Willis Reed thinks Phil Jackson should coach the Knicks.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
[h=1]Willis Reed thinks Phil Jackson should be Knicks coach[/h]

Knicks legend Willis Reed knows what ails the franchise ? not having Phil Jackson as its head coach.
Attending the Hall of Fame press conference Saturday, Reed, a Louisiana resident, told The Post that Jackson has assembled enough talent to win but needs a great coach. A coach like Jackson.
Reed never mentioned coach Jeff Hornacek by name, but said the Knicks aren?t getting the most out of their roster?
?Unfortunately for us as Knicks fans, if Phil Jackson had been coaching all year, we would?ve won more games,?? Reed told The Post. ?His toughness and ability to make guys concentrate, that?s what I loved about him as a coach. He got guys to play harder and smarter.?
? NY Post

tiger0330

Legend
He's a triangle coach, Fisher his hand picked coach even said the triangle is outdated in todays NBA.

For better or worse the way to win is by being successful shooting the 3 in today's NBA. Last year the 4 teams that made it to the finals were also the top 4 3pt shooting teams.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
I'm under the impression that Phil is playing mind games with Melo so that he changes his desire with his NTC.

Phil maybe telling his coaches to run the triangle so that the knicks get a higher pick in the draft and Melo gets so frustrated that he walks.

Now I'm not saying it' going to work , but Melo even got dissed in the All-Star game when early on, nobody wanted to pass him the ball that was hilarious.:teeth:

Melo had to take shots when there was a timeout called. LOL

Kiyaman

Legend
We all wanted Phil to coach .. Phil had no success helping Jeanie Buss or Dolan put together a winning club as an advisor or president.
The triangle will never work if all 5 players are not on the same-page .. putting all 5 players on the same-page on offense/defense are Phil Jackson specialty.
Head coach George Karl and PG Chauncey Billups would have bowed-down to salute Phil Jackson if he was able to put Carmelo Anthony on the same-page with teammates.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
We all wanted Phil to coach .. Phil had no success helping Jeanie Buss or Dolan put together a winning club as an advisor or president.
The triangle will never work if all 5 players are not on the same-page .. putting all 5 players on the same-page on offense/defense are Phil Jackson specialty.
Head coach George Karl and PG Chauncey Billups would have bowed-down to salute Phil Jackson if he was able to put Carmelo Anthony on the same-page with teammates.

Kiyaman, has anybody (reporters) asked Melo why he doesn't want to play as a team during the 1st 3 qtrs of the game, the way Jeff wants the team to play ? Would love to hear Melo's ANSWER !

and1

Rotation player
I'm under the impression that Phil is playing mind games with Melo so that he changes his desire with his NTC.

Phil maybe telling his coaches to run the triangle so that the knicks get a higher pick in the draft and Melo gets so frustrated that he walks.

Now I'm not saying it' going to work , but Melo even got dissed in the All-Star game when early on, nobody wanted to pass him the ball that was hilarious.:teeth:

Melo had to take shots when there was a timeout called. LOL

whether phil is TRYING to play mind games with melo or not, whatever his intentions are, he shouldn't make them public the way he did. no one wants to come play for a guy who throws one of his key players under the bus like that. whatever his intentions are, however much of a genius he THINKS he is, that was a dumb move by phil. all the while continuing to use distraction to avoid discussing his horrible contract with noah. he's a putz.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
But how does one coach a team with young players all around him Melo?

Woodson played Melo Iso ball and won 54 games, but in the playoffs that style of play is soooooo easy to defend, it gives opponents too much rest on the defensive end.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
Phil Jackson couldn't trade Derrick Rose, just like the Pacers couldn't trade Paul George. No smart GM, would take the chance of giving up picks or prospects and Rose or George refuse to sign with them long term.

Gm's around the league knows Melo and Rose are playing for themselves to make more money for their own brand.

Phil Jackson couldn't trade Derrick Rose, just like the Pacers couldn't trade Paul George. No smart GM, would take the chance of giving up picks or prospects and Rose or George refuse to sign with them long term.

Gm's around the league knows Melo and Rose are playing for themselves to make more money for their own brand.

What I read online implied that teams like the Nuggets and Celtics made big offers including 1st round picks for George and the Pacers refused. Rose is a different story

Playa2

Benchwarmer
What I read online implied that teams like the Nuggets and Celtics made big offers including 1st round picks for George and the Pacers refused. Rose is a different story

George was quoted as saying that he would only sign with the Pacers or Lakers long term, Ainge knew that.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
ANOTHER HEAD COACH THINKS PHIL SHOULD COACH THE KNICKS

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...going-run-triangle-offense-phil-jackson-coach

GREENBURGH, NY -- Ex-Knicks coach Larry Brown thinks team president Phil Jackson should coach the club if he wants New York to run the triangle offense, which the team has re-emphasized since the All-Star break."I can't figure out how you can hire a coach and tell him how you want him to play. I can't figure out how you can draft players for a coach that you know coaches a certain a style, and has been successful doing that style, and get him to play a style that you feel comfortable with," Brown said in an interview on Sirius XM NBA Radio, alluding to Jackson and Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek.
"Then you coach. You're talking about one of the greatest coaches in the history of our sport. Let him coach. If he wants to do the triangle, put it in, let him coach it, and then teach everybody around and get the players that are comfortable playing it."
Earlier this season, Hornacek, in his first season in New York, de-emphasized the triangle, saying at one point that the club was running it "much less" than 50 percent of the time. Hornacek said late last week, though, that the club has been running the triangle more often in games after the All-Star break. He added that Jackson was not behind the decision.
Jackson, of course, won a combined 11 championships while using the triangle offense as a coach in Chicago and Los Angeles, but the Knicks have struggled to run the offense during Jackson's presidency.

