacek? He was a heckuva player though and I'm sure he knows the game but still.

Hornachek had no control over roster moves... PHO front office starting tinkering and ruined the chemistry JH built.

Sure, I'm cool with whatever coaching hire b/c all the options were equally bland. And since the decision doesn't put cash in my bank account, how does it serve me to get rankled?

PHO probably had a better roster than ours, b/c their strength were guards... But the West a couple seasons ago much better than EC this season.

I probably preferred Thibs, Blatt, Vogel all before JH... But this is the NBA and you need players... Especially guards... So getting worked up one way or another over the HC is foolish. Blatt is ten times better coach than Lui but look at CLE now.

Kiyaman

Legend
I have so many questions. Does hiring Hornacek mean we are changing our offensive philosophy? Does hiring Hornacek mean we chose him over Vogel and Blatt or does it mean neither Vogel nor Blatt wanted to come here? Did Melo push for PJ to hire someone, anyone, other than Rambis for the head coaching job and this was the best available compromise? Is this even a PJ hire or is this a sign that PJ has lost his autonomy for decision making for this franchise?

Probably never going to know the answers to some of those questions, at least not in the immediate future.

I would rather Jeff Hornacek over Rambis every day of the week.
Will Hornacek force Phil to trade Calderon in offseason?

Broadway

All Star
Hornachek had no control over roster moves... PHO front office starting tinkering and ruined the chemistry JH built.

Sure, I'm cool with whatever coaching hire b/c all the options were equally bland. And since the decision doesn't put cash in my bank account, how does it serve me to get rankled?

PHO probably had a better roster than ours, b/c their strength were guards... But the West a couple seasons ago much better than EC this season.

I probably preferred Thibs, Blatt, Vogel all before JH... But this is the NBA and you need players... Especially guards... So getting worked up one way or another over the HC is foolish. Blatt is ten times better coach than Lui but look at CLE now.

If Hornacek was that guy we would have clamored for him back at the very beginning of February when he was fired. He was really on no one's radar, let's stop the dog and pony show here. Phil only recently contacted him like a week or two ago. Matter of fact seems like he got connected with him after he interviewed with Sacramento, like "oh yeah I forgot you're available too."

He's probably a good dude, has knowledge of the game but there is a lot involved in being a head coach especially with a team "WHO'LL PROBABLY HAVE AS MUCH ROSTER TURNOVER SIMILAR TO PHX" not to mention learning and implementing the triangle to Phil's satisfaction...not sure about this sell mafra. Everything is not meant to be sold.

Kiyaman

Legend

The Knicks front-office been controlling our rotation for decades .. Thas why Pat Riley quit on us back in the daze
Being a Knick fan u have to worry about .. will Hornacek do the $20M for two year service too

tiger0330

Legend
Can't wait for the presser. That's the first question that's going to be asked "What happens to the triangle offense"?

People that wanted to dump it may have hope yet because no one thought PJ would hire someone not in the triangle Mafia.

mafra

Legend
If Hornacek was that guy we would have clamored for him back at the very beginning of February when he was fired. He was really on no one's radar, let's stop the dog and pony show here. Phil only recently contacted him like a week or two ago. Matter of fact seems like he got connected with him after he interviewed with Sacramento, like "oh yeah I forgot you're available too."

He's probably a good dude, has knowledge of the game but there is a lot involved in being a head coach especially with a team "WHO'LL PROBABLY HAVE AS MUCH ROSTER TURNOVER SIMILAR TO PHX" not to mention learning and implementing the triangle to Phil's satisfaction...not sure about this sell mafra. Everything is not meant to be sold.

Not sure what you're inferring with the generic cliche (dog and pony show)... Nobody is throwing a parade bc a major coup just occurred. Howard Beck was fine with the decision.

If we hire Rambis, PJax is accused of being narrow-minded and only plucking fruit from his own tree... Just last week or so, NYK getting killed for not looking outside comfort zone... As many said we were rubber stamping the Rambis hire.

Now we go outside the box, and we blast the decision bc he wasn't on anybody's radar? I could care less about what's on another's radar.

To me, Vogel, Blatt, Rambis, Shaw, JH, Ewing, MJax, even Walton... All were just meh hires. So, either way... Big whoppie doo... Ergo, I was fine either way.

I wanted Thibs but I'm not going to get all emotional over these things.

Either we get talent (and guards) or we start planning on our lottery pick next year.

Broadway

All Star
Not sure what you're inferring with the generic cliche (dog and pony show)... Nobody is throwing a parade bc a major coup just occurred. Howard Beck was fine with the decision.

If we hire Rambis, PJax is accused of being narrow-minded and only plucking fruit from his own tree... Just last week or so, NYK getting killed for not looking outside comfort zone... As many said we were rubber stamping the Rambis hire.

Now we go outside the box, and we blast the decision bc he wasn't on anybody's radar? I could care less about what's on another's radar.

To me, Vogel, Blatt, Rambis, Shaw, JH, Ewing, MJax, even Walton... All were just meh hires. So, either way... Big whoppie doo... Ergo, I was fine either way.

Either we get talent (and guards) or we start planning on our lottery pick next year.

I would be okay with the hire if Phil wasn't here and we were a younger team. Blatt kind of made sense of who we interviewed but I like you was hoping for Thibs then Vogel once he became available. Just seems like Hornacek wasn't a primary choice. I think we didn't get Vogel because he knows Memphis and Orlando are calling, currently both better situations.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

I wouldnt knock Hornacek potential as a headcoach .. Hornacek showed winning experience as a player on the Phoenix Suns, 76ers, and then becoming Utah Jazz coach Sloan's triangle-player alongside Stocton/Malone to go to the FINALS.
Plus Hornacek put together a 10 man rotation to take Phoenix Suns to a 50 win season to make the playoff
What the suns management did after that in the trade-business was suicidal to a team

mafra

Legend
I would be okay with the hire if Phil wasn't here and we were a younger team. Blatt kind of made sense of who we interviewed but I like you was hoping for Thibs then Vogel once he became available. Just seems like Hornacek wasn't a primary choice. I think we didn't get Vogel because he knows Memphis and Orlando are calling, currently both better situations.

