Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Charlotte Hornets 11/27/2016

and1

Rotation player
charlotte came out tonight much more desperate than we did. i like how we fought back, but i don't like how lazy we got in the 4th, right when we had the chance to put our foot on their throats.
back to .500. we have to win on monday, both to continue protecting home court and to not go back down to a losing record. a big win on monday will help wash away the bad taste from this one.

tiger0330

Legend
Hornacek didn't sound thrilled with Melo and his 7-25 night. Said he had it going last night but not tonight, said he's our guy but it is what it is and you move on.

Always felt Melo was never shy about shooting even if he he was having an obvious off night and it was detrimental to the team. I had the feeling Horn feels the same way listening to his post game.

mafra

Legend
Hornacek didn't sound thrilled with Melo and his 7-25 night. Said he had it going last night but not tonight, said he's our guy but it is what it is and you move on.

Always felt Melo was never shy about shooting even if he he was having an obvious off night and it was detrimental to the team. I had the feeling Horn feels the same way listening to his post game.

These two games were simple.... Melo was making shots in the win and he wasn't in the loss. The other guys made plays here and there but the fact is that nobody but Melo was the difference in these games. Lee were awful.... Noah invisible, KP did nothing in the fourth quarter (unlike Kaminsky he sank 2 killer threes). Anthony missed a ton of shots but it wasn't costing the other guys, who were missing their own shots.

We shot under 38% tonight....

We should've featured KP more down the stretch.... but by that point it was over. The MVP was the ref Ford.
officials like him shouldn't have a job... he called way too many fouls. Down the stretch he basically gifted CHA 6 free points. Then, he ignores a blatant travel on Kaminsky and then ignores a few CHA fouls. That whistle around Ford's neck was a +10 for Hornets the final 5 minutes.

This is the story of the season.... it's tough winning games when the opponent is constantly attempting 20 more free throws a game. We foul way to much and this means refs call
some bogus fouls because we make them whistle happy. Then it looks worse bc so many touch fouls are called on us that we get upset when we don't get the touch foul.

but.... we lost this game bc we started off slow and couldn't finish it. Melo missing nearly 20 shots and Rose went 6-20 and KP went 7-16.... had Melo hit more shots or had KP and Rose hit shots in the 4th.... we win.

But.... we were outrebounded in the 4th 13-4 and we let a winnable game slip through our fingers.

1-6 on the road is alarming. Monday will be another sign of what direction we could head... we have a brutal DEC coming up.... 9/14 on road at one point, including a 5 game West coast trip.

If we lose Monday we might not get above .500 until Jan.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
charlotte came out tonight much more desperate than we did. i like how we fought back, but i don't like how lazy we got in the 4th, right when we had the chance to put our foot on their throats.
back to .500. we have to win on monday, both to continue protecting home court and to not go back down to a losing record. a big win on monday will help wash away the bad taste from this one.

i did not see laziness i saw fatigue. melo is not a spring chicken and he basically had nothing in the tank the second night of a back to back. he is 32. you have to wonder why he still doesn't understand his own limitations. i mean jacking up 25 shots on 34% usage and 2 assists is outrageous. he needed to be a ball mover and playmaker. when you are gassed you get tunnel vision and the only "right" decision seems to be shooting the ball.

i think in these back to backs hornacek needs to take the popovich approach and rest melo. start kuzminskas, or thomas when he's healthy again, or even jennings.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
These two games were simple.... Melo was making shots in the win and he wasn't in the loss. The other guys made plays here and there but the fact is that nobody but Melo was the difference in these games. Lee were awful.... Noah invisible, KP did nothing in the fourth quarter (unlike Kaminsky he sank 2 killer threes). Anthony missed a ton of shots but it wasn't costing the other guys, who were missing their own shots.

We shot under 38% tonight....

We should've featured KP more down the stretch.... but by that point it was over. The MVP was the ref Ford.
officials like him shouldn't have a job... he called way too many fouls. Down the stretch he basically gifted CHA 6 free points. Then, he ignores a blatant travel on Kaminsky and then ignores a few CHA fouls. That whistle around Ford's neck was a +10 for Hornets the final 5 minutes.

This is the story of the season.... it's tough winning games when the opponent is constantly attempting 20 more free throws a game. We foul way to much and this means refs call
some bogus fouls because we make them whistle happy. Then it looks worse bc so many touch fouls are called on us that we get upset when we don't get the touch foul.

but.... we lost this game bc we started off slow and couldn't finish it. Melo missing nearly 20 shots and Rose went 6-20 and KP went 7-16.... had Melo hit more shots or had KP and Rose hit shots in the 4th.... we win.

But.... we were outrebounded in the 4th 13-4 and we let a winnable game slip through our fingers.

1-6 on the road is alarming. Monday will be another sign of what direction we could head... we have a brutal DEC coming up.... 9/14 on road at one point, including a 5 game West coast trip.

If we lose Monday we might not get above .500 until Jan.

being a bad road team means you are not a true playoff team. hornacek needs to make some sort of adjustments defensively because "defense travels."

