Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Oklahoma City Thunder 7:30 pm 11/28/2016 [Game#17]

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks fall to 8-9. Poor shooting and getting mauled by Kanter on the boards at the end did the Knicks in. One Knick took 19 shots to make 18 pts, 10 out 10 Knicks fans can tell you who that is.

mafra

Legend
It was 101-99 and then we folded. This team is in big trouble with the December schedule looming. This was a game they needed.... a game they led by 11.... then they folded when punched in the mouth. Absolutely embarrassed to call myself a nYK fan tonight.

melo was atrocious again on offense.... clearly his days of being a scorer are over.... sure, every 6th game he'll flash his old brilliant self... but mostly all that remains is 7-23 type nights. Add this to his near zero impact late in games.... boy.... that's tough to watch bc he contributes little elsewhere.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
We have a lot of NEW players on the roster who might be intimidated playing in close games with the garden crowd breathing down their necks expecting them to win.

Opposing players love playing hard to get a win at MSG

Last edited:

Playa2

Benchwarmer
I'm starting to wonder is Melo is hurt, he has no lift and really doesn't run the floor hard anymore consistently

tiger0330

Legend
I'm going to start posting these stats after every game. You can get them from ESPN's Chrome extension that you can download.

Knicks

Fast Break Points: 8
Points in Paint: 46
TOs (Opp Points Off TOs): 5 (8)
Flagrant Fouls: 0
Technical Fouls: 0
eFG%: .429
TS%: .498
2P%: .417
FTM/FGA: .275
TOV%: 4.6%
Mid-range pts: 14
Pace: 92.6
OffRtg: 111.2
DefRtg: 121.0
NetRtg: -9.8
ORB%: 26.1%
DRB%: 62.2%

OKC

Fast Break Points: 14
Points in Paint: 66
TOs (Opp Points Off TOs): 14 (13)
eFG%: .556
TS%: .572
2P%: .559
FTM/FGA: .133
TOV%: 12.5%
Mid-range pts: 10
OffRtg: 121.0
DefRtg: 111.2
NetRtg: +9.8
ORB%: 37.8%
DRB%: 73.9%

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
8-9 record... 13/17 teams played above .500.... it could be worse for Knicks, I guess
Yes, it could be worse, but we keep losing absolutely winnable games. When KP and Melo go cold we're toast (there's absolutely no excuse for shooting 21%, looking at you Melo). You can't win a game if your only player with a positive PER is Noah.

and1

Rotation player
this could have been a great win to put us over .500, but we couldn't match their physicality. roberson played some really good defense on melo, but number 7 still should've been able to score at least 2 or 3 more buckets off of him. add to that the fact that KP also went cold earlier in the game at the same time and being out-rebounded as a team... that's not a good recipe for success. and then on top of that their bench outplayed ours'. but i think what really killed us more than anything was the disparity in rebounds, especially down the stretch in the final minutes of the game. this was a game where we sorely missed RoLo. we were within 2 points in the 4th quarter if i remember correctly, and then they just bullied us around. it's ironic that noah was our only player to be in the positive with +/-, despite the fact that we got manhandled under the basket.
but i'm not hitting the panic button yet. the good news is we have 4 EXTREMELY winnable games coming up next. anything less than 3-1 will be real cause for concern at this point. hopefully we take our frustration out on the wolves wednesday night. as everyone knows our road record is pretty awful. this next road game is a must win. and if we can bring them back to the garden and beat them again, that will help wash away the bad taste left from this one.

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
actually, i just took a good look at our schedule. we honestly have a pretty realistic chance of going 7-3 over the next 10 games. only teams i see in that stretch that you can write off as a loss are the cavs and the warriors. i'm factoring in a typical poor and disappointing performance to make for that 3rd loss, probably during that 4 game stretch when we're out west, but hopefully that would just be the game against the warriors. i'll take a blowout to the warriors in exchange for a 7-3 run over the next 10. yeah, i'd sign up for that.

tiger0330

Legend
And1 we can hope they go 7-3 but as Mafra pointed out 7 of the next 10 games will be on the road and one of those games at home will be against the Cavs so it could go like Mafra is saying where the Knicks don't see the .500 mark again until Jan.

Odd, that this years record is strikingly similar to last year when we hung around the .500 mark until Jan before nosediving the rest of the season.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm going to start posting these stats after every game. You can get them from ESPN's Chrome extension that you can download.

