Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Milwaukee Bucks 7:30 pm 1/4/2017 [Game#35]

tiger0330

Legend
Just read that the last play was drawn up for JET and not for Giannis. He took the shot because JET wasn't open. The kid is a stud, we had his brother, wish he was as good as the Greek Freak.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
do anybody share my thought that Rose is not happy for some reason? you don't feel that he is related to any of the players except Noah...... he show no emotion, could not see him talk or pump fists or do anything with any of the players....... I always feel that he is not playing with his team, he is playing with a team that he doesn't like but he has no choice..... could be wrong though...

tiger0330

Legend
Confirms Mafra's point again about the refs incompentcy. The rule is you can not dribble with your back or side facing the defender for 5 secs below the FT line extended out to the sidelines or it's a violation. Ante should have been called for that and for that foul on DRose on the inbounds play. Knicks got jabbed out of one, they have a replay center in NJ and all those cameras, yet the officiating is worse than I can remember. I want to see the NBA 2 minute report today.

mafra

Legend
It's like I say, we play 82 road games. In and of itself, each call or non -call isn't what's most atrocious.... as the saying goes,
"somit gies"..... but the aggregate..... the totality of it is what's really frustrating:

NY is home..... MIL shoots 13 FT ton0 for NY down the stretch.... no 5 seconds on Greek Freak, no foul for Rose, they call foul on Noah....

too often in these close games, there are like 5-6 50/50 calls that all go against NY. Sometimes you throw your hands up and ask "when will we catch a break!"

mafra

Legend
Let's remember: Greek Freak is 6"11' and he mugged Rose. For that to be a no-call
but for Monroe to get FT for the minimal contact Noah had....
Borderline criminal.

Kiyaman

Legend
Giannis Antetokounmpo hit the winning shot in Madison Square Garden!
Never let the best player beat you. Giannis is the only poison. He got the ball with 7 seconds left, when he goes into his shot, its 2 seconds left, Lee and Rose had an opportunity to double at that point. Especially Rose because he was guarding the rookie Brogdon..By the time Giannis kicks it out, there isn't much time for a shot from the others ..
Truth of it all were Rose poor inbounding the ball in the final seconds lead to a Knicks turn over instead of a Knicks win.

Come on Mafra when everyone was expecting a blowout w/o KP and to play like they did I think you have to take positives out of the game, I know I did. If they can play like this consistently with KP in the lineup we may be the team we were before that Xmas game against the Celts.

I couldn't find much positives to take out the game because the most important quarter of any sports game are the final quarter. Our 4th quarter performance has really went down hill to poor offense n poor-poor defense since having the great 4th quarter coach Zen Phil Jackson as our president of operation. We learned nothing from our best 4th quarter performance season in 2012-13 from having ex-Knick Jason Kidd running the 4th qtr. show.
Last night we got outscored in the 4th quarter 32-17 .. the Bucks started the 4th qtr. going on a 14-2 run (poor coaching with no 4th qtr. strategy to win games.). We showed for the 100th time our starters are not FINISHERS they do not provide stops on defense or strong screens on offense, nor do they box-out for rebounds in the final quarter of a game.

tiger0330

Legend
Giannis Antetokounmpo hit the winning shot in Madison Square Garden!
Never let the best player beat you.
Giannis is the only poison. He got the ball with 7 seconds left, when he goes into his shot, its 2 seconds left, Lee and Rose had an opportunity to double at that point. Especially Rose because he was guarding the rookie Brogdon..By the time Giannis kicks it out, there isn't much time for a shot from the others ..
Truth of it all were Rose poor inbounding the ball in the final seconds lead to a Knicks turn over instead of a Knicks win.

I couldn't find much positives to take out the game because the most important quarter of any sports game are the final quarter. Our 4th quarter performance has really went down hill to poor offense n poor-poor defense since having the great 4th quarter coach Zen Phil Jackson as our president of operation. We learned nothing from our best 4th quarter performance season in 2012-13 from having ex-Knick Jason Kidd running the 4th qtr. show.
Last night we got outscored in the 4th quarter 32-17 .. the Bucks started the 4th qtr. going on a 14-2 run (poor coaching with no 4th qtr. strategy to win games.). We showed for the 100th time our starters are not FINISHERS they do not provide stops on defense or strong screens on offense, nor do they box-out for rebounds in the final quarter of a game.
I did not like the defense on that play. I was wondering why the Knicks didn't send a double on him and let him back into the basket for 8 seconds to get his shot off. Noah was ready to help but he saw his man cut to the basket and he went to cover him, Giannis said the play was called to go to JET and I guess if JET's man left to double Giannis he would have gave the ball up and passed it to him. JET had a couple of 3s in the game so he can ice a game but like you say I'd rather see JET do it than your star Giannis esp a shot that wasn't that difficult, 16 ft step back.

I liked the effort and Horn said the same saying the guys were tired when they came into the locker room. Horn also said what I believe if they can put forth that kind of effort for the rest of the season they can win some games and be competitive. Xmas they were on the cusp of getting the 3rd seed if they could have beaten the Celts, they can get back to that level with the talent they have on this team.

Broadway

All Star
Confirms Mafra's point again about the refs incompentcy. The rule is you can not dribble with your back or side facing the defender for 5 secs below the FT line extended out to the sidelines or it's a violation. Ante should have been called for that and for that foul on DRose on the inbounds play. Knicks got jabbed out of one, they have a replay center in NJ and all those cameras, yet the officiating is worse than I can remember. I want to see the NBA 2 minute report today.

