Knicks reportedly interested in drafting Ntilikina, Monk

mafra

Legend
Time to prep for draft talk.... NYK has a lottery pick and 2 second round selections....

-------///////////////

The Knicks, who could have a top-10 pick in this year's NBA Draft, are interested in selecting Frank Ntilikina or Malik Monk, reports ESPN New York's Ian Begley.

Ntilikina, a 6-foot-5 French guard, is considered to possibly be a lottery pick with his quickness at the guard position.

Kentucky's Monk has averaged 20.2 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists this season.

The reported interest in both Ntilikina and Monk gives an immediate idea of the type of player the Knicks are hoping to nab, come June's NBA Draft. Phil Jackson has always had an appreciation for taller, stronger point guards, even dating back to his coaching days.

Interestingly enough, both guards will likely go through some sort of transition period. Whereas some prospects may be ready to jump right in and play a role, each aforementioned player will need additional maturation time. Still just 18 years old, Ntilikina will need to adjust to the nuances of the NBA game and learn how to build up communication with his teammates. Ntilikina has an unselfish nature about his play, but his instincts need to develop some. His real uniqueness comes on the defensive end, where he has great awareness. Ntilikina switches well, has solid lateral quickness, and is strong enough to cover both guard positions.

On the other hand, Monk has a more natural explosiveness about him. He attacks the basket and gets down the court with ease. Monk has eyes for the basket and likes to score. However, if his teammates are quick enough to run with him, he'll likely provide his team with a taste of "Lob City," ala the Clippers' brand of basketball. Starting alongside De'Aaron Fox at Kentucky this season, Monk has mostly had to defer and play off the ball. He'll likely need to come into his own as a floor general and someone who can naturally get others involved.

The fact that Ntilikina and Monk will both need time to develop sort of aligns with the Knicks' reported intrigue in a more veteran floor general like Jrue Holiday or Jeff Teague. A player like that could provide New York with the leadership they need right away, while serving as a mentor to a young prospect still finding their way.

Whereas a more seasoned player (who played more lead guard in college) may be able to help pace the Knicks' offense early on, both Ntilikina and Monk seem to have greater upside. This would finally prove the Knicks are exhibiting the type of patience they need, with regard to building a stronger team for a more sustainable long term run.

(Keith Schlosser at theknicksblog)

Also, check out the Ian Begley article:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ary-tidings-phil-jackson-three-years-new-york

I'm glad you started this thread. It will be interesting to see how the players we are linked to evolve over time leading up to the draft. I want a franchise guard so bad, I can taste it.

mafra

Legend
I prefer the left-handed, explosive and defensively-inclined PG Fox over his backcourt buddy Monk.

Broadway

All Star
Watching this NCAA Tourney really just underscores how bad Phil blew it by not tearing this thing down a while ago. The talent that stands to come into this league this summer is mind blowing. Kansas must have 4 pros on their team alone, that Josh Jackson is absolutely insane...FMIII is also pretty solid himself

At least we stand a great chance to land a really good to potentially special player but we need so much more in order to compete to win in late Spring

Kiyaman

Legend
Watching this NCAA Tourney really just underscores how bad Phil blew it by not tearing this thing down a while ago. The talent that stands to come into this league this summer is mind blowing. Kansas must have 4 pros on their team alone, that Josh Jackson is absolutely insane...FMIII is also pretty solid himself

At least we stand a great chance to land a really good to potentially special player but we need so much more in order to compete to win in late Spring

I have to agree .. Kansas has me at winning it all, or making it to the FINALS.
Josh Jackson n Kalieb (Caleb) tandem is a monster to match up against.

The Sweet 16 games will be exciting with several future NBA stars .. hopefully Phil and Knicks scouts will be watching ..
I fell for UCLA freshmen PG-Lonzo Ball play-making style of lifting teammates performance .. the next CP3

One Mock Draft I saw online today, had the following top 7:

1 - Boston - Markelle Fultz
2 - Lakers - Lonzo Ball
3 - Phoenix - Jaysum Tatum
4 - Orlando - Josh Jackson
5 - Philly - De'Aaron Fox
6 - Sacramento - Jonathan Isaac
7 - Knicks - Frank Ntilikina

And then it had Malik Monk staying on the board all the way to #10 going to the Twolves.

Obviously, it's really silly to care about a mock draft in March for a lot of reasons, not the least of which being that the draft is decided by lottery and not by final record, so all kinds of crazy nonsense can happy with the draft order.

