Maybe he's not a leader, but he is needed.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I think if Marbury wants to play the 2, he should have been forthcoming with the Knicks in that respect. He is a PG. Pass first, score second. If he wants to score that's fine. Let's be honest, how many times since Marbury's been here have we seen him hold the ball too long? A PG is supposed find offense for his teammates. He constantly fails to hit open targets because of his selfishness. Notice how everyone thinks the Knicks would be better off Marburyless?(read my other post, link to Marbury should go story). We need a PG that's We first instead of Me first...Plain and simple. Guys can't get into rhythm when they have seen a pass in 3 quarters. I think Marbury...when its all said an done will be essentially Gary Payton, without the defense. He's strikes me as that kid that doesn't get the concept of sharing. Kids will still play in the same sand box, but in spite of the selfish, spoiled-brat that happens to be inhabiting the same sandbox.

NYKnicks15

Starter
there is nothing wrong with a shooting point guard. especially when there is truly no one to pass it to. now if we had eddy curry or shaq for god sakes in the post and he didnt pass id be pissed. if we had kobe bryant or michael redd at the 2 and didnt pass id be pissed. BUT how many times have we seen him pass the ball away to crawford on an open shot? how many times have we seen him and kurt hook eachother up with the pick and roll or him feed the ball to nazr in the paint? Honestly he does it all and you cant deny it.

Who would you like him to pass it to more? Inconsistent Crawford? who still gets and avg of 20 ppg? or Nazr? who when wasnt in his slump and missing easy baskets or injured was averaging 12 ppg? Kurt who also hits that 16 footer consistently and gets 12 ppg? We have to face it. it really isnt marburys fault. and dont get me wrong he does occassionally hold the ball too long. but you cant listen to reporters opinions because half of them havent even played a day of ball in their lives....For the most part when he does take alot of shots its because he needs to take the game over because were down 15-20 points in the 3rd/4th. AND he makes more than half!! I dont see the problem aslong as he puts the ball in the whole and DOES feed people the ball with his 10 (thats what its been lately) assists per game.

I'm not a Marbury cult follower and no I havent drank his "koolaid" BUT I just think everyone needs to watch a game all the way through. See how many times he feeds ppl the ball or passes it away....and honestly the only time hes cost us a game is when he DIDNT take the last shot and has given Crawford or Tim that opportunity...Im going to go out on a limb and say if he wasnt here and was injured or something we wouldnt have a chance in any 48 minutes, 4 quartered game.

WiL8000

Rotation player
I agree with NYKnicks15. Marbury has no outlets on this team. He still averages somewhere around 8 assists a game however. To say he doesn't share the ball is just simply not true. If this team had some fluidity, Marbury's passing ability would excel.
I see potential in Crawford, but it's all in the mental aspect to his game. Ariza and Sweetney are also good young players to hold on to this summer. These guys need to play together for awhile to gel. No doubt this season is a bust, but the one thing the Knicks can gain is an identity, by playing together and building some chemistry the remainder of the season.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I'm sorry fellas, I still don't agree. When the Knicks were winning and led the atlantic, these same guys were performing and hitting shots. As soon as some of the guys cooled off, was when Marbury kept looking for his own offense first. This is habitual. That's why he's continually on the move via trade. He constantly reverting to starbury, the one man show. Guys can't make shots when they don't get the ball in rhythm, or get the first quarter off. How do you stay focused when you constantly get nary a look. He can complain he has no help, but he is in a hell of his own creation. He stifled this offense, and that's what KT called him ouit. We've all seen Nazr, KT, and others open, and a horrible shot get thrown up by Marbury. Ridiculous. You can say there's nobody there. If Marbury feels that way, he should try playing 5 on 1. Sounds kind of ridiculous, but that's what been happening lately anyways.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I agree with this:
When the Knicks were winning and led the atlantic, these same guys were performing and hitting shots.
Exactly the point we are trying to make - many of those games Marbury never went off on any team - he played his team ball and the wins were coming.
When the knicks got hit with injuries and the losses started to pile up, players lost confidence in their game - they lost that mental focus and it was only a matter of time that Marbury realized to give the knicks a fighting chance he had to take on the offensive burden himself and be that one man show.
The best example of when marbury tried to play team ball during this injury prone stretch was in Cleveland when the knicks were killed. He attempted only 6 shots, shot 50% but had 12 assists in that game - what happened? the team shot 39% from the field
http://www.nba.com/games/20050108/NYKCLE/boxscore.html
the knicks got decimated 104-79.
Now if marbury took over the offensive load in that game, as he has been doing, we might have still lost but by a much more respectable margin.

The problem with that tho and the reason why the knicks have lost so many games in the dying minutes of a game, is because marbury had to do it all on his own for 45mins and then he is so exhausted in crunch time, he has no gas left in his tank.
Once the knicks come back injury free - the knicks and marbury will revert back to playing ball that was winning them games.