Here's the last 2min report of our game. Do fans look at this every night and see which games show up night-to-night...something tells me they don't

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/01/L2M-MIL-NYK-01-04-17.pdf

tiger0330

Legend
NBA came out and judged both the DRose no call and Greek Freaks 5 sec. violation were correctly officiated. GF touched Rose on his hand as he handled the ball and the hand is considered part of the ball. GF didn't use 5 seconds after receiving the ball and shooting.

UPDATE: Last shot by Ante was a 5 second violation, Knicks should have gotten possession back. Damn why didnt that go to replay.

Only incorrect call or no call in the last 2 mins was a Noah no-call grabbing Monroe.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
NBA came out and judged both the DRose no call and Greek Freaks 5 sec. violation were correctly officiated. GF touched Rose on his hand as he handled the ball and the hand is considered part of the ball. GF didn't use 5 seconds after receiving the ball and shooting.

Only incorrect call or no call in the last 2 mins was a Noah no-call grabbing Monroe.

Both calls could've been made but they weren't absolute and clear cut as fans make it out to be every time we play. Typically you won't see those calls made in those situations whether it's our Knicks playing or not. Remember just a week ago the league came out and admitted they got the call wrong on Jefferson tripping Durant resulting in loss for Warriors? In that game Warriors had a huge lead and crumbled refs had really nothing to do with their loss.

Come on guys get an emotional grip, this happens almost every night and guaranteed every week.

Please use the link(I bumped the thread for a reason it's a good source if utilized) and a reference to help keep cool. Oh and know this, teams that are usually bad/mediocre don't get benefit of the doubt because of their porous and inconsistent play throughout games. Teams that give full effort on most nights probably will.

Our fortunes will change as a franchise when we start making better decisions as a whole, and that's top to bottom. Refs are the least of our problems at the moment.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Both calls could've been made but they weren't absolute and clear cut as fans make it out to be every time we play. Typically you won't see those calls made in those situation whether it's our Knicks playing or not. Remember just a week ago the league came out and admitted they got the call wrong on Jefferson tripping Durant resulting in loss for Warriors? In that game Warriors had a huge lead and crumbled refs had really nothing to do with their loss.

Come on guys get an emotional grip, this happens almost every night and guaranteed every week.

Please use the link(I bumped the thread for a reason it's a good source if utilized) and a reference to help keep cool. Oh and know this, teams that are usually bad/mediocre don't get benefit of the doubt because of their porous and inconsistent play throughout games. Teams that give full effort on most nights probably will.

Our fortunes will change as a franchise when we start making better decisions as a whole, and that's top to bottom. Refs are the least of our problems at the moment.
I stand corrected, saw on ESPN that the NBA said it was a 5 sec violation, confused me because they didn't note it as an incorrect no call. But they described it as GF received the ball at with 7.8 secs left and released the shot wirh 2.2 secs which would mean he used 5.6 secs to back down LT, a violation which would gave given us possession.

Broadway

All Star
I stand corrected, saw on ESPN that the NBA said it was a 5 sec violation, confused me because they didn't note it as an incorrect no call. But they described it as GF received the ball at with 7.8 secs left and released the shot wirh 2.2 secs which would mean he used 5.6 secs to back down LT, a violation which would gave given us possession.

It's catch 22. By pure technicality they missed it(which I so much as admitted they did, hence saying " could've been called/not as clear cut") but they aren't going to see that every time. You could also say the back down dribble to release of shot on a manual count...dollars to donuts, will result in a non call 99 out of 100 times.

The main issue "it never should have come to this". Never leave games in the hands of "well known incompetency". Also they still noted in the report CNC as in "Correct Non Call" as in our naked eyes will do this more times than the losing side would prefer. Notice their reply on Twitter to Begley...

Simply put we have to become a better basketball team to avoid these situations...crying about it doesn't change our win loss column.

Did anyone recall this yr how the refs treated the Nuggets on an end of game situation with the Grizzlies, even after reviewing the play and still got it wrong? They've admitted being wrong after results at least 5 times this yr and guess what, they weren't all Knick games.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

Didn't mean for this to be a double post

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It's catch 22. By pure technicality they missed it(which I so much as admitted they did, hence saying " could've been called/not as clear cut") but they aren't going to see that every time. You could also say the back down dribble to release of shot on a manual count...dollars to donuts, will result in a non call 99 out of 100 times.

The main issue "it never should have come to this". Never leave games in the hands of "well known incompetency". Also they still noted in the report CNC as in "Correct Non Call" as in our naked eyes will do this more times than the losing side would prefer. Notice their reply on Twitter to Begley...

Simply put we have to become a better basketball to avoid these situations...crying about it doesn't change our win loss column.

Did anyone recall this yr how the refs treated the Nuggets on an end of game situation with the Grizzlies, even after reviewing the play and still got it wrong? They've admitted being wrong after results at least 5 times this yr and guess what, they weren't all Knick games.
That's a call that should go to replay just like an out of bounds play or a shot against the buzzer. Hard to judge .6 of a sec on the floor if it was a violation or not, only way is to get it on video and use a stop watch. That's a missed call that cost us a game, they need to change the rules and make a coaches challenge like they do in football where any situation can go to replay that is a game decider. Let the coaches have one challenge a game during the last 2 minutes and the margin of difference in the score being no more than 5 pts.