What's your opinion of Jeff Hornacek?

Kiyaman

Legend
maybe u are over rating the vets on the roster... and maybe our youngsters are not so talented....

Its the head-coach!
Horn never went with a all veteran lineup this season, nor has Horn went with a big-man lineup for defense .. Horn had a part in the Tanking 2016-17 Knicks season too .. Dolan n Phil cant TANK without the help of Horn n Melo.

Horn let Melo control the game-tempo n the ball on offense for 35 minute a night.
Rose n Jennings rarely ran a team-ball play .. Jennings did not want to be apart of tanking.
The poor defense we receive from trio starters Rose/Melo/KP .. any winning coach would have reduce the minute of playing-time on all three players after our Christmas loss.

mafra

Legend
I keep thinking about what Shaq said recently:

Shaquille O'Neal praised Knicks team president Phil Jackson and credited his triangle offense as a main reason for the Lakers winning three championships while the two were together in Los Angeles, writes the NY Post.

Shaq played under Jackson from 1999-2004 with the Lakers and is a strong proponent of the offensive system. He blamed the players for failing to commit to the system in New York as the reason why it has not worked during Jackson's tenure with the Knicks.

"If you look at how the second team runs the triangle, guys who don't have a lot of experience in the game and a lot of habits, they ran a lot of it late in the fourth quarter and got a couple of backdoor plays,'' O'Neal said. "It definitely does work. Look at the guys, when Phil put this team together, I was liking it: Porzingis, Carmelo, Rose, [Joakim] Noah. I said, 'OK, it's going to work if they embrace the triangle. I like it.' But again, the ball can never stop.''

Carmelo Anthony has received the brunt of the criticism for not keeping the ball moving. Shaq recalled facing some of those same issues in his early days of playing in the triangle.

"Guys are stubborn - it took us awhile to break it, too,'' O'Neal said. "When we first started, we were doing terrible. I had to look at the mirror and say, 'OK, I was probably one of the main problems.' Because I like to get the ball and tell everyone to move out of the way and get to work, so I had to look at the mirror and say, 'Let me try it.' It became easier. I get it. [Guys] cutting, and it opened up for me and made it easier for me.''

The Knicks have fluctuated in and out of the triangle offense this season and are currently 27-43.

?I have three championships because of the triangle,?? O?Neal said late Monday in Los Angeles after calling the Knicks-Clippers game for TNT alongside ex-Knicks coach Derek Fisher.

?You always hear people say, of course the triangle works with Mike [Michael Jordan], Scottie [Pippen], Shaq and Kobe [Bryant], which is true. But if you look at all our games, it was the others who propelled us to the next level.?

----

Add to what Horn recently said about our proficient offensive stars settling for their first look instead of passing on finding a better shot...

I have no problem if Phil is dedicated and sticks this out 2 more years if two things coincide with that: Horn is on board 100% with the triangle and PJax vision/philosophy AND we go with youth and rebuild....

Draft Fox or Ball or the French PG. make something of those 2 second rounders.... trade Melo.

Let's build this from scratch and build a system. I think Porz and WHG can be SA Spurs type players, coachable. Let them set tone. Keep Thomas and Randle and other kids.... even Holiday. Take our lumps and build thru draft.

Kiyaman

Legend
But I thought both of these players helped #kporzee?

Hornacek performance as the 2016-17 Knick head-coach .. Fired at end of season!
27-55 record season ....
There are no reason for Hornacek to be mentioning next season after coaching a entire season without any team-ball or team-defense or any successful plays after a time-out ...no Knick player were on the same-page as Hornacek!

tiger0330

Legend
As most know, defense was the problem this year so I don't see how the triangle fixes that. The triangle problems are going to bite us in the ass again. Guys hate it, takes a while to learn it, I don't think it fits the modern NBA.

A comment I heard from Ryan Anderson of the Rockets was it takes less effort to play D'Antoni's SSOL offense which infers you can use that energy you save on D in a perimeter spread offense like D'Ants.

I guess Melo and DRose are as good as gone with this move along with their other issues.

and1

Rotation player

and it will be awful, slow, predictable and easily defended. but kp will like it! and weren't we scoring more points when we stepped away from the triangle a bit, too? but i guess that doesn't matter to ego-maniac master manipulator phil action jackson.
oh, and our defense will still suck too.
so yeah, look forward to sucking again next year and phil blaming everyone else, but himself, for it.

Kiyaman

Legend
As most know, defense was the problem this year so I don't see how the triangle fixes that. The triangle problems are going to bite us in the ass again. Guys hate it, takes a while to learn it, I don't think it fits the modern NBA.

A comment I heard from Ryan Anderson of the Rockets was it takes less effort to play D'Antoni's SSOL offense which infers you can use that energy you save on D in a perimeter spread offense like D'Ants.

I guess Melo and DRose are as good as gone with this move along with their other issues.

DEFENSE Wins Championships!
Defense has been our problem for the Knicks from day one of the 2011 Melo Trade .. the Knicks were lucky have two successful season during the Knicks Melo era, both Knicks success came from performing a DEFENSIVE strategy that works .... the first successful season were when Melo had a groin injury that kept Melo out for 14 games, which let coach Dantoni give the team to center Tyson Chandler's DEFENSIVE-leadership to guide and give confidence to a young D-League playmaking PG-Jeremy Lin whom took the Knicks on a 10-3 Lin-Sanity run (without Melo) having teammates "Jefferies and Landry Fields" relentless DEFENSE in the rotation for the consistent wins.
The 2nd time the Knicks had success with Melo .. were in 2012 offseason we signed a HOF playmaking PG-Jason Kidd offense/DEFENSE-Leadership plus signed Old-Timers "Rasheed Wallace / Kurt Thomas /and Kenyon Martin" for their combine veteran leadership for the 2012-13 season to lead the Knicks to a 54 win season.

When u let top scorer Melo or Rose control 75% of the team offensive possession ....
Melo poor no-defensive team-leadership has a career of 32 win season ratio ..
Rose poor no-defensive team-leadership career after his MVP season has a 42 win season ratio ..
When u do the math .. Rose is more of a KEEPER next season than Melo by 10 more wins!

The reason I give Jeff Horn 75% of the TANKING Blame .. 25% goes to Phil for hiring Horn to coach Melo!

All head coaches receive scouting-reports of their opponents team, plus their opponents franchise-players strong and weak areas .. every fan knew Shaq weak area HackaShaq .. the scouting-report on Melo are well known, especially by west coast playoff teams knocking Melo out of the playoffs in the first round consistently.

Last edited: