Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards 8:00 pm 1/19/2017 [Game#44]

tiger0330

Legend
I'm expecting an L tonight despite that W in Boston yesterday. Knicks are terrible in 2nd games of back to backs but so are the Wizards going 1-7 in back to backs just like the Knicks. The Wiz one victory however was against the Knicks and they have been playing well as of late and Wall in particular has been a beast.
Wall breasted. Making the game winning breakaway dunk leaving Jennings stuck in his shoes as Wall left him in the dust.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
NY needs players who can handle Garden pressure, not many can. The pressure to win a close game for the home team in NY is huge !

mafra

Legend
Jennings was awful all game. I have no idea why BJ was playing down the stretch instead of KOQ.... the play of the game was the failure to box out after that electrifying KP putback slam.... Lee, Rose, BJ stood there and allowed Porter to race in the next possession and grab an offensive rebound.... but at least Rose had a huge box out a minute later to get ball back with a chance to take a lead (boxed out a bigger Morris).

Typical Melo.... scores 2 in the first quarter (including air balling a 2 foot uncontested jumper), then scores 25 in the second quarter, then scores 1 in the third, then missed 2 layups and 2 FTs in the fourth before scoring a quick 5 or 6 points, only to choke with game on line at the end.... amazing how consistently he misses these shots.

Then again, Melo always settles for contested, long, low % jumpers off ISO in these situations so it's no wonder he only hits about 24% of them.... just terrible that we always opt for this play..... but this is our offense.... 1 or 2 passes and then somebody pulls up!and shoots. We rarely swing ball around or make the extra pass.... the last possesssion just showed how clueless we are when it comes to this....

it was a solid game by the officials.... always prefer when the limit the calls.... as always, they're going to miss calls here and there.... so better to let the guys play. With that said.... WAS down 1 at end and Wall drives, Melo swipes down at ball and is called for the foul..... Wall sinks 2 FTs.... it did appear he got arm on TV but hard to tell, but when replay showed at MSG the crowd reacted like it was a bad call. Quick whistle from ref indicated the call was made bc of the exaggerated arm motion from Melo.....

on NYK last possession, 20 seconds later, Wall has same exaggerated arm motion, swiping down on BJ and ball comes flying out..... no call. On TV it did appear Wall hit ball, but it It also seemed like ref was clearly in "let them Play on" mode. Still, fairness is consistency.... you can't let them play all night and then with game on the line call a reach in, then ignore a reach in on the other end...

Still, i feel these 2 plays, and how they were called, showed once again how well'officiated the game was.... but since it was played at MSG, and call went against Melo and for Wall, it further proves NYK play 82 road games.... rarely do they catch a break. It's really amazing.... if this was in D.C. Would we be shocked if Wall wasn't called and Melo was (if we reversed the two actions)?

Lee needs to be traded. He's checked out. I'm perplexed as to why BJ and Lee finished this game. If Holiday or Kuz play with KOQ.... we win. And where was Willy? After what he did last night now he doesn't play?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
As it turns out, on that final possession WAS had 6 defenders on the court! An assistant coach steps on the court and is standing between the ref and Lee, and is shouting.... ref pushes him off the court. I don't know the rules, but shouldn't this be a technical foul?

------//

go to theknicksblog.com to see a replay (again, after having no problem calling a questionable reach in on melo, apparently the refs decided WAS could do anything they wanted on their defensive end without calling something. You can't make this stuff up....

The Knicks' Courtney Lee says the NBA should investigate Wizards assistant coach Sidney Lowe for interfering with him on New York's final possession in their 113-110 loss to Washington Thursday.
Video showed Lowe stepped on the court and began shouting as Lee set up along the sideline for what could have been a game-tying 3-pointer. After getting a pass from Carmelo Anthony, a wide-open Lee passed to Brandon Jennings, who had the ball stolen from him by John Wall.
"If that was their tactic, their defensive scheme, it worked," Lee told reporters. Lee said Lowe screamed "I'm here" and "my stunt" as if Lowe were a defender. Lowe ultimately was pushed back to the bench by a referee, but only after Lee passed the ball.
"I thought it was another guy rotating down. I'm watching the ball and all I hear is "I'm right here, I'm right here.' And I'm not sure if he had his hands up or not. But he fooled me."

mafra

Legend
Lee said Washington assistant Sidney Lowe deliberately distracted him while on the court, shouting in his ear as if he were a player. And that may have had a considerable impact on the Knicks’ 113-110 loss to the Wizards

“I was watching Carmelo, thinking he’s about to shoot the ball, but then he drives and the ball comes to me,” said Lee, who received the ball in the left corner after the Knicks sought a tying-3 after inbounding with 13.7 seconds left.
“Then I see [Washington’s Kelly] Oubre in front of me, but right here I’m hearing, ‘I got your help, I’m right here, I’m right here.’ I come to find out it’s their coach standing next to me. I’m thinking he’s a player. So I drive and try to make a play. I don’t know if the league should look into that. If that was a tactic in their defensive scheme, it worked because I thought it was a player. … It’s something they [league] need to take a look at.

