Let the youngsters play

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Its no secret that the young ballers have played really good this year exspecially the 2nd unit.Reggie said it best tonight when he said the Knicks brass should let them play and see what you got.He likes them a lot and frankly I do to!! Put these kids out there and let them grow together!! The knicks have potential in these kids but they won't get better by sitting on the bench.I say put them on the court,give them more minutes and turn them loose.

mafra

Legend
The emergence of Kuz, WHG and Holiday make this season a success.. those 3 are players.... KP & WHG alone gives you hope for the future. Man, had PJax accepted Crowder instead of draft picks for TC, and if Baker turns out to be a baller.... Phil would've worked magic out of nothing but 1 draft pick in 3 years, Melo & TC (only real assets NY had when he took over)....

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Yes exactly and lets face it the vets in Melo,Rose and Noah you never know what you are going to get from game to game.All three are on their downside of their careers so why wait? Yes you can still play them but the Knicks have to look torwards the future and our young ballers show me that there is a bright future with this core of guys.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
On the Knicks roster we have two agendas plus a MSG thing.

One agenda is when you play for the Knicks in your contract year, you have to try and justify a bigger payday by showing signs you can still compete at a high level by showing your skill set. If you win games that's a plus, Dolan or some other GM is going to have to pay you. This is the in thing to do when your franchise has no desire or way of winning a Championship....it just becomes a business to you to.

The other agenda is this, you are in your rookie contract you just want to win, you can't make anymore money this season, so you are going to do what the coach says to get playing time.

As for rookies for the Knicks , when they play at MSG they tend to play timid compared to when they play on the road.

Everybody doesn't have "IT" when playing for the Knicks, but opposing teams have nothing to lose or fear when playing on a stage like MSG!

How many no names have come to MSG against the Knicks and we made them loo like a stud player.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
You really want to throw in the towel on this season already? There's a lot of games left and the general rule is you dont't give auditions to your rookies until you're mathematically eliminated. You got to play Rose to see if he can hold up for an entire season, he might be the best option PJ has to sign at PG, Melo needs to be showcased if you're going to try to trade him, I do agree about WHG, if Horn has any sense Noah backs up WHG or Quinn permanently.

Broadway

All Star
You really want to throw in the towel on this season already? There's a lot of games left and the general rule is you dont't give auditions to your rookies until you're mathematically eliminated. You got to play Rose to see if he can hold up for an entire season, he might be the best option PJ has to sign at PG, Melo needs to be showcased if you're going to try to trade him, I do agree about WHG, if Horn has any sense Noah backs up WHG or Quinn permanently.

Actually you never should run a team by scoreboard watching, it's the very reason we're in the predicament we're in today. Stephen A. Smith says the current talk is probably Melo for Kevin Love and Melo would waive his no trade clause to be traded to Cleveland. This team should not play for this season by trying to eek into the playoffs to get steam rolled by Cleveland only to be back to square one of nowhere. We're not making the playoffs anyway and any team that does being several games under .500 shouldn't be allowed to in all honesty.

I'd do the Cleveland deal if they gave us Liggins and a future 1rst round pick

tiger0330

Legend
Actually you never should run a team by scoreboard watching, it's the very reason we're in the predicament we're in today. Stephen A. Smith says the current talk is probably Melo for Kevin Love and Melo would waive his no trade clause to be traded to Cleveland. This team should not play for this season by trying to eek into the playoffs to get steam rolled by Cleveland only to be back to square one of nowhere. We're not making the playoffs anyway and any team that does being several games under .500 shouldn't be allowed to in all honesty.

Whats the deal KLove Liggins and a 1st for Melo? That would be a no brainer for the Knicks. I doubt Melo commands that much in a trade though, I was thinking a more realistic trade would be to the Clips for Jamal/Rivers and a 1st. I wonder how Doc would feel about trading his son? The Clips trade doesn't make us that much better if at all but you move on from Melo.

Broadway

All Star
Whats the deal KLove Liggins and a 1st for Melo? That would be a no brainer for the Knicks. I doubt Melo commands that much in a trade though, I was thinking a more realistic trade would be to the Clips for Jamal/Rivers and a 1st. I wonder how Doc would feel about trading his son? The Clips trade doesn't make us that much better if at all but you move on from Melo.

That's the gist of a deal I'd welcome but Stephen A. says the Knicks want to move Melo badly. Clippers really aren't an ideal trading partner at the moment and I don't think Doc is a Melo fan based on how he replied 2yrs ago on the idea trading Blake for Melo. Lebron is also barking loudly in the media for his organization to make a move and this isn't a coincidence.

tiger0330

Legend
Speaking of young talent the Sixers signed Chasson Randle to his second 10 day. I don't know how many times I said he can flat out score. The Knicks might still be able to pick him up, the Sixers might not keep him because he's more a scoring guard and not a PG and doesn't do other things besides scoring.