"I can't figure out how you can hire a coach and tell him how you want him to play," former Knicks coach Larry Brown said of the Phil Jackson-Jeff Hornacek dynamic.
New York ran the offense exclusively in Jackson's first full season with Derek Fisher as coach. Fisher tried to tweak the offense in his second season in New York, which was a source of contention between he and Jackson, sources say. Jackson fired Fisher and, after a stint with Kurt Rambis as interim head coach, hired Hornacek. In a clear sign that the triangle has returned to prominence, Hornacek said on Tuesday that players will be evaluated at the end of the season, in part, based on their ability to execute the triangle aspects of the offense.
"As times goes on, you say can they get it? Are they getting better at it?" Hornacek said, when asked about the system of offense. "End of the year comes and we're having our discussions and you say, 'Can this guy play this offense?' We'll say either yea or nay or he's getting it, he's getting better. So I'm sure that's part of evaluations this summer."

It's unclear what this means for players like Derrick Rose, a free agent this summer who last week talked about how difficult it was to learn the offense and referred to it as "random basketball."

Current Knicks have privately complained about the triangle as well, bemoaning its slow pace and predictive nature. It's worth noting, though, that the Knicks have been competitive in their past two games while running more of Jackson's preferred offense.
The Knicks, of course, have struggled on both ends of the floor for much of the season. They enter play Tuesday 5.5 games out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference, having lost seven of their past 10 games.
New York ranks 16th in offensive efficiency and 25th in defensive efficiency, performing well below internal and external expectations entering the season.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Phil is too lazy and doesn't care enough to coach this team. Whatever you think about Pat Riley(who I personally despise) at least he put his money where his mouth is and was right there at practice along with Spo. PJAx is too busy counting his $$$$ and rings that we all now know MJ,Scottie,Shaq, and Kobe won for him. Shame on you Phil:(

paris401

Starter
who is jax going to coach??? rose??? noah?? Me-Lo? lee? omurphy (or whatever his "O" name is).... no unless there is a pipen/mj/kobe/shaq on the bench, he aint coaching..

and1

Rotation player
much respect to the captain, but phil coaching this team is a terrible idea. you think he's playing mind games now? you think he's being a manipulative putz now just so he can get what he wants exactly HOW he wants it? it'll get even worse if he becomes coach. a lot worse. and the results, believe it or not, will be worse.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiyaman, has anybody (reporters) asked Melo why he doesn't want to play as a team during the 1st 3 qtrs of the game, the way Jeff wants the team to play ? Would love to hear Melo's ANSWER !

Melo has never been a team-ball player nor a uptempo-player in Syracuse or the NBA .. People hate to admit Melo's big EGO has been a court distraction to teammates and the Knicks winning. Melo's 4th quarter ball-hoggin from 2011 to 2017 has the Knicks as a .400 team the past 6 seasons.

But how does one coach a team with young players all around him Melo?

Woodson played Melo Iso ball and won 54 games, but in the playoffs that style of play is soooooo easy to defend, it gives opponents too much rest on the defensive end.

Woodson won 54 Knicks game from the outstanding performance of HOF PG-Jason Kidd leading the point the entire 12 minute of the 4th quarter in those 54 wins .. plus having great depth from a veteran-bench with experience in winning unbeatable games the final 8 minute of a game. Having Melo on a team with plenty old-time veteran stars leaders were the same as Melo on the Olympic Team. Melo's Ego and JRsmith silliness made the old-time veteran teammates quit playing winning ball in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Playa2

Benchwarmer
The problem with this team is it has zero consistency from player to player. The only consistent thing is the losing.

That's where Phil Jackson comes in, either you play smart and hard for him or he ships you out!

and1

Rotation player
Melo has never been a team-ball player nor a uptempo-player in Syracuse or the NBA .. People hate to admit Melo's big EGO has been a court distraction to teammates and the Knicks winning. Melo's 4th quarter ball-hoggin from 2011 to 2017 has the Knicks as a .400 team the past 6 seasons.

Woodson won 54 Knicks game from the outstanding performance of HOF PG-Jason Kidd leading the point the entire 12 minute of the 4th quarter in those 54 wins .. plus having great depth from a veteran-bench with experience in winning unbeatable games the final 8 minute of a game. Having Melo on a team with plenty old-time veteran stars leaders were the same as Melo on the Olympic Team. Melo's Ego and JRsmith silliness made the old-time veteran teammates quit playing winning ball in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

i'm sorry, but this argument doesn't really make sense. if the veterans on that team quit playing winning ball because of one team mate's silliness and another team mate's ego, then they weren't really that good and professional to begin with.
i'm sorry, but if i'm in the middle of the playoffs with a real chance at getting to the conference finals, i'm not going to quit playing winning ball just because of one guy's ego and another guy's silliness. i'm going to continue to do exactly what i'd been doing all season long to help the team win. your own stock goes up the deeper you go and more big games you win.