Are the Knicks doing enough to develop Porzingis?

Kiyaman

Legend
KP better work on that post game with someone, maybe Noah can teach him something. KAT is beasting and has similar skill sets to Porzingis, both won the Skills Contest at the ASG, both can shoot the 3, the difference between the 2 is their post games. Porzingis plays mostly a face up game and gets his shot challenged, KAT goes to the hook shot and has his off arm and body between him and the defender to get off his shot or uses his footwork to shed his defender. The difference, KAT is averaging 28pts over his last 20 and set the Wolves club record for most consecutive 20 pt games. I'm tired of KP chucking up 30 ft 3 pt shots like he's the NBA 's best 3 pt pt shooter.

Hopefully .. Willy & KP will invite themselves to Noah's summer-camp plus the two should work-out together in the Knicks offseason practice gym for 6 weeks .. KP has to buff up in the weight room throughout the offseason .. KP need to pickup a few of Willie inside scoring moves in order to switch position as a front-court tandem.
What the Knicks coaching staff need are for Noah to teach both KP & Willie how to distribute the ball-first .. instead of putting the ball below their chest to dribble in a halfcourt setting play .. as if they are isolation-Melo taking 5 dribble to get to his fake than stop jumper spot SMH
Next season the future Knicks KP will need a healthy Noah to play the majority of the season for Noah's defensive leadership on the court for the Knicks to have a successful season without Melo on the team .. Phil is going to trade Melo in the offseason right ???

KAT remind me of the $76M rookie out of High-School name Keven Garnett the Timberwolves draft back in the daze .. I stop comparing all the 2016 draft class to KAT elite performance .. KAT is in the same Class of performance as Anthony Davis and Giannis, and soon to be Embiid if he play a full season next year.

and1

Rotation player
what u mean to say .. after a year n half Melo has not taught or showed young KP how to establish a decent PICK for his teammates to go around" .. Melo has control over the offensive ball plus its Melo's decision on who gets the ball on Knicks offensive-possession for 35 minutes per game .. Melo been controlling the ball from Melo's first full season as a Knicks in 2011-12 .. during Melo time as a Knick only 2 Knick players took control over the offense ex-Jeremy Lin and ex-Jason Kidd .. Lin and Kidd gave the Knicks the only two decent seasons we had with Melo.

Phil Jackson and Horn better start being real nice to Joakim Noah .. just so Noah could take KP under his wing throughout the offseason to teach KP the STEPS inside/outside the paint to box-out, score, rebound, n pass, plus set decent screens on the perimeter, and 15 ft pick n roll that scores.

being real nice to noah? for what? for ripping us off? for demanding a contract that's more valuable then he is actually worth as a player? why the hell should they be nice to him for that? are you serious, man? haven't they been nice enough to him already? i think it's the other way around, dude. noah should be nice to us for giving him a bunch of money for pretty much nothing. he should be nice and go and tear the contract up so we can move on to someone else with that money.
be real nice to noah? smh

tiger0330

Legend
I was just reading Porzingis credits 2 coaches Josh Longstaff and Dave Bliss as the player development coaches that he works with on the Knicks. He says nice things about them but I doubt they're providing high level big man coaching to him.

Looks like he's going back to Latvia in the off-season and wants to train with Dirk some but I'm not hearing about an overall commitment to getting stronger and developing a post game. I think it was AD's 3rd season he committed to a strength and conditioning program and I hope KP does the same.

paris401

Starter
being real nice to noah? for what? for ripping us off? for demanding a contract that's more valuable then he is actually worth as a player? why the hell should they be nice to him for that? are you serious, man? haven't they been nice enough to him already? i think it's the other way around, dude. noah should be nice to us for giving him a bunch of money for pretty much nothing. he should be nice and go and tear the contract up so we can move on to someone else with that money.

its a business for both parties... give us a name...one name... of someone who gave back $$$$... or an owner who gave the player extra $$$$ for an performance... waiting....

pat

Starter
I was just reading Porzingis credits 2 coaches Josh Longstaff and Dave Bliss as the player development coaches that he works with on the Knicks. He says nice things about them but I doubt they're providing high level big man coaching to him.

