Knicks tried to trade Carmelo to CLE

and1

Rotation player
Lebron added Korver to the guards backcourt for perimeter scoring alongside of Kyrie.
Plus Lebron put two years of work tutoring Love performance to give a double-double, picks, screens, and boxing-out.
Hustling performance Lebron knows he will not get from Melo night after night.

Lebron called it right .. the Knicks lose 65% of their games from Melo's playmaking style .. Knicks won 54 games with Melo from play-maker Jason Kidd playing the entire 4th quarter of each game.

and why'd they lose 65% of their games before melo got here? because of his playmaking style in denver? brandon jennings is the first player, since melo, to actually WANT to come to the knicks. why do you think that is? because of melo? no. it's because everybody knows this organization is a career killer. unless you get traded to a team that has lebron on it, for practically nothing in return.

mafra

Legend
This is why LAC might actually be a halfway decent bailout for NYK....

1) It'll allow NY to suck the rest of this season and next season, pretty much ensuring 2 lottery picks. Hit in those and snag a player in the second round (high second round pick) and we rebuild organically.

2) Since LAC doesn't have much to offer, we should demand a few 2nd round pick and their 2021 & 2023 1st. By then, they should suck, so hopefully as soon as KP-WHG and our few lottery picks are starting to get rolling.... the talent will be replenished with orrery picks coming in from LAC (which could also be traded).

3) Austin Rivers is a decent enough asset. Put him with Holiday and we have 2 decent, young guards.

4) Grab JJ.... a Professional grinder who can shoot. We probably could flip him for something even better....

Is it perfect? No. But losing is the key here. Melo will walk after next summer.... no reason we should try to win 32 games.... let's just stink and get 2 top draft picks. This is main emphasis for
Dealing Melo.

To me, JJ, Rivers, 2 unprotected picks down the road.... That's enough for me.

paris401

Starter
To me, JJ, Rivers, 2 unprotected picks down the road.... That's enough for me.

and that's about all we could get from the paper-clips... a trade for blake cant happen according to people with a lot more knowledge then me... something about u can't trade for 2 max players on extentions in the same year... the other player is rose... I guess if we trade rose , we could then get blake... phil's got his work cut out for him... at least the other team in town (nets) knows they suck...

Kiyaman

Legend
and why'd they lose 65% of their games before melo got here? because of his playmaking style in denver? brandon jennings is the first player, since melo, to actually WANT to come to the knicks. why do you think that is? because of melo? no. it's because everybody knows this organization is a career killer. unless you get traded to a team that has lebron on it, for practically nothing in return.

The season Melo arrived on the Feb deadline the Knicks were playing above .500 B.ball from Oct. to Feb. having a 29-26 record when Melo put on his first Knicks jersey .. at the time the Knicks didnt need Melo the Knicks only need a scoring-guard or veteran combo-guard.

In 2008, new GM Donnie Walsh sold owner Dolan on a sucker-idea called the 2010-Plan, where Walsh was given the green light to TANK two seasons plus do any means necessary on dumping contracts that goes beyond 2010.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lebron got upset with Cavs franchise for talking to the Knicks bout trading for play-maker Melo.
The Clippers are not given up their BIG-3 so there's no reason to talk bout a Melo trade to Clippers.
Boston Celtricks are not going to give up two players to receive Melo's outrageous contract to only become a first round playoff team the next 3 seasons.

Who's the next SUCKER team interested in taking Melo off our hands ..
If Phil Jackson was a real confident GM he would come up with a trade-plan to get rid of Melo n Rose before deadline to the next team for players and a first round pick.

tiger0330

Legend
From USA Today. I said in another post that a trade like below doesn't make us better but the purpose is to move on from Melo. Rivers I think is a given but if the choice is Redick or Crawford who should it be, Redick is 34 and expiring. JC is 36 and has 2 years remaining at 14M/per. Clips don't have a first rounder to trade until 2021.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, the Clippers have a strong interest in adding Anthony so long as they don’t have to give up one of their Big Three of Paul, Griffin or DeAndre Jordan. Considering they have made this clear to the Knicks, the illuminating part is that the conversation didn’t die right there.

With the Knicks known to think very favorably of 24-year-old Clippers guard Austin Rivers (career-high 11.9 points per game this season), and with various combinations of trade scenarios known to include other players like veteran shooting guard J.J. Redick (who will be a free agent this summer) and super sixth man Jamal Crawford (who signed a three-year, $42 million deal last summer), it seems clear that the Knicks’ interest level in parting ways with Anthony is growing by the day.

Anthony, who is owed $26.2 million next season and can opt out of his deal two summers from now, has a no-trade clause and is known to have a very short list of teams for which he would be willing to waive it.

Yet from Anthony to James, Wade and Paul, there is a common thread that is clearly driving their words and actions at the moment. This is about Father Time, with all of them aware that he waits for no man and all of them hell-bent on winning as much as possible before he finally catches up and ends their careers.

On Wednesday night, when Paul and James had one of those long phone conversations in which they connect like few others can, they shared a version of that truth.

“He’s not (losing his mind),” Paul said of James, who has publicly pressured the Cavs to add a playmaker on several occasions while highlighting missed opportunities from their past. “I know he’s not. I talked to him for a long time last night. He’s not losing (his mind). It’s a long season.

“He’s just trying to win, too, you know what I mean? It’s all in trying to win. Think about it. People, think in the big picture – four out of seven. Do you have enough power to beat who you need to beat four out of seven times?”

mafra

Legend
If Knicks get Rivers plus 2 unprotected 1st Rounders (2021, 2023), and JJ or JC (and then flip this for a 1st), then thisbis a good deal.

You get 1 young asset plus 2 potential lottery picks along with a late 1st round pick (after flipping JJ/JC).... this is what rebuilding is about. Better than holding on to Melo and he walks next summer, and is win a bunch more games that cost you extra ping pong balls.

Then, along with dealing BJ for a 1st, and possibly even Rose and Lee too for a 1st...

Full-blown rebuild. About time.

NY would be wise to punt the next 2 seasons.... not winning much anyway with CLE and GSW.

tiger0330

Legend
I think I'd rather have a player now that you possibly could convert into a pick or player later on rather than a draft pick that far into the future.

Maybe turn this into a 5 player trade Rivers. Jamal, Mbah a Moute for Melo, Quinn.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo goes to Clippers for 2 guards in Rivers/Crawful and 2 future 1st rounders, Doc Rivers will also want Baker & Plumlee cheap contracts throw in too.
NBA trades by the Knicks are more about how much the team want to get rid of a player .. with the Knicks always acting the most desperate party to want the trade more .. by Knicks giving up a 1st draft pick for a player the next-team want to get rid of SMH

The Clippers having a starter/finisher lineup of "CP3-Reddick-Melo-Griffin-D'Andre" ...maybe the Clippers pass to the WCF

tiger0330

Legend
The Clippers having a starter/finisher lineup of "CP3-Reddick-Melo-Griffin-D'Andre" ...maybe the Clippers pass to the WCF
I'd put that lineup right up there with the Warriors. Melo can't say no to waiving his NTC to get a chance to play in that lineup.

mafra

Legend
I think I would ask for Brice Johnson as well, along with Rivers.

I prefer a potential lottery pick in 2021 over a late first rounder this year or next. Greater potential to "hit" even if we have to wait. Look at BOS this year ethnic BKLY pick.

Plus, it's a lot easier to package that pick in 2021 for a trade in 2019...

Broadway

All Star
Via NBA Countdown...

Cleveland is lurking and Windhorst says Cleveland wants us to include more. Sounds like Cavs want WHG or KOQ plus a future asset for Love. He said Lebron wants Melo bad and the fact Melo is familiar with their core squad. As of now I'd say the Clippers are Phil's way of re-establishing a better frame work on Melo's value. After they name drop another day or two look for him to return to Cleveland and this to happen in the end...

Melo/KOQ/Holiday/2nd round pick(protected or swap option)

for

Love/Liggins/(1st future lottery protected)

Windhorst says Cleveland wants us to sweeten the pot and not do a straight up trade because they need a better bench. Don't be surprised to see Derrick Rose flipped and assets from this trade be included in a Cleveland deal.

Such as...

Derrick Rose for Rubio/Shabazz/Hill and Shabazz gets flipped to Cleveland

tiger0330

Legend
Via NBA Countdown...

Cleveland is lurking and Windhorst says Cleveland wants us to include more. Sounds like Cavs want WHG or KOQ plus a future asset for Love. He said Lebron wants Melo bad and the fact Melo is familiar with their core squad. As of now I'd say the Clippers are Phil's way of re-establishing a better frame work on Melo's value. After they name drop another day or two look for him to return to Cleveland and this to happen in the end...

Melo/KOQ/Holiday/2nd round pick(protected or swap option)

for

Love/Liggins/(1st future lottery protected)

Windhorst says Cleveland wants us to sweeten the pot and not do a straight up trade because they need a better bench. Don't be surprised to see Derrick Rose flipped and assets from this trade be included in a Cleveland deal.

Such as...

