Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Orlando Magic 7:00 pm 3/6/2017 [Game#64]

Randle shot poorly, but he had 7 points, 5 boards, and 5 assists with zero turnovers in 25 minutes. He needs to get major minutes going forward. We literally have nothing to lose

tiger0330

Legend
Game ball to the second unit for a set of outstanding+/- numbers. This game opened up some eyes about Iso Melo and One Trick Pony Rose.

If they want Melo to waive that NTC sit him the rest of the way and I bet he agrees to go to the Lakers. I wonder what Magic thinks of Melo? Ainge is not a Melo fan and I don't think Griffin in CLE is either.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Randle shot poorly, but he had 7 points, 5 boards, and 5 assists with zero turnovers in 25 minutes. He needs to get major minutes going forward. We literally have nothing to lose
This line-up has a better chance of making the Playoffs this season.

tiger0330

Legend
This line-up has a better chance of making the Playoffs this season.
I made a half kidding post that going with the young guns instead of the starters might result in them making the playoffs instead of tanking. At this point, Horn should play the 2nd unit and he maybe able to have his cake and eat it too by playing them.

and1

Rotation player
this was a feel good win for sure, but let's face it, the magic out-tanked us :cool:
funny how a big part of that 4th quarter comeback came with KP on the bench, but nobody really seems to mention that.
that kuz posterizing dunk was pretty sweet though. randle looked pretty good. let's see if he can bring it like that consistently. I hope so. the Q came in and immediately changed the tone of the game. it was good to see the younger guys get more playing time. i'd like to see melo sit out the game on wednesday and see if we get the same results against the bucks. i honestly doubt it, but we'll see.
if anybody thinks that this team will win more games like this without melo, let me remind you... this was the orlando magic. say it with me now: the or.lan.do.ma.gic. they're awful, even more awful than us if you can believe that. go get your hands on the most recent edition of any english language dictionary, look up 'awful' and the orlando magic will be in there somewhere, not foo far behind the brooklyn nets hahaaaa.
just had to get that out of the way. on to more relevant matters... KP started at center in this game and the previous game against the warriors. we got off to very slow starts on offense in these games. is it a coincidence? i kind of think it was, for the most part. it would be interesting to see him start that spot for the rest of the season, just so we can know for sure whether or not we should go ahead with that for next season. i would also like to see more of baby-gasol and the Q on the floor together. i get the feeling that could be a very devastating frontcourt. randle, baker, holiday, baby-gasol and the Q. you can swop in the kuz for either baker or holiday depending on the matchups or foul-trouble issues when needed. i would like to see that for the remaining games just to get a better idea of what we're dealing with and make decisions this summer based on that.

tiger0330

Legend
PJ is in a good situation with that win yesterday. Give the majority of the minutes to that second unit, Horn already has said they play with more energy on D and the ball moves better, and see if they can put together a winning streak to make the playoffs. If they do, you pretty much force Melo to waive his NTC because he's not going to take kindly to being a second fiddle the rest of the way, same with DRose, he'll opt to go elsewhere.

If the young guys don't win the Knicks get a better pick in the draft and PJ knows he's got to blow up the team during the off-season. The last thing I would do is play the 2 highest paid guys on the team Melo and DRose major minutes the rest of the way.

