Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Utah Jazz 12:00 pm 11/6/2016 [Game#6]

tiger0330

Legend
but you know what? the good news is i'm seeing some good stuff from rose. 8 assists tonight. he had 4 TOs, but at least he's not hogging the ball like he was a few games ago. we need to stop this hero ball BS and over-switching on our D. cLee only had 8 shots tonight. we have to get him more involved. the games we've won have all had him more active and aggressive on the offense early on.
They had everything they needed for a W. Big games by KP and Melo, DRose with 18 and making some sensational hoops, Horn is still searching for the right combination of guys that he trusts, experimenting with Kuz in the 2nd period, that 3 guard lineup in the 4th, replacing Noah with LT in the 4th. Really disappointed in this 2-4 start but it's still early and KP and DRose play gives me hope.

mafra

Legend
The refs didn't help, the second unit didn't help in the second half, but the bottom line was this was a schedule loss. Hard to make much out of this.

We started off strong but then sputtered to a halt.... refs put Noah and KP in foul trouble, sending both to the bench.

But, this was their 4th game in 6 days. And it clearly showed in the 4th. The final 3 quarters we allowed 29, 29, 34 points... the game was there to be won but the younger kids in Utah, with fresher legs, just kept scoring and
We couldn't stop it. This was Heywarda first game of the season. He was fresh and refs handed him 14 points from the FT line.

Now, a loss to Brooklyn would be awful. So, let's take the good from this game: KP, Melo, Rose on offense and the second unit's play in the first half.

mafra

Legend
We lost this game not so much on defense but bc in the second, third, and halfway thru the 4th we had about 59 combined points (30 in the first). We need to win with offense.... obviously. We ain't the late 80s Pistons.

tiger0330

Legend
DRose on the loss, communication while defending the pick and roll was poor today vs. Utah. D will be key for the Knicks all year.

Hornacek on the loss. Ball movement not as good as on Friday and did a poor job moving today w/o the ball. Also fouled way too much and had trouble defending the 1-3 PnR.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Good stuff. Thanks.
Thanks to Rady for this new video command. With it you can embed MSG Network videos in your posts, if you scroll down you'll see other videos you can play like DRose comments on todays loss and Melo commenting that we let this one slip away. Rady does a great job with the site from the game threads to supporting the members and the site. It's the most polished NY Knick fan site IMO.

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I really like how Rose was able to explain what specifically went wrong rather than just saying "we need to communicate, we gotta get better". Also, "Carmelo, what do you think went wrong? Uhhhh, I dunno". :lol:

mafra

Legend
This game reminded me of the OKC @ GSW earlier in the week. The thunder erupted early and built a lead, but they had played in LAC the night before and they just fell flat after the first. GSW won the game, then lost in LAK the next night.

The Knicks brought the energy and focus but they just didn't have much come the 4th quarter... Utah took it to our second unit for an early run, and they were able to hold on the rest of the way.

But, it wasn't Utah who was lethargic in the first half. Gordon H was rusty.... to be hones, there were a bunch of touch fouls for Utah that kept them afloat.... that helped them cut a 13 point lead down to 5.... but, if you watched, NYK should've had a 20 point lead. A combo of no calls when we had the ball and the 21 FT Utah received.... that was enough to keep them in this and then they woke up and we had nothing in the tank.

Noah and lee just didn't have the same impact, foul trouble messed with the rotation and HORN did another poor job managing the minutes.

But Rose woke up and we saw what this team could be if we run the offense through Noah.... use his mind and passing to facilitate the offense.... and keep the focus on getting KP the ball. Spacing begins right there.... use more pick and rolls and give and goes...

We still need to pick up the tempo some... and let's hope The second into can be more consistent.

But.... we have 3 legitimate weapons on offense. That should help more often than naught in the 4th.

We won the MEM and CHI games by making plays in the 4th.... we lost the DET and Utah games because we couldn't make the plays. I'all give them a pass today bc of the tough week they had. Let's just hope we win 66% of those 50/50 games in the 4th.

Kiyaman

Legend
I thought after Chi the Knicks turned a corner. The refs might have helped Utah but allowing 36 pts in the 4th did them in started by that 7-0 run by Utah with the 2nd unit in.

KP and Melo combined for 56 points, you're supposed to win games when they're shooting like that.

I hope this Knicks LOSS proves my point bout giving the STARTERS above 30 minutes of playing-time .. We been performing as if we are in the start of the season with a roster of majority new players so we need 4 to 5 of our bench players receiving 18 minute playing-time in the game rotation.
Plus to add more reason for todays LOSS .. coach Horny gave Lance Thomas 29 minute playing time to gain his 5th worst performance game this season .. Utah Jazz outscored us 29-24 in the 2nd qtr. .. our 2nd unit looked terrible having Lance Thomas in the line-up during first half of the game .. our starters were not able to go on a run having Lance Thomas in the line-up during the 2nd half of the game.