Looks like he's going back to Latvia in the off-season and wants to train with Dirk some but I'm not hearing about an overall commitment to getting stronger and developing a post game. I think it was AD's 3rd season he committed to a strength and conditioning program and I hope KP does the same.

Let him dance to opera dribbling in rhythm, let him walk in a hand stand, let him spin and shoot until he gets dizzy in his head ... Let him work with Holger. Bulking up is only an option as long as it doesn't mess with his mechanics.

Kiyaman

Legend

Yep .. the Knicks management and coaching-staff has to ask Noah kindly to tutor KP n Willie on setting-up defensively n offensively inside the paint as a tandem weapon in a lineup .. Noah happen to be the only one with the Big-Man tools to help KP and Willie mix it up together

Broadway

All Star
Ha Ha #kporzee always saw through the bs with this team. He didn't even take the team seriously when supposedly we were playing well, which means he probably doubted we were a playoff team. Does anyone find this quite interesting?

The college game may be foreign to Porzingis but the second-year forward has a pretty good read on the NBA and the Knicks. In fact, Porzingis repeated on Sunday what he said in early January, at a time when the Knicks had every reason to believe they’d qualify for the playoffs. Porzingis felt something was wrong with the team then and his instincts were spot on.

“I think it was pretty easy to tell from the inside that we’re not that good of a team,” Porzingis said at the team’s hotel here. “We can win games based off of our talent but that’s not going to last long and that’s exactly what happened."

I'm sure he saw what I saw which was at best a 36 win team. My gripe with him once again is his personal development and the Melo angle. I wonder if he's playing the media game and catching on to how things work in NY? IMO I don't think he needs do this, I think he can be a straight shooter top to bottom when talking to the media without worrying about hurting feelings. So let's roll with he and Melo being cool and him thinking the triangle should have been accepted by the team from jump. If this is solid standing then what doesn't he like about the team?

What a mess, what a disaster. In other words he's all but telling Phil don't bring this same team back next yr

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
Yep .. the Knicks management and coaching-staff has to ask Noah kindly to tutor KP n Willie on setting-up defensively n offensively inside the paint as a tandem weapon in a lineup .. Noah happen to be the only one with the Big-Man tools to help KP and Willie mix it up together

why isn't he doing that already? he should be, for the money he's being paid to basically do nothing but ride pine.

mafra

Legend
Jeff Hornacek agreed with Kristaps Porzingis' notion from last week that the Knicks did not play like a team this season, and felt that the team's downfall was because his players were not unselfish enough on the offensive end.

"You see teams - open guys always end up with the ball,'' Hornacek told Marc Berman of the New York Post at Monday's morning shootaround before the Knicks faced the Clippers at Staples Center. "Here we do it in spurts. Then we have spurts where it sticks. One guy will take a shot that maybe he can move it on for a better shot. That's probably the biggest key is we get the good shots. We don't get the great shots. If we make one extra, we'll get a great shot. You see the good teams out there, they pass it up for better ones.''

Hornacek hinted that the offensive skill level of New York's trio - Porzingis, Carmelo Anthony, and Derrick Rose - may have acted as a double-edged sword, as it led to them constantly looking to take shots instead of making the extra pass.

"It could be a lot of guys know how to score,'' said Hornacek. "When that happens, sometimes you can look at our guys across the board, Carmelo, KP, Courtney [Lee]. When they get a good shot, you think they're going to make it. That's where we didn't do a good job to try to get that great pass.''

While Hornacek might think the team's tendency to be selfish on the offensive end of the court led to this year's struggles, statistics show the Knicks' defense as the larger weakness this season.

New York entered Monday's game against the Clippers at 27-42, already out of the playoff race, and 25th in defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) at 108.6.