It's certainly going to be interesting if this is another Kerr situation, where we had to settle for choice #2. Did Vogel or Blatt use NYK to get more from their first pick? Like ORL... And we waited until Phil realized we weren't their first choice... So he settled?

I highly doubt we fell so much in love with JH that we ran towards him. Makes more sense we wanted Vogel or Blatt but they didn't want us.

Personally, I'm just biding time to see what this team looks like come Aug... No more excuses for Melo & PJ now. If they can't reel in a big fish or 2 very shiny fishes... Then they failed to attract... And then if PJ fails to move Melo for a few building blocks then he truly failed.

I have little faith.

Kiyaman

Legend

All the coaches name on the list .. does not have the makings to be the headcoach of the Knicks
They wont last above two-season as a Knick head-coach .. I was going to take Vogel name off the 2 yr list until Larry Bird hired a forgotten Nate McMillian a week after firing Vogel

The more the league keep firing all the winning head-coaches the league will keep getting weaker each season
Listening to JVG & Mark Jackson announce the ECF Cavs n Raptors game-1 from a coaching theory is all good .. both should be coaching a team.

tiger0330

Legend
Best article from the NY Post I've seen about the possible Hornacek hiring.

In a Phil Jackson stunner, the Knicks were zeroing in on former Suns coach Jeff Hornacek as their coach. A Hornacek hiring would end a bizarre search going on five weeks Thursday and could put an end to the triangle era, according to an NBA source.

Jackson didn?t interview Hornacek until Monday. But those two were joined by general manager Steve Mills for dinner Wednesday night at a back table at Nino?s Tuscany Steakhouse in Midtown, diners confirmed. A source said the club didn?t reach out to his reps until at least two weeks into the search process.
The NBA source said there is ?mutual interest,? but stated the framework of a contract had yet to be discussed, disputing a report Wednesday negotiations were virtually complete. It is headed that way, though Steve Kerr had a verbal agreement with the Knicks that fell through.

Interim coach Kurt Rambis was a teammate of Hornacek?s with the 1990-91 Phoenix Suns.
Sources have said Rambis would stay on board because of his triangle experience, but a source indicated it still is to be determined whether the triangle offense definitely will be used and if Rambis will remain or move to the front office. If the triangle returns, Rambis has all summer to tutor Hornacek in an offense many NBA cognoscenti consider outdated.

Five weeks ago, Jackson was dead set on continuing the triangle that won him 11 rings as coach, saying owner James Dolan brought him to the Garden for that purpose. But there has been a sudden, unexplained turn. Hornacek had no experience running the system in Phoenix, preferring a fast-paced attack.

After all the criticism the triangle has received, Jackson, during his Montana getaway, may have caved and instead chosen a coach with whom he will be ? as he put it five weeks ago ? ?simpatico.? Jackson always respected Hornacek as a player.

According to a source, Jackson has known Hornacek for 20 years, has found him easy to get along with as the two have enjoyed a strong rapport. Hornacek is also son of a coach ? something Jackson likes.

On SiriusXM radio, former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy said, ?The things I?ve heard is that he?s not going to be required to run the triangle. Which is smart from the standpoint that he?s never taught it before. So you don?t want to come in trying something that you?ve never played in or taught. But I think it?s an inspired choice.?

There will be speculation owner James Dolan wasn?t gung-ho about keeping Rambis as head coach ? an unpopular pick with fans. Sources have indicated Dolan let Jackson make the decision, but the Zen Master may have wanted to please his boss and top two players ? Carmelo Anthony, who had reservations about Rambis, and Kristaps Porzingis.
Anthony lobbied for the Knicks to interview a broad range of candidates, and a source said Porzingis was confused early on by how Rambis used him.

As many of Jackson?s friends echoed, ?You want to explain Phil Jackson? You can?t.?

In the mid-1990s Jackson attempted to trade for Hornacek and make him a member of the Chicago Bulls. Now Hornacek will likely soon be a Knick.

In his first head-coaching job after being a Jazz assistant, the 53-year-old Hornacek posted a 101-112 mark in Phoenix. He was fired this past season after a 14-35 start amid major injuries. With a point-guard heavy roster, Hornacek recorded a solid 48-34 ledger as a rookie head coach, finishing runner-up in the Coach of the Year voting. But the Suns fell to 39-43 in 2014-15.

When Jackson fired coach Derek Fisher in February, he had hoped Rambis could earn the job permanently, but he made ominous remarks five weeks ago about the club ?coming apart.?? Jackson was looking for what he called ?a transformational leader? ? which is a coach whose strength is team-building over task-building. Rambis seemed to fall short in the former category.

As a player, Hornacek was on the floor for the Jazz against Jackson?s Bulls for two NBA Finals, which the Zen Master?s team won. Hornacek was a longtime Jazz sharpshooter under coach Jerry Sloan.

Jackson also interviewed Frank Vogel, who reportedly is close to signing with Orlando. David Blatt, a friend of Mills, also met with Jackson. Jackson had interviewed preferred choice Luke Walton, but Walton chose the Lakers after that job opened. There is an opt-out in Jackson?s contract after the season, and he could return to the Lakers, whose front office could be headed for a shake-up.

Well, if nothing else, we got ourselves a former Phoenix Suns coach who favors an uptempo offense, 3-point shooting, and not much defense. Last time we did that we became a playoff team 3 seasons later.

Last edited: