Knicks tried to trade Carmelo to CLE

mafra

Legend
(David Richard/USA Today Sports Images)
The Knicks recently tried to engage the Cavaliers in a potential Carmelo Anthony for Kevin Love deal and were rebuffed, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Cavaliers F LeBron James made profanity-laced comments on Monday saying the team better not be happy personnel-wise and urging them to acquire a "playmaker."

Anthony weighed in on those comments on Wednesday, saying he was unsure whether James' 'playmaker' comment was about him.

Anthony met with Knicks president Phil Jackson last week about his future in New York and reiterated his desire to remain a Knick.

However, Anthony was also quoted last week saying he would consider waiving his no-trade clause if the Knicks asked him to.

Anthony, 32, is under contract through the 2018-19 season. He's making $24.5 million this season, and will earn $26.4 million in 2017-18, and $27.9 million in 2018-19.

He is averaging 22.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 3.1 assists in 45 games this season.

Love, 28, is under contract through the 2019-20 season, and is set to earn roughly $94 million during that span.

He is averaging 20.5 points and 10.9 rebounds in 38 games this season.

(Theknicksblog)

tiger0330

Legend
I said in that other thread I didn't think the Cavs would do it. I did read in that ESPN article that they're reporting some in the Knicks organization think it's time to move on from Melo, maybe it's the beginning of the end of the Melo era in NY. Clips I think are our next best chance to trade him somewhere but don't expect Doc to send BG here for him.

Melo has to go to a team that plays defense to cover his weaknesses so the Cavs would be a good fit for him. I just don't see the Cavs swapping Love for Melo, kind of a lateral move for them and why risk changing the chemistry when they won a chip with Love last year and they're still 1st in the EC despite them losing a few games recently.

mafra

Legend
I laugh at Cavs for playing games here.... Melo gives them a better chance to win a title. Now, if this report is accurate then CLE turned down NY's overtures for 2 reasons: either they're playing chicken to hold out for more OR Lebron himself doesn't want Carmelo.

I find it hard to believe that CLE would deny LJ's wishes....

--------

I wonder if NY "leaked" this in response to what's melo said after the meeting with management, how CA was amenable to a trade.

Now this surfaces, and it serves 2 purposes.

1) after finding out his run at starting in ASG has ended, now he find out a team wouldn't even swap Love for Melo. A guy CLE wanted out of town a year ago now won't even do a 1 for 1 swap.

2) now word confirms NY wants to trade Melo, so if Melo Was being honest when he said he would accept a trade.... then ball is back in his court.

So.... if it goes public Melo is on the block, well... different ballgame. Now a team like CLE knows they'll have competition.

It's looking more and more that something may happen in the next 4 weeks. Odds have increased from Needing a miracle to now requiring common sense.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I laugh at Cavs for playing games here.... Melo gives them a better chance to win a title. Now, if this report is accurate then CLE turned down NY's overtures for 2 reasons: either they're playing chicken to hold out for more OR Lebron himself doesn't want Carmelo.

I find it hard to believe that CLE would deny LJ's wishes....

--------

I wonder if NY "leaked" this in response to what's melo said after the meeting with management, how CA was amenable to a trade.

Now this surfaces, and it serves 2 purposes.

1) after finding out his run at starting in ASG has ended, now he find out a team wouldn't even swap Love for Melo. A guy CLE wanted out of town a year ago now won't even do a 1 for 1 swap.

2) now word confirms NY wants to trade Melo, so if Melo Was being honest when he said he would accept a trade.... then ball is back in his court.

So.... if it goes public Melo is on the block, well... different ballgame. Now a team like CLE knows they'll have competition.

It's looking more and more that something may happen in the next 4 weeks. Odds have increased from Needing a miracle to now requiring common sense.

Yeah just reviewed 3 scenarios with a friend over the phone and said no way this story can stand as is. Although let's roll with it...this means Cavs have essentially boxed in Carmelo's value to less than Love and it's public. It will only end really really really really bad for us if we can't get him moved this yr. This is nightmarish ugly right now, Carmelo walked out of that meeting knowing this organization has had enough, he's just hiding behind fake loyalty/NTC/fans hoping to see him as the victim.

