Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Phoenix Suns 9:00 pm 12/13/2016 [Game#25]

mafra

Legend
KOQ is hammered.... no call.... unbelievable. KP was fouled earlier in OT too with no call. 23rd rebound for PHO.... a shame refs about to steal what was almost a great win from NY. Down 1 with a minute left. NY ball.

mafra

Legend
MElo swish.... Bledsoe responds.... Melo hounded. Pushed and shoved. Airball. No foul called. Unbelievable. Refs stole this from NY in OT.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Too many mistakes, way too many mistakes when we could have closed the game several times, both late in the fourth and in the ot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
A shame.... is it possible to lose a game 3 times? Bad coaching by Horn by not drawing up a play to get a quick three.... down 3 and we let PHO foul us before we shoot. Still, after making the first KOQ missed second shot perfectly but LT missed the putback.

Knicks were awful for 3 quarters.... had a 6 point lead late in the fourth.... had 3 chances to win it final seconds.... had a lead in OT.... still lost.

they put themselves in position for refs to steal the game and the officials jumped at the chance to screw Melo. Multiple touchy fouls sent PHO to FT line late in fourth and OT.... the foul KP out and ignore a blatant offensive foul and allow PHO to mug severally knicks.... No way Tucker can guard and physical push and shove Durant, Hardin, Curry, and the other stars. They might as well been wearing football pads.... down 1.... Melo earned 2 FTs but they weren't awarded.... NYK lose.

in a way, the way Melo is officiated, has really impeded his ability to close games. You almost can't blame him for chucking long shots bc at least when he shoots from the outside the refs won't ignore a defender pushing and shiving melo.

mafra

Legend
Too many mistakes, way too many mistakes when we could have closed the game several times, both late in the fourth and in the ot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baker missing layups was a killer. Nothing was worse than the two turnover BJ was involved in. They were awful. BJ had some ugly turnovers in LA too.

I think the decision to stick with Baker over Lee down the stretch was a killer as well.

mafra

Legend
Bottom Line: Melo was 3-15 and had as many points as Tyson Chandler. Melo had 4 shots at end of regulation and in OT (final minute) and was 1-4 (with 1 or 2 turnovers). This is why we lost the game. I don't care we played a bad team.... it was our 6th game in 8 days and we in middle of a road trip. This team showed a lot that they came back and almost won despite the schedule and getting nothing from melo and Rose.

the shame of it is we almost won the first 3 games of a WC trip (first time since 1974 a NYK team accomplished that).... and now it looks like 3-2 is best we can do on this trip. We would've signed up for that 2 weeks ago.... But Inreally thought after this weekend we would go 4-1.

mafra

Legend
Yet another example of why the NBA is borderline unwatchable, and why reruns of Colombo get better ratings than most games.... just go watch the final 2 minutes of OT of NYK-PHO

after KP hit a three to put NY up 108-105.... refs decide winner with their whistle....

Bledsoe drives and KP goes for the block, Bledsoe uses arm to keep KP away.... barely any contact on body, KP's arm way over Bledsoe's head and gets ball (again, no contact).... but the penetrating G who initiates contact gets the call.

Sinks 2 FTs, and the Knicks leading scorer fouls out

Next possession, 108-107 NY with 69 seconds left.... KOQ, who had a great night (22 points and 14 rebounds), puts a great move on Tyson Chandler.... KOQ dribbles from elbow to middle of paint, does a fake, and TC steps back.... KOQ fakes shot, then leans to shoot as TC is jumping fwd.... Chandler jumps into KOQ.... lots of body contact.... no call.

Chandler basically bulldozed the Knicks center.... but the big doesn't get the call.

If KP's block isn't called and KOQ gets the two free throws... it's 110-105 NYK with 1 minute left. Instead, NY loses 113-111.

brutal!

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Yet another example of why the NBA is borderline unwatchable, and why reruns of Colombo get better ratings than most games.... just go watch the final 2 minutes of OT of NYK-PHO

after KP hit a three to put NY up 108-105.... refs decide winner with their whistle....

Bledsoe drives and KP goes for the block, Bledsoe uses arm to keep KP away.... barely any contact on body, KP's arm way over Bledsoe's head and gets ball (again, no contact).... but the penetrating G who initiates contact gets the call.

