2730.png
201149.png

203145.png
201584.png

203471.png
201565.png

Injury Report

Atlanta HawksNew York Knicks
Tiago Splitter - Right calf strain (OUT)Kristaps Porzingis - Sore left Achilles (OUT)
Nikola Mirotic - Illness (NWT)Lance Thomas - Left orbital fracture (OUT)
--

Game Preview

NEW YORK - The New York Knicks are cautiously optimistic they will have their star second-year forward Kristaps Porzingis available for their next four games, which they play in six nights.

The 21-year-old missed his second straight game, a 116-101 loss at Toronto on Sunday, with a sore left Achilles, and is questionable for Monday when the Knicks (18-23) host the Atlanta Hawks (23-17) at Madison Square Garden.

New York faces Boston on Wednesday, Washington on Thursday and Phoenix on Saturday.

Porzingis' replacement, Lance Thomas, sustained a fractured orbital bone and had concussion-like symptoms after being hit with an inadvertent elbow from Toronto Raptors center Jonas Valanciunas during Sunday's game. The Knicks announced Thomas' condition after the game, saying that the 28-year-old would be re-evaluated on Monday and is expected to sit out Monday's game.

At one point in the third quarter on Sunday, the Knicks trailed by 38 points, their largest deficit of the season.

If Porzingis is unable to play or his minutes are limited against the Hawks, Mindaugas Kuzminskas will likely see some action next to Carmelo Anthony in the frontcourt.

The Knicks could certainly use Porzingis' 7-foot-3 presence at both ends. He is averaging two blocks and seven rebounds a game for a team that gives up 108 points a night, the sixth highest in the league.

Porzingis is also second to Carmelo Anthony in scoring, averaging 19.4 points.

"I need to get it 100 percent before I step back on the court again," Porzingis told Newsday. "I need to take my time, calm down a little bit. I'm just too anxious to be out there.

"We have a tough schedule ahead of us. I want to be back as soon as possible. But at the same time, I want to make sure I'm healthy and that I can be 100 percent for the team."

Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek is cautious about Porzingis returning to action too soon.

"We've got a lot of games," Hornacek said. "These games in January are coming at you, so it's bad timing, but it is what it is. We were able to win the other night (104-89 over Chicago) without him, so we've got to try to do it again."

The Hawks are soaring, having won eight of their last nine games after Sunday's 111-98 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.

Mike Dunleavy, playing only his second game since being traded from Cleveland for Kyle Korver, scored a season-high 20 points. Dunleavy made two 3-pointers and scored six points in 15 minutes in Friday's loss to Boston.

"It's only two games and we have to be careful not to put too much into it," Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. "It's always been a belief that this would be a good place for him to play, a good way from him to play, moving and cutting and all of those things.

"It's early, but he's relishing his opportunity and we've welcomed him with open arms. The challenge will be for him to come out and do it every night and I know he will."

(cbssports.com)

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
remember rady... its a noon game..... I think this is the start of a winning streak.... and yessss I've already had my 1st ****tail...

mafra

Legend
(Theknicksblog)

Derrick Rose approached Jeff Hornacek after practice Saturday to encourage the head coach to be harder on his team regarding their defensive effort. When Rose made news of this meeting public, Hornacek was defensive in the nature of the conversation between the two, according to Marc Berman of the NY Post.
"We try to talk to them after practice," Hornacek said in regards to talking to his players following practice. "What they see? It's just talk. We're not 36-4. There's always things we can talk about it. It's good to hear what they're thinking. Nothing but after-practice talk."
Saturday's talk did little to improve the team's defense Sunday against the Raptors when the Knicks were blown out, 116-101.

Rose finished with 16 points and three assists.
"He was just talking more about calling guys out," Hornacek added on his talk with Rose. "I don't know if we necessarily have to do that. We work on things at practice every way. It's the same stuff. We know everyone's guilty of it. We go down the line with every guy. Maybe harping on them a little. Maybe it comes to a point you take guys out who continually do it over and over. Heck, I've had talks like that with Jerry Sloan. Everyone's trying to get it figured out when you're not one of the top teams in the league."

tiger0330

Legend
Too early to give up on the season like some fans want to do and these 2 teams are an example of why. Xmas the Knicks were a victory from being the 3 seed and ATL was 15-16 and out of a playoff spor before going on a 7 game win streak and now are 4th in the EC.

Horn threatened to make some lineup changes and I think today is a good day to start. Have Noah come off the bench, lets see more of Ron Baker and Kuz.

paris401

Starter
we all want the playoffs, followed by the championship...BUT.... I guess this team can make the playoffs, but to what end???.... to get a $hitier draft choice...are we better to tank the season, maybe be a lottery team???... just throwing it out there...

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Both Porzingis and Thomas are ruled out for today. Let's see if Kuz makes the starting 5!

tiger0330

Legend
Baker and Kuz starting. When KP comes back he may replace Noah as the starting 5 and Melo goes to the 4 if Kuz and Baker work. Lee in the 2nd unit may give him more shots and if he can hit the 3 at 45% it would help.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
Howard isn't playing so the lineup change might be to the knicks advantage.
Baker should have been playing (IN ROTATIONS) at the beginning of the year.
Jeff has to be tougher on guys not playing hard on defense PERIOD !

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks up 27-26 despite 7 to's. Baker has 6 pts on 2 made 3s, missed the 1st 3 shots but it was on the opening play but he wasn't shy.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe we're keeping the opponents under 60 points at halftime!

Kiyaman

Legend
Atlanta biggest weakness are all their lineups are small-ball even when DHoward in the lineup.
Our weakness are we cant even take advantage of a weak small-ball team like Atlanta ..
Humphries rebounding over Melo ..
Melo not boxing-out Humphries from defending the paint ..
Melo's last-shot 3 ball takes a 1 pt lead to end the first half .. 54-53

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks up 54-53 at the half off a long Melo 3 at the buzzer with a Hawk draped all over him. Trautwig asked him about the changes in the lineup, seemed to be 50/50 about them, I'm reading that he thinks its just tinkering but he complimented CLee saying he took it well, something I don't think he would take well if you made him come off the bench. PJ wants him to leave, have Horn bench him or have him come off the bench and you'll get him to waive that NTC.

Kiyaman

Legend
Howard isn't playing so the lineup change might be to the knicks advantage.
Baker should have been playing (IN ROTATIONS) at the beginning of the year.
Jeff has to be tougher on guys not playing hard on defense PERIOD !

Rookie Baker instead of Lee alongside Rose in the Backcourt vs Atlanta's Tier-2 PG-Schroder n Tier-2 SG- Hardaway equal even match-up

Our starter lineup need more assist ....

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
We would have a 10 pt lead if we would get the ball to Noah in the paint .. Hawks have no one protecting the paint area

Kiyaman

Legend
During this time out .. i hope coach Horn are telling them to take the ball straight to the basket for inside baskets

tiger0330

Legend
That pass by DRose to Kuz for that dunk is like the decision to sign DRose this off-season. 7 dimes but 6 to's and does he give you W's. That AWOL, his injury history, he won't play injured except in contract years. Signing him for 150M/5 yr deal us an accident waiting to happen, I would give him a 70M/3 yr deal though.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo and Rose played the entire 3rd qtr. providing no effort on defense to give Hawks the lead at end of 3rd qtr. 88-83