2016 NBA Free Agency Thread

He was solid for us, I don't get the hate he gets. He got pissed for getting benched for Sasha, can you blame him?

He was everything he was paid to be. 13pts 4rebs for a player making 8 million was resonable.

I'd pay him 18 million over 2 years for those same numbers.

That's the problem with Afflalo. His stats make him look like he actually impacted games, when he rarely did. You'd forget he was on the court most of the time. He is actually known for doing the majority of his scoring in a single quarter. The announcers discussed it a few times. He finds a quarter to take a bunch of shots and then hangs back the rest of the game.

Afflalo isn't a bad player, but he is a guy you start at SG on a bad team. We have to try to do better than him for this coming season.

tiger0330

Legend
Would rather get Courtney Lee than AA. Just as good a shooter and a better defender.
I was wondering what they expected the market would pay a 3 and D guy like Lee this off-season. He's coming off a 4yr/21M deal and is expected to get a new deal worth 12-14M this off-season.

AA is coming off 2yr/16M deal could he looking at a 16M yr contract?

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Durant won't come to NYC for the reasons most modern players don't want to come to NY:

The Media Scrutiny
The WX
The Taxes
The Inconvienence Factor
(Play games in Manhattan, practice in Westchester County)

With all things equal, those aforementioned factors weigh heavily on the minds of these guys.

Durant is meeting with teams in The Hamptons(first round of interviews) yet he didn't schedule a meeting with Knicks? The savagery here. There are reports the other 3 teams after Warriors/Spurs don't really have a shot at his services(dark horses) but he obliged.

mafra

Legend
Durant is meeting with teams in The Hamptons(first round of interviews) yet he didn't schedule a meeting with Knicks? The savagery here. There are reports the other 3 teams after Warriors/Spurs don't really have a shot at his services(dark horses) but he obliged.

I think it's like Melo said... The Knicks have basically had a week-long meeting with KD. Durant has been hanging around with Melo all week - practicing in the gym, hanging out with kids, doing their USA thing, going out to eat. Obviously, the two are discussing what life would be like in NY with the Knicks.

He's probably meeting with those other teams just to do his homework. His camp pretty much already knows where he should go.

who knows really? Will we get an official sit down? With Phil & Allen and all? Did he ever want to come to Ny? Did getting Rose put us in play for KD? Will his relationship with Melo help? Is the media pressure too much? Is he planning on staying in OKC no matter what, and trying to screw with GSW (if he holds out his decision and that means PHi steals Barnes and the centers all sign elsewhere)...

These answers will come shortly... Above my pay grade.

tiger0330

Legend
One big difference between this year and last year is PJ had Monroe in mind as his top FA target and was camped out at his door step when FA started. This year there doesn't seem to be a consensus top FA that I've heard of. Anyone want to wager a guess at the first FA signing the Knicks make this year.

Broadway

All Star
One big difference between this year and last year is PJ had Monroe in mind as his top FA target and was camped out at his door step when FA started. This year there doesn't seem to be a consensus top FA that I've heard of. Anyone want to wager a guess at the first FA signing the Knicks make this year.

It's gonna be Noah and he's gonna get paid unless we get trumped somehow.

New New York

Quiet Storm
It's gonna be Noah and he's gonna get paid unless we get trumped somehow.

That's my hope. I'm hoping to get him for 15 million, Noah at 15 million is way better value than RoLo was.

in today's market Noah is worth 17-19 million per, but coming off an injury it would be highly risky for anyone to pay him that.

Plus read a report stating he's more concerned with starting, winning and somewhere he can continue building his charity than a big pay day...that could also mean he's realistic about what teams could offer coming off a 20 game season

We do meet his needs nonetheless

1.ability to start..check!!!

2.winning...we honestly can't garuntee that, but I gotta believe his success with Rose in the past gives him confidence in the tandem moving forward...while teammates they only missed the playoffs once!!!