Kiyaman

Legend
this was a feel good win for sure, but let's face it, the magic out-tanked us :cool:
funny how a big part of that 4th quarter comeback came with KP on the bench, but nobody really seems to mention that.
that kuz posterizing dunk was pretty sweet though. randle looked pretty good. let's see if he can bring it like that consistently. I hope so. the Q came in and immediately changed the tone of the game. it was good to see the younger guys get more playing time. i'd like to see melo sit out the game on wednesday and see if we get the same results against the bucks. i honestly doubt it, but we'll see.
if anybody thinks that this team will win more games like this without melo, let me remind you... this was the orlando magic. say it with me now: the or.lan.do.ma.gic. they're awful, even more awful than us if you can believe that. go get your hands on the most recent edition of any english language dictionary, look up 'awful' and the orlando magic will be in there somewhere, not foo far behind the brooklyn nets hahaaaa.
just had to get that out of the way. on to more relevant matters... KP started at center in this game and the previous game against the warriors. we got off to very slow starts on offense in these games. is it a coincidence? i kind of think it was, for the most part. it would be interesting to see him start that spot for the rest of the season, just so we can know for sure whether or not we should go ahead with that for next season. i would also like to see more of baby-gasol and the Q on the floor together. i get the feeling that could be a very devastating frontcourt. randle, baker, holiday, baby-gasol and the Q. you can swop in the kuz for either baker or holiday depending on the matchups or foul-trouble issues when needed. i would like to see that for the remaining games just to get a better idea of what we're dealing with and make decisions this summer based on that.

I like what u wrote .. however u cant mention Orlando Magic as an awful team when the NBA league has 12 teams including us performing like a LOTTERY team.
The win without Iso-Melo were a great win because we went with a 10-Man Rotation to have fresh-legs in the 2nd half of the game to win on defensive-effort in the 4th quarter .. something we should have been doing at the start of the season .. our roster have not had one player on it that deserve or earned to receive over 30 minute of playing-time every game from the performance we seen this season or the past 3 seasons.
I'm sorry to say but Melo's 4th qtr. performance in the past 3 seasons = 75 -153 having Melo receive 35 minute games .. Melo's playing-time should have been decreased to 27 minute per game 2 seasons ago to have energy in the 4th qtr..

Randle showed us a well performance in pre-season plus a well performance last night, Randle's 5 assist and no turn-overs in 26 minute also showed how well he mix along side Knicks teammates .. u dont have to be a brain-surgeon on why we resign Randle the same day PG-Jennings were let go ..

Quinn & Willie are a small twin-tower to outscore/out-rebound (half its) opponents for 26 minute a night plus when we add Noah's defense leads to offense leadership in the game rotation for 26 minute a night .. woulda / coulda / shoulda took us to the playoffs .... Noah's being out so much this season has a lot to do with how coach Horn and Melo run the offense/defense .. plus the 48 minute of isolation plays having no-defensive-effort had PG-Jennings and PG Udrih want to be waive or traded by the deadline speaks volume on our performance as a team.

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
PJ is in a good situation with that win yesterday. Give the majority of the minutes to that second unit, Horn already has said they play with more energy on D and the ball moves better, and see if they can put together a winning streak to make the playoffs. If they do, you pretty much force Melo to waive his NTC because he's not going to take kindly to being a second fiddle the rest of the way, same with DRose, he'll opt to go elsewhere.

If the young guys don't win the Knicks get a better pick in the draft and PJ knows he's got to blow up the team during the off-season. The last thing I would do is play the 2 highest paid guys on the team Melo and DRose major minutes the rest of the way.

this makes sense, but i have to disagree with it just a little bit. First off, i seriously doubt we're getting into the play-offs. i just don't see the kind of winning streak that would be needed for that. but it would make sense for horn to give a lot more playing time to the younger dudes. and i don't think they necessarily have to blow up the team. here's what i think they need to do.
1. let phil make his draft picks, then send him AND rambis packing. we don't need their mind game manipulative and sabotaging shenanigans next year at all.
2. if we don't pick up an NBA ready PG in the draft, try to pick up the best available PG in free agency.
3. develop and work a lot with randle, baker and plumlee. seriously give these guys a lot of attention over the summer. baby-gasol, IMO, won't need as much attention, but of course it would be a smart thing to do.
4. try everything you can to get rid of noah's contract.
5. and hey, if you can get melo to waive his NTC, then so be it. let him go to a team that is sure to get into the playoffs and open up a roster spot and a lot of cap space for another player or a couple of players. and then when the knicks STILL suck next year we can come up with creative ways to still blame him hahaaaa. or we'll shift all the blame to KP for some reason or another.

paris401

Starter
I keep hearing this NTC bull....

if he didn't have this clause what teams would be banging down the doors for his services??? the answer is ZERO...

