Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Atlanta Hawks 1:00 pm 1/16/2017 [Game#42]

tiger0330

Legend
Hardaway another questionable trade by PJ. He's in the Hawks rotation despite having some bumps in the road with them but they had patience and think enough of his shooting to trade Korver.

tiger0330

Legend
Here we go. 1 min left. Knicks have the ball after a dead ball timeout. Who steps up, Hawks have to figure Melo gets the ball.

Kiyaman

Legend
Rose get hammered driving to the hoop .. Melo get rebound to take a open shot n missed .. Hawks get rebound to win game ...... SMH

Playa2

Benchwarmer
No real creativity at crunch time, the entire Hawks team was able to go after Rose and whack him in the head.
And the streak goes on.

tiger0330

Legend
The answer to who hits the big shot Dennis Schroeder 3 pt to win it and a wild sequence on the last play where the Knicks could not get the ball in on second chances by Melo and a tip by Noah. DRose was fouled on that last possession, a heart breaker.

Broadway

All Star
Rose got fouled, no question he did(maybe twice)...

I'll say it again

"DO NOT PLAY GAMES WITHIN A POSSESSION TO EEK OUT A WIN"

It usually won't end well

tiger0330

Legend
Hardaway another questionable trade by PJ. He's in the Hawks rotation despite having some bumps in the road with them but they had patience and think enough of his shooting to trade Korver.
Schroeder complimenting Hardaway and his game saying what I said about him his rookie year, not just a shooter but a guy that can drive it and play above the rim. I think we're going to be saying the same about Randle, might not be a star but he'll be a sniper for some team.

mafra

Legend
No complaints.... Knicks played hard. Unfortunately, NYK play 82 road games. Rose was fouled twice on game-winning drive attempt.... sefolosha hit Rose on head from behind and Milsap jumped into him. No call,
of course. It was like that all afternoon....

as I always say, I don't mind if they let the players play just as long as the calls are consistent. They called a ton of reach in or touch fouls on NY but allowed ATL to play physical.

refs called about 7 offensive fouls on NY and on 4 of them ATL defender was shuffling feet to the side.... simply amazing. On top of that, ATL got away with a ton of forearm push off shoves.

anyway, I'm all in for the lottery so this loss doesn't bother me. Besides, after Rose was hammered Melo got the rebound but instead of going up strong for game winning dunk.... Melo instead attempted a fade away jumper (clanked off the rim). So NY had their chance to win (and they allowed ATL to hit the go ahead 3 on previous possession). Still, if you watched the game.... NY wins by 10-15 points if not for the lopsided officiating.

tiger0330

Legend
It was an entertaining game and I'm going to be positive about it despite the loss. We saw enough from Baker and Kuz to continue this new lineup and Noah rebounded his ass off today so Horn won't give up on him. I might be an optimist but I think the Knicks can still turn this around when KP gets back.

mafra

Legend
I think it's clear we could be a 30 win team starting Baker and Kuz and playing Holiday and KOQ. So, if that's all we are anyway with Melo then each loss right now is positive.... the only way to convince Melo to accept a trade is for this to bottom out....

and Melo is playing good enough, and only has 2 years remaining (with an opt out) that a team like Bos or LAV would be willing to take him on. Heck, even Rose, Lee, & KOQ might have trade value.

Noah
KP
Kuz
Holiday
Baker

get a lottery pick this year plus assets from trades. Clinging to being average by keeping Melo or Rose is a disaster. Let GSW and CLE battle this year and next and we should be rebuilding so we are ready to go for it come 2018 and beyond.

mafra

Legend
On a side note: Melo hit a contested 3 at end of second quarter, off an inbounds pass with less than 2 seconds on the clock. At end of third quarter, he hit another buzzer beater.... a long 2. I thought to myself, knowing Melo in NY, it was a story that wrote itself: Melo wuld miss a buzzer beater down 1 with game on line in 4th....I should've know this would happen and it would be a shot close to the basket.

tiger0330

Legend
On a side note: Melo hit a contested 3 at end of second quarter, off an inbounds pass with less than 2 seconds on the clock. At end of third quarter, he hit another buzzer beater.... a long 2. I thought to myself, knowing Melo in NY, it was a story that wrote itself: Melo wuld miss a buzzer beater down 1 with game on line in 4th....I should've know this would happen and it would be a shot close to the basket.
Noah's missed tip was the shot that I thought had a better chance to go in. Melo had a good all around game, even had a critical steal from Milsap late in the game. Today if any of the guys like Jennings, Noah could have made one play or DRose getting a block on Schroeders game winner the Knicks could have pulled this one out. Melo did the work today.