But, the one thing that struck me from this mock draft was that they had 4 PGs projected in the top 7, but among the teams that by record would be in this simplified top 7, a bunch of them already have young very good to star caliber PGs. If we're looking PG, this could be our year to take advantage of that and maybe find a way to trade up whatever handful of spots we need to get an even better PG off the board.

Say hypothetically we do end up with the 7th pick, do we potentially have an asset to package the 7th pick and something else to move up and get Ball or Fultz or would we be happy with the best available PG like Ntilikina?

Again, crazy, way too early speculation, but something that occurred to me today.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks remaining schedule is no cake walk. I could see us going 3-10 the rest of the way giving us the 4th of 5th worse record. Josh Jackson could be ours or maybe Fox.

I think Philly, Orlando, Lakers, Suns, and Kings are all going to be tough to out-tank for the 2nd through 6th worst records. I'm actually more worried that Minny will out-tank us again like 2 years ago and even New Orleans, despite having 2 of the best big men in the game, might out-tank us too. I could easily see us ending up with the 9th worst record in the NBA.

On the other hand, all you got to do is get in the lottery and maybe this will be our year to have our ball picked and we'll actually move up in the final pick order for once.

and1

Rotation player
i don't know much about the guys in this draft. i haven't paid much attention to college ball this year. but i'll tell you this...
it won't really matter who we draft if phil and rambis are still here next year. they could draft the next lebron james FFS and it won't matter. these 2 bozos will find a way to ruin it.

tiger0330

Legend
i don't know much about the guys in this draft. i haven't paid much attention to college ball this year. but i'll tell you this...
it won't really matter who we draft if phil and rambis are still here next year. they could draft the next lebron james FFS and it won't matter. these 2 bozos will find a way to ruin it.
Knicks absolutely have to get a stud out of the draft this year. What do the Knicks have to look forward to next year, 3 more years of Noah, CLee and Lance smh. Absolutely need a Josh Jackson or Fox to pair with KP or maybe if the Knicks get real lucky Fultz or Ball. It would be nice if PJ resigned as well and took Rambis with him.

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks remaining schedule is no cake walk. I could see us going 3-10 the rest of the way giving us the 4th of 5th worse record. Josh Jackson could be ours or maybe Fox.
Knicks have the 4th toughest schedule in the NBA based on net rating per 100 possessions according to this, calls our schedule very tank friendly. If Hornacek plays those lineups he played yesterday, he can improve the chances that a tough schedule means we lose as many games as possible.

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2...-season-ending-schedule-is-very-tank-friendly

mafra

Legend
It looks like the bestbwe can honestly "hope" for is to finish with the 5-7th worst record.... worst case scenario has us slipping all the way to 10th-11th.

So, a sixth worst finish is about the best, no?

Still, it comes down to ping pongs.... like how Lakers jumped up 2 years ago.... at the 6th worst rgame cord we would have a slight chance to jump up to the 1-2 spot.

I fell, as long as we get a top 7 pick we should be golden.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think we'll finish worse than the Nets, Lakers and Suns but the Sixers, Magic and TWolves and Kings along with the Knicks are vying for the 4th worse record. Hornacek went tank with those lineups yesterday, playing the rookies in pairings with the vets for the first time this season.

Sixers are our final regular season game maybe it'll come down to who wins that one for the honor of the 4th worse regular season record. There's a big difference between the 4th and 7th seed as far as a teams lottery chances.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks have told Melo he will play less minutes; they want to evaluate the kids. Tank!

Melo is to old to change from his SELFISH-selfish performance, we never should have traded for Melo in 2011, we never should have resign Melo, and owner Dolan should have personally traded Melo ASAP when he announced going FA in Nov. 2013 plus gave the Knicks a 3-13 start of the season in November.
Rose equal Melo selfishness that need to be sign n trade July 1st, and Melo traded on draft night.
Rebuild Knicks without Melo & Rose!
Let Noah run the offense/defense next season!

Our young players has already been evaluated in our 70 game performance.
1) KP is not a starter nor is KP a finisher, KP is a 24 minute per game Role-Player that need a lot of work on his low post game and inside scoring 10 ft from the basket, plus KP has a problem running back on every defensive possession.

2) Baker and Kuz should have been in the D.League for 2/3rd of the season to receive 30 minutes a game to work on their all-around skills and stamminer, plus how to run back to be the first one on defense, both guys let opponents fly past them to score on fast break baskets.