From last season to now Melo and KP has to have a record of 15-30 when the two are in the lineup the closing 5 minute of a game .. where's the co-existing???

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I can't make up my mind on Lance.... while watching the game i always feel that he is doing a terrible job, but when I go back to the numbers, he has no TO and didn't take that much shots........what do you think of this player?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to Rady for this new video command. With it you can embed MSG Network videos in your posts, if you scroll down you'll see other videos you can play like DRose comments on todays loss and Melo commenting that we let this one slip away. Rady does a great job with the site from the game threads to supporting the members and the site. It's the most polished NY Knick fan site IMO.

Thanks for the kind words, i appreciate it!
Btw, is anyone interesting in writing weekly columns for the home page? I can setup a budget for that so it won't be for free, and i trully believe that would help in getting more people here. PM-me if interested.

and1

Rotation player
I can't make up my mind on Lance.... while watching the game i always feel that he is doing a terrible job, but when I go back to the numbers, he has no TO and didn't take that much shots........what do you think of this player?

i think that if he were playing like he'd played at the start of last season things would look a lot better. but right now he's not really having much of an impact. my guess is that he's probably dealing with some kind of nagging injury. something has definitely changed from last season to this season. he's clearly not being as aggressive on the offense as he was last year. if it is a nagging injury, coach should allow him some time to patch it up and maybe give kuz a few more minutes, at least until n'dour is ready to come back into the rotation. n'dour was inactive for the game against utah. remember, it wasn't really our 2nd unit that messed up the game for us, at least not in the first half. they did a pretty decent job of maintaining the lead for us at the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd periods.

tiger0330

Legend
Speaking of Lance's. Pelicans cut Lance Stephenson because he suffered a groin injury that will require surgery and the Pels needed immediate help and signed Goodwin with his roster spot.

I know guys here including myself thought he would be a low risk pickup, Pels signed him to a non-guaranteed 1 yr vet min deal. I guarantee PJ is going to have to make a deal to shore up the bench, Knicks are going to sign Randle when he recovers but I think PJ should have Stephenson on his radar when he comes back.

Kiyaman

Legend

Lance Thomas performance has been the PITS because coach Jeff Horn has Lance at the wrong position on offense n defense. Lance is not a PF on offense, plus Lance weakness is when switch to defend the 4 spot.
Last season on Offense Lance played well as our Big-Guard/SF on the wing to crashed the boards to grab offensive-rebounds n put backs, on defense Lance defended opponent scoring SF well.

The position n role Jeff Horn are given to Lance we have two players that fit the role better in N'Dour or Kuz.

There's no reason for Jeff Horn to give Lance Thomas or Melo playing-time at the PF spot this season when we have a NBA-Ready athletic Willy Hernangomez, who should be our backup PF for the next two season for his NBA growth.
Plus Quinn is the perfect big-man to use as our combo C/F off the bench for 24 minute per game.

mafra

Legend
Thanks for the kind words, i appreciate it!
Btw, is anyone interesting in writing weekly columns for the home page? I can setup a budget for that so it won't be for free, and i trully believe that would help in getting more people here. PM-me if interested.

PM me about this (I wasn't able to pM you)

and1

Rotation player
well, based on articles i've read today it's looking like phil's not happy with the fact that the knicks aren't running enough triangle.
this is putting hornacek in a bad spot, on top of the fact that he needs to address their serious problem with defense and figuring out which guys - other than holiday and jennings of course - he'll be bringing off the bench regularly.
i'm trying not to hit the panic button on this, but i'm smelling disaster.

and1

Rotation player
time for phil to head back west...

i really wish he'd just stick to drafting and signing and trading and such. he hit a home run with KP.
despite the injury worries, he traded for dRose, which i still think was worth the risk, especially since he only had 1 year left on the contract.
and getting holiday with that deal, which was originally thought of as a tag-along of sorts, is looking like it might turn out to be a pretty darn
good thing too. getting cLee and jennings i thought, and still think, were good solid moves too. picking up baker i think is going to end up being a pretty
solid move too, if not now then at least a little bit down the road. picking up randle i thought was a really good move.
my point is, phil needs to stop trying to coach from the office. we've got a group of talented guards on this roter, FOR ONCE. let hornacek coach
them so that he can maximize the talent we have instead of handcuffing him and the team to something WE HAVE ALREADY SEEN is not going to work.