Knicks

Fast Break Points: 8
Points in Paint: 46
TOs (Opp Points Off TOs): 5 (8)
eFG%: .429
TS%: .498
2P%: .417
FTM/FGA: .275
TOV%: 4.6%
Mid-range pts: 14
OffRtg: 111.2
DefRtg: 121.0
NetRtg: -9.8
ORB%: 26.1%
DRB%: 62.2%

OKC

Fast Break Points: 14
Points in Paint: 66
TOs (Opp Points Off TOs): 14 (13)
eFG%: .556
TS%: .572
2P%: .559
FTM/FGA: .133
TOV%: 12.5%
Mid-range pts: 10
OffRtg: 121.0
DefRtg: 111.2
NetRtg: +9.8
ORB%: 37.8%
DRB%: 73.9%

Points in the Paint .. 46 to 66 ...the Ball don't Lie!
Someone need to ask coach Horn are u coaching to please the Fans? or are u coaching for the win?
We got out rebounded by OKC on both sides of the court 40 to 53
Our most minute frontcourt players Melo n KP vs OKC frontcourt players Adam n Kanter prove to be another Knicks frontcourt player failure tonight.
Noah received 26 min ..
Quinn received 17 min ..
Willy received 14 min ..
IF we wouldve gave Noah 32 min, Quinn 24 min, and Willy 24 minutes we would have won. But we didn't ...
Our coach didn't learn anything from the previous game when a 6.5 opponent Lamb grabbed 17 rebounds ..
Tonight a 6.3 opponent Westbrook grabbed 18 rebounds and 5 off the offensive glass.
I have notice that Jeff Horn's coaching n substituting players are practically the same as our previous head coaches did having Melo.

In our 16 games this season Noah has been averaging 8 rebounds and 4 assist on 20 minutes of playing time.
Noah's career shows he deserve 30 or more minutes on the court, especially when its the start of a season being on a new team with new teammates.

Kiyaman

Legend
this could have been a great win to put us over .500, but we couldn't match their physicality. roberson played some really good defense on melo, but number 7 still should've been able to score at least 2 or 3 more buckets off of him. add to that the fact that KP also went cold earlier in the game at the same time and being out-rebounded as a team... that's not a good recipe for success. and then on top of that their bench outplayed ours'. but i think what really killed us more than anything was the disparity in rebounds, especially down the stretch in the final minutes of the game. this was a game where we sorely missed RoLo. we were within 2 points in the 4th quarter if i remember correctly, and then they just bullied us around. it's ironic that noah was our only player to be in the positive with +/-, despite the fact that we got manhandled under the basket.
but i'm not hitting the panic button yet. the good news is we have 4 EXTREMELY winnable games coming up next. anything less than 3-1 will be real cause for concern at this point. hopefully we take our frustration out on the wolves wednesday night. as everyone knows our road record is pretty awful. this next road game is a must win. and if we can bring them back to the garden and beat them again, that will help wash away the bad taste left from this one.

Am i the only one that dont like the idea of us boosting our win column each season from beating Lottery teams (Philly/Minny/Kings/Nets/Suns)? The thing that bothers me the most about us beating poor playing lottery-teams are our players get to full their stat sheet.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'm not anti-Melo, but this is really frustrating seeing him play like this. I don't get it. Last season, when the team was playing good, he was looking and finding his teammates. After that good run when they were disappointing, he still didn't iso too much and was getting his teammates involved. He truly CHANGED. Now with a fresh team, a lot more talent, progressing and winning, he's probably worse with iso than I've ever seen him on the Knicks. Why is he doing this? It's ok once in a while, nobody's perfect, but this is just ridiculous. I don't want him to not be confident, but the predictable ball-stopping is just bad team ball.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I am so tired of watching the same old thing every year from Melo that its pathetic.The guy thinks its all about himself and thats it.He clearly doesn't care what his team,coach thinks or he would play TEAM BALL.Seriously how much more do we have to take of this crap? Im glad that the fans at the game have started booing him even thow it won't change a thing.It was also nice hearing the Knick announcers call him selfish b/c thats exactly what he is.

There's no more excuses for this guy now b/c he has the players around him that can score.KP and DRose has been hot a number of times but what does Melo do? He forgets their even out there and won't pass them the ball when they have the hot hand.I don't know how people can't see this and thinks Melo does nothing wrong.He is the problem and he will continue to be the problem until he leaves New York.

tiger0330

Legend
K
I'm not anti-Melo, but this is really frustrating seeing him play like this. I don't get it. Last season, when the team was playing good, he was looking and finding his teammates. After that good run when they were disappointing, he still didn't iso too much and was getting his teammates involved. He truly CHANGED. Now with a fresh team, a lot more talent, progressing and winning, he's probably worse with iso than I've ever seen him on the Knicks. Why is he doing this? It's ok once in a while, nobody's perfect, but this is just ridiculous. I don't want him to not be confident, but the predictable ball-stopping is just bad team ball.
The Knicks need a tougher coach, Hornacek seems like too nice a guy. I want a guy that will get in a guys face and tell Melo look I don't want you walking the ball up, it allows the D to get setup, give the ball to Derek or BJ or make an outlet pass. Let the playmakers make the plays.