With the way he played for the Philadelphia 76ers thus far, Chasson Randle earned himself a second 10-Day contract. In his first stint, Randle averaged 6.5 points on 57.1 percent shooting from the field and 60.0 percent shooting from three. Randle provides a scoring threat that other guards for the Sixers simply do not.

During his time with the West Chester Knicks, Chasson Randle proved that he can flat out score the ball. In games for the Knicks, Randle averaged 20.7 points per game on 42.2 percent shooting from the field and 40.2 percent shooting from three. Those numbers put him with the top 20 scorers in the D-League this season.

mafra

Legend
After Lebron calling out people last night, following the loss to NO, it's really intriguing to think about what's happening right now.

Melo is flat-out balling, showcasing his talents to all potential suitor. You know Lebron is already in his ear recruiting Melo.... if Lebron wants Melo, his friend, CLE owner will do what his star player demands.

However, I'm not sure Love is the target:

I found this rumor:

"The latest NBA trade rumors are buzzing about a possible seven-asset swap between the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, and Denver Nuggets. The scenario that is being debated online would see Carmelo Anthony and Jameer Nelson joining the Cavs, while the Knicks would add Kenneth Faried, Iman Shumpert, and a 2017 first-round draft pick (from Denver). The Nuggets would round out this three-team transaction by obtaining Kevin Love and a second-round draft choice from New York."

Kevin Faired makes more sense. He's a year younger, much cheaper, and he fits well with KP. Plus, the DEN pick should be about 15 picks higher.

Liggins, or Shumpert, allows NYK to bring back a perimeter defender.

In the offseason, sign a guy like PJ Tucker....

You'll get 2 top-15 draft picks this year, plus you have plenty of cap space.... so, if you want to try to be competitive next season you have the option of re-signing Rose (or another top free agent).... or, you just roll with the youth and collect another lottery pick and then Start looking at free agents in 1018 and 2019.

Check out this starting 5.... a penetrating PG, the outside touch of KP, complimented by 3 rugged defenders:

Rose
Lee
Tucker
KP
Faired

Then a bench of 2 draft picks, with Shumpert/Liggins, Holiday, WHG, Kuz, Thomas, Baker, Plumlee.

This is a "team" with balance....
Rebounding, outside shooting....

Also, since we already have Lee and Holiday, perhaps we seek another player other than the Liggins/Shumpert.... Or, perhaps we also look to move both Lee and Rose for something else (Rubio?).

Imagine having:

Rubio
Lee or Liggins or Shump
Tucker
KP
Faired.

We have options.

paris401

Starter
Yes exactly and lets face it the vets in Melo,Rose and Noah you never know what you are going to get from game to game.All three are on their downside of their careers so why wait? Yes you can still play them but the Knicks have to look torwards the future and our young ballers show me that there is a bright future with this core of guys.

so the plan is to have $60m of
salary sitting on the bench??

paris401

Starter
Kevin Faired Liggins, or Shumpert... for Me-Lo... WOW... which one makes the 20m per year that would make this deal happen...

Kiyaman

Legend

Stephen A. Smith also said Phil should go back to LA where he belong, bc Phil is only in NY to collect the money" .. the story on Melo waiving his no-clause contract to go to Cavs are analyst sport talk to boost trade gossip heading toward the Feb. deadline .. Dolan is not finish with Melo in NY.
Plus Lebron added Korver to the guards backcourt for perimeter scoring alongside of Kyrie.
Lebron put two years of tutoring Love performance to give a double-double, picks, screens, and box-out a game. A hustle performance Lebron knows he will not get from Melo night after night.

The 2016-17 Knicks has another group of decent young b.ball players on the roster in Plumlee/Willy/Kuz/NDour/Baker .. Last season Knicks had KP/Grant/Galloway/Seraphin ..
One of the biggest flaws in the growth of Knicks organization has always been keeping and developing young players.

mafra

Legend
Kevin Faired Liggins, or Shumpert... for Me-Lo... WOW... which one makes the 20m per year that would make this deal happen...

