NBA Commissioner Adam Silver statement on Dolan / Oak

Kiyaman

Legend
NBA COMMISSIONER SILVER STATEMENT REGARDING OAKLEY AND MSG SITUATION

NEW YORK, Feb. 13, 2017 ? NBA Commissioner Adam Silver issued the following statement today regarding the situation involving Charles Oakley and Madison Square Garden:
?It is beyond disheartening to see situations involving members of the NBA family like the one that occurred at Madison Square Garden this past week. In an effort to find a path forward, New York Knicks owner Jim Dolan, Charles Oakley, and I met today at the league office, along with Michael Jordan, who participated by phone.
?Both Mr. Oakley and Mr. Dolan were apologetic about the incident and subsequent comments, and their negative impact on the Knicks organization and the NBA. Mr. Dolan expressed his hope that Mr. Oakley would return to MSG as his guest in the near future.
?I appreciate the efforts of Mr. Dolan, Mr. Oakley and Mr. Jordan to work towards a resolution of this matter.?

Kiyaman

Legend
Oak didn't accept Dolan's invitation to the Garden ....

Smart move Oak .. the embarrassment of being arrested and dragged out the Garden by Dolan's goons deserve EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA

tiger0330

Legend
I doubt Oak is going to get a public apology from Dolan. Dolan feels Oak verbally abused his MSG employees and shares the blame for this fiasco and he's the one that should be apologizing.

Didn't have an opinion about Oak until the this happened but I got the impression from his interviews that he's stubborn and hard headed just like Dolan.

I don't see any hatchet being buried between those two.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I think both have huge ego's that will never let themselves be the first to say their sorry.I got to say though if I was in Oak's shoes and a person like Dolan would go on national tv and call me a drunk and needs help when Dolan is the recovering alcohlic I would want a public apology.

and1

Rotation player
well i think both parties here share some blame. but dolan called oak an alcoholic publicly. so maybe he should publicly apologize for calling him an alcoholic? i think that would be a pretty cool thing to do. the key word there, though, is cool. dolan is not cool. dolan is a douche.
and what's up with him calling everybody an alcoholic in the first place? he called that guy who wrote him that letter a couple of years ago an alcoholic. you remember that, right? the guy who basically called him out on being a terrible owner and fostering a toxic environment within the knicks organization? yeah, he got called an alcoholic by dolan, even though dolan probably didn't know the first thing about him except for the obvious fact that he was a disgruntled fan who'd had enough. 'yeah, i'm james dolan, and if you criticize me obviously you're an alcoholic.'
so what's up with that?
and as a knicks fan, i'm supposed to believe that none of this stuff is supposed to ever get into the locker room and affect the players, right?
yeah, right.

Kiyaman

Legend
I think both have huge ego's that will never let themselves be the first to say their sorry.I got to say though if I was in Oak's shoes and a person like Dolan would go on national tv and call me a drunk and needs help when Dolan is the recovering alcohlic I would want a public apology.

So true .. Dolan disowned a Knicks legend Oakley for verbal berating his ex-team that went down-hill after 1 season of trading Oakley, plus stayed a bottom NBA team for over 15 seasons.
As a owner of the Knicks .. Dolan should have been proud of a Knicks Legend buying a ticket to sit in the same row with him. Knicks Legend Oakley or Ewing would be the best big-man coach for the Knicks young future star KP.
Dolan reaction of Oak man in the Garden were a poor childish move on his part that may cost him big time by .. getting NBA Commissioner Adam Silver involve a long with strong comments from top NBA HOF players taking the side of Oakley .. all of James Dolan's idiotic past/present are coming to light from his own doing.
We have NBA players making bold comments now of "No NBA player want to play for the Knicks!" .....

Draymond Green really found a way to make himself a target in this situation, which really could not have had less to do with him.

Also, Oakley now lashing out at other Knicks' former stars, including Ewing. Anyone want to walk away from this situation altogether at this point?

Last edited: