2016 NBA Free Agency Thread

New New York

Quiet Storm
The blockbuster deal of the off-season. The guy has never been an all-star, never led the league in scoring.

I said in the "D Rose gets traded to Knicks" thread that Conley will prove to be the most over paid free signed this off season, while Mozgov and Evans are a close 2nd, Conley is making money per year that only Jordan and Kobe ever saw!

Honestly the way these guys are getting paid today, its really making me like the NBA a little less. I mean, I am all for players receiving their due, but, there are contracts that are just simply unjustifiable, and its going to effect the game before long.

My hope is that if enough of these guys do not play to the level of compensation, and teams do not approach with this wreck less approach again.

Look us paying a 31 year old Noah 18 million per is a bit absurd, but its actually mild to what has happened today.

Help me understand this, If I hit the lotto tomorrow, I would have more money to spend, but does it mean I'm going to spend 85k on a Honda Civic! My point is, the increased salary cap, shouldn't have equated to increased player value! Lebron, KD, Steph, and Westbrook, are players that should get whatever the max salary is, but not everyone in the NBA deserves a pay raise!

I get why Silver wanted to slowly increase the cap, versus an explosion, because this is bad for business. SMH

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Let's not forget about Conley's injury history.

I'd be happy making the rookie minimum.

Broadway

All Star
Roto world reporting D Wade in contract talks with Knicks and Bucks

Bucks were the other team, this is a soft threat by Wade he's still vacationing...he's basically telling Riley hurry up and get me paid before the waters dry up. If he wants $20mil+ we're not in his picture. Wade and Riley always playing games with each other.

Broadway

All Star
I said in the "D Rose gets traded to Knicks" thread that Conley will prove to be the most over paid free signed this off season, while Mozgov and Evans are a close 2nd, Conley is making money per year that only Jordan and Kobe ever saw!

Honestly the way these guys are getting paid today, its really making me like the NBA a little less. I mean, I am all for players receiving their due, but, there are contracts that are just simply unjustifiable, and its going to effect the game before long.

My hope is that if enough of these guys do not play to the level of compensation, and teams do not approach with this wreck less approach again.

Look us paying a 31 year old Noah 18 million per is a bit absurd, but its actually mild to what has happened today.

Help me understand this, If I hit the lotto tomorrow, I would have more money to spend, but does it mean I'm going to spend 85k on a Honda Civic! My point is, the increased salary cap, shouldn't have equated to increased player value! Lebron, KD, Steph, and Westbrook, are players that should get whatever the max salary is, but not everyone in the NBA deserves a pay raise!

I get why Silver wanted to slowly increase the cap, versus an explosion, because this is bad for business. SMH

Parsons deal was pretty disgusting of all the contracts thus far. At least Conley is a major reason the Grizzlies are relevant and have been a threat. Parsons got a $100mil deal

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Bucks were the other team, this is a soft threat by Wade he's still vacationing...he's basically telling Riley hurry up and get me paid before the waters dry up. If he wants $20mil+ we're not in his picture. Wade and Riley always playing games with each other.
Yeah I don't get it. Unless Riley/Wade is trying to do something such as making the Knicks and Bucks wait and miss out on another player Riley wants to sign along with Wade, I don't get the game here. Maybe Wade feels the Bucks and Knicks are more enticing from a basketball stand-point at the moment and New York could get him a lot of money outside of his NBA contract with them (don't know if it'd be better even with taxes).

Broadway

All Star
Yeah I don't get it. Unless Riley/Wade is trying to do something such as making the Knicks and Bucks wait and miss out on another player Riley wants to sign along with Wade, I don't get the game here. Maybe Wade feels the Bucks and Knicks are more enticing from a basketball stand-point at the moment and New York could get him a lot of money outside of his NBA contract with them (don't know if it'd be better even with taxes).

No it's another offseason of Riley and Wade *****footing and temper tantruming with each other. There's nothing to see here.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Another problem with NBA contracts is that egos get in the way by mere comparison alone. Wade, for example, might not really care about the $20 million alone, but compared to the absurd contracts given to players not as good as him, might want that money on what he deems as principle.

I hope CLee says yes to a 4yr/44M deal.

I know the market has exploded, but if we give a guy like Courtney Lee, who will be 31 when the season starts, 11 million per season for 4 years and he only averaged 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists per game in starter's minutes last season, he better play Bruce Bowen-type defense for us.

mafra

Legend
Lee can guard 2s & 3s and is a gritty role player, who is accustomed to playing off the ball. He can bang down 3s... A better version of Afflalo, b/c AA sold out the team this year to make himself money... AA was selfish and took poor shots and jus defense was mediocre.

Lee would be our Bowen type. Having a rim protector and a perimeter defender, along with KP.... Plus effort... Will make us a decent defensive team.

With our starting 3 scorers... We need some shooters. In a perfect world, Lee is our backup SG.

Knicks need to "hit a solid double" and sign another G to pair with Rose, Lee, LG...

Lee, Gordon, LT and lets go!

mafra

Legend
Hard to fathom this is the 4th time since 1996 that the NYK have had cap space to sign significant free agents.

tiger0330

Legend
40M Knicks offer, definitely not an offer Lee can't refuse. If Lee or EG don't have a better offer on the table, expect the Knicks to wait for their answer until the flurry of deals is done and teams know what they can spend on secondary targets. I don't see EG taking a 6M pay cut and CLee would be getting a raise but maybe not enough in his mind.

mafra

Legend
It sounds like this year's hit for Lee (8.5 mil) & Noah (16.5) will be about 25M. Assuming #s we are hearing are avg annual per year figures... Salaries escalate each year of deal.

-------

Arron Afflalo - G/F - Kings
Unrestricted free agent Arron Afflalo has agreed to a two-year, $25M deal with the Kings.
The Kings continue their search for a shooting guard and get Afflalo on a short, solid deal. He will enter his age-31 season and it'll be interesting to see how his post-up game meshes with DeMarcus Cousins. Afflalo won't be getting a ton of shots once again, so his fantasy value doesn't increase here. This addition makes it less likely the Kings land Dion Waiters.
Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter Jul 2 - 2:52 PM
Courtney Lee - G - Hornets
The Knicks offered unrestricted free agent Courtney Lee an offer of $40 million-plus over four years, according to ESPN.com's Ian Begley.
The fourth year is big for a 31-year-old Lee, so teams might have a tough time matching this deal. Lee is a capable wing for his defense and shooting while not commanding the ball a lot will mesh nicely with Derrick Rose and Carmelo Anthony. He wouldn't have much fantasy value, of course.
Source: Ian Begley on Twitter Jul 2 - 2:45 PM

mafra

Legend
Sounds like we still have about 5-10 mil to play with... Along with our MLE and other exemptions teams get.

Enough to add a vet (Gordon, Crawford, Jack) or entice a guy like Austin Rivers... Plus we could sign DW or LT.

Even so, Rose, Noah, & Lee a nice plan-B to Durant.

Trade deadline moves, plus a first rounder and cap space next year... Ah....