Melo on CLE, Faired and Shumpert to NY, Love to DEN:

Congratulations on a successful trade
Due to Denver being under the cap and choosing to invoke the Cap Room rule, Denver could not go over the cap by more than $100,000 of post-trade Team Salary, which did happen here.
Due to Cleveland being over the cap and having a post-trade Team Salary over the Tax Threshold, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Cleveland could not receive more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here.
Due to New York being over the cap and having a post-trade Team Salary under the Tax Threshold and trading out more than $19.6M in salaries, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New York could not receive more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here.
This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

mafra

Legend
DEN sends NY a 1st rounder.... CLE sends DEN a 1st, NY sends DEN a 2nd....

I'm sure CLE figures out a way to get Nelson too.

Problem with this deal is I doubt PJax wants Shump back and NYK might feel Faired and a #1 isn't enough for Melo.

So, how badly does PJ want Melo out of NY? Faired an So DEN's 1st and a CLE 1st.... taking back Shump.... that's probably as good as it'll get (bc of Melo's no-trade and trade kicker).

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
DEN sends NY a 1st rounder.... CLE sends DEN a 1st, NY sends DEN a 2nd....

I'm sure CLE figures out a way to get Nelson too.

Problem with this deal is I doubt PJax wants Shump back and NYK might feel Faired and a #1 isn't enough for Melo.

So, how badly does PJ want Melo out of NY? Faired an So DEN's 1st and a CLE 1st.... taking back Shump.... that's probably as good as it'll get (bc of Melo's no-trade and trade kicker).
That inquistr.com site has all sort of crazy trades. Here's another one involving the Knicks, Lakers, Cavs which will never happen. Love all the rumors anyway but most rumors don't happen but I'd love to see the Knicks back in the game.

Current NBA trade rumors are pointing toward a potential deal between the aforementioned franchises. The exact specifications of this hypothetical swap would begin by seeing Carmelo Anthony head west to play for the Cavaliers. The Lakers would acquire Derrick Rose, Iman Shumpert and Tristan Thompson, while the Knicks would welcome four new players to Gotham: Jordan Clarkson, Lou Williams, Luol Deng and point guard DeAndre Liggins. Incidentally, this would be a legal deal under NBA trade and salary cap constraints.

mafra

Legend
Not saying is from a reputable source, but like I prefaced the post with: the pieces of that puzzle are there.

NYK has coveted Faired. Melo & LJ are pals. James just tweeted that Cavs need to improve to repeat... Now, I'm not sure if DEN truly has interest in Love.... or if Melo would waive his no-trade.

But, CLE is probably 1 of the few places Melo would go to.... heck, maybe NY just swaps Melo for Love and a first rounder (which I'm not sure NY would want)....

Likelihood of any deal is less than ten percent.... it's just that this type of deal is really 1 of the few scenarios of a possible trade that has any realistic chance of happening.

Other than Cavs? Where does he go? And would that team have anything to offer NY? What third team would have to be involved?

Faired and Crowder and a 1st is probably the only pieces PJ would want; he probably would do Clarkson and a pick (and something else)..... LAC doesn't have the package.

So, even if Melo agrees to a trade.... options are limited.

To me, I just sense that Lebron is pushing Melo here. The Kyrie-LJ-Melo offense could compete vs Curry-Klay-KD offensive firepower.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo has to go to a team that plays defense to cover his weaknesses so the Cavs would be a good fit for him. I just don't see the Cavs swapping Love for Melo, kind of a lateral move for them and why risk changing the chemistry when they won a chip with Love last year and they're still 1st in the EC despite them losing a few games recently.

Anyway, LBJ was bitching about getting a playmaker not a F that can score, another rumor is he wants Rondo and I definitely think the Cavs could get him without giving up too much. I think the Bulls would take a salary dump for him, if anyone can pull that deal off it's Griffin, it's amazing how that guy signs players with that payroll they have.

mafra

Legend
Love was pretty much a no-show in the Finals last year.... they won anyway tho. If they would've lost, Love would've been gone last summer.
I think Lebron knows they won't beat GSW w Love. Love is a good player, but melo is great.
Lebron doesn't care about 2020.... so he doesn't care that's melo is a few years older. Lebron is also very good friends with Melo.

It's simple really, Lebron loves to pass and he would have an ISO closer on 1 side in Melo, along with a PG who can create in Irving.

Again.... it's just speculation. But let's not get carried away. For what CLE needs to win a title, a reliable offensive weapon to carry the load when needed, Melo is still a superior player in that regard over Love, IMHO. Love is just not in that same tier.

Just imagine how you guard Melo at PF with Lebron and KI to worry about. Holy Cow!

I want to see it just so Melo can show what he truly is... we would find out vs GSW for sure.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
And here I thought Melo's wife is what's keeping him in NYC..... LA LA for her business interest.

Melo knows he's not winning a Chip in NY no time soon.