and1

Rotation player
a lot of stuff to chew on with these posts. kiyaman, i understand your point about beating lottery teams, but the fact of the matter is those are the teams we absolutely should beat. what bothers me about beating those teams is that, at least historically, it seems to take away our sense of urgency when we next face a team with a similar record to ours. it's as though they feel they can rest on their laurels even though they haven't really proved all that much. the thunder were a good example of that. that was the only game that night that didn't have a point spread. they were even. they knew the thunder were going to be physical, but they probably figured that their firepower alone would be able to win them the game. but they were wrong.
we do have a lot of road games coming up and it's pretty clear we're not performing well in those. this stretch coming up is a big time opportunity to change that around. they absolutely have to approach those games with the mindset that the season is on the line. i'm getting the feeling (it's more like hoping honestly) that the way they lost this game to the thunder was the final straw and that they will approach these games coming up with a much better and more confident attitude.
i'm not a melo hater, but he definitely has to learn to stop taking things so personal and learn to put the team first. he's shown signs of it before, he has to apply it again and continue applying it. roberson was all up in his mud, and melo felt that he HAD to prove he could score on this guy, even if it meant ignoring his team mates for a series of possessions. he has to stop doing that. he finished the game with 4 assists, i believe, which shows that he does look for his team mates, especially the bigs when they're rolling to the basket. he did that a lot last season with RoLo and he's doing it again this year mostly with hernangomez. but when a defender consistently gets the better of him, it's like he just puts the blinders on and forgets everything else. he has to stop doing that. i don't think hornacek, or ANY other coach for that matter will be able to make that happen. that's something that his team mates are going to have to do. freeze HIM out when he starts acting up like that. don't pass him the ball. easier said than done of course, but i really feel that would be the only way to get the message through in those kinds of situations.
hopefully holiday's shoulder is feeling better, and hopefully our Eurokids show up to play with a little more moxy during this stretch. this is a perfect opportunity to turn things around.

Kiyaman

Legend
a lot of stuff to chew on with these posts. kiyaman, i understand your point about beating lottery teams, but the fact of the matter is those are the teams we absolutely should beat. what bothers me about beating those teams is that, at least historically, it seems to take away our sense of urgency when we next face a team with a similar record to ours. it's as though they feel they can rest on their laurels even though they haven't really proved all that much. the thunder were a good example of that. that was the only game that night that didn't have a point spread. they were even. they knew the thunder were going to be physical, but they probably figured that their firepower alone would be able to win them the game. but they were wrong.
we do have a lot of road games coming up and it's pretty clear we're not performing well in those. this stretch coming up is a big time opportunity to change that around. they absolutely have to approach those games with the mindset that the season is on the line. i'm getting the feeling (it's more like hoping honestly) that the way they lost this game to the thunder was the final straw and that they will approach these games coming up with a much better and more confident attitude.
i'm not a melo hater, but he definitely has to learn to stop taking things so personal and learn to put the team first. he's shown signs of it before, he has to apply it again and continue applying it. roberson was all up in his mud, and melo felt that he HAD to prove he could score on this guy, even if it meant ignoring his team mates for a series of possessions. he has to stop doing that. he finished the game with 4 assists, i believe, which shows that he does look for his team mates, especially the bigs when they're rolling to the basket. he did that a lot last season with RoLo and he's doing it again this year mostly with hernangomez. but when a defender consistently gets the better of him, it's like he just puts the blinders on and forgets everything else. he has to stop doing that. i don't think hornacek, or ANY other coach for that matter will be able to make that happen. that's something that his team mates are going to have to do. freeze HIM out when he starts acting up like that. don't pass him the ball. easier said than done of course, but i really feel that would be the only way to get the message through in those kinds of situations.
hopefully holiday's shoulder is feeling better, and hopefully our Eurokids show up to play with a little more moxy during this stretch. this is a perfect opportunity to turn things around.

Melo last 5 games are a great example of ISO-Melo career ... shooting 38% .. Melo took 113 shots to make 44, Melo totaled 12 assist in the 5 games plus average 37 minutes of playing time in each 5 games.

We should have a 10-7 record if ISO-Melo didnt shoot 11-44 in the last 2 games

dk7th

Benchwarmer
something is wrong with melo. he has regressed from last year. he played 25 superb games last season as an all-round player for the first time in his career. where is that melo this season? he should be averaging 4 assists a game and sharing the ball like paul pierce or paul george. this could be a great passing frontcourt with melo and noah as starters and hernangomez and o'quinn off the bench.

and1

Rotation player
i'm not worried about melo's shooting. it'll come back. i'm just hoping that he continues to move the ball around like he did tonight against the wolves and not get caught up in the stubborn 1 on 1 bs. if he keeps playing the way he played against the wolves and finds his shot again we'll be straight.