Sad thing is Melo's been sleeping with the enemy for quite some time, he's only concerned about himself.

mafra

Legend
It'a certainly all coming apart for Melo right now, as reality is confronting him with undeniable facts about who and what he is as a player right now.

Whether he's dealt now or sometime next summer.... I seriously doubt Melo is on this team when next season begins.

If Mozgov fetched 2 first round picks last year, PJax has to turn Melo, Rose, BJ, Lee, Noah into a bunch of assets.

At least an extra 1st this year and a future 1st plus a young asset.... is this too much to hope for?

If I was PJ, I'm targeting these 6 players: Rubio, Faired, Clarkson, Crowder, Noel/okafor, plus a young SG somewhere and seeing if I can grab these types of players.

tiger0330

Legend
It'a certainly all coming apart for Melo right now, as reality is confronting him with undeniable facts about who and what he is as a player right now.

Whether he's dealt now or sometime next summer.... I seriously doubt Melo is on this team when next season begins.

If Mozgov fetched 2 first round picks last year, PJax has to turn Melo, Rose, BJ, Lee, Noah into a bunch of assets.

At least an extra 1st this year and a future 1st plus a young asset.... is this too much to hope for?

If I was PJ, I'm targeting these 6 players: Rubio, Faired, Clarkson, Crowder, Noel/okafor, plus a young SG somewhere and seeing if I can grab these types of players.
I'm hoping PJ is gone before the draft, do you really want him involved in any personnel decisions with his track record. I'm not crazy about Mills either, Zeke would love to come back but my preference would be to get someone like Marks of the Nets. Time to stop spending a fortune for these "Stars" that don't know crap.

Broadway

All Star
I called it

I clearly saw it tonight guys, seriously Lebron looked like..."Love if you cost this team Melo I'm gonna kill you and get away with it." He had that kind of look on his face tonight it was sad to be honest. Love looked a little lost in that huddle moment, he ended up getting support from Kyrie

mafra

Legend
If PJ doesn't opt out and walk, and he successfully navigates this trade deadline, then I have no problem letting him draft.

He did draft KP, WHG, Kuz. He took over a team with 1 1st rounder in his first 3 years and he might've discovered 2 cornerstone franchise pieces. Heck, if he asked for Crowder over draft picks (which DAL offered) and found a way to trade for IT, we'd build a statue for Phil.

Think about Walsh and those lottery picks. Yuck.

I wouldn't be sad if Phil walks.... but I don't think we can point to his draft selections as 1 of his many failures here in NY.

mafra

Legend
I called it

I clearly saw it tonight guys, seriously Lebron looked like..."Love if you cost this team Melo I'm gonna kill you and get away with it." He had that kind of look on his face tonight it was sad to be honest. Love looked a little lost in that huddle moment, he ended up getting support from Kyrie

Lebron shunned NY big time when he went to MIA. He can atone for a multitude of sins if he takes Melo off our hands (in a deal that helps NY).

jimkcchief88

All Star
The CAvs are playing us again and why not? We essentially gave them JR/Shump for nothing and won a chip. Now they are low balling us for Melo. I know most here on KO.COM blame Melo for the Knicks problems, but Melo is still an elite scorer who has been carrying this awful franchise for years now. We need to get younger with draft picks; We dont need another past his prime stationary shooter. Kevin Love's best days are behind him and at his best the Wolves were still garbage. This reminds me of the Kieth Van Horn debacle. Don't do it Phil. Get on the horn with Danny Ainge and get a player and a high pick for Melo no less or keep him. I agree this roster needs a shake up, but not a cheap garage sale.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have reached out to the Celtics and Clippers to "probe their interest in a trade" according to The Vertical.
We already knew that the Knicks also reached out to the Cavaliers, but they weren't interested in giving up Kevin Love. It's not clear if the Celtics or Clippers have any interest in Melo and it sounds like the Knicks just recently engaged them in talks. According to the report, Phil Jackson is "determined" to "rid the roster of Anthony and his contract" because he's ready to start rebuilding around Kristaps Porzingis. Anthony has a 15 percent trade kicker in his contract and he can void any trade he doesn't like, and while he would be interested in joining the Clippers or Cavs, it's not clear how he feels about Boston.

