Popovich, not PJAX, has NYK's back

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are angry. But Gregg Popovich is angrier.

A day after the NBA levied a fine against Wizards assistant coach Sidney Lowe for standing on the court and yelling during the Knicks? final possession of a 113-110 loss Thursday night, Popovich called for heavier penalties and chastised Washington for its bench decorum.

?It?s unsportsmanlike, it?s childish, it?s inappropriate,? the Spurs coach said at shootaround Saturday morning in Cleveland, according to the San Antonio Express-News. ?There?s no place for it.?

The Wizards were fined $15,000 for the incident while Lowe was fined $5,000.

Popovich said the fines should be $250,000 for the team and $50,000 to $75,000 for an offending player or coach.

?Everybody would sit their ass down,? Popovich said.

?I think they got off easy,? Popovich continued. ?What if that shot costs a playoff game because somebody does that? ? Maybe that affects a coach being fired. Maybe a franchise winning a series. So if you think about it, maybe it?s worth it for 5 or 10 thousand to go do that.?

The play in question from Thursday night?s game at the Garden came with less than 10 seconds remaining and the Knicks trailing by three points. Carmelo Anthony drove into the lane and kicked to Courtney Lee in the corner.

Lee was wide open behind the three-point line, but he passed up the potential game-tying shot. Lowe was standing on the court mere feet away from Lee with his hands up. Lee said after the game Lowe was also yelling out defensive assignments. Lee mistook Lowe for a player and said that was the reason he didn?t shoot.

?I?ve been moaning and groaning about it for a decade, about everybody standing up on the bench when somebody shoots a three,? Popovich said. ?If you were at your kid?s junior high game, you?d tell the kids to sit down and behave themselves. So why do we get to get up and do that kind of crap??

Jeff Hornacek addressed the fines for the first time Saturday before the Knicks took on the Suns.

?There was probably some distraction there that shouldn?t have happened. But that?s the way it is sometimes,? Hornacek said. ?Late clock, probably shoot it anyway whether the distraction?s there (or not). But Courtney felt that they were right on him, and so I can see him trying to take one dribble and try to kick out to someone else. So no fault of his.?

mafra

Legend
"In fact, a case could be made that Phil?s ill-timed comments have helped to undermine the team. Since Phil?s Dec. 6 interview with CBS Sports Network when he said that Carmelo stalls the offense, the Knicks have gone 5-14, including Saturday?s loss to Phoenix."

tiger0330

Legend
I'd rather an influential coach like Pop talk about putting in a system that eliminates the bad calls that affect the outcome of games. That no call against Lowe was not a bang bang play like Walls double dribble which was hard to see without replay. Incompetent refereeing, I would like to see the end replayed of that game the next time the two meet and a better system at the end of games to get these calls right.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I'd rather an influential coach like Pop talk about putting in a system that eliminates the bad calls that affect the outcome of games. That no call against Lowe was not a bang bang play like Walls double dribble which was hard to see without replay. Incompetent refereeing, I would like to see the end replayed of that game the next time the two meet and a better system at the end of games to get these calls right.

Everything Pop mention were suppose to come from our famous Zen Phil Jackson (President of organization)
by way of head-coach Jeff Horn .. after game officiating argument that deserve reprimand.
Our Knicks organization has showed such little concern over losses to the point we need the next team to speak-up for us .. as if we expect game after game losses .. SMH!
Head-Coach Pop are the NBA top #1 playoff coach, that do not want to lose a game by the next coach to pull the same Lowe's act on one of his players in the remaining seconds of a game, especially a playoff game,
In 2012 coach Pop became the NBA #1 playoff coach, the day the famous Zen Phil Jackson retired.

Broadway

All Star
The Knicks are angry. But Gregg Popovich is angrier.

A day after the NBA levied a fine against Wizards assistant coach Sidney Lowe for standing on the court and yelling during the Knicks’ final possession of a 113-110 loss Thursday night, Popovich called for heavier penalties and chastised Washington for its bench decorum.

“It’s unsportsmanlike, it’s childish, it’s inappropriate,” the Spurs coach said at shootaround Saturday morning in Cleveland, according to the San Antonio Express-News. “There’s no place for it.”

The Wizards were fined $15,000 for the incident while Lowe was fined $5,000.

Popovich said the fines should be $250,000 for the team and $50,000 to $75,000 for an offending player or coach.

“Everybody would sit their ass down,” Popovich said.

“I think they got off easy,” Popovich continued. “What if that shot costs a playoff game because somebody does that? … Maybe that affects a coach being fired. Maybe a franchise winning a series. So if you think about it, maybe it’s worth it for 5 or 10 thousand to go do that.”

