Knicks Media Day 9/26

welcometonycity

Rotation player
The Knicks had a pre-media day press conference with President Phil Jackson, GM Steve Mills, and coach Jeff Hornacek last week in advance of Monday's session. Jackson attempted to shut down any questions about the Derrick Rose sexual assault trial, but that's likely not going to stop the New York media from pressing the former Bulls star about the situation and how it could impact his season. His teammates, too, will field questions about it.
There are other big questions, though. Kristaps Porzingis is a known quantity now -- a star. He's going to have questions about expectations for this season and how he can go forward. For Carmelo Anthony, it's old hat, but the same questions about winning a championship, if he wants to stay in New York, what winning the gold medal this summer, and where his career is going are standard.
And of course, Joakim Noah's going to speak. Noah and Anthony are also very likely to be asked and speak on the recent protests of the national anthem over racial tensions surrounding ongoing police shootings.
Plus Brandon Jennings is in the house, and he always has something to say. Really, there are more questions to be asked of Jackson. Is this his last year with the Knicks, with a reported opt out in his deal after this season? Are the Knicks going to run primarily triangle, or something more complex?
This is a bizarre, and fascinating Knicks season about to begin. There's a lot to absorb.

tiger0330

Legend
He might have had a good reason but Noah missing media day was a bad start to the season.

KP looks more muscular despite being about the same weight as the start of last season, he won't be Shawn Bradley or Manute Bol skinny when he matures.

DRose doesn't seem concerned about his upcoming case and the latest news that the LA police are investigating a criminal complaint made by Jane Doe of rape.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Courtney Lee said Jeff Horancek told him that he needed to work on conditioning because the Knicks are ?going to run a lot' this season. NY ranked in the bottom 10 in pace the past three seasons. Seems like Hornacek hopes to change that. Hornacek's Phoenix teams pushed the pace.
16h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Brandon Jennings says this year feels like a ?new beginning' - in part because his Achillies injury is fully healthy. "I'm back to looking like my rookie year again, skinny - which is okay with me?. I feel like this is an opportunity for me to prove myself again & come back. Be Brandon Jennings again."
16h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Kristaps Porzingis is excited about the return of Lance Thomas: "I told him at the end of the season, 'Don't leave us, you've got to stay with us'.... He's not the guy that everybody adores but he's going to do the work and he's there every night." Thomas was re-signed to 4-year, $27 million deal.
16h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Carmelo Anthony is in better shape than he's been ?in a long time' due to playing in the Olympics. "That gave me an opportunity to come into training camp ready." NYK hopes to ease the scoring burden on Anthony, so it's reasonable to expect his assists to increase from last year's career high of 4.3
16h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Kristaps Porzingis had a fresh approach to weight training this season: "Last offseason, we made a little mistake that all I did was work upper body and try to get bigger. This offseason, I really focused on my lower strength, my legs, core, make sure that it's strong."
16h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Why does this year feel different for Derrick Rose? "I have a lot more options. I have shooters & I can play through someone almost the entire game. (It could be) Melo or it could be KP. This whole time we've been playing pickup, they want me to attack and me attacking opens (things) up."
17h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Derrick Rose hopes to improve his dribble efficiency this year, trying to take a page from Kobe Bryant. "Every one of his dribbles leads him up to a great shot or puts him in a position to take a great shot," Rose said. Rose shot 49% off of two dribbles last season & 45% off of 3-6, per NBA.com.
17h

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Derrick Rose missed the playoffs last season for the first time in his career, which could be a blessing in disguise for the Knicks. Rose said today that he's had more time to workout and relax this summer and feels refreshed coming into the season.

Kiyaman

Legend
He might have had a good reason but Noah missing media day was a bad start to the season.

KP looks more muscular despite being about the same weight as the start of last season, he won't be Shawn Bradley or Manute Bol skinny when he matures.

DRose doesn't seem concerned about his upcoming case and the latest news that the LA police are investigating a criminal complaint made by Jane Doe of rape.

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Joakim Noah has been excused from Media Day for a personal family reason. He is expected back in two days.

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Kristaps Porzingis says he's worked on his post play and ball handling over the summer. "You're going to see some new stuff this season, and hopefully some put-back dunks."

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Derrick Rose says "if I do have to miss time" due to the civil case alleging sexual assault "it's a part" of the legal process. He says "obviously" he doesn't want to be in this position.

My reason for giving Phil Jackson another Grade "F" for the offseason ...
Do u think Phil Jackson filled the Knicks roster with Playoff intention players?
I dont!
Phil did not get Noah any experience veteran Big Man help to guide all the young bigmen players on the roster in the locker room, practice, and on the court.
Phil did not get KP a summer trainer to work with in the post. A 7.3 KP should know how to make one step moves without putting the ball lower than his chest to pass or shoot in the paint .. KP did not have that type of talent in his rookie season.
Phil did not resign young combo-guard Langston Galloway to be Lee's backup or injury-backup for PG Rose or Jennings, plus Phil knew Rose had a Civil suit coming up when the regular season begins .. no one knows or have an idea how long the case may take during the season?
I still would have tried to sign Mark Jackson as assistant coach to coach Horn