Game thread: New York Knicks @ Denver Nuggets 9:00 pm 12/17/2016 [Game 27]

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Emergency game thread, I am away and not able to create a proper one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playa2

Benchwarmer
Carmelo Anthony returns to the roots of his NBA career on Saturday night. Whether he will be in uniform is uncertain.
Anthony's New York Knicks (14-12) wrap up their five-game road trip against the Denver Nuggets but the star forward's status is questionable going into the game. He was a late scratch in Thursday's 103-90 loss at Golden State due to a right shoulder injury.
Before the injury, Anthony had talked about sitting out games to rest, a practice that has gained popularity among NBA coaches in recent years. Earlier this week the reigning champs, the Cleveland Cavaliers, didn't bring stars LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love on a one-game road trip to Memphis.
"I think everyone needs a rest day, to be honest with you," Anthony told Newsday. "I think if you're an NBA player, professional athlete, you need a rest day. It's a matter of when you take it, how you take it. The decision is not just mine, it's a collective as a whole. Whatever is the best situation for that individual."
Derrick Rose (lower back injury) also missed the game against the Warriors. New York trailed by as many as 25 before making it a respectable score in the fourth quarter.
Nuggets fans hope Anthony suits up for his one trip to Pepsi Center, where he cut his professional teeth. He was the third overall pick in 2003 and helped Denver (10-16) reach the playoffs in each of his seven full seasons with the team and the Western Conference finals in 2009.
The Nuggets traded him to New York in February 2011 in a 10-player, three-team blockbuster deal. Only Anthony remains with the Knicks while Denver still has Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler on the roster from the trade.
Not only are they on the roster, they are, for the time being, starting together. Coach Michael Malone had been bringing Chandler off the bench when Gallinari is healthy, but after Denver's recent struggles he had them on the floor together from the opening tip.
Malone also put Nikola Jokic back at center to start and Gary Harris at shooting guard in his return to the lineup.
It worked out well. Gallinari scored 27 points and Wilson Chandler 17 as Denver scored 38 points in the first quarter against Portland on Thursday night and never trailed in beating the Trail Blazers by 12.
"Those guys responded," Malone said after the game.
The Nuggets snapped a three-game home losing streak with the victory and want to build on that with a game against the Knicks. New York is 2-2 on the road trip, but if Anthony and Rose do not play it will make it tougher to finish the Western Conference swing with a winning mark.
Anthony said he hurt his shoulder against the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, and when he went through drills Thursday morning the pain was too much.
"When I was doing workouts and not being full strength, there was no way I could get out there (Thursday) night," Anthony told Newsday.
Rose missed two games last week with the back injury and aggravated it in Phoenix on Tuesday. Before the game against Golden State he sounded hopeful he could return Saturday.
"Just got to be smart about it," he told Newsday. "It's frustrating as hell, but just have to be smart about it. It's improving, but it's not where I want it to be, so I'm looking for hopefully playing in Denver."

tiger0330

Legend
Both Melo and DRose participated at shootaround but Horn said DRose said he felt tightness so my guess is Melo plays and DRose doesn't.

Chasson Randle went 9-11 from 3 with Westchester, the kid can flat out score the ball. Guys don't want to bring him up because he's a scorer and not a pass first PG and I say to hell with that if he can add to the 3 pt firepower in today's NBA game. If you don't want to cut N'Dour or Baker to make room for him, cut Sasha then.

tiger0330

Legend
Another skilled big man in Jokic, flipping an alley oop with his back to the basket to Faried with the hammer for a 22-11 lead.

tiger0330

Legend
12-3 run keyed by WHG but Knicks still down 44-36.

Nugs get the lead back to 14 with a 10-2 run with 3s by Gallo, WC and EM.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo almost gets stripped by Gary Harris but gets the ball back and tosses up an 18 ft prayer and cuts the DEN lead to 8 62-54 at the half. Melo carried the team the 1st half but he needs help from KP and others to get the W.

tiger0330

Legend
CLee shooting 47% from 3 but you wouldn't know it when he missed 2 consecutive 2s in the paint. His last 3 though gets the Knicks within 5. 66-61.

tiger0330

Legend
Noah looks flat out awful. Got stripped, got called for illegal screen, missed layups, if it wasn't for Horn giving him minutes to keep his confidence up, he'd be riding the bench for most teams.

tiger0330

Legend
Nugs killing us in the paint. Harris goes coast to coast for a dunk after a steal off Melo and Faried reverse dunks. 48-24 adv pts in the oaint.

tiger0330

Legend
Nugs open up 18 pt lead on Bartons straight on 3. Hate to say it with 3 mins left in the 3rd but that was the dagger for DEN.

Broadway

All Star
Some decent surprises on this team, but still hard to watch on most nights. #kporzee having a better yr than any Nugget thus far. This team needs to call up Chason Randle to see what he can do, Jennings is and has always been dreadful. Too bad for Noah but Thibs/Bulls milked him for all his worth

mafra

Legend
DEN scored 96 points in three quarters.... KP 6-17.... BJ & Lee a combined 4-17.... team is clearly different w/out Rose. Kind of shocked KOQ doesn't play. Is he hurting? Wire to wire blowout in DEN makes the 2-3 WC trip feel
even worse. Melo's 10-14 not nearly enough.

mafra

Legend
I thought Lee was a good defensive player? Words can't describe how bad the perimeter defense has been tonight. Mudiay 9-12 shooting having a solid game. Making BJ look bad.

Hard to evaluate what this 3 game losing streak means.... like most thought before the season, all
boils down to health for NYK.... If Rose plays 65+ games this team will
battle for a top 4 spot.... if not, and he misses 20+ games.... this team
nattles for the 6-8 seed.