Broadway

All Star
this makes sense, but i have to disagree with it just a little bit. First off, i seriously doubt we're getting into the play-offs. i just don't see the kind of winning streak that would be needed for that. but it would make sense for horn to give a lot more playing time to the younger dudes. and i don't think they necessarily have to blow up the team. here's what i think they need to do.
1. let phil make his draft picks, then send him AND rambis packing. we don't need their mind game manipulative and sabotaging shenanigans next year at all.
2. if we don't pick up an NBA ready PG in the draft, try to pick up the best available PG in free agency.
3. develop and work a lot with randle, baker and plumlee. seriously give these guys a lot of attention over the summer. baby-gasol, IMO, won't need as much attention, but of course it would be a smart thing to do.
4. try everything you can to get rid of noah's contract.
5. and hey, if you can get melo to waive his NTC, then so be it. let him go to a team that is sure to get into the playoffs and open up a roster spot and a lot of cap space for another player or a couple of players. and then when the knicks STILL suck next year we can come up with creative ways to still blame him hahaaaa. or we'll shift all the blame to KP for some reason or another.

You know I always wondered how analyst come up with ways to project certain metrics throughout any given season(start-to-finish). I think I saw someone post, maybe it was Tig or maybe it was a tweet I saw from Begley that stated a couple weeks ago Knicks had like a 4.9% chance of making the playoffs. In others words we're not making the playoffs. But once again what do they look at to determine this?

Obvious things such as season team trends...winning streaks, losing streaks, record vs winning teams, record vs conference, record vs division, road record, home record, back-to-backs etc etc with remaining games on the schedule(SOS).

But to gauge more current trends they look at spans of games and team outcomes, 10-20gm stretches of "the field" play and current Power Rankings in comparison with Historical data. Teams don't go on wild 180 turnarounds with fringe/slightly above average players to close a season, there's a reason it rarely if ever happens.

Currently over half the league last 10gm stretch are winning at approximately 40-60% clip, this trend will continue over the next 10-20gms you can take that to the bank. That means being 5-6gms behind any spot for the matter whether you're going for the 8th seed or 1st seed, you're not making up this kind of ground with only 18gms left to play. A team essentially has to win at a 80% clip or better. A team that has been sub .500 all yr is not going to close a season out at this rate. Heck I'm not sure a Top 5 All-Time G.O.A.T list could with the remaining games left.

And1 you're correct we aren't making the playoffs no matter the mathematics stating we're on life support and could potentially awake from a coma. We aren't going to lose every game remaining and we aren't going to win every game remaining. The games we win, we want to duplicate what took place yesterday while at the same time tempering the results because some teams clearly aren't interested in winning/competing this time of year.

tiger0330

Legend
Phil and Mills still piss me off. The Knicks got lucky the kid was on the floor yesterday, if it wasn't for the Sixers needing a roster spot to pull off the Noel trade and the fact he was on a rookie deal he would still be playing for the Sixers. PJ and Mills are boneheads for letting him go in the first place over a guys like Sasha or Ndour.

3 years of moves like trading for JC, giving the Cavs 2 key players for their chip etc you wind up with the crap you see now.

Kiyaman

Legend

PJ and Melo relationship ended before the trading deadline .. why are they still together?
Our two CEO Phil & Melo dont work well on the court / or at selecting draft picks / or signing FA / or trading players .. why are they still together?

Its to late in the season (26-38) to go on a playoff run using the depth-players we should have been using early in the season .. could our bench players go on a 15-3 run like the winning mediocre Miami Heat did the past two months? i doubt it with coach Horn poor substitution.
No matter how the remaining season turn out at the end of the season we fans will be wondering how many new players will Phil add next season? 5 or less? or 6 or more?