------

Would Melo be so insulted that Lebron didn't push for him that he would go to BOS to try and dethrone the champs?

I would prefer a deal with Philly or LAK over LAC tho.

tiger0330

Legend
The CAvs are playing us again and why not? We essentially gave them JR/Shump for nothing and won a chip. Now they are low balling us for Melo. I know most here on KO.COM blame Melo for the Knicks problems, but Melo is still an elite scorer who has been carrying this awful franchise for years now. We need to get younger with draft picks; We dont need another past his prime stationary shooter. Kevin Love's best days are behind him and at his best the Wolves were still garbage. This reminds me of the Kieth Van Horn debacle. Don't do it Phil. Get on the horn with Danny Ainge and get a player and a high pick for Melo no less or keep him. I agree this roster needs a shake up, but not a cheap garage sale.
Phil is a bonehead if he's the one that wants to pull the trigger on this Melo trade that tells you who's going to be on the losing end of that trade. I was calling for the Cavs to trade Love since last year, might have happened if they didn't win that chip in phenomenal fashion coming back from down 3-1. I thought Love would go to the Celts not to NY.

Watched the Pels beat the Cavs and Melo is not who they need anyway so I don't know why Griffin would do this deal. They couldn't stop anyone, so the D is the problem not the offense, they need a defensive big, so I don't see how Melo helps them. Besides they just got Korver and he's just adjusting to his new team, he's a great shooter and they haven't unleashed him yet playing backup minutes to Shump and Lebron.

Broadway

All Star
The Knicks have reached out to the Celtics and Clippers to "probe their interest in a trade" according to The Vertical.
We already knew that the Knicks also reached out to the Cavaliers, but they weren't interested in giving up Kevin Love. It's not clear if the Celtics or Clippers have any interest in Melo and it sounds like the Knicks just recently engaged them in talks. According to the report, Phil Jackson is "determined" to "rid the roster of Anthony and his contract" because he's ready to start rebuilding around Kristaps Porzingis. Anthony has a 15 percent trade kicker in his contract and he can void any trade he doesn't like, and while he would be interested in joining the Clippers or Cavs, it's not clear how he feels about Boston.

------

Would Melo be so insulted that Lebron didn't push for him that he would go to BOS to try and dethrone the champs?

I would prefer a deal with Philly or LAK over LAC tho.

Bos would be the ideal trading partner for us but believe you me Melo knows Lebron wants him there. Melo admitted it yesterday. Lebron's comments about FANTASY ball coyly indicates so. FANTASY is another word akin to DREAM as in it would be a dream to play with Melo but we have what we have

tiger0330

Legend
I said in that other thread I didn't think the Cavs would do it. I did read in that ESPN article that they're reporting some in the Knicks organization think it's time to move on from Melo, maybe it's the beginning of the end of the Melo era in NY. Clips I think are our next best chance to trade him somewhere but don't expect Doc to send BG here for him.
I called it. :)

mafra

Legend
Hahn killing Rose today, Said he has quit on the team (evident by his defense last night).

I think this LAC rumor is to scare CLE into action. There's no reason to deal Melo for JJ and Rivers and a late 1st. Not enough in return.

Now, with that said, if PJ is desperate to rid team of Melo, he might pull another Shump/Jr deal.... perhaps he flips JJ to somebody else.

But JJ turns 34 this summer and AR is just an average young player and the LAC 1st is something like the 27th pick.

Now, would multiple 1sts do the job? Maybe.

Kiyaman

Legend
I called it

Lebron added Korver to the guards backcourt for perimeter scoring alongside of Kyrie.
Plus Lebron put two years of work tutoring Love performance to give a double-double, picks, screens, and boxing-out.
Hustling performance Lebron knows he will not get from Melo night after night.

Lebron called it right .. the Knicks lose 65% of their games from Melo's playmaking style .. Knicks won 54 games with Melo from play-maker Jason Kidd playing the entire 4th quarter of each game.