3.his charity was founded off if his experiences in NYC, gotta believe bringing it to NYC makes it all the more special

Intangibles:
One of the few current NBA players Phil follows on Twitter!

He lobbied hard for Melo to join he and D Rose two years ago, gotta believe the desire to play with them is still there.

As stated above, from NYC.

mafra

Legend
Rose is recruiting Noah... Max deals now nearing 30 mil... So 17-20 mil deals now what 8-12 mil deals once were.

As long as it's not more than 3 years AND we still have confidence we can land 2 guards we want/need, along with being able to bring back 3/4 of our own (Lt, DW, LG, KS)...

Rose
Crawford
Melo
KP
Noah

Courtney Lee, Langston Galloway, Lance Thomas, Kevin Seraphim, KOQ, Derrick Williams, Early...

Does this get us to an ECF battle vs CLE?

mafra

Legend
Joakim Noah is expected to sign with the Knicks once free agency begins, Bryan Flaherty of the Washington Post reports.

Noah will make roughly $18 million per year with the Knicks, according to Flaherty.

Marc Stein of ESPN reported late Wednesday that multiple interested teams viewed the Knicks as the favorites for Noah.

Noah, 31, averaged 4.3 points and 8.8 rebounds in 29 games for the Bulls this past season before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in January.

During his nine-year career, he has averaged 9.3 points and 9.4 rebounds per game.

mafra

Legend
Maybe Durant is smart... Signs 2 yr deal with NY, opt out after 1st... Take 18 mil... Lol

If he plans on doing that with OKC... Well, wouldn't he have a better shot with Rose, Noah, KP, and Melo than with Westbrook and Adams?

mafra

Legend
Tony Wroten - G - Grizzlies
The Knicks reportedly waived Tony Wroten last week for disciplinary reasons.
It's unclear what exactly Wroten did to be jettisoned by the Knicks, but a few days later he was claimed off waivers by the Grizzlies. New York has no depth at point guard behind Derrick Rose, and even if they retain Langston Galloway they're likely to add another backup PG in free agency.
Related: Knicks
Source: New York Daily News Jun 29 - 9:02 PM

I'm excited that Noah, who was still one of the better big men in the league just 2 years ago and is only 31 years old, is likely to sign with us. But now we are likely to have 2 starters, Noah and Rose, who we are hoping will return to form. Add in that we don't have a legitimate starting SG yet and that our bench is largely empty, I think it's premature to predict what we can do next season.

A starting lineup of Noah, Melo, Porzingis, Rose, and say Galloway, could still easily miss the playoffs next season, especially with a suspect 2nd unit. Some additional signings like Jamal Crawford or the like may help, but this roster is still a long ways from being a contender until we see what kind of returns we are getting from these guys.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm excited that Noah, who was still one of the better big men in the league just 2 years ago and is only 31 years old, is likely to sign with us. But now we are likely to have 2 starters, Noah and Rose, who we are hoping will return to form. Add in that we don't have a legitimate starting SG yet and that our bench is largely empty, I think it's premature to predict what we can do next season.

A starting lineup of Noah, Melo, Porzingis, Rose, and say Galloway, could still easily miss the playoffs next season, especially with a suspect 2nd unit. Some additional signings like Jamal Crawford or the like may help, but this roster is still a long ways from being a contender until we see what kind of returns we are getting from these guys.
Completely agree, Noah isn't even a Knick yet. If reports are correct and he takes 18M of that 30M in cap space that leaves about 12M left to pick up a legit SG and a bench. Not optimistic PJ can even bring back LT, KS, Gallo and DWill with 12M let alone sign a quality SG. We may have to renounce DWill to get another 5M in cap space, probably a long shot anyway that we could re-sign him.

tiger0330

Legend
Tony Wroten - G - Grizzlies
The Knicks reportedly waived Tony Wroten last week for disciplinary reasons.
It's unclear what exactly Wroten did to be jettisoned by the Knicks, but a few days later he was claimed off waivers by the Grizzlies. New York has no depth at point guard behind Derrick Rose, and even if they retain Langston Galloway they're likely to add another backup PG in free agency.
Related: Knicks
Source: New York Daily News Jun 29 - 9:02 PM
Pretty strange since this is the off season when there aren't many rules to be broken. I'll be pissed if he does well in Summer League and he makes that Grizz squad. Knicks don't have the luxury of letting a capable player go.