3) Plumlee is a 15th man on the roster to replace injured bigmen, Plumlee need much work on his movements in the paint on both sides of the court to grab offense/defense rebounds, plus Plumlee raw talent should have a strong-forward (Quinn or HGM) in the lineup with him to show Plumlee how far from the basket to screen n box-out for teammates.
Melo and KP are to weak n slow at the PF position to be in a lineup with Plumlee.

4) Randle is dynamic on offense having speed and great passing abilities, but FRAGILE on the defensive end.

5) HGM (Willie) has all the tools / skills to be a double-double PF role-player off the bench for 24 min playing-time.
Willie and Quinn together coming off the bench would have been our tandem twin-tower PF to MAN the paint in the frontcourt to give opponents only one shot by grabbing 95% of the defensive-rebounds to push the ball with lob passes to our uptempo ex-PG Jennings to score on fast-breaks to stay a .500 team .. HGM & Quinn would be as devastating as the Grizz Gasol & Zach, or Clips DeAndre & Blake, or Pelicans Cousins & Davis tandem.

6) Holiday is a Keeper that need to work on gellin n passing in the backcourt with backup Randle / Baker .. Holiday's poor defense need work on staying in-front of the guards he's defending.

Kiyaman

Legend

I agree .. the development of young players has never been associated with Phil or Rambis coaching career.
Plus the average Knick fan feels KP progress in 2nd season has regress from rookie performance ..
KP has no chemistry with any of his teammates, plus has had a inconsistent 2nd season performance that makes u question his ability to be a future star in the league.
Head-coach Hornacek poor coaching gave spot-minute to some young players, and the young players who receive steady minutes (KP/Kuz/Baker) were clueless of the team system for the coach trying something new each game, showing Knick fans how clueless and inconsistent the Knicks were as a team.

If we do receive a great player out of the 1 to 10 lottery pick, our poor coaching-staff plus our mismanagement organization will teach the rookie how to be a LOSER .. SMH

and1

Rotation player
I agree .. the development of young players has never been associated with Phil or Rambis coaching career.
Plus the average Knick fan feels KP progress in 2nd season has regress from rookie performance ..
KP has no chemistry with any of his teammates, plus has had a inconsistent 2nd season performance that makes u question his ability to be a future star in the league.
Head-coach Hornacek poor coaching gave spot-minute to some young players, and the young players who receive steady minutes (KP/Kuz/Baker) were clueless of the team system for the coach trying something new each game, showing Knick fans how clueless and inconsistent the Knicks were as a team.

If we do receive a great player out of the 1 to 10 lottery pick, our poor coaching-staff plus our mismanagement organization will teach the rookie how to be a LOSER .. SMH

phil and rambis need to go. at first i was willing to let phil make his draft pick and then send him packing, but now that i think about it some more i think we should let him go as soon as the season ends, like literally as soon as the buzzer sounds at the end of the 82nd game.
i say we give horn another season to see what he can do without rambis (aka phil's spy/saboteur) breathing down his neck. we have to assume that most of horn's decisions were made on account of manipulative pressure coming down from phil's office. remember, KP wasn't looking so bad when the team was actually winning games back in december. at worst, he was looking like a not-so-bad sophomore slump that is not a very uncommon thing in the nba, especially with european players who are still kind of trying to figure out the nba game and how they fit into it.
no matter who we draft or sign in FA this summer, we will be awful if phil and rambis are here next year. the triangle is getting us nowhere and our defense will continue to be awful. period.

Kiyaman

Legend
phil and rambis need to go. at first i was willing to let phil make his draft pick and then send him packing, but now that i think about it some more i think we should let him go as soon as the season ends, like literally as soon as the buzzer sounds at the end of the 82nd game.
i say we give horn another season to see what he can do without rambis (aka phil's spy/saboteur) breathing down his neck. we have to assume that most of horn's decisions were made on account of manipulative pressure coming down from phil's office. remember, KP wasn't looking so bad when the team was actually winning games back in december. at worst, he was looking like a not-so-bad sophomore slump that is not a very uncommon thing in the nba, especially with european players who are still kind of trying to figure out the nba game and how they fit into it.
no matter who we draft or sign in FA this summer, we will be awful if phil and rambis are here next year. the triangle is getting us nowhere and our defense will continue to be awful. period.

So true .. Phil & Rambis has worn out their welcome in NY, we only need Phil to trade Melo's outrageous 2 year contract .. the Melo trade has to be done early June on draft night or early July.
We will receive better offers for Phil's job with Melo remove from the team in order to rebuild management, coaching-staff, and a new franchise player again.

To bad Dolan has disagreements with Ewing and Oakley two ex-Knick players that could help KP with his overall performance as coach.