“Their coach was like 2 feet away from. In my peripheral, I’m hearing, ‘I’m here, I’m here, I’m here, I got the stunt.’ I’m think he’s a player. So I drive the ball,” Lee said. “I’m thinking it’s a player the whole time until I watched the replay. … I’ve never seen that in my whole career.”
Video replays clearly showed Lowe on the court near Lee, who dribbled away and passed over to Brandon Jennings. John Wall got on Jennings and he fumbled away the ball before the horn sounded.
“Definitely played in their favor. I’m sure it affected Courtney’s shot,” Knicks center Kyle O’Quinn said. “The league, they review a lot of stuff. … I’m sure they’ll handle it the proper way.”
knicks4.jpg
Wizards assistant Sidney Lowe stands next to Courtney Lee during the final Knicks possession.@Ken Ducey; TwitterSaid Anthony, “He was on the court. They [had] six players on the court.”

mafra

Legend
Also, after Melo missed his last shot and Wall sealed the deal.... apparently, another blown call by refs that went against NY:

(NY Daily News)

The Knicks had reached that pivotal moment because of another late-game breakdown, with Carmelo Anthony missing a potential game-winning bucket with 17.3 seconds left. His brick off the rim transitioned to a breakaway jam from Wizards guard John Wall, who only needed about two seconds to dribble down the court and give the Wizards their 113-110 lead. (Wall actually double-dribbled on the breakaway by touching the ball with both hands, but it was ignored by the refs).

mafra

Legend
Lee said he’s never witnessed a similar situation, but was advised after the game on what to do the next time a coach steps into the action.
“If you just run into the coach if he’s on the floor, it’s a technical foul,” Lee said. “I’ll make sure to glance over and do that next time.”

mafra

Legend
To recap, about 40 seconds left in the game, a contest where refs pretty much let the players play, the refs now decide to call a reach-in on Melo (all star player on his home court)..... so, with NY up 1, refs feel it's best to give Wall 2 FT shots and let game be decided from the charity stripe.... remember, this was a questionable reach in and since ball went out of bounds, refs easily could've simply ruled that it was WAS ball. (Remember when refs did this is MIL, b/c they didn't want to call a foul on Greek Freak!).

then, refs too busy to bother calling an obvious double dribble on Wall, as he strides away to seal the game and put WAS up 3....

then, refs ignore an assistant coach on the court yelling and waiving his arm and defending Lee (a better effort defensively from this coach than some NY players).... actually, ref helps coach avoid a technical by shoving him off the court when Lee has ball (b/c if Lee steps to his right and hits coach it has to be called a technical).

Finally, game is capped when Wall is allowed to slap down on ball (reach in) and punch it away from BJ.

is this D.C. Or MSG? Why is Wall getting the star treatment in Melo's house? Gotta feel for Melo and Rose in the sense they don't get half the calls their peers get. Sorry, just not officiated the same way.

its hard to recall a to recall a time when Rose or Melo shot a FT in the final seconds of a close game when nY trailed bu a point or 2....

NY has collapsed last 3 weeks but a lot of this is due in part to all these new bodies trying to figure things out..... this is now 5 losses in a row in games decided by 3 points or less.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Bottom line: Teams that perpetually suck and players who aren't media darlings are not and will not get the benefit of the doubt from the zebras in any sport. I'm a KC Chiefs fan too. Everybody says we got screwed on Sunday and we did. Zebras wave off the game tying 2pt conversion throwing the FIRST flag for holding of the game with under 5 minutes left in the FOURTH quarter. But that wasn't Tom Brady leading the comeback, it was Alex Smith who plays for the small market, Midwest KC Chiefs. Who by the way haven't won a Chip since 1970, the year I was born. Sound familiar?

So knowing all this you must WIN games and not leave them in the hands of the Zebras. My Chiefs gave up170 yards right up the middle to Laveon Bell. Last night Our Knicks gave up 39 points in the first quarter. The only reason we were in that game was because of Melo's historic second quarter. But at the end we left the game hands of the zebras. How about Melo's three that was changed back to a long two? While being the correct call, look how long it took to correct on the scoreboard. Even bitchass Reggie Miller pointed out on the TNT broadcast the Knicks players didn't know the correct score down the stretch of of last nights game. It took the zebras an eternity to finally "fix" the score. Then that business with the Zebra in the corner with C Lee? That doesn't happen to Lebron James or Steph Curry to be sure. In summary, leaving close games in the hands of the Zebras is like using fast food drive thru service: they **** you everytime ON CHIEF:)

tiger0330

Legend
Lee said he?s never witnessed a similar situation, but was advised after the game on what to do the next time a coach steps into the action.
?If you just run into the coach if he?s on the floor, it?s a technical foul,? Lee said. ?I?ll make sure to glance over and do that next time.?
Amazing to me that a pro ball player, playing the game his entire life wouldn't know to do this. Don't they call CLee a high IQ bball player? That's a free point in any case, if a coach or another player on the bench is on the floor, doesn't matter when it happens run into him and get that free point.

C2ldAVfXUAA1FN8.jpg

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Amazing to me that a pro ball player, playing the game his entire life wouldn't know to do this. Don't they call CLee a high IQ bball player? That's a free point in any case, if a coach or another player on the bench is on the floor, doesn't matter when it happens run into him and get that free point.

C2ldAVfXUAA1FN8.jpg

Thank You ...

John Wall wanted this back to back win more than anyone on the Knicks team!
John Wall has been on a (All-Star) mission the last 13 games playing outstanding b.ball to take the Wiz on a 10-3 run.

Our star tandem Melo & Rose has to answer for the Knicks 3-12 run the last 15 games SMH