Kiyaman

Legend
Predicting where (and for how much) NBA's top 50 free agents will sign ...
Tom Ziller - SB Nation - Thursday, June 30, 2016

1. Kevin Durant: The finances of the 1+1 in Oklahoma City just make too much sense. Two years, $58.5 million with the Thunder with a player option on Year 2.
2. LeBron James: Likewise. Two years, $68.3 million for LeBron in Cleveland. He can keep signing these at escalating rates for a decade after what he pulled off.
3. Andre Drummond (restricted): I think the Pistons will absolutely keep Drummond, but I think something interesting is going to happen here, like four years, $108 million with a player option after Year 3.
4. Mike Conley: Five years, $125 million to re-up with the Grizzlies.
5. Al Horford: Four years, $120 million with the Boston Celtics. Go for broke. Here's your star, in a way.
6. DeMar DeRozan: Five years, $161 million to stay with Toronto, announced early on July 1. A gobsmacker of a deal.
7. Dwyane Wade: Two years, $50 million with Miami.
8. Hassan Whiteside: Four years, $80 million with the Los Angeles Lakers. Godspeed to you.
9. Dwight Howard: Three years, $75 million with the Wizards. Team option after Year 2.
10. Dirk Nowitzki: Three years, $36 million with Dallas. Player option after Year 2.
11. Nicolas Batum: Five years, $120 million in Charlotte. I can't even process these numbers, really.
12. Tim Duncan: Picked up his player option because he hates paperwork that much.
13. Bradley Beal (restricted): Four years, $98 million with the Wizards, with a player option after Year 3. You could kind of call this a compromise deal? I mean, a compromise deal that pays Bradley Beal up to $98 million ...
14. Harrison Barnes (restricted): He stays in Golden State at five years for $81,999,999, or $1 less than Draymond Green's deal. Then he hits a bunch of big playoffs shots next year.
15. Chandler Parsons: Four years, $94 million in Orlando. Not quite max, but holy smokes man.
16. Kent Bazemore: Four years, $84 million in Phoenix.
17. Bismack Biyombo: Four years, $66 million in Toronto.
18. Pau Gasol: Two years, $18 million in Golden State, player option on Year 2.
19. Marvin Williams: Four years, $55 million in New Orleans.
20. Festus Ezeli (restricted): The Warriors match a 3-year, $42 million offer sheet signed with the Mavericks, then trade Andrew Bogut.
21. Joakim Noah: 2 years, $30 million (team option on Year 2) with the Knicks.
22. Jordan Clarkson (restricted): Oh boy. Four years, $65 million with the Lakers.
23. Evan Fournier (restricted): Four years, $75 million with the Magic.
24. Dion Waiters (restricted): Three years, $39 million with the Brooklyn Nets.
25. Eric Gordon: Three years, $45 million with the New York Knicks. Team option after Year 2.
26. Ryan Anderson: Four years, $80 million with the Sacramento Kings. Welcome home, Ryno.
27. Evan Turner: Three years, $45 million with the Pelicans.
28. Allen Crabbe (restricted): Three years, $18 million with those damn Blazers.
29. Shaun Livingston (partial guarantee): The Warriors fully guarantee his contract.
30. Jeremy Lin: It is with considerable glee that I write: four years, $76 million with the Mavericks.
32. Luol Deng: Two years, $14 million with the Clippers. Player option after Year 1.
33. J.R. Smith: Three years, $30 million with Cleveland. Team option after Year 2.
34. Rajon Rondo: Sigh. Two years, $37 million in Sacramento.
35. Arron Afflalo: I have literally no read on Afflalo's future. So uh ... three years, $27 million with the Sixers?
36. Amir Johnson (fully unguaranteed): Boston waives Johnson to sign Horford. The Hawks sign Johnson to a two-year, $24 million deal.
37. Tyler Johnson (restricted): Three years, $15 million with Miami.
38. Matthew Dellavedova (restricted): Four years, $48 million with the Rockets. Cleveland declines to match.
39. Boban Marjanovic (restricted): The Spurs withdraw their qualifying offer and sign Boban to a 1-year, $6 million deal.
40. Robert Covington (fully unguaranteed): The Sixers guarantee Covington's contract.
41. Ian Mahinmi: Two years, $24 million with Indiana.
42. Brandon Jennings: Two years, $28 million with Philadelphia. You have your point guard!
43. Joe Johnson: One year, $5 million in Miami.
44. Deron Williams: One year, $10 million in Chicago.
45. Al Jefferson: Two years, $16 million in Dallas.
46. Jamal Crawford: Memphis! Two years, $24 million.
47. Josh Richardson (fully unguaranteed): Miami will guarantee the hell out of this.
48. Jared Sullinger (restricted): Three years, $30 million in Charlotte.
49. Ersan Ilyasova (partial guarantee): The Thunder will waive him to save the money. He'll end up with the Blazers for $5 million.
50. Jared Dudley: Two years, $18 million with the Warriors. (Can the Warriors afford all this? Where there's a will, there's a way.)

