Knicks tried to trade Carmelo to CLE

mafra

Legend
Going into the 2017 offseason, the Cavs will have eight players under contract whose collective salaries already put the team over the expected luxury-tax line. That?s the starting point.

LeBron James: $33,285,709
Kevin Love: $22,642,350
Kyrie Irving: $18,868,626
Tristan Thompson: $16,400,000
J.R. Smith: $13,760,000
Iman Shumpert: $10,337,079
Channing Frye: $7,420,912
Richard Jefferson: $2,500,000
Total: $125,214,676

mafra

Legend
If I'm CLE, I try to get Melo for TT, Shump, Frye, a future 1st and right to swap another future first.

Otherwise, I just may have to do a Love and Frye swap for Melo and Lee.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It may only be a lateral move, but CLE will only beat GSW with offense.... and Melo wouldn't have laid an egg like Love did last night.

Then again, running with Korver, Jefferson and Deron isn't gonna help James and Melo much either.

Still, Melo is a superior offensive player and if NYK had any hope of trading Melo to CLE.... having Cavs lose in 5 and having Love disappear.... that only helps the slim chances NYK has.
And Melo knows that. Even more reason for him to not pass the ball. Melo had Rose and Porzingis this past season and played the same old iso-ball for a lot of it, so it's not like him having more talent equates to ball movement. Maybe being with his friend, the best player in basketball, LeBron, would change things though.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If I'm CLE, I try to get Melo for TT, Shump, Frye, a future 1st and right to swap another future first.

Otherwise, I just may have to do a Love and Frye swap for Melo and Lee.
I don't know. How many years does Love have left? We already have a big man shooting threes. He is an excellent rebounder though.

One of the problems with Melo is that he's not the only one around his age, 33, with that kind of mileage on him. Noah, 32 didn't play enough because of injury and has kind of a big contract.

mafra

Legend
I would only trade for LOVE for the only purpose to flip him to POR for Harkless and first round picks.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't know. How many years does Love have left? We already have a big man shooting threes. He is an excellent rebounder though.

One of the problems with Melo is that he's not the only one around his age, 33, with that kind of mileage on him. Noah, 32 didn't play enough he because of injury and has kind of a big contract.

Shump is an offensive liability. Only way I want him in a Knicks uniform is off them bench playing 10 min in three quarters only. Love might be interesting as a primary offense guy, even if only for a couple of years. Prior to Cleveland he was a double double machine and he wouldn't have the pressure of trying to win a chip in NY.

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't care which direction Melo head toward east/west, just trade Melo on draft night and get something decent in return.
Melo is a good 3rd option scorer to put on one of the (Adam Silver) super-teams being built in the offseason.