The play in question from Thursday night’s game at the Garden came with less than 10 seconds remaining and the Knicks trailing by three points. Carmelo Anthony drove into the lane and kicked to Courtney Lee in the corner.

Lee was wide open behind the three-point line, but he passed up the potential game-tying shot. Lowe was standing on the court mere feet away from Lee with his hands up. Lee said after the game Lowe was also yelling out defensive assignments. Lee mistook Lowe for a player and said that was the reason he didn’t shoot.

I’ve been moaning and groaning about it for a decade, about everybody standing up on the bench when somebody shoots a three,” Popovich said. “If you were at your kid’s junior high game, you’d tell the kids to sit down and behave themselves. So why do we get to get up and do that kind of crap?”

In the other thread I think I listed about 6 coaches off the top of my head who I know for a fact do this. But what I highlighted here, him stating he's been arguing this for a decade long vindicates my point about...

"there not being a vendetta and the fact they are just bad at their job"

and really haven't made any efforts to improve as professionals.

Pop and his Spurs have won a few chips over this decade being good enough to overcome the zebras incompetency...this doesn't absolve them from this issue but what it does say that even the best of the best see how far their transgressions reach(league-wide) and not exclusive to any one team or a collective of teams.

So once again we can cry all we want and we can site the ambassadors of our yelping but there are two options here...

"We get good enough to overcome this added adversity"

and/or

"Silver/(reigning commissioner) takes them to task and demand they govern games with absolute excellence"

The league doesn't give back losses, doesn't replay games, doesn't make concessions for teams/fans and their feelings, they keep it movin. We better start gettin like the Spurs/Cavs/Warriors because it's not gonna change anytime soon, if ever.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
In the other thread I think I listed about 6 coaches off the top of my head who I know for a fact do this. But what I highlighted here, him stating he's been arguing this for a decade long vindicates my point about...

and really haven't made any efforts to improve as professionals.

Pop and his Spurs have won a few chips over this decade being good enough to overcome the zebras incompetency...this doesn't absolve them from this issue but what it does say that even the best of the best see how far their transgressions reach(league-wide) and not exclusive to any one team or a collective of teams.

So once again we can cry all we want and we can site the ambassadors of our yelping but their are two options here...

"We get good enough to overcome this added adversity"

and/or

"Silver/(reigning commissioner) takes them to task and demand they govern games with absolute excellence"

The league doesn't give back losses, doesn't replay games, doesn't make concessions for teams/fans and their feelings, they keep it movin. We better start gettin like the Spurs/Cavs/Warriors because it's not gonna change anytime soon, if ever.
Not true the NBA has had do overs. Scorers errors but to me a referee that doesn't know the rules and doesn't call a T is the same thing, all it takes is Silver to say this affected the game and the Wiz improperly caused a Knicks loss.

ATLANTA -- For the first time since 1982, the NBA is sending
two teams back to the court for a do-over.

The Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat must replay the final 51.9
seconds of their game last month because the official scorer ruled
incorrectly that Shaquille O'Neal fouled out, the league said
Friday.
The Hawks won 117-111 at home in overtime Dec. 19, but strike
that one from the books. For now, playoff-contending Atlanta has
one less win, while the Heat have one less loss on their miserable
record.
"We're human. We make mistakes," Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr.
said. "There certainly wasn't anything malicious about it. We have
one of the most senior scoring staffs in the league. They're good.
It happened. There's not much we can do about it."
Making it a truly miserable day: Atlanta followed up Stern's
decision by losing to Washington 102-98 in overtime.
The NBA said the replay will be held before the teams' next
scheduled game: March 8 in Atlanta. Play will start from the time
after O'Neal's disputed sixth foul, with the Hawks leading 114-111.
"Wait a minute! I picked up a win today, or lost a loss," Heat
coach Pat Riley quipped in New Orleans, where the Heat played the
Hornets. "I can wake up tomorrow knowing there's one less loss."
The Hawks also were fined $50,000, with commissioner David Stern
ruling the team was "grossly negligent" in failing to address the
mistake.
The protest is the first granted by the NBA since December 1982,
when then-NBA commissioner Larry O'Brien upheld a request for a
replay by the San Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime
loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.
The Spurs and Lakers finished the game in April 1983, with San
Antonio winning 117-114.
The Hawks were caught off guard by Stern's ruling, feeling he
was trying to send a message in light of another scoring mistake
that occurred in Atlanta early last season.
"Come on," Gearon said. "You can see how many time coaches,
assistant coaches and trainers walk up to [the scoring table]
during a game. They're walking up there for a reason. They're
asking questions, whether it's confirming timeout or points or
other issues."
Team spokesman Arthur Triche said no one on the stat crew had
been replaced, but changes have been made in the way they operate.
Two people run the official book at courtside, while the
four-person computer stat crew is 26 rows above the court in
another press location. The two crews are supposed to check with
each other if any discrepancies come up.
"While it was an honest mistake made on the table, there was a
communication breakdown in not following through the procedures
that are in place," Triche said. "That's why we're in this
predicament."
The Hawks were leading 112-111 in overtime when O'Neal was
called for a foul. The official scorers said it was the Miami
center's sixth foul, when actually it was only his fifth.
The mistake stemmed from a foul with 3:24 remaining in the
fourth quarter that was called on Udonis Haslem but was mistakenly
credited to O'Neal at the scoring table.
"That's crazy, man! I don't even think I can play because I
fouled out," Atlanta's Josh Smith said. "David Stern is the head
honcho, so if he says we've got to play another 51 seconds that's
what we've got to play. Bottom line."
Stern ruled the Hawks "failed to follow league-mandated scoring
procedures and failed to respond effectively when the members of
the statisticians' crew noticed the mistake," the NBA said in a
statement.
Said Haslem: "I'm not the kind of guy who likes to argue or cry
over spilled milk, but we've got a second chance so we'll try to
make the best of it."
While the Heat are having a terrible, going into Friday's game
last in the Eastern Conference with a record that is now 8-27
instead of 8-28, the decision could have a profound impact on
Atlanta's hopes of making the playoffs for the first time since
Losing the win over Miami dropped the Hawks to 15-16, leaving
them with the eighth -- and final -- seed in the East. Imagine if
they lose the replay, then miss the playoffs by one game.
"Bottom line is we're here to try to make the playoffs," said
coach Mike Woodson, whose team faced the Washington Wizards on
Friday night. "You've got to live with it. We'll face those 51
seconds in March."
The NBA requires the official scorers to coordinate foul calls
with the rest of the stat crew during every timeout. That
apparently didn't happen in this case, resulting in the mistake
going unnoticed until after the game, when the Hawks put out
revised boxes showing O'Neal with six fouls.
"Other than filing the protest, I haven't given it any thought
since then. It wasn't until everybody started doing some research
on all of the things that went on behind the scenes," Riley said.
"I don't really know the what the checks and balances are for
fouls and how they're done. I think the league felt we probably
deserved an opportunity to go back and play the last 51 seconds."
Especially because this involved Atlanta, where another
statistical problem occurred just last season.
On Nov. 24, 2006, the official scorer failed to credit Toronto's
T.J. Ford with a basket that would have given the Raptors a late
tie and an opportunity to change the outcome of a 97-93 loss.
"Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered
a clear competitive disadvantage, as O'Neal -- the Heat's
second-leading scorer and rebounder that night -- was removed from a
one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining," the NBA
statement said.
On the NBA's official Web site, those final 51 seconds have
already been wiped from the books. The Dec. 19 schedule shows 12
games as finals, but the one in Atlanta is still in progress. The
box score and play-by-play are on hold, ending at the time of
Horford's free throws.
Al Horford hit two free throws after O'Neal's foul to put the
Hawks up 114-111. That's where the game will resume.
Miami's ball.
"It's always something with the Hawks," Atlanta's Tyronn Lue
said. "It's a bad business, man, but we'll get through it."

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Tig I didn't mean it literally...I meant it's not something we're going to see the league establish on a regular basis. This will not become even remotely something of normalcy.

1982 to 2006? look how long and what it takes to get the NBA to react and trust me there have been myriads of protests(valid) by teams over that period of time and beyond.

Last edited:

Playa2

Benchwarmer
I got to believe Phil Jackson is tanking to get another stud to go along with Porzyingus, for the long hall to show Melo he needs to walk.

paris401

Starter
I got to believe Phil Jackson is tanking to get another stud to go along with Porzyingus, for the long hall to show Melo he needs to walk.

melo misses his last shot on sat, previously we lost a couple/few games by 1-2 point missing last second shots... how is this tanking??? did phil tell melo to miss the last shot on sat??? or the other guys the previous games?? please explain

and1

Rotation player
my favorite is when the refs are right up on guys when they're taking outside shots. i mean right up on them, you know, the kind of stuff that players get called for fouls. my favorite was last year, when melo rolled his ankle on that schmuck standing right in his landing space lmao.
but seriously, it's different when a winning coach complains about this stuff, as opposed to a coach on a losing team. especially a losing team that people love to hate.

Kiyaman

Legend

The defenseless coaching and the rotation substitution has me believing Phil is tanking the season AGAIN!!!