My deepest apologies to the Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets, Timberwolves and any other team I left out of the derby. These teams are built through the draft and lack obvious holes that can be filled reasonably with this free agent class. Trust me, y'all: when you see the numbers flying around, you'll be glad your team is sitting the top 50 free agent party out.

mafra

Legend
Knicks make QO to Langston...

Word is deal with NOAH contigent in KD... Biyambo the backup target (mozgov & mihimi too).

NYK will talk with batum at midnight... Have interest in Crawford, courtney lee, and Eric Gordon.

tiger0330

Legend
Predicting where (and for how much) NBA's top 50 free agents will sign ...
Tom Ziller - SB Nation - Thursday, June 30, 2016

1. Kevin Durant: The finances of the 1+1 in Oklahoma City just make too much sense. Two years, $58.5 million with the Thunder with a player option on Year 2.
2. LeBron James: Likewise. Two years, $68.3 million for LeBron in Cleveland. He can keep signing these at escalating rates for a decade after what he pulled off.
3. Andre Drummond (restricted): I think the Pistons will absolutely keep Drummond, but I think something interesting is going to happen here, like four years, $108 million with a player option after Year 3.
4. Mike Conley: Five years, $125 million to re-up with the Grizzlies.
5. Al Horford: Four years, $120 million with the Boston Celtics. Go for broke. Here's your star, in a way.
6. DeMar DeRozan: Five years, $161 million to stay with Toronto, announced early on July 1. A gobsmacker of a deal.
7. Dwyane Wade: Two years, $50 million with Miami.
8. Hassan Whiteside: Four years, $80 million with the Los Angeles Lakers. Godspeed to you.
9. Dwight Howard: Three years, $75 million with the Wizards. Team option after Year 2.
10. Dirk Nowitzki: Three years, $36 million with Dallas. Player option after Year 2.
11. Nicolas Batum: Five years, $120 million in Charlotte. I can't even process these numbers, really.
12. Tim Duncan: Picked up his player option because he hates paperwork that much.
13. Bradley Beal (restricted): Four years, $98 million with the Wizards, with a player option after Year 3. You could kind of call this a compromise deal? I mean, a compromise deal that pays Bradley Beal up to $98 million ...
14. Harrison Barnes (restricted): He stays in Golden State at five years for $81,999,999, or $1 less than Draymond Green's deal. Then he hits a bunch of big playoffs shots next year.
15. Chandler Parsons: Four years, $94 million in Orlando. Not quite max, but holy smokes man.
16. Kent Bazemore: Four years, $84 million in Phoenix.
17. Bismack Biyombo: Four years, $66 million in Toronto.
18. Pau Gasol: Two years, $18 million in Golden State, player option on Year 2.
19. Marvin Williams: Four years, $55 million in New Orleans.
20. Festus Ezeli (restricted): The Warriors match a 3-year, $42 million offer sheet signed with the Mavericks, then trade Andrew Bogut.
21. Joakim Noah: 2 years, $30 million (team option on Year 2) with the Knicks.
22. Jordan Clarkson (restricted): Oh boy. Four years, $65 million with the Lakers.
23. Evan Fournier (restricted): Four years, $75 million with the Magic.
