Who are the players Mills cuts to get down to the 15 man roster

tiger0330

Legend
Oct. 24 is cut day and the Knicks have to get down to 15 players from 18. Albert said Mills wants to make the decision by Saturday and he's looking at keeping players that can play more than one position in making his decision. We don't hold draft rights to these players so we can't stash them in the DLeague as protected players, we can only assign them as affiliate players but other teams can sign affiliate players. We might want to keep Randle even though he's injured because we think he has value around the league and some team might pick him up despite being injured, another consideration is the Hawks just cut Jarrett Jack so they might want PG help so the Knicks might want to keep both Randle and Baker to keep from losing either prospect to the Hawks.

I think the cuts are going to be Lou, Ndour and Plumlee though Mills may gamble that no one picks up Randle because of his injury and cuts him to stash him in the D-League.

Based on what I've read, 2 of the cuts are Ndour and Takoto. Then it comes down to Lou vs Baker. I'd rather have Baker given upside, but Lou has been loyal. I think Plumlee has made the team.

tiger0330

Legend
Based on what I've read, 2 of the cuts are Ndour and Takoto. Then it comes down to Lou vs Baker. I'd rather have Baker given upside, but Lou has been loyal. I think Plumlee has made the team.
My bad htr10, forgot about Tokoto. Keep Plumlee, I think Lou was insurance in case one or both of Plumlee or Willy were busts but they showed potential so Lou is probably gone.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks cut Randle, Lou and Tokoto. Kept Baker and Ndour, Ndour was what Mills was hinting at mentioning players that could play multiple positions.

I'm sure the injury hurt Randle's chances, I hope the Knicks can keep him but he's fair game to any team and the Thunder reportedly made him an offer in the summer. Hawks are also in the market for a PG after releasing Jack.

mafra

Legend
Yeah.... Randle is out a month than will probably take another month getting back into game shape.

Not much of a "roll of the dice" by cutting him, mainly b/c it doesn't appear he can help an NBA team until Jan.

The Knicks obviously feel Baker's shooter my ability is a more valuable asset to hold on to right now.

With Rose, BJ, & Sasha, Randle not too important to this year's success.

On the other hand, Knicks are giving up the chance to groom Randle for next year. I'm sure the hope is he stays with NYK, goes to D-league, than NYK cut a big (Ndour) when he's ready to return.... But, Randle is free to decline this assignment.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo campaigned for Randle saying he loved his game, he doesn't say that about every rookie, says Randle has potential to me. Also, that summer league team sucked until he played in the 3rd game, think they scored like 65pts in the first 2 summer league games, the kid can flat out score. I hope we can keep him.

That said the Knicks probably made the right decision cutting him because of that injury, they do have some depth at the position and he is just a prospect and not a proven player.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks cut Randle, Lou and Tokoto. Kept Baker and Ndour, Ndour was what Mills was hinting at mentioning players that could play multiple positions.

I'm sure the injury hurt Randle's chances, I hope the Knicks can keep him but he's fair game to any team and the Thunder reportedly made him an offer in the summer. Hawks are also in the market for a PG after releasing Jack.

KNICKS WAIVE FIVE PLAYERS
NEW YORK, October 21, 2016 ? New York Knickerbockers President Phil Jackson announced today that the team has waived guards Chasson Randle and J.P. Tokoto and forwards Lou Amundson, Cleanthony Early and Damien Inglis. The roster now stands at 15 players.
Randle, 6-2, 185-pounds, was signed as an undrafted free agent on Aug. 4, 2016 and appeared in three preseason games, averaging 7.7 points over 15.7 minutes. Tokoto, 6-6, 200-pounds, was signed on Aug. 1, 2016 and appeared in three preseason games, averaging 2.7 points over 12.1 minutes. Amundson, 6-9, 220-pounds, scored two total points over 15 minutes over two preseason games. Early, signed on Oct. 18, and Inglis, signed on Oct. 11, did not appear in preseason action.

Baker over Randle is absurd!
I'm glad we kept Sasha veteran experience but Baker should've been sent to Westchester, he need a year or two in the D.League.
Chasson Randle talent will be playing on some NBA team during December or January.

Im not thrilled about keeping Kuz either, Kuz is not a reliable PF or SF we could depend on playing against real NBA big-men opponents.
N.Dour is a decent 12 minute hustling SF that could defend the perimeter, but matching N.Dour with opponents PF in the paint is a losing cause.

Im glad we didnt cut Plumlee.
I still say Willy and Quinn are winning NBA PF

tiger0330

Legend
Rox waived Prigoni, Suns waived Archie Goodwin and Celts waived RJ Hunter. I was worried that someone would pick up Randle but I'm betting cuts like these make it less likely someone is going to pick up someone like Randle that probably won't help until Dec-Jan. Looks like a good move by Mills to cut Randle, we may be able to stash him in Westchester.

Kiyaman

Legend
I want Randle in full Knicks uniform in December.
Randle has the combo-guard technique down pack like ex-Knicks Galloway had in his first season as a Knicks.
Baker .. weak defender need a full season in the D.League to work on a few creative offensive move plus tighten up on his passing skills so not to telegraph the pass

Broadway

All Star
Melo campaigned for Randle saying he loved his game, he doesn't say that about every rookie, says Randle has potential to me. Also, that summer league team sucked until he played in the 3rd game, think they scored like 65pts in the first 2 summer league games, the kid can flat out score. I hope we can keep him.

That said the Knicks probably made the right decision cutting him because of that injury, they do have some depth at the position and he is just a prospect and not a proven player.

Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings are quite possibly the worst starting/backup "POINT GUARD" combo in the league. Randle was really the only reason I may have watched this team this yr. This team is a disaster for so many different reasons.

Key words in this reply are...

POINT
GUARD