"A year of inconsistency with stretches of good defense. Then so much effort on defense that game, the offense slacked,'' said Hornacek. "We never got the combination of the two. Defense is hard. The way it's played today, with the way the court [is] spread, you got to put a lot of effort in trying to stop a pick-and-roll, being in the paint, closing out on a shooter, the moment a guy drives, have to rotate to the next guy, scramble a little bit. It takes a lot of effort to do it on both ends. It takes a lot. We never got there.''

mafra

Legend
Shaquille O'Neal praised Knicks team president Phil Jackson and credited his triangle offense as a main reason for the Lakers winning three championships while the two were together in Los Angeles, writes the NY Post.

Shaq played under Jackson from 1999-2004 with the Lakers and is a strong proponent of the offensive system. He blamed the players for failing to commit to the system in New York as the reason why it has not worked during Jackson's tenure with the Knicks.

"If you look at how the second team runs the triangle, guys who don't have a lot of experience in the game and a lot of habits, they ran a lot of it late in the fourth quarter and got a couple of backdoor plays,'' O'Neal said. "It definitely does work. Look at the guys, when Phil put this team together, I was liking it: Porzingis, Carmelo, Rose, [Joakim] Noah. I said, 'OK, it's going to work if they embrace the triangle. I like it.' But again, the ball can never stop.''

Carmelo Anthony has received the brunt of the criticism for not keeping the ball moving. Shaq recalled facing some of those same issues in his early days of playing in the triangle.

"Guys are stubborn - it took us awhile to break it, too,'' O'Neal said. "When we first started, we were doing terrible. I had to look at the mirror and say, 'OK, I was probably one of the main problems.' Because I like to get the ball and tell everyone to move out of the way and get to work, so I had to look at the mirror and say, 'Let me try it.' It became easier. I get it. [Guys] cutting, and it opened up for me and made it easier for me.''

The Knicks have fluctuated in and out of the triangle offense this season and are currently 27-43.

?I have three championships because of the triangle,?? O?Neal said late Monday in Los Angeles after calling the Knicks-Clippers game for TNT alongside ex-Knicks coach Derek Fisher.

?You always hear people say, of course the triangle works with Mike [Michael Jordan], Scottie [Pippen], Shaq and Kobe [Bryant], which is true. But if you look at all our games, it was the others who propelled us to the next level.?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
One day after he sounded as if his future in New York was in doubt, Anthony revealed Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek told him at Tuesday?s practice that his minutes will decrease, so the coach can get a closer look at their six rookies. With the Knicks at 27-43, out of the playoff race and facing the Jazz Wednesday, Anthony said he?s OK with it.

?Coach is starting to realize ? he mentioned today he?s going to start shortening minutes,?? Anthony said. ?I?ve been understanding with the situation. I understand.??

?My role won?t change as far as helping guys out,?? Anthony said after a weight-lifting session. ?When I?m out there, I?ll play. When I?m not, I?ll help everyone else. I?ll still come in here and get my work done.

?All the young guys, it?s an opportunity to get that experience instead of getting practice experience, individual workouts ? actually getting it live and direct in a game against top-level opponents. It?s best to take advantage of that and for me to help them.??

With both having played for Duke/U.S. Olympic Team coach Mike Krzyzewski, Anthony has an affinity for undrafted rookie center Marshall Plumlee, who collected 20 minutes against the Clippers.

?I?ve come to peace with that,?? Anthony said of being out of the race. ?I?m not happy about it. I?m not sad about it. I?m at peace with it.??

tiger0330

Legend
Can't fault the kid for wanting to go home to Latvia in the off-season but I would prefer he stay in NY and do his training under the supervision of the Knicks. Like I said, I question the how the Knicks are handling the development of someone who is so important to the future of the Knicks. They should take his development more seriously, send over a trainer and big man coach and work with the kid in Latvia instead of leaving it to him to develop his game.

Kristaps Porzingis is eager to get back in the gym, and the way he described his offseason plan, it sounds as if he plans to take up residence there.