Sinks 2 FTs, and the Knicks leading scorer fouls out

Next possession, 108-107 NY with 69 seconds left.... KOQ, who had a great night (22 points and 14 rebounds), puts a great move on Tyson Chandler.... KOQ dribbles from elbow to middle of paint, does a fake, and TC steps back.... KOQ fakes shot, then leans to shoot as TC is jumping fwd.... Chandler jumps into KOQ.... lots of body contact.... no call.

Chandler basically bulldozed the Knicks center.... but the big doesn't get the call.

If KP's block isn't called and KOQ gets the two free throws... it's 110-105 NYK with 1 minute left. Instead, NY loses 113-111.

brutal!
Lol Columbo reruns get higher ratings than the NBA.

Thanks for the input in the game thread Mafra. Great posts that give you a feel of the game action, going to watch tonight since I missed it so I want to see how bad the refs were. Though, the FT attempts weren't lopsided in favor of the Suns like it usually is, we actually got more FTs than them.

DRose out again with that back, he's not going to play the rest of the WC trip after they rushed him back and he reinjured it. That's a big problem for the Knicks if he doesn't play.

paris401

Starter
DRose out again with that back, he's not going to play the rest of the WC trip after they rushed him back and he reinjured it. That's a big problem for the Knicks if he doesn't play.

even a bigger problem for DRose's chance for a big contract...

mafra

Legend
Lol Columbo reruns get higher ratings than the NBA.

Thanks for the input in the game thread Mafra. Great posts that give you a feel of the game action, going to watch tonight since I missed it so I want to see how bad the refs were. Though, the FT attempts weren't lopsided in favor of the Suns like it usually is, we actually got more FTs than them.

As is always the case, some calls are made and other missed.... but when you get to the sequence where KP fouls out with 90 seconds left in OT.... 108-105 game.... when you see the foul they called.... watch the very next possession, where TC clobbers KOQ.

In a close game, late in OT, after fouling out the game's leading scorer bc of what appeared to be slight contact.... then turn around and ignore a blatant foul, with lots of contact, is what bothers the fans. Just be consistent..... that turned out to be the difference.... Awarding PHO 2 FTs but denying NYK 2 FTs.... 4 point swing in a 3 point game.

would love to hear your opinion after you watch it.

tiger0330

Legend
As is always the case, some calls are made and other missed.... but when you get to the sequence where KP fouls out with 90 seconds left in OT.... 108-105 game.... when you see the foul they called.... watch the very next possession, where TC clobbers KOQ.

In a close game, late in OT, after fouling out the game's leading scorer bc of what appeared to be slight contact.... then turn around and ignore a blatant foul, with lots of contact, is what bothers the fans. Just be consistent..... that turned out to be the difference.... Awarding PHO 2 FTs but denying NYK 2 FTs.... 4 point swing in a 3 point game.

would love to hear your opinion after you watch it.
Bledsoe hit the deck on that foul on KP, the foul could have very well been charged to Quinn but I thing Bledsoe on the floor probably made the ref call it. Bledsoe also could have been called for a pushoff because he did extend his arm into KP on his drive. The no foul call on TC, I wouldn't say TC clobbered Quinn because it was Quinn that stepped into TC on his shot but you see calls like that all the time, where the shooter jumps into a defender to draw the foul.

Knicks should have won this, KP missed that 12ft'er and that bank shot at the end that would have won this in regulation, Melo did nothing and the Knicks couldn't stop Bledsoe in OT. If DRose is out for an extended period of time the Knicks need to get a PG because Baker is not that guy.

mafra

Legend
NBA admitted the refs missed the TC foul on KOQ in its 2-minute summary report. It states that TC left his feet and jumped forward and made significant contact with shooter's body. The report upheld the Bledsoe call.

anytime a guard pump fakes behind 3-point arc, and the defender leaves his feet (even if defender jumps straight up), if the shooter jumps into the defender, no matter if he's even close to shooting, a foul is called.

here we had KOQ make some good moves working his way into the paint and using moves to get defender off balance.... his ability to shoot is clearly impeded.... but he didn't get the call.

1) we always encourage guys to drive and force contact to get to the FT line.
2) unlike a guard 30 feet from the hoop feigning a shot attempt, KOQ was leaning in to jump towards basket and TC leaped into him.

what bothered me most is the sequence of plays, back to back, where the G gets the call
but the C doesn't. That's my biggest beef. Knicks had plenty of chances to win. They put themselves in the position to allow the refs to serve as their executioner.

i thought Baker played well for a guy called into duty after being glued to the bench. Just felt like we stuck with him too long, especially bc lee looked good in the game.