24. Dion Waiters (restricted): Three years, $39 million with the Brooklyn Nets.
25. Eric Gordon: Three years, $45 million with the New York Knicks. Team option after Year 2.
26. Ryan Anderson: Four years, $80 million with the Sacramento Kings. Welcome home, Ryno.
27. Evan Turner: Three years, $45 million with the Pelicans.
28. Allen Crabbe (restricted): Three years, $18 million with those damn Blazers.
29. Shaun Livingston (partial guarantee): The Warriors fully guarantee his contract.
30. Jeremy Lin: It is with considerable glee that I write: four years, $76 million with the Mavericks.
32. Luol Deng: Two years, $14 million with the Clippers. Player option after Year 1.
33. J.R. Smith: Three years, $30 million with Cleveland. Team option after Year 2.
34. Rajon Rondo: Sigh. Two years, $37 million in Sacramento.
35. Arron Afflalo: I have literally no read on Afflalo's future. So uh ... three years, $27 million with the Sixers?
36. Amir Johnson (fully unguaranteed): Boston waives Johnson to sign Horford. The Hawks sign Johnson to a two-year, $24 million deal.
37. Tyler Johnson (restricted): Three years, $15 million with Miami.
38. Matthew Dellavedova (restricted): Four years, $48 million with the Rockets. Cleveland declines to match.
39. Boban Marjanovic (restricted): The Spurs withdraw their qualifying offer and sign Boban to a 1-year, $6 million deal.
40. Robert Covington (fully unguaranteed): The Sixers guarantee Covington's contract.
41. Ian Mahinmi: Two years, $24 million with Indiana.
42. Brandon Jennings: Two years, $28 million with Philadelphia. You have your point guard!
43. Joe Johnson: One year, $5 million in Miami.
44. Deron Williams: One year, $10 million in Chicago.
45. Al Jefferson: Two years, $16 million in Dallas.
46. Jamal Crawford: Memphis! Two years, $24 million.
47. Josh Richardson (fully unguaranteed): Miami will guarantee the hell out of this.
48. Jared Sullinger (restricted): Three years, $30 million in Charlotte.
49. Ersan Ilyasova (partial guarantee): The Thunder will waive him to save the money. He'll end up with the Blazers for $5 million.
50. Jared Dudley: Two years, $18 million with the Warriors. (Can the Warriors afford all this? Where there's a will, there's a way.)

My deepest apologies to the Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets, Timberwolves and any other team I left out of the derby. These teams are built through the draft and lack obvious holes that can be filled reasonably with this free agent class. Trust me, y'all: when you see the numbers flying around, you'll be glad your team is sitting the top 50 free agent party out.
WTF, JLin 4yrs/76M making more the Deron Williams 1yr/10M. What happened to our DWill who is not mentioned, lets hope no one picks him up and he returns next season. Lot of 20M contracts on this guys list.

mafra

Legend
Everyone needs to remember... Cap is jumping from 70 to 90 million... For instance... ROLO at 13 mil, when cap is 70 mil, is the same % of cap allocation as Noah this year, with 18 mil.... when cap is at 94 million.

In other words, all these contracts are going to be insane... The smart GMs will avoid committing 4-6 years.