Kiyaman

Legend
What did u take from the previous game? Nothing!
Was Melo just trying to stuff the stat sheet bombing up? If your tired after a big performance the night before u should allow your teammate to bear the scoring load .. it would be a team move, if u werent a career chucker.

I mention the 40 shots taking each game by Melo n KP .. what i didnt want to mention were Melo n KP are not 4th qtr. players u depend on their ISO-scoring to win in crunch time .. the two have a 40-58 record .. Fact!
We now have 4 scorers on our team roster in Melo/Rose/Jennings/and KP .. each one of our 4 scorers could average double-digit scoring by drawing the double team and passing to the open man. We have 2 PnR Bigs that could pass well in Noah n Quinn. Our isolation plays are one thing that work in our favor, our chucking the ball is how we became a decade of losers.
Melo shot 7-25 plus Melo went to FT line once in the game, and Rose shot 6-20 plus went to FT line 3 times.
Why do coach Horn give players over 31 minutes at the end of a back to back when we have 11 reliable healthy players???

tiger0330

Legend
i did not see laziness i saw fatigue. melo is not a spring chicken and he basically had nothing in the tank the second night of a back to back. he is 32. you have to wonder why he still doesn't understand his own limitations. i mean jacking up 25 shots on 34% usage and 2 assists is outrageous. he needed to be a ball mover and playmaker. when you are gassed you get tunnel vision and the only "right" decision seems to be shooting the ball.

i think in these back to backs hornacek needs to take the popovich approach and rest melo. start kuzminskas, or thomas when he's healthy again, or even jennings.
I looked up Melo's stats in this years back to backs and he was 8-15 21 pts against HOU and 10-21 31 pts against the Raps so his track record on back to backs doesn't say you need to rest him on back to backs as a rule, he is after all in his early 30's not mid-30's when Pop decided to rest Duncan and that was to save his vets for their annual playoff runs.

I just question when Melo plays hero ball like he does occasionally to the teams detriment. He actually made two passes at the end of the game that resulted in buckets and I said to myself that's what he should have been doing the whole game instead of jacking up transition 3's and tough contested jumpers.

We got into another hole early led by a guy that played very little all year for them Jeremy Lamb, the Knicks really blew a golden opportunity to get a road win and to go 2 over .500 when we were healthy and they were missing 2 starters. Now we face Mr. Triple Double RW on Monday which is going to make it tough to stay above .500. I hope Mafra is wrong about we might not see .500 again before Jan.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
I looked up Melo's stats in this years back to backs and he was 8-15 21 pts against HOU and 10-21 31 pts against the Raps so his track record on back to backs doesn't say you need to rest him on back to backs as a rule, he is after all in his early 30's not mid-30's when Pop decided to rest Duncan and that was to save his vets for their annual playoff runs.

I just question when Melo plays hero ball like he does occasionally to the teams detriment. He actually made two passes at the end of the game that resulted in buckets and I said to myself that's what he should have been doing the whole game instead of jacking up transition 3's and tough contested jumpers.

We got into another hole early led by a guy that played very little all year for them Jeremy Lamb, the Knicks really blew a golden opportunity to get a road win and to go 2 over .500 when we were healthy and they were missing 2 starters. Now we face Mr. Triple Double RW on Monday which is going to make it tough to stay above .500. I hope Mafra is wrong about we might not see .500 again before Jan.

i recall those games. a couple of factors to consider are the "getting to know you factor" with rose which i think remains a work in progress (also that rose took 20 shots against toronto and 18 shots against houston), and what you're insinuating about melo's well-established selfishness, a selfishness that may be fueled by a fear of losing his putative status on the knicks with the arrival of an ascendant talent in kp. it bothers me because we saw a transcendent melo last season for about 25 games over a span of about 30 games, from around game 10 or so to game 40 or whenever he rolled his ankle on the ref. if we had THAT melo the knicks would be a better team, but i think with rose in the mix it is sometimes subtraction by addition. bottom line the team needs to continue to gel. it's only game 16. i'm looking more at game 30 to see who and what the knicks can be.

another issue is the fact that in rose and melo you have a below-par defensive duo. they are doing better, ironically, as one-on-one defenders, but are really poor as team defenders.

they're not the greatest mentors that kp could have, what with their inefficient chucking, but kp has not exactly been a model of prudence on offense either. again, it is a question of chemistry and gelling, and not so much "i need to get mine."

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
For the life of me I can't understand why they didn't keep giving the ball to KP in the 4th.Everybody knows you keep feeding the guy with the hot hand but it seems like when Melo comes back in the game you can throw that out the window.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
For the life of me I can't understand why they didn't keep giving the ball to KP in the 4th.Everybody knows you keep feeding the guy with the hot hand but it seems like when Melo comes back in the game you can throw that out the window.

He has a no trade clause that allows him to do whatever he wants, even if he SHOOTS THE TEAM OUT OF A GAME and convinces everyone he plays to win.

Sometimes when you are off or injured or tired, you have to become a decoy to free up the other teammates who's capable to step up.