“No. 1 [goal] is getting in that weight room and living in there, basically,” Porzingis said Wednesday night. “I’m going to be in there twice a day and then I’m going to be twice a day on the basketball court as well, just working on everything.
“It’s going to be a huge summer for me. I’m going to be in the gym 24/7 to get better and to come back next season stronger.”
The Knicks’ 7-3, 240-pound forward said similar things going into the offseason after his rookie season a year ago, but he insists there are differences.
“I’m going to be lifting and I’ll be boxing and some things I haven’t done before,” Porzingis said. “I’m going to work on some things that are not attached to basketball and maybe that can help my game.”
Porzingis, who missed 16 games this season, was sidelined for the final five games because of a sore lower back. He was a spectator Wednesday night when the Knicks (31-51) ended 2016-17 with a 114-113 victory over the 76ers, tying them with Minnesota for the sixth-worst record in the league. He said his back is improving and that he’s close to being able to resume his normal physical activities.
It’s an important offseason for Porzingis because he could find himself in a different position next season. If Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks go their separate ways, Porzingis likely will become the focal point of the offense. He has yet to prove he can be a go-to player in the NBA, but he said he will be ready if and when the time comes.
“I haven’t thought about that,” he said. “I really focused on getting better as a player. Once that time comes, I’m sure I’ll be ready. If that happens, whatever happens, I’ve got to stay ready, work on my game. I’ve got to still get better and then we’ll see.’’
Porzingis, who averaged 18.1 points per game, which ranked second on the Knicks behind Anthony, said he wants to be able to play in the post and will work on strengthening his lower body. He believes he improved from Year 1 and that there’s another level he can reach.
Porzingis said he would like to work out with Mavericks icon Dirk Nowitzki if it can be arranged. He also said he plans to go home to Latvia to train and limit his travel this offseason. He has to go to Asia for a couple of promotional events with adidas but doesn’t want anything to interfere with his workouts.
“I’m leaning toward staying back home and just being really focused and putting all my energy into working at that moment and not travel around and do what other guys are doing,” Porzingis said. “Just focus on my individual work. I think I’m going to try to do as little traveling as I can and just stay in one place and focus.
“I have it more clear when I want to work out, what time, for how long, what I need to work on more, what I need to focus on. It’s a little more clear what I want to do this offseason. Now it’s time to get to work.”

Broadway

All Star
Can't fault the kid for wanting to go home to Latvia in the off-season but I would prefer he stay in NY and do his training under the supervision of the Knicks. Like I said, I question the how the Knicks are handling the development of someone who is so important to the future of the Knicks. They should take his development more seriously, send over a trainer and big man coach and work with the kid in Latvia instead of leaving it to him to develop his game.

I'll give him a free pass this yr, if he sticks to the regimen and maybe have someone from the org come out to check on his progression. If it produces results then wonderful, if not I totally agree with you Tig keep his but in the states and become an animal during the offseason. I think he misses home and doesn't want any distractions from the hustle and bustle in the states particularly New York. There's gonna be drama with our franchise anyway with Melo cloud still hovering and the draft

Meanwhile the Mavs organization is having their 1-2yr players stick around and they'll train mid-May and mid-June in what equates to a minicamp. This is why you hear the word "culture" thrown around a lot. Some organizations just run things differently than others

and1

Rotation player
i think they're more concerned with developing the mind-game they're playing on this kid rather than his development as a baller and athlete.
oh but wait, they're going to pressure him to be more of a post up player, something he's clearly not comfortable with. right, i almost forgot about that.

and1

Rotation player
and now it's looking like KP wants to play in Euro tournament this summer, with his bad back and achilles issues.
can't wait to see how that turns out!

tiger0330

Legend
He went back to Latvia today. Hes on his own until training camp, I haven't heard the Knicks are sending anyone over there but he better not fool around with his weight training, the Greek Freak has put on 30 pounds of muscle since he came into the league at 196, he's now 225 of solid muscle. Want to be the best in the game, do what Ante did live in the weight room.

Broadway

All Star
He went back to Latvia today. Hes on his own until training camp, I haven't heard the Knicks are sending anyone over there but he better not fool around with his weight training, the Greek Freak has put on 30 pounds of muscle since he came into the league at 196, he's now 225 of solid muscle. Want to be the best in the game, do what Ante did live in the weight room.

Yeah he made an exceptional transformation