Derrick Rose for Rubio/Shabazz/Hill and Shabazz gets flipped to Cleveland
Damn this is getting exciting. Didn't think PJ or Mills had it in them but this is worthy of Slick Riley. Could care less about making the playoffs, lets go in the other direction and tank away. I'm not a big KLove fan but its better than that Clips package.

mafra

Legend
It definitely felt like Phil was releasing the LAC thing to put pressure on CLE; Lebron knows if we're willing to deal Melo for a package not including DJ or Blake, then Cavs are risking missing out by playing chicken.

Good news is we could probably flip Love to Boston.... but no way I trade WHG or Holiday.

and1

Rotation player
The season Melo arrived on the Feb deadline the Knicks were playing above .500 B.ball from Oct. to Feb. having a 29-26 record when Melo put on his first Knicks jersey .. at the time the Knicks didnt need Melo the Knicks only need a scoring-guard or veteran combo-guard.

In 2008, new GM Donnie Walsh sold owner Dolan on a sucker-idea called the 2010-Plan, where Walsh was given the green light to TANK two seasons plus do any means necessary on dumping contracts that goes beyond 2010.

so that's 1 season where the knicks were barely over the .500 mark well after the halfway point. 1 season.
i'm sorry, but that's not enough for me to throw a big heap of the blame on just one player or coach or GM. this organization is just shady and suspect AT BEST. Something stinks up in there.

mafra

Legend
5 things that cost the NYK over the last 30 years:

1) Bernard King injury on 3/23/85, blowing out his knee, and costing NYK fans years of King-Ewing combo.

2) Knicks had 2 lottery picks in the 1987 draft. GM made horrible deals for marginal vets (nobody would even be on the team by 1989).... those 2 picks could've been Scottie Pippen & Reggie Miller. The Knicks did get Marc Jax later in this draft, but imagine the 90s with this team:

Rod Strickland
Reggie Miller
Scottie Pippen
Charles Oakley
Patrick Ewing.

3) On 09/20/2000, the Knicks dealt Patrick Ewing....

(NY Times) "In return, the Knicks will receive the sharpshooting Los Angeles Lakers forward Glen Rice, the Lakers backup center Travis Knight and Phoenix Suns center Luc Longley.

In addition, they will receive several peripheral players -- guard Vernon Maxwell, forwards Lazaro Borrell and Vladimir Stepania -- and a first-round draft pick and two second-round picks in 2001 from Seattle, as well as the Lakers' first-round pick in 2001. The Knicks also sent Chris Dudley, their backup center, and a first-round pick in 2001 to Phoenix.

The blockbuster deal was Layden's first significant move with the Knicks... The trade represented the insuperable gap that had developed between the 38-year-old Ewing and the Knicks.

''Glen Rice has had a tremendous career and we are happy to have him,'' Van Gundy said. ''We look forward to Allan, Latrell and Glen forming a very dynamic perimeter.''

The gulf between Ewing and the news media and fans was never more apparent than last month, After he was criticized heavily by the media and fans, it seemed nearly impossible for Ewing to return for this season."

------

Knicks could've drafted Zach Randolph & Tony Parker in that 2001 draft to make this trade memorable, but instead they made more trades and grabbed Michael wright and some idiot named Chenowerth.

The next year, NY drafts Nene (ahead of Amare) and dealt him to DEN for Mcdyess.

Go back to 1999, when Knicks took Weiss over Artest, and in 2000 when they tried to atone, and selected St Johns SG Lavar Postell over Michael Redd....

Well, that's how you screw up the post Ewing Rebuild....

Tony Parker
Michael Redd
Ron Artest
Zach Randolph
Amar'e

We were so close, again.

4) We can almost look at every draft since then.... especially the Curry trade in 2004 -- we did get a pick (Wilson Chandler) but gave away picks Lamarcus Aldridge and J-Noah.... we can look at foolish draft decisions.... but the biggest killer was not trading for Kyle Lowry when TOR dangled him.... instead we chose Bargnani.

5) not tanking the first 2 seasons when Walsh took over ruined NYK for a decade. Larry Hughes, Chris Duhon, Al Harrington were too good.... instead of winning only 18-20 games, vets like this pushed us close to 25-30 wins.... those first 2 drafts, when we ended up with Gallinati and Hill, we were 4 losses away from instead hitting draft lottery gold with a backcourt of Russell Westbrook & Steph Curry, playing together right now in the Mecca, reminding us all of Frazier and Monroe.

Dolan....Layden.... Walsh.... the fans.... so many villains in this sad story.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I was looking at their 2018 pick but I see they dealt their 2017 1st to Portland in an exchange. NBA rule says you can't deal out of consecutive drafts. But a future 1st can be conveyed as long as they find a way to get back into the 2018 draft, maybe via another trade. We could do a 2020 1st with no protection and Lakers/Portland 2019 and 2020 2nd round picks