Is Kristaps Porzingis the 6th best player under 25?

mafra

Legend
What happened to stanley Johnson? Only 4 games where he scored in double figures? Some were saying he was better than KP end of last season.

Broadway

All Star
Even if he had the Reggie Jackson I'm the man persona. His game isn't there yet for him to be called a franchise player. He's made nominal improvement this year but he needs to make a leap ahead next year. He wants to train with Dirk but I don't see him making that leap by just doing that. Hit the gym like the Brow did before his 3rd season, develop that lower body strength to be able to hold your ground in the post and back guys down and develop a post game. The Knicks are not only awful on the court but are they an organization that can develop young players, I think the jury is still out on that one with KP being the model.

His game isn't there because his mentality isn't there. The Westbrook mentality makes you turn into a freak with regimen and personal expectations/demands. I love The Brow(I think he's the best player in the league when 100% healthy) but it's not like his work ethic has kept him physically fit to endure a full NBA Season. Brow has the mentality but he needs to fully examine what he's doing in the off-season to reach pinnacle

KP has to have the Jordan/Bird/Kobe/Jerry Rice/Hershel Walker/Floyd Mayweather/John Jones/Derek Jeter/Barry Bonds/Walter Payton/Hakeem/Reggie Miller/Pacquiao mentality so that he goes through freakish off-season workouts because he personally believes he's gonna be great. Stop looking at the teammate(Melo) at the other locker who doesn't/didn't have this mentality. He has to mentally create his own legend, I don't see it. I see a competitive spirit but not "I'm Da Man" persona, we need him to have this. He can't be a UNICORN if there's no win at all cost edge to him otherwise it's just a CORNY tag assigned to him. Every great team has an alpha on it and it's clear who that player was Day 1 coming into the franchise.

Working out with Dirk can do some good but Dirk's history of off-season work ethic are legendary because he's self made. This is what the GREAT ONES do, they create their own

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I?m down on Anthony Davis. He has Cousins and Holiday and yet NO is still just a .500 team. Sooner or later talent has to equate to wins.

tiger0330

Legend
I’m down on Anthony Davis. He has Cousins and Holiday and yet NO is still just a .500 team. Sooner or later talent has to equate to wins.
Timely comment with Woj article on AD frustration with not winning. Davis is averaging 25.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.0 blocks. So far, he has career highs in true shooting percentage (64.2), 3-point percentage (34.9) and points in the paint per game (14.1).

Can't even blame it on a lack of chemistry between him and Cousins because Cuz is having a solid year as well. Holiday is the one that seems lost if anything. Too early to judge if the Cousins AD experiment is a bust but this years play by both together give hope that eventually the Pels will get it together.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-great-big-trade-obsession-adrian-wojnarowski

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I?m down on Anthony Davis. He has Cousins and Holiday and yet NO is still just a .500 team. Sooner or later talent has to equate to wins.

N.O. Pelicans need help in their coaching-staff .. coach Gentry is a decent offensive coach .. the Pelicans needs a defensive coach.
I thought coach Alvin Gentry was gonna have a lot of long winning streaks by using Spurs coach Pop old big man system this season having twin towers Anthony n Cousin plus Holiday n Rondo ..
Then i recall 2006-7 .. the SSOL Phoenix Suns head coach Dantoni and assistant coach Gentry could not get Shaq and Amare to co-exist on the court together

Paul1355

All Star
Porzingis has the talent of a top 10 talent, the issue is that a top player needs to be consistent and reliable to carry a team. Many times KP has gone ice cold in games where we needed the team to step up. Beasley honestly saved a few games when KP was a no show offensively. As of right now KP is averaging more points than he will finish with. He has a propensity to get hot in the beginning of the year and fading slowly. Kp started so well that if he fades it will be in the 20 ppg range which is still admirable but not a #6 talent. What will separate KP would be other